PDA

View Full Version : PS3 selling like hot cakes in Europe.

Bullseye
12-13-2007, 08:17 AM
I have noticed at the local Virgin that they were selling the PS3 in big numbers. Everyone seemed to have one under their arms. Lots of happy kids at Christmas no doubt. Then i came across this article. Looks like they are selling almost 1 million units between Europe and Japan a month. Those are some pretty impressive numbers.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/840/840830p1.html

PlayStation 3 Sales Improving
Stringer notes flourishing European numbers.
by Ryan Clements
December 11, 2007 - Gamedaily posted an article today regarding some rather good news for Sony. According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan.

Sony eventually hopes to tie in other Sony Entertainment elements to the PSN by introducing a video store sometime in the future. This will take advantage of Sony's own film studio, but will -- as Stringer notes -- be open to outsider content. These upcoming features, along with the impressive European sales, bode quite well for Sony and its products.

snappahead
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Sweet? It's the same thing here...except replace the name PS3 with the Wii. I walked into a store where people had been waiting all morning in the hopes of getting a Wii. Most of whom walked out empty handed.

It's weird how different parts of the world have such varied results in terms of console sales. You can't find an Elite 360 in my town, but there's plenty of PS3s and in Europe it's probably the opposite. In Japan, I can understand..they hate western products, but in Europe it's strange to me. Oh well. This console war will get very interesting in '08.

Sgt Taz
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
You can't find an Elite 360 in my town, but there's plenty of PS3s and in Europe it's probably the opposite.My friend just upgraded from a regular to an Elite 360. He did about a week finding one.

cougartrace
12-13-2007, 05:34 PM
PS3's aren't selling as well in the US. But, I did read was that PS3's are not outselling the Wii in Japan which is a supposedly sign that the PS3 will regain it's dominance.

Sgt Taz
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
PS3's are not outselling the Wii in Japan which is a supposedly sign that the PS3 will regain it's dominance.PS3 not outselling the Wii is a sign PS3 will regain it's dominance? Who's reading these signs anyway, Stevie Wonder? :peoples:

Bullseye
12-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Wii is a short term life span. PS3 is the future;) Shouldn't you be playing your Xbox.:)

hawkeyethearcher
12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
i went into the IHOP the other day and order a ps3 with a side of bacon and eggs. i put boysenberry syrup on it. it was yummy. i dont not know it was a european thing though

bat_collector
12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I want a wii!

snappahead
12-13-2007, 07:29 PM
PS3 not outselling the Wii is a sign PS3 will regain it's dominance? Who's reading these signs anyway, Stevie Wonder? :peoples:

Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now". It was only a matter of time. The Wii's a neat gimmick and all, but the games have been crap for the most part (except for first party games) I'm a lazy gamer. Most people are I'd imagine. I don't like having to use muscles to play games LOL. Even if it's just a little. It's really hard for me at least to not prefer the old fashion way.

I don't know if Bulls is right or not, but signs do seem to point in that direction. Publishers aren't too happy with the poor software sales on the Wii. People are buying the system out of curiosity and then collecting dust with it. Even awesome games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are experiencing slow sales. It looks like once people have the system, they're satisfied and then they move on to the 360 and PS3 games. Great for Nintendo, but bad for everyone else. Not a good formula for a long life cycle.

Bullseye
12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Don't get me wrong. I have always liked Nintendo so its great to see them make lots of money on the Wii. I just think they will need to come up with something new in a couple of years.

Sgt Taz
12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now".Actualy I wasnt. Your version makes more sense obviously, though the t and w are rather far apart on the keyboard for such a mistake. Maybe he meant something else altogether :)

snappahead
12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Actualy I wasnt. Your version makes more sense obviously, though the t and w are rather far apart on the keyboard for such a mistake. Maybe he meant something else altogether :)

You'd think that but I've made some really weird misspells in my day..missing keys by huge margins hehe. The brain will fart at times.

