PDA

View Full Version : When did Disney lose it?

Bartholomew
12-03-2007, 04:38 AM
I used to love Disney movies as a kid. I still have a fondness for some of the "classics" like Aladdin, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast and yes even the Little Mermaid too.

Well, I rented Meet the Robinsons and I thought it was so bad that I couldn't even sit through the entire thing. Full of cliches and over exaggerations imo.

Then it occured to me that I haven't enjoyed a Disney movie that wasn't sourced out to Pixar for years now.

When did and why did it all go wrong?

Anyone out there still like Disney?

lord odin
12-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Pretty woman.

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 09:23 AM
The problem with Disney shows is that they make 99 percent of their movies for girls age 10 and younger...

My 10 year old boy hasn't watched a Disney movie (and I'm not counting PIXAR) in a long time..

Make a dam cartoon without all the needless singing for once :banghead:

Ink
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
after hercules, disney shut down the animation studio. why??.....who the hell knows. it's been computer generated stuff for years now, I wish they'd go back to the hand drawn stuff

The Watcher
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
December 15th, 1966.

Bullseye
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
You guys don't like Pixar?

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Bulls, we like Pixar, but we aren't counting them in this. Just pure Disney movies.

Bullseye
12-03-2007, 10:56 AM
But Pixar are the future of Disney animation no? They have Miramax, BVista and have made alot of movies with Jerry Bruckheimer including the Pirates Trilogy. I think they are producing some good films.

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
But Pixar are the future of Disney animation no? They have Miramax, BVista and have made alot of movies with Jerry Bruckheimer including the Pirates Trilogy. I think they are producing some good films.

No you are right, I think the person who started the thread was talking about pure Disney cartoons like Hercules, etc.

PIXAR is awesome, but they aren't really Disney.

abarron
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Emporers New Groove is great.
But as i kid we stopped at Aladdin
Not sure what happened but the have gone downhill

Bullseye
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Ah. The old Jungle Book etc. Those were awesome but i guess we are moving towards CGi animation now, even Dreamworks stuff is CGi. Maybe only the Japanese are using the old techniques but even they are using some CGi.

Trilogy
12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Most Disney animations are still good. I don`t like their straight to DVD sequels they have a habit of releasing though.

SavItOut
12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Most Disney animations are still good. I don`t like their straight to DVD sequels they have a habit of releasing though.

Yes, and some sequels looked rushed and the drawings don't look as detailed as the first.

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
they just make them too much for girls..if you could have a good cartoon without all the singing..more boys and adults would flock to it

thecallahan
12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Why do you say that Cougartrace? All of the pre 96 or so movies for the most part all had singing in it and it the movies were awesome.

ie; Aladdin, Jungle Book, Lion King, Fantasia, etc.

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Well, Jungle Book and Lion King was good and it still had some elements for boys..

Aladdin..cmon now...

endsongjen
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
disney has gone down a bit. i remember watching everything they released. not anymore.

but i gotta admit i saw enchanted with my daughter and we both really enjoyed the film. its got some animation. and ratatouille was good too. so hopefully they start making classics again.

joy_division
12-03-2007, 01:25 PM
let's face it: when it comes to animation, pixar IS disney now

Trilogy
12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, and some sequels looked rushed and the drawings don't look as detailed as the first.

I agree.

Trilogy
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
they just make them too much for girls..if you could have a good cartoon without all the singing..more boys and adults would flock to it

I think most expect singing in Disney animations. It`s like a tradition.

endsongjen
12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
exactly. like the classics, damn i need to watch 101 dalmations now.

Red X
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Ever since Tarzan, the last enjoyable Disney film I saw was Lilo and Stitch, that came out in 02'.

None of the newer Disney films capture that magic, Pixar is where it's at now. Nemo had so much more heart and soul than say Chicken Little which was all disney.

