PDA

View Full Version : most memorable event in comics

bigben7
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
well talkin about best trade, has anyone asked what was the most memorable moment in their comic reading histroy???
there have been many
batman breakin his back
hush storyline
superman dying
gren lantern going beserk
you choose
to me and i know it is new but no comic hit me, made me smile and made me feel good in a single page like the return of colossus in astonishing x men. nothing in books hit me like that single page!! wow!!!

gman
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
a few that i recall quickly....

death of gwen stacy (asm #121)
death of Green Goblin (asm #122)
xmen #109/120/121 (1st Alpha Flight)
batman:dark knight returns
batman #428: death of robin

bigben7
02-10-2005, 05:25 PM
nice pics
i alwasy thought the spiderman 121-122 was the best story ever but the idiots just had to bring back the dead again!! not like they didnt give us an ultimate version whee they can use osborn they had to bring him back in the actula real time spiderman books. hate that!! he was better and the character meant more and the story meant more when he was dead. not like now where in this day and age we all knew batman wouldnt stay down, superman wouldnt stay dead, and gren arrow would be back slingin arrows!!
how much we bettin hawkeye will emerge in a year or soo.lol

Garrett
02-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Jean Grey’s death in issue 137. I was gutted for years.

bigben7
02-10-2005, 05:34 PM
kewl nothing like a good gutting!!

wktf
02-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Return of Captain America
Death of Captain Stacey
Death of Gwen Stacy
Death of Green Goblin (still bothers me he's back)
Death of Jean Grey
Return of the Kingpin (FMiller's Daredevil)
Introduction of Elektra
Death of Odin

Batman's broken back, Hush, and the death of Superman were marketing hype as far as I was concerned. These, above, were significant events in the continuity of these characters and comics that served the stories.

nbr3bagshotrow
02-10-2005, 05:53 PM
well talkin about best trade, has anyone asked what was the most memorable moment in their comic reading histroy???
there have been many
batman breakin his back
hush storyline
superman dying
gren lantern going beserk
you choose
to me and i know it is new but no comic hit me, made me smile and made me feel good in a single page like the return of colossus in astonishing x men. nothing in books hit me like that single page!! wow!!!
I can't decide. Those were all great story lines in my book.

DDura711
02-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Death of Gwen Stacy
Dark Phoenix Saga
Spider-Man Clone Story (not saying cause it's good, just saying can't forget it)
Death of Superman
Batman Knightfall
Batman Death in the Family (death of robin)
Intro of Wolverine
Death of Captain Marvel
Infinity Gauntlet
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Silver Surfer's 1st story
Intro of Mary Jane
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Batman Year One
Emerald Twilight

Not everyone was real good, but they are the ones that stand out the most to me.

DDura711
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Two other trades that should get mention is Sandman 1st trade & Preacher 1st Trade.
Love those series.

Garrett
02-10-2005, 06:05 PM
To the above.
X-Men 94 -142
The Dark Knight Returns

wktf
02-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Right, Ddura711! The Galactus Trilogy!

Kdawg59
02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Batman reclaiming the Mantle from Azrael was something I will always remember
Batman Year One
The death of one of the greatest females in comics (Gwen Stacy)
The first time Jean Grey was killed. Those bass-turds
Dark Phoenix saga in general... (Dazzler, wolvie in he sewer, Hellfire club)
All new all different X-men
Mutant Massacre
return of colossus

marvelboi77
02-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Spider-Woman dying
Supergirl dying
Wonder Woman dying
Batgirl getting crippled
Storm dying
Jean Grey dying for the 2nd time for me
Psylocke dying

hillis3
02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Amazing Spider-Man #121 - Gwen's Death
Amazing Spider-Man #248 - "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man"

bigben7
02-10-2005, 08:28 PM
well just thought of another moment that left be numb and thinkin "o my god"
x men 25 when marneto pulls the adamantium out of wolverien, that still makes my skin crawl.
and ifnally one of the best spiderman stories to me was the unforgetable "kravens last hunt" kraven has been around it seems for ever against spiderman and to fianlly beat him then comit suicide. that was a shocker i still enjoy reading. excellent

bigben7
02-10-2005, 08:39 PM
what the heck lets do a poll, and i since there are sooo many comic moments that live on with s i gave you the ability to vote for more than 1 on this poll. just dont over do it guys,lol
listed ones that came up alot in answers and some i just couldnt forget.

DDura711
02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Amazing Spider-Man #248 - "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man"
OH GOOD ONE Hills!
What a story, one of the best stand alone issues of Amazing in the past 20 years. :thumbs2:

Oh yeah and Kraven's Last Hunt, damn that was good too.
HEY! NO GALACTUS ON THE POLL! :bawling:

bat_collector
02-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Batman and Catwoman kissing in Hush (Hush was the reason I got back into comics)
Wolverine having the adamintium ripped from him
Return of colossus

And 1 obscure one, where Magneto locks Red Skull in a little compartment to show him what the holocaust was like. I wish I would remember more, but it was when the villains fought other heros under Loki's guidance or something.