Spatial.Archite
12-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not, but I think he meant to say "now". It was only a matter of time. The Wii's a neat gimmick and all, but the games have been crap for the most part (except for first party games) I'm a lazy gamer. Most people are I'd imagine. I don't like having to use muscles to play games LOL. Even if it's just a little. It's really hard for me at least to not prefer the old fashion way.

I don't know if Bulls is right or not, but signs do seem to point in that direction. Publishers aren't too happy with the poor software sales on the Wii. People are buying the system out of curiosity and then collecting dust with it. Even awesome games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime are experiencing slow sales. It looks like once people have the system, they're satisfied and then they move on to the 360 and PS3 games. Great for Nintendo, but bad for everyone else. Not a good formula for a long life cycle.

The PS3 outsold the Wii in November in Japan with the price-cut, but the Wii is outselling the PS3 again; the real question was how much the Wii shortage affected their sales (and that there's still a shortage over a year after release). Shouldn't be taken out of context though, it wasn't long ago that the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan (which is a major shock as Japan seems to hate all things Xbox). Sales for Galaxy were pretty good; over 1.2 million copies in November alone. I think 3rd-party games will sell better when 3rd-parties actually make better games instead of just trying to ride the success.

I find it very unlikely that the PS3 will ever lead in total units though; it started out way too far behind and several developers favor the 360 as it has a much larger user base, and is easier (and cheaper) to develop for. Sell-through data still puts the 360 at having twice the sold units, and a very solid library of exclusives.

And all indications point to the Wii breaking most (if not all) console sales records. Nintendo's brilliance this generation is understanding the market and current global economy, not the motion-sensitive controller. Nintendo's in a position that by Christmas time next year, they'll probably drop the price considerably and introduce new colors and they'll still be hard as hell to find. In fact, Nintendo's stopped advertising the Wii 'cause they cannot meet demand, I've never heard of anything like that.

Microsoft seems to think they've defeated Sony this generation (they might be right, but I think it's too early to make that call still), but they see Nintendo as a threat and you can tell by the way they're pushing "Family friendly" software and "party games." Same thing with Sony; neither Sony or Microsoft talk about each other all that much anymore... all points seem to be directed toward the Wii.

I'm all for all three systems surviving, but I think it's still a little too early to call. For instance, while PS3 sales are up quite a bit, in North America for the month of November the PS3 was outsold by every other system.

DS - 1.53 million
Wii - 981,000
360 - 770,000
PSP - 567,000
PS2 - 500,000
PS3 - 466,000

Bullseye
12-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm all for all three systems surviving, but I think it's still a little too early to call. For instance, while PS3 sales are up quite a bit, in North America for the month of November the PS3 was outsold by every other system.

With the numbers of PS3s selling i see no problems seeing the system surviving at all. Its easily on a par with the XBox on its first year of sales. Remember there is a big world outside the USA:thumbs2:

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I meant to say that the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan

Red X
12-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Uhh, actually Mario Galaxy is selling very well, and is the 2nd best selling game in November next to Call of Duty 4, it sold over a million copies worldwide.

In terms of specific hardware sales, Nintendo still sits atop the pack, despite supply chain restrictions on Wii production. According to NPD, Nintendo sold 1.53 million DS units and 981,000 Wiis in November. Microsoft sold a solid 770,000 Xbox 360s. Sony moved 466,000 PlayStation 3s; 496,000 PS2s; and 466,000 PS3s.

According to NPD, the double-shot of a timely price cut and holiday season momentum gave the PS3 the biggest sales boost of any hardware platform. Sony's flagship machine saw a 285 percent increase in sales in November over October.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/841/841468p1.html

And the quote from the Europe sales:

"According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan. "

Also I don't see how the hell the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan if it beat its December 2006 sales by 60 percent to achieve its best sales month to date...No way, no how.

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Uhh, actually Mario Galaxy is selling very well, and is the 2nd best selling game in November next to Call of Duty 4, it sold over a million copies worldwide.

In terms of specific hardware sales, Nintendo still sits atop the pack, despite supply chain restrictions on Wii production. According to NPD, Nintendo sold 1.53 million DS units and 981,000 Wiis in November. Microsoft sold a solid 770,000 Xbox 360s. Sony moved 466,000 PlayStation 3s; 496,000 PS2s; and 466,000 PS3s.