Bartholomew
12-03-2007, 02:21 PM
after hercules, disney shut down the animation studio. why??.....who the hell knows. it's been computer generated stuff for years now, I wish they'd go back to the hand drawn stuff

Yeah I miss the hand drawn stuff. CGI is nice, but it's getting a little tiresome now that everything is cgi.

December 15th, 1966.

Walt Disney's death? I guess you can view like that, but I still contend they made good movies after his death too.

You guys don't like Pixar?

I love Pixar. Ratatouille, the Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are excellent. But the in house Disney flicks are so bad...

Bartholomew
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM

lol! I was just thinking about that after I saw a commercial for Cinderella 3! bwahaha. I was laughing so hard. It's supposed to be happily ever after, not the wicked step mother finds the magic wand and decides to change time. :laugh: :eplus2:

Bartholomew
12-03-2007, 02:25 PM

It's not the singing...If it's done well the singing can be quite good. Almost like a musical. Aladdin and Little Mermaid had some really catchy tunes...

There's just something I can't pinpoint that really drives me away from the current Disney fare.

HelloKinky
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Now that Lasseter is on board, him with Eisner I believe his name is, are working on cutting down on the direct to video releases, and trying to push Disney to start pumping their own stuff again by doing a film every 18 months rather then a couple of years with Video sequels scattered throughout. I gotta say this happening for Disney animation is the best that could have happened to it. And we're not talking about Buena Vista or Miramax and all that other live action stuff.
Lilo & Stitch was definitely their last great film.

endsongjen
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
lilo and stitch was the last great one, with music and all. brother bear and home on the range followed that they werent great.

cougartrace
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I think most expect singing in Disney animations. It`s like a tradition.

well the tradition can change, because if you are looking at the Disney done cartoon movies (not PIXAR), they haven't done that well at the box office.

patrickwm68
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I could never understand why Disney makes their own CGI films like Dinosaur, Chicken Little, etc. when they already have Pixar doing it.

Trilogy
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
lol! I was just thinking about that after I saw a commercial for Cinderella 3! bwahaha. I was laughing so hard. It's supposed to be happily ever after, not the wicked step mother finds the magic wand and decides to change time. :laugh: :eplus2:

Cinderella 3?! lol

bat_collector
12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
the market isn't there for tradiational cartoons anymore. I don't think kids like them anymore at the movies

endsongjen
12-03-2007, 04:00 PM
they shoudl def test it out. enchanted had the traditional animation in the beginning of the movie and my cousins and daughter were glued to the screen. my cousins are kids that cant sit thru anything. lol

Red X
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I could never understand why Disney makes their own CGI films like Dinosaur, Chicken Little, etc. when they already have Pixar doing it.

Disney and Pixar were split when Chicken Little came out...remember they broke up a while there, then got back together...I think Disney paid Pixar big money.

Teague
12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Traditional Disney died when they shut down the animation studio. Simple as that. And that's meant to take nothing from Pixar at all. But Pixar isn't Disney.

Enchanted is great, though. My girls loved it.

Brru
12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Disney and Pixar were split when Chicken Little came out...remember they broke up a while there, then got back together...I think Disney paid Pixar big money.

I dont remember when, but I know Disney really screwed over Pixar on there movies. They had set up to pay pixar for like five movies and forced pixar to release six (only getting paid for five) and a big ordeal went on. Pixar decided to give Disney the big "to the elbow" routine and came out with the incredibles (I think). Disney decided to go all digital since Pixar was doing so well and they wanted to compete.

In my opinion thats when Disney went down hill. They've been more about being the monopoly on a product for years.

HelloKinky
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Well yeah originally Toy Story 2 was gonna be straight to video but then they made it a feature and said it didn't count.