Garrett
02-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Batman and Catwoman kissing in Hush (Hush was the reason I got back into comics)
Wolverine having the adamintium ripped from him
Return of colossus

And 1 obscure one, where Magneto locks Red Skull in a little compartment to show him what the holocaust was like. I wish I would remember more, but it was when the villains fought other heros under Loki's guidance or something.
Wasn’t that the one in the Avengers 273-277 with the Masters of Evil?

bat_collector
02-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Wasn’t that the one in the Avengers with the Masters of Evil.
I can't remember. And I only had that one issue where Magneto left Red Skull to basically die. I wonder how he got out, and if he did anything major to Magneto.

Garrett
02-10-2005, 09:59 PM
I know in one Avenger’s story line it had a villain who looked to be pulling the strings, but behind him was Loki in a business suit and it went on for a fair few issues.

SirConor
02-11-2005, 12:20 AM
This list has some good ones...

I couldn't really pick just one, but I suppose the MOST memorable for me personally was Wolvie losing his adamantium. I was like 10 years old and I was so so sad for so long, especially having to watch him get his ass kicked all the time afterwards. Also up there: death of Jeannie, return of Colossus.

Bartman256
02-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Great thread! Soooo many stories...
Amazing Spider-Man 31-33 this Stan & Steve classic shows what being a hero was all about!

Amazing Spider-Man 90 Death of Capt. Stacy...those last few words where Capt Stacy calls Spider-Man Peter & makes him promise to look after Gwen

Amazing Spider-Man 121 & 122 Death of Gwen & Norman Osborn...well written, moving story. Comics just were not for kids anymore!

Amazing Spider-Man 148-150...Jackal/Prof Warren, the Gwen Clone, the Spider-Man clone...great stuff...always creeped out by Peter dumping that clone body in the smoke stack of an incinerator. Just seemed out of character...

Amazing Spider-Man 181 titled "The Pain and the Power"...an emotional story recapping the whole Spider-Man history up to that point, starting with Spider-Man visiting the grave of Uncle Ben at night.

Amazing Spider-Man 248 The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man...so few pages for such a moving story.

Amazing Spider-Man 300 1st full Venom...man, this was a cool, scary, original villain!

Amazing Spider-Man 400 The Death of Aunt May...man this was a great way to see the old lady off! Really well written. Too bad they dismissed the whole thing with some bogus story...

Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man 28-31, the Carrion storyline brought back the past in the form of a Prof Warren clone that aged beyond death. Great story...again, too bad they dismissed the whole thing years later!

Incredible Hulk issue # ?, story was also reprinted in one of the Hulk Marvel Treasury Editions. It was a short story called Heaven is a Small Place. Another example of so few pages for such a moving story.

Incredible Hulk 340 Hulk vs Wolverine...unbelievable, bloody battle!

The Uncanny X-Men Claremont/Byrne run...highlights were Death of Jean Grey & Days of Future Past...WOW

Daredevil 7...DD vs the Sub-Mariner...another example of what being a hero is all about with awesome art by Wally Wood!

Daredevil the Frank Miller run...highlights were Death of Elektra & the crippling battle with Bullseye...WOW

Wolverine 1-4 (1st mini series) by Claremont & Miller. Great stuff...does it get any better than this?

Marvel Graphic Novel 1, The Death of Captain Marvel...the death bed scene with all the heroes gathered. Jim Starlin at his best!

Batman Dark Knight Returns
Watchmen
Ronin

Elfquest by Richard & Wendy Pini, the original 1st series 1-20 (who thought elves could be so cool?) EPIC story.

Of course I'm leaving stuff out but this list is pretty decent!

bigben7
02-11-2005, 03:37 AM
i understand all the great stories there were in coms but this is to narrow it down to where in that one moment when colossus apperas, or the adamantium rip sfrom wolverines body or the saddest most heart wrenching on ei think the love throughout matt's life, karen page being killed by his worset enemy by his own billy club!! dyig in his arms. its that one page and that moment we all smiled, gasped ot teared that i am striving for. thats been great stories like watchman, the spiderman clone etc. but reach down comic lovers and imaguine what im really striving for. not a great run or story. that moment that seemed real and you felt exactly as the charcter/characters did.

Jack8022
02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
One comic moment that has always struck home (for me anyway) is the issue where Reed Richards is scrambling to find help for the then-pregnant Invisible Woman to save their second child. After a battle with Doc Ock, they arrive at the hospital but it's just too late.