According to NPD, the double-shot of a timely price cut and holiday season momentum gave the PS3 the biggest sales boost of any hardware platform. Sony's flagship machine saw a 285 percent increase in sales in November over October.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/841/841468p1.html

And the quote from the Europe sales:

"According to Sony Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer, the PS3 is now selling 200,000 consoles per week in Europe. He also notes that the system is selling 40,000 to 50,000 units per week in Japan. "

Also I don't see how the hell the PS3 is outselling the Wii in Japan if it beat its December 2006 sales by 60 percent to achieve its best sales month to date...No way, no how.

:stick: It's just what I read on CNN. I don't know if it is true. Just like you don't really know if your facts are true. Who really knows the truth?

Red X
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
:stick: It's just what I read on CNN. I don't know if it is true. Just like you don't really know if your facts are true. Who really knows the truth?

I do!:redface:

Seriously though, I trust IGN more than CNN, CNN knows nothing of video games.

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I do!:redface:

Seriously though, I trust IGN more than CNN, CNN knows nothing of video games.

Point taken, but IGN is getting the facts probably from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. So, you know you can trust those numbers :confused2

snappahead
12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I said slow sales, which I think is true for a new Mario game. Especially for a system that desperately needs good games. Metroid too. Numbers could be better for what could arguably be considered the biggest games the Wii will ever have... Yes, they're selling well, but considering the situation, they should be selling better IMO.

Systems sales are only a small part of the equation. Software sales are what keep a console alive. Slow software sales on the Wii are going to eventually scare away the big publishers and then we'll have another Gamecube on our hands. A system that only has first party games worth buying. In which case, you're only talking about a couple good games a year. Just saying... I don't believe Nintendo will win this cycle...not a chance IMO. The DS is another story.

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
I said slow sales, which I think is true for a new Mario game. Especially for a system that desperately needs good games. Metroid too. Numbers could be better for what could arguably be considered the biggest games the Wii will ever have... Yes, they're selling well, but considering the situation, they should be selling better IMO.

Systems sales are only a small part of the equation. Software sales are what keep a console alive. Slow software sales on the Wii are going to eventually scare away the big publishers and then we'll have another Gamecube on our hands. A system that only has first party games worth buying. In which case, you're only talking about a couple good games a year. Just saying... I don't believe Nintendo will win this cycle...not a chance IMO. The DS is another story.

That's what I had read. That the sales numbers were looking like the Wii would eventually drop out of being a console contender.

Red X
12-14-2007, 03:21 PM

They are selling just right IMO. The wii isn't aimed at hardcore gamers and games like Zelda, Metroid, and Mario are aimed at the more experienced gamer. So to say they should be selling better on a console that is aimed at the casual gaming audience doesn't work for me.

The Wii is already winning. The Gamecube didn't have alot of 3rd party support yes, but it didn't sell anywhere near the amount of wiis. The Wii has the largest installed fanbase this gen and I see it going no where.

Nintendo is not competing with the likes of 360 and PS3 they stated so themselves, they are going for a different audience and demographic. Games also like Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, Battalion Wars 2, No More Heroes, Nights, as well as hard hitting 1st party titles such as Mario Kart and Smash Brothers...2008 looks to be more successful than 2007, and that's say alot.

By next holiday season they will already have dropped the price even more most likely release new colors, and the games will look much better as Mario already looks great and can already hold it's with some PS3 and 360 titles in terms of visuals, and Smash Brothers looks much better than Galaxy!

So I must say, I disagree on every point.

snappahead
12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
NP...I'm right, but that's all good. We'll find out soon enough.

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 03:35 PM

LOL

Red X
12-14-2007, 03:35 PM

We will find out soon enough who wins! Remembet his day! Snappa calls for the wii to not win and die early. I do not! Remember al this day!

snappahead
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Wait, wait...never said die. Didn't say that..I said they wouldn't win. Big difference. The sales will slow to a crawl and the 360 and PS3 sales will remain steady... Wii gets 2nd...maybe 3rd.