Enchanted is getting really great reviews too. It's got like a 90%+ rating at Rottentomatoes.com

marvelboi77
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I think Tarzan was the last animated one. I remember in 10th grade my Science teacher going to see Aladin. I was like why??? But then my Junior year I actually started buying the Disney tapes, and going to see the Lion King. Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast are my favorites. So the stories were great I do miss them.

cougartrace
12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I think Tarzan was the last animated one. I remember in 10th grade my Science teacher going to see Aladin. I was like why??? But then my Junior year I actually started buying the Disney tapes, and going to see the Lion King. Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast are my favorites. So the stories were great I do miss them.

The shows like Little Mermaid were good...for girls.

They made way too many for girls not for a male audience. The Lion King was probably their last animated tale that could somewhat appeal to a male audience.

Teague
12-04-2007, 12:49 PM
The shows like Little Mermaid were good...for girls.

They made way too many for girls not for a male audience. The Lion King was probably their last animated tale that could somewhat appeal to a male audience.

Wasn't Aladdin after Lion King? Maybe it was before...but that was a great boy movie, too. Finding Nemo was too.

Fairy tales have always been of more interest to girls than to boys. I think Disney did a pretty good job of marketing to boys there for a while, though they have yet to return to that well, really. But that's true on the girls' side, too.

I'm hoping Disney makes a comeback at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

bat_collector
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
It was

Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Lion King

After that I can't remember with Tarzan, Pocohontas, and Mulan all coming in after those big four.

and I really like Little Mermaid

Teague
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
It was

Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Lion King

After that I can't remember with Tarzan, Pocohontas, and Mulan all coming in after those big four.

and I really like Little Mermaid

Ah, okay. Right before, then. So that was two boy-centric Disney movies in a row. Not bad!

Honestly, the boy-centered movies are a better bet for Disney, since girls don't mind watching boy heroes so much as the other way around. On the other hand, girls tend to watch (and love) these movies longer than boys--my eight year old still loves them, and my eight and nine year old nephews think they're for babies, and have moved on to manga stuff or live-action shows.

Disney went through a bad time in the 70s, and only really came back with Little Mermaid. Maybe they can find the magic again...but I think it's going to require they open their animation studios first. CGI just can't compare.

But maybe it's a thing of the past now. Sad, but possible.

endsongjen
12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
lilo and stitch was for both girls and boys imo

bat_collector
12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I liked Lilo and Stich

Isn't the next disney movie the one with the black female lead?

Jesse321
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I LOVE Tarzan, Mulan and Pocahantas, while they may not have appealed to the movie going public, I thought the visuals and the music in each of them were exceptional.

Ink
12-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I love the lion king, lilo and stitch, jungle book and robin hood. I have all of the disney movies on dvd so far:)

endsongjen
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
I liked Lilo and Stich

Isn't the next disney movie the one with the black female lead?
yes, shes a princess that was a frog or something like that, lmao. i forget sorry. but im excited for that hope it old animation.

I LOVE Tarzan, Mulan and Pocahantas, while they may not have appealed to the movie going public, I thought the visuals and the music in each of them were exceptional.
gosh i can watch pocahontas over and over. such great music in that movie.

protector2814
12-04-2007, 08:55 PM
For me, the trouble started in 2 movies.
- Lion King, when all the sudden I saw Elton John talking like he was an old Disney Salt. I didn't care for the music in that movie, it was like a bad 80's, love song fest with Kimba built around it.
- Aladdin, when Robin Williams was just so all over the place with his ad-libbing that I felt I was experiencing the comedian's nervous-breakdown set to animation. Disjointed beyond repair with his rantings just stringing the rest of the film together. I'd also love to know who at Disney decided then and there that Gilbert Gotfreid was funny. He never has been and I now only associate him with Disney.
Both those movies, for me, just sort of erased the classiness Disney had created over the previous 55 years. In terms of event, compare Bambi with Aladdin...you just can't.