Also the last page of Alpha Flight Vol 1, #12.

wktf
02-11-2005, 07:46 PM
For most memorable, I voted for the return of Captain America. Now that I consider it, I think that may have been the most important but the most memorable in terms of impact should be the Death of Gwen Stacy.

Many of us, as kids, never knew Captain American before the Avengers story. Many of us, though, knew Gwen and her death truly was shocking and heart breaking. I remember it, not to sound disrespectful, like I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, Elvis died, or other memorable events.

bigben7
02-11-2005, 08:06 PM
excelent wktf
you just hit the nail on the head, thats what this poll is about.
just like when i read the return of colossus. i never smiled as big reading a comica nd felt the holy sh** felin like that page. to read xmen all these years and then lose my favorite x man ever this was soo unexpected and sooo wanted

Bartman256
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
excelent wktf
you just hit the nail on the head, thats what this poll is about.
just like when i read the return of colossus. i never smiled as big reading a comica nd felt the holy sh** felin like that page. to read xmen all these years and then lose my favorite x man ever this was soo unexpected and sooo wanted

Ben, I hate to disagree, but I expected Colossus to return...eventually. It was extremely well written & drawn, but was going to happen sooner or later. I also predict, one of these years, the return of Jean Grey...again.

madjazz
02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Of the choices here, I went with the 1st Death of Jean Grey. THey did not bring her back for a long time so it definately felt real.

The one moment that always stays with me, though, is from the end of Miller's run on Daredevil - It shows Elektra climbing the icy cliffs towards the (Chaste? Can't remember the exact name). Just the thought that she had not previously succeeded in making this climb but had changed enough to finally be worthy. Those are the moments where the combination of the visual and just a few words conveys more than words or pictures by themselves and truly distinguishes comics/sequential story-telling as a powerful medium.

Mad4Busts
02-13-2005, 05:29 PM
nice pics
i alwasy thought the spiderman 121-122 was the best story ever but the idiots just had to bring back the dead again!! not like they didnt give us an ultimate version whee they can use osborn they had to bring him back in the actula real time spiderman books. hate that!! he was better and the character meant more and the story meant more when he was dead. not like now where in this day and age we all knew batman wouldnt stay down, superman wouldnt stay dead, and gren arrow would be back slingin arrows!!
how much we bettin hawkeye will emerge in a year or soo.lol

Do you really think the Comic Community would be better off today without:
Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Colossus, Magneto, Hawkeye(if he returns), I mean you have to bring 'em back?!?

bigben7
02-13-2005, 06:30 PM
mad
im not saying they shoudl stay dead, im simply aying we knew they wouldnt stay dead!
even thought colossus died we all knew some day we would see him . its just how comics are. they are like a wrestling match. hulk hogan alwasy got his but kicked for the first 75% of a match then you knew he would rise up and win, always. so we all kinda feel top characters will always come back.
but6 come on how many times has magneto been killed!1 i love magneto but it does get old. each time they show him dying you say ok when will he be back.
as i look back, im 39, when gwen died and green goblin died it was the 1st time in my comic reading that a major character that we read and followed for years upon years was killed, in a great story, and they stayed dead.green goblin came back in many forms without it being norman and it was always good.and my betis some how someway hawkeye will come back

Foord
02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Death of Barry Allen's Flash and Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Wot no honorable mention? That story kicked butt. Not to mention all the other worlds that died. Awesome.

Days of Future Past, especially with that cover with Wolvie barbecued. Shocking!

The General
02-14-2005, 02:20 PM
When I stopped collecting after the glow in the dark Ghost Rider #50. :thumbsdow

JR2
02-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Out of the choices in the poll:

Jean Grey/Phoenix's death in X-Men 137 is tops for me.

Jason Todd/Robin's death is second and I didn't even read Batman then. To give the readers a choice over a character's fate was memorable.

Choices not in the poll:

Death of Barry Allen/Flash, Don Hall/Dove, and Supergirl in Crisis for Inifinite Earths. Dove, you may wonder? This lead to the creation of the new Dove and the connections to the Lords of Order and Chaos. Again, not that memorable on it's own, but lead into the whole Armageddon/Extant storyline.

The Masters of Evil break into Avengers Mansion. They almost kill Jarvis and a plastered Hercules. (Jarvis should have died, c'mon.) I don't have the issue numbers in front of me though.

Garrett
02-14-2005, 03:18 PM
The Masters of Evil break into Avengers Mansion. They almost kill Jarvis and a plastered Hercules. (Jarvis should have died, c'mon.) I don't have the issue numbers in front of me though. That was the issues mention earlier in the thread which was 273-277.

The Jason Todd I believe was fixed as they allowed a phone in and some guy had his phone automatically dialling up for the death of Jason Todd.