Red X
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Wait, wait...never said die. Didn't say that..I said they wouldn't win. Big difference. The sales will slow to a crawl and the 360 and PS3 sales will remain steady... Wii gets 2nd...maybe 3rd.

I dunno man. Nintendos new system will prob be out before the lifespan of the 360 and PS3 are done, so it's weird.

snappahead
12-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I dunno man. Nintendos new system will prob be out before the lifespan of the 360 and PS3 are done, so it's weird.

That's a possibility. The way I look at it is, the Wii (more so then any other) is all about exclusives. People aren't going to choose Madden on the Wii over the PS3 or 360. And that will probably be the case for any non exclusive. That leaves the Wii with Nintendo games and little to nothing else. Nintendo games are enough to keep the system alive and kicking (just like the Gamecube), but I can't see that winning the war.

Nintendo's made a killing with the hardware sales and that's great, but once the publishers walk away (and I'm convinced they will) that'll be all she wrote. If I'm right though, that could as you say, lead them to launch a new system first next go around.

Red X
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
That's a possibility. The way I look at it is, the Wii (more so then any other) is all about exclusives. People aren't going to choose Madden on the Wii over the PS3 or 360. And that will probably be the case for any non exclusive. That leaves the Wii with Nintendo games and little to nothing else. Nintendo games are enough to keep the system alive and kicking (just like the Gamecube), but I can't see that winning the war.

Nintendo's made a killing with the hardware sales and that's great, but once the publishers walk away (and I'm convinced they will) that'll be all she wrote. If I'm right though, that could as you say, lead them to launch a new system first next go around.

Some people don't even like Madden...People are buying the wii for the exclusive titles and new ways to play, like RE: Umbrella Chronicles that game is not on any other systems and you can't play it the way you would on the others. We can't just base sale predictions on cross platform games. Some people don't own 2 consoles some casual gamers can care less about certain franchises that cater to the more hardcore crowd.

I don't believe that software sales falling would lead them to laucnh a new system, I see them supporting the wii just as Sony still supports the PS2 now because of the such large installed fanbase. Which can be attributed to the lack of PS3 sales because PS2 sales are still going strong.

I see just the hardware which is underpowered to be hindered in the future (2 or 3 years from ) which matches because the "average" age of a console is about 5 years...until the next one is released. But I see PS3 and 360 dominating for a year or 2 longer than that. Then I can still see the PS3 in the PS2 shoes now, still be supported and going strong while they release PS4.

I mean already Nintendo is working with holodisc for the next system. Which holds a hell of alot more space than the blu-ray does. Nintendo has this pattern where they innovate improve, innovate, improve.

Nes innovated, snes improved...same goes for 64 to gamecube, same will apply to wii and it's successor.:thumbs2:

cougartrace
12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
What I consider to be the damaging aspect to the Wii is core gamer age.

I'm talking about the 10-20 year olds. They are already tiring of the Wii and if the stats are right that say they spend the most money then it doesn't look good for the future of the Wii.

As I've said before, my 10 year old son has grown bored of the Wii. The XBOX suits him much more with the type of games and online play.

snappahead
12-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I hate Madden, but it's still one of the most successful franchises of all time, usually being in the top three best selling games every year. My point is the Wii ain't the place to go for those type third party games. You seem to know this already, so why you're arguing with me about it is confusing. I said Wii's all about exclusives and you agree, but do it in a strangely argumentative way:confused: I think you're looking at me as a Nintendo hater/basher, but that's not the case. I'm just going by my knowledge and experience as a gamer.

Cougar's right. Most people get bored with the Wii (myself included), once the novelty wears off, which would explain why software sales are slow. People by the system to satisfy their curiosity and then, move on to the other systems once they're satisfied. Most gamers follow games more than consoles. The console that has the best software sales wins the war. Why? Cause the publishers wanna sell games. If a system is a proven software seller, they support that system.

bat_collector
12-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I want a wii still.

I have an xbox 360 and its collecting dust. I do play my bioshock from time to time, but I'm just not the gamer I used to be. especially as my friends don't play.