DSET
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
tarzan was the last matserpeice

but even glen keane himself couldnt save treasure planet
all in all it was around that time where disney began to loose it IMO

joy_division
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
last disney animated film I saw at the cinema, was Aladdin

No one has mentioned hunchback

I am looking forward to enchanted though

Bartholomew
12-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Cinderella 3?! lol

Yes! I couldn't believe it either. As if 2 wasn't bad enough. lol. Check it:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/NosDos/cinderella3.jpg

Bartholomew
12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
For me, the trouble started in 2 movies.
- Lion King, when all the sudden I saw Elton John talking like he was an old Disney Salt. I didn't care for the music in that movie, it was like a bad 80's, love song fest with Kimba built around it.
- Aladdin, when Robin Williams was just so all over the place with his ad-libbing that I felt I was experiencing the comedian's nervous-breakdown set to animation. Disjointed beyond repair with his rantings just stringing the rest of the film together. I'd also love to know who at Disney decided then and there that Gilbert Gotfreid was funny. He never has been and I now only associate him with Disney.
Both those movies, for me, just sort of erased the classiness Disney had created over the previous 55 years. In terms of event, compare Bambi with Aladdin...you just can't.

Really? I loved Aladdin and Lion King.

I like Mulan, and while the music was good in Pocahontas the story wasn't. So for me I think it started with Pocahontas and went down hill.

protector2814
12-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Really? I loved Aladdin and Lion King.

I like Mulan, and while the music was good in Pocahontas the story wasn't. So for me I think it started with Pocahontas and went down hill.

I liked Mulan alot too. I even enjoyed Pacahontas. For reasons explained Aladdin and Lion King didn't work for me. With Aladdin, I just couldn't get through William's genie making all of his pop-culture jokes when the movie supposedly took place a thousand years ago. I know that's nitpicking but it bugged me through the entire film. I also realized that those very same pop-culture jokes would date this movie eventually. In the older animated Disney movies, references wearn't made to pop-culture of the day; it would have caused confusion to today's kids.

Kirk Durfey
12-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I liked Mulan alot too. I even enjoyed Pacahontas. For reasons explained Aladdin and Lion King didn't work for me. With Aladdin, I just couldn't get through William's genie making all of his pop-culture jokes when the movie supposedly took place a thousand years ago. I know that's nitpicking but it bugged me through the entire film. I also realized that those very same pop-culture jokes would date this movie eventually. In the older animated Disney movies, references wearn't made to pop-culture of the day; it would have caused confusion to today's kids.

This is the problem I have with the Shrek movies as well.

glassdancer
12-07-2007, 07:17 PM
When Pixar was born.

HelloKinky
12-07-2007, 07:23 PM

Well Hercules had gospel singers and Christianity and whatever wasn't even around back then. But people still enjoyed it.

protector2814
12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Well Hercules had gospel singers and Christianity and whatever wasn't even around back then. But people still enjoyed it.

Sorry...bugged me. Although it wasn't as overt as Aladdin.
Muses singing in a gospel manner are a far cry from a genie acting (or even worse...just rambling for minutes and minutes)like modern and recognizable t.v quiz-show host.
What if Thumper in Bambie started singing like Al Jolson? What if Grumpy in Snow White launched into a Marx Brother's routine?
They may very well loose their classic status because you'd have a lot of today's audience going "what the heck is that?"
The suits at Disney and writers, for that matter, are now aiming for instant, recognizable, easily-earned quik-laughs rather than well thought out, timeless laughs and situations that won't date. Sure they're funny but in 25 years, no one will get the jokes.

riderV3
12-07-2007, 10:27 PM
the market isn't there for tradiational cartoons anymore. I don't think kids like them anymore at the movies

Wrong, there's always that 2-D market out there or why is most of the TV cartoon still in 2-D form?
There still are things you cannot express through CGI.

you know why Disney took a turn from 2-D to 3-D?

Because they had hard time producing instant classic like they used to be plus Hayao Miyazaki films beat the crap out of almost all modern Disney movies and heck Spirited Away even won the Academy award.

So them Disney cowards knew they're done and just grab their panties, run with the speed of light and announce "2-D drawn cartoons are history, they no longer satisfy children so we're turning to 3-D, That way we don't have to confront the Miyazaki films and lose like a mofo."