Red X
12-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I just don't play my wii as much because I beat every game I have for it. Being so I also think it has some of the best games this gen yet to date: Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Prime 3, and Paper Mario to name a few.

Plus there's alot more games coming out for the PS3 that are targeted toward my age demograph...

Ink
12-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I went to my area bust buy and walmart stores yesterday, they had tons of PS3's

snappahead
12-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I just don't play my wii as much because I beat every game I have for it. Being so I also think it has some of the best games this gen yet to date: Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Prime 3, and Paper Mario to name a few.

Plus there's alot more games coming out for the PS3 that are targeted toward my age demograph...

I dare you to name the rest;)

CocoPUFF
12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Wii is a short term life span. PS3 is the future;) Shouldn't you be playing your Xbox.:)

LOL!

Red X
12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I dare you to name the rest;)

The rest of what? Those are some of the best games this gen yet, according to me. Those 4 games are gaming at it's finest, pure gems of games. How is the entire library of the wii suppose to be awesome?

It's not like the 360 and PS3 libraries are any better!

snappahead
12-14-2007, 07:57 PM
The rest of what? Those are some of the best games this gen yet, according to me. Those 4 games are gaming at it's finest, pure gems of games. How is the entire library of the wii suppose to be awesome?

I forgot that you don't get jokes. You said "to name but a few" I was daring you to name the rest, because I knew you'd just named every good game the Wii has to offer. Not to say that's too bad. It's not at all. Sure, all of those are Nintendo games and no third part publisher has made anything worth much on the Wii, but it's not bad. It further proves my point about games on the Wii. The only games that'll be worth buying will be the ones made by Nintendo. I'm sure some people won't have a problem with that though.

....the 360's libraries not better than the Wii's? Come on, bro. You know that's nutty talk. The fact that all the third party games are going to be better on the 360 and PS3, makes the libraries totally lopsided.

Bat collector, I think everyone should have a Wii. Everyone who plays games I mean. I'm not an anti Nintendo guy at all. Just talking about the war is all. The games that Red has named are all great games. Just don't expect much gaming goodness beyond what Nintendo makes.

Ink
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM

ummm....halo 1,2 and 3, gears, PGR

Red X
12-14-2007, 08:45 PM
ummm....halo 1,2 and 3, gears, PGR

Halo 1 and 2 don't count as 360 games. Haha...trying to sneak a few by us huh?

Yes so most of the Wii's great games are all published by nintendo, that's not a bad thing. I never said anything about 3rd party games being better on the Wii, they always have to sacrifice visuals, that's a given. But not all 3rd party games are good, in fact some are pure crap. I'm talking quality titles, the wii's can still stand up to the 360 and PS3s libraries of great games.

Each system has it's top games...but just because the 3rd party games are better on the 360 and PS3 does not mean that the wii will not have any great 3rd titles. In fact some of the most promising 3rd party titles coming to the wii are wii exclusives, which is smart to focus on the wii game separate from the other 2 platforms.

CocoPUFF
12-14-2007, 09:19 PM
its just a christmas thing...that's all....they'll be all over the place in february....

Spatial.Archite
12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
With the numbers of PS3s selling i see no problems seeing the system surviving at all. Its easily on a par with the XBox on its first year of sales. Remember there is a big world outside the USA:thumbs2:

I'm not an ethnocentric person by nature, and I realize there's a big world outside of the U.S., but the only place the PS3 can really outsell the 360 is in Japan. All the other large markets the PS3 continues to lose ground; yeah they're at about where the 360's at, but the 360 keeps pulling away... if that trend continues the PS3 can't catch up.

snappahead
12-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Yes so most of the Wii's great games are all published by nintendo, that's not a bad thing. I never said anything about 3rd party games being better on the Wii, they always have to sacrifice visuals, that's a given. But not all 3rd party games are good, in fact some are pure crap. I'm talking quality titles, the wii's can still stand up to the 360 and PS3s libraries of great games.

Each system has it's top games...but just because the 3rd party games are better on the 360 and PS3 does not mean that the wii will not have any great 3rd titles. In fact some of the most promising 3rd party titles coming to the wii are wii exclusives, which is smart to focus on the wii game separate from the other 2 platforms.

That's true..not all 3rd part games are good. But because of the Wii's abilities (or lack there of) it's missed out on Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Oblivion and others. Anyone stuck with only a Wii's going to miss out on a lot.

I can't agree with what you say about the game libraries. Nintendo games are almost always good, but there's still way more to be had on the 360 and PS3.

Sgt Taz
12-14-2007, 11:43 PM
It's not like the 360 and PS3 libraries are any better!:laugh: :thumbs2:

Red X
12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
:laugh: :thumbs2:

I think they all have the same amount of GOOD games.

cougartrace
12-15-2007, 12:16 AM
I think they all have the same amount of GOOD games.

You can't possibly say that the Wii has the same amount of good games as the 360.

Red X
12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
You can't possibly say that the Wii has the same amount of good games as the 360.

*Exclusive titles I meant to say. Each console has the same amount of GREAT, not good but great exclusive games that sell more consoles.

Like this break down:

Wii: Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3

PS3: Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank Future

360: Halo 3, Gears of War, BioShock

That's not to say that the PS3 and 360 don't have other great game such as CoD4, Orange Box, and Assassin's Creed to name a few.

The wii obviously get's neglected in the 3rd party support when released across all 3 platforms. Take COD3 for example...The 360 and PS3 titles looked exactly the same, the wii's version was built exclusively for the wii and the visuals obviously had to be dumbed down.

Nintendo took this route themselves you know they choose gameplay, innovation, and affordability. Rather than go with higher visual quality, power, and an overall entertainment unit as SONY and Microsoft did. That's not to say that 360 and PS3 games cannot be innovative and not to say that wii games can't look great...you get the idea.

Spatial.Archite
12-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Two things to point out though; the Xbox 360 has the same issue that the original seemed to... it's basically been pegged as the FPS box. Not exactly true, and they've dispelled the image a little, but it's still there.

Next point is more of a question that I recently thought about; how often does the the technologically weakest console lose that generation? The PS2 was the weakest console last generation (unless you count the Dreamcast which was caught between generations), the original Playstation was inferior to the Nintendo 64, the GameBoy was inferior to the Game Gear, the DS is inferior to the PSP... Even the Sega Master System was more powerful than the NES. The SNES was more powerful than the Genesis though, so the technologically weakest console has lost at least once, lol.

I'd say history favors the weakest console in any generation. But I would like to point out that I actually like my PS3 more than I thought I would; the biggest issue is that Sony tried to throw in too much. I understand what they were going for, but I would assume that most the additional features they've thrown in get very little use in most households. They're nice to have, but just not very practical for everyday use.

Oh, and my other complaint is that load times can be horrid.

Spatial.Archite
12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Bat collector, I think everyone should have a Wii. Everyone who plays games I mean. I'm not an anti Nintendo guy at all. Just talking about the war is all. The games that Red has named are all great games. Just don't expect much gaming goodness beyond what Nintendo makes.

I think this is very true with a few exceptions scattered here and there. The sad part is that it's not really anyone but the developers fault. I'm sure there will be decent games from other companies aside from Nintendo, but a large portion of the games are just going to take advantage of the novelty of the system and the massive installation base. I think we'll see tons of games come out for the Wii throughout it's life, but most of them will suck and it won't matter much for the developers as they're not investing too much into them.

ashley76
12-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I can't believe the PS2 is outselling the PS3? You would think since the PS3 has been out for over a year that it would be doing better...

chrisg
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I can't believe the PS2 is outselling the PS3? You would think since the PS3 has been out for over a year that it would be doing better...

With the huge library of games, more games still coming out, and low price tag, it will probably keep selling for a while.

Sony probably should have waited to launch something new for a few more years. They were the leader, they should have played their own strategy and not worried about what Microsoft was doing. It seems that most developers were really finally settleling in with the PS2 hardware and doing some really great stuff with it. Probably could've gone 2-3 more years with it before coming out with anything new.