Market is still out there, it's competition that makes them afraid and took the alternative way out and turned to 3-D, that's why they lost their flavor.

ant-man
12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
When Pixar was born.

ditto

Bartholomew
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Good points. The pop culture references didn't bother me at the time at all. But I definitely can see how doing such dates the movie. Though I sort of just took it as Genie being omnipresent so he knows certain future stuff too. Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space and all. :)
Same with certain comic books.

But looking past that the music, the plot, the way it was done was superb.

protector2814
12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Good points. The pop culture references didn't bother me at the time at all. But I definitely can see how doing such dates the movie. Though I sort of just took it as Genie being omnipresent so he knows certain future stuff too. Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space and all. :)
Same with certain comic books.

But looking past that the music, the plot, the way it was done was superb.

You make good points too. Never considered the whole genie, omnipresent/cosmic power angle.

Tommy Allison
12-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I used to love Disney movies as a kid. I still have a fondness for some of the "classics" like Aladdin, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast and yes even the Little Mermaid too.

Well, I rented Meet the Robinsons and I thought it was so bad that I couldn't even sit through the entire thing. Full of cliches and over exaggerations imo.

Then it occured to me that I haven't enjoyed a Disney movie that wasn't sourced out to Pixar for years now.

When did and why did it all go wrong?

Anyone out there still like Disney?

I rented Meet The Robinsons, and barely made it through the first half. Turned it off. A complete waste of time. You can tell where the focus of the animation was, and you could already tell who the characters were going to end up being.

A complete waste of time, and a complete waste of Disney's money. They should have given the thing to Brad Bird, and Pixar to do autonomously, as they've shown by example that only they are fit to do CG animated features, PERIOD.

joy_division
12-09-2007, 01:18 PM

have to disagree with you there.

I went to see Tales from the earthsea yesterday(it sort of reminded me of Mobius' artwork...), directed by, Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki.

Anything that Studio Ghibli produce is astounding. the fact that john lasseter is such a fan proves so.

They are keeping the art of 2D animation alive

riderV3
12-09-2007, 02:56 PM
have to disagree with you there.

I went to see Tales from the earthsea yesterday(it sort of reminded me of Mobius' artwork...), directed by, Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki.

Anything that Studio Ghibli produce is astounding. the fact that john lasseter is such a fan proves so.

They are keeping the art of 2D animation alive

That's exactly my point, studio Ghibli rocks!

Tommy Allison
12-09-2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder if Tales From The EarthSea is going to be released here?

riderV3
12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I wonder if Tales From The EarthSea is going to be released here?

Probably in DVD form, don't think it'll be in theater.

glassdancer
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
ditto

exactly.

joy_division
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I wonder if Tales From The EarthSea is going to be released here?These types of films normally don't play at the blockbuster cinemas. you have to catch them at the ones that play artistic films(I was pissed that is was the dubbed version - but hey, better than nothing!)

riderV3
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
These types of films normally don't play at the blockbuster cinemas. you have to catch them at the ones that play artistic films(I was pissed that is was the dubbed version - but hey, better than nothing!)

Dubbed ver...:banghead:

I rather wait on DVD for original, no dubbed movei for me.

joy_division
12-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Timothy dalton wasn't bad as sparrowhawk though. A very good choice

Ged looked very much like marilyn manson though :peoples:

Bartholomew
12-12-2007, 05:02 AM
I rented Meet The Robinsons, and barely made it through the first half. Turned it off. A complete waste of time. You can tell where the focus of the animation was, and you could already tell who the characters were going to end up being.

A complete waste of time, and a complete waste of Disney's money. They should have given the thing to Brad Bird, and Pixar to do autonomously, as they've shown by example that only they are fit to do CG animated features, PERIOD.

Quoted for truth! I think I got to the part where that blonde kid made it into the future and just turned it off. Just a poor movie!!