Chris

RichBamf
12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
IMO, Part of the reason the PS3 is selling well is because no parents can get hold of a Wii for their kids.

Wii's sell out the day a new load hits shops, but I haven't seen PS3's sold out ANYWHERE in London. They've been sitting on the shelves for months.

I wonder what'll happen when the Wii is widely available in the UK, then will the PS3 be selling as well?

bat_collector
12-15-2007, 12:10 PM

maybe third party publishers aren't thinking outside the box like they should be.

of course they can always push out yet ANOTHER fps. yawn

bat_collector
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
all I want for christmas is a wii

lol

Red X
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd say history favors the weakest console in any generation.

I don't think history favors weaker consoles. All the consoles you named were out before their competition...The NES over Genesis, Playstation over N64, Gameboy over Gamegear, PS2 over Gamecube and Xbox...

All the systems that were "winners" or the most successful that gen were usually the first ones out that's why they were "weaker" But that shows us that usually the system with the larger installed fanbase and the one with the most games and the best games wins. 360 was out first yes, but the wii has already sold more...because they are entirely 2 different systems.

This is the first gen were Nintendo has actually tried something different to separate themselves from the crowd, rather than directly compete with it...and it's working.

Sony did mess up with the strategy of the PS3, the launched a year after the 360. With hardly any games and a higher price tag. They made a lot of mistakes and are now trying to play catch. They totally switched their marketing on the console. To me these mistakes cost them their crown this gen...after reigning 2 generations in a row. Sony made a misstep and it shows now. They are finally moving more consoles with the price drop, but they were suppose to be a higher end gaming console...but they quickly found out no one wanted to pay that much for a console that had like 3 games worth getting in it's first year.

We will see if SONY can pull ahead and finally start competing with the sales of at least the 360.

Bartholomew
12-15-2007, 03:05 PM
i guess this means certain parts of Europe have bad taste.:p

Ink
12-15-2007, 04:40 PM

halo 1 is backwards compatible...so yeah its a 360 game

Red X
12-15-2007, 10:26 PM

Then that means every great PS2 game counts on the PS3 then! All 105 of them!:thumbs2:

JM28Cardiff
12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Ive got no interest in the Wii (I'd like a DS Lite though).

If the prices come down a bit more, I could see the PS3 eventually winning the console war, simply because PS1 and PS2 were so successful and its such a strong brand.

biglebowski9999
12-16-2007, 03:57 AM

:rolleyes2

biglebowski9999
12-16-2007, 04:02 AM
IMO, Part of the reason the PS3 is selling well is because no parents can get hold of a Wii for their kids.

Wii's sell out the day a new load hits shops, but I haven't seen PS3's sold out ANYWHERE in London. They've been sitting on the shelves for months.

I wonder what'll happen when the Wii is widely available in the UK, then will the PS3 be selling as well?

Let me guess, you own a 360, right?

Part of the reason the Wii is so popular is it's price-tag. I seriously doubt many parents show up to a store and say "Oh, you're all out of Wii's??? Well, just throw one of those Sony-thingy's that costs twice as much in my cart." And even if your theory were true, it would help 360 sales just as much as the PS3s. PS3 sales have spiked because of the price cut...not because of a Wii shortage that has basically been going on since the system was released over a year ago.

Spatial.Archite
12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't think history favors weaker consoles. All the consoles you named were out before their competition...The NES over Genesis, Playstation over N64, Gameboy over Gamegear, PS2 over Gamecube and Xbox...

All the systems that were "winners" or the most successful that gen were usually the first ones out that's why they were "weaker" But that shows us that usually the system with the larger installed fanbase and the one with the most games and the best games wins. 360 was out first yes, but the wii has already sold more...because they are entirely 2 different systems.

This is the first gen were Nintendo has actually tried something different to separate themselves from the crowd, rather than directly compete with it...and it's working.

Sony did mess up with the strategy of the PS3, the launched a year after the 360. With hardly any games and a higher price tag. They made a lot of mistakes and are now trying to play catch. They totally switched their marketing on the console. To me these mistakes cost them their crown this gen...after reigning 2 generations in a row. Sony made a misstep and it shows now. They are finally moving more consoles with the price drop, but they were suppose to be a higher end gaming console...but they quickly found out no one wanted to pay that much for a console that had like 3 games worth getting in it's first year.

We will see if SONY can pull ahead and finally start competing with the sales of at least the 360.

The Genesis came out before the SNES, and I believe Sega's Master System came out before the original NES (not sure about that one though). I mean, there's other factors to consider, but it's interesting to think about. If you go by whichever one came out first, the Dreamcast also beat the PS2 to the market.

With the original Playstation, Sony had a great product design (largely because they didn't design it), but they pulled ahead mostly because of Nintendo's arrogance and being very short-sighted.

The PS2 and DVD owe each other much. Some people say that PS2 pulled DVD along, and some say the opposite is true. I don't think either is true, both simply benefited greatly from the other's existence.

I don't think Sony's brand name is anywhere near as strong as it used to be; their computers get thrashed in reviews, everyone knows the PS3 and PSP are getting slaughtered. I don't think it's enough anymore. There was also Sony infecting PCs with a rootkit creating security holes in however many PCs (in the millions perhaps?). Sony losing the copyright infringement suit from Immersion (and the appeal). Remember Sony saying that rumble was, "Last generation's feature" (direct quote even) and that the PS3's lack of rumble had nothing to do with the lawsuit? Now the Dual Shock 3 features rumble... Then there were major layoffs... tax evasion...

They thought the brand name was enough for the PSP. I think the Sony image has taken a beating in the past few years.

And in truth, it's really a shame, as the PS3 is a good system; which surprises me as the PS2 was just poorly designed. It tries too much though, Sony's taking on too many opponents and their systems don't really have any identity. Remember when the PSP came out? They were pushing it as an ipod killer and a DS killer. The same is true with the PS3, it's competing with the 360 and the Wii to be sure, but that's only the beginning. It's also competing with HD-DVD, but since it's pushing Blu-Ray as the "next" movie format, it still has to topple the current one, so it's also competing against standard DVDs.

Red X
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
The Genesis came out before the SNES, and I believe Sega's Master System came out before the original NES (not sure about that one though). I mean, there's other factors to consider, but it's interesting to think about. If you go by whichever one came out first, the Dreamcast also beat the PS2 to the market.

With the original Playstation, Sony had a great product design (largely because they didn't design it), but they pulled ahead mostly because of Nintendo's arrogance and being very short-sighted.

The PS2 and DVD owe each other much. Some people say that PS2 pulled DVD along, and some say the opposite is true. I don't think either is true, both simply benefited greatly from the other's existence.

I don't think Sony's brand name is anywhere near as strong as it used to be; their computers get thrashed in reviews, everyone knows the PS3 and PSP are getting slaughtered. I don't think it's enough anymore. There was also Sony infecting PCs with a rootkit creating security holes in however many PCs (in the millions perhaps?). Sony losing the copyright infringement suit from Immersion (and the appeal). Remember Sony saying that rumble was, "Last generation's feature" (direct quote even) and that the PS3's lack of rumble had nothing to do with the lawsuit? Now the Dual Shock 3 features rumble... Then there were major layoffs... tax evasion...

They thought the brand name was enough for the PSP. I think the Sony image has taken a beating in the past few years.

And in truth, it's really a shame, as the PS3 is a good system; which surprises me as the PS2 was just poorly designed. It tries too much though, Sony's taking on too many opponents and their systems don't really have any identity. Remember when the PSP came out? They were pushing it as an ipod killer and a DS killer. The same is true with the PS3, it's competing with the 360 and the Wii to be sure, but that's only the beginning. It's also competing with HD-DVD, but since it's pushing Blu-Ray as the "next" movie format, it still has to topple the current one, so it's also competing against standard DVDs.

Yes but Genesis was still competing with the NES for a few years before the SNES came out...Genesis was always late a few years, besides the Dreamcast, which did come out first but Sega went under...so out of the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox...PS2 was still the oldest after DC hit the deck...so my theory stands.:thumbs2: