PDA

View Full Version : Need guitar advise.

mwf6171
12-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Hey everyone,

I have decided to start playing to guitar again. It has been almost 13 years since I last picked up a guitar to play and even then I wasn't very good. I gave my old guitar and amp to a buddy and have lost touch with him, so I am in the market for a new electric guitar. I used to have a Washburn that was decent, but have been looking at some Jay Tursers, cheap but sound good. Does anyone have any advise?? I am not looking to sink a bunch of money into a guitar right now, just want to get something that will enable me to get back into it and once I improve then move onto a better guitar. BTW, have already replaced the amp, now just need a new ax!! :D

Thanks in advance! :thumbs2:

Michael

Davidian
12-20-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm a bass player, but I've always been partial to Ibanez. Their guitars sound awesome and if you're looking to get back into playing guitar, they have decent guitars that aren't very expensive but still sound great.

cblakey1
12-20-2007, 11:59 AM
A good, all around guitar is a Strat or strat –style. They are best for all music genres. Squire (a division of Fender) is a cheap version made in Korea. Peavy and Yamaha also make reasonably priced Strats (I have the Yamaha). I’m not sure about the others, but mine has a whammy bar. Gotta have one of them! :buttrock:

Epiphone (a division of Gibson) makes a decent (lighter weight) version of a Les Paul. This is also recommended as a good all around guitar.

Other decent, reasonably priced brands are Silvertone, Washburn, BC Rich, and Ibanez.

You really can’t go wrong with any company these days. From buying them on the cheap, reading reviews and playing them myself, I can say that they are all decent for someone who just wants to belt out a tune every now and again.

Mwf, dude.. I kind’a picture you as a heavy metal type, so I would recommend something of the flying V or BC Rich Warlock variety. :eek:

Here’s two decent sites to browse inexpensive guitars, reviews, etc.. I buy from them both!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar.gc

http://www.music123.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars-Electric-Guitars.Music123

Good luck!

yorick
12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Having played guitar for a little over 15 years and taught guitar for about 5, I have one piece of advice.

Don't buy cheap.

Cheap guitars are typically harder to play and simply encourage people to quit.

Also, it's easier to justify quitting if you don't have that much sunk into your rig. A little guilt can go a long way toward keeping you on track and committed to progressing.

So make your purchase "hurt," but only a little...don't lose your house or anything...

Don't go for looks, go for sound and playability. If you know anyone that plays guitar, or has a bit more experience than you, take them shopping with you. At the very least, ask the shop owner or clerk helping you to sit and play the guitar. If it sounds good in their hands, then chances are that you can make it sound good as well, eventually...:)

mwf6171
12-20-2007, 01:30 PM
A good, all around guitar is a Strat or strat –style. They are best for all music genres. Squire (a division of Fender) is a cheap version made in Korea. Peavy and Yamaha also make reasonably priced Strats (I have the Yamaha). I’m not sure about the others, but mine has a whammy bar. Gotta have one of them! :buttrock:

Epiphone (a division of Gibson) makes a decent (lighter weight) version of a Les Paul. This is also recommended as a good all around guitar.

Other decent, reasonably priced brands are Silvertone, Washburn, BC Rich, and Ibanez.

You really can’t go wrong with any company these days. From buying them on the cheap, reading reviews and playing them myself, I can say that they are all decent for someone who just wants to belt out a tune every now and again.

Mwf, dude.. I kind’a picture you as a heavy metal type, so I would recommend something of the flying V or BC Rich Warlock variety. :eek:

Here’s two decent sites to browse inexpensive guitars, reviews, etc.. I buy from them both!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar.gc

http://www.music123.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars-Electric-Guitars.Music123

Good luck!
Well, yeah, I do tend to lean more towards the metal, but I think I will hold off on the Flying V for a while......:laugh:

mwf6171
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
There is a shop here in KC that has a Washburn X10 for $90.........I have had a Washburn before........might go take a look and see what I can dig up. I was looking on eBay, but by the time you pay shipping, you can find the same guitar here for about the same price......

yorick
12-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Some reviews on the X10 for you

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Washburn/X-10/10/1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X10-Electric-Guitar?sku=515397

cblakey1
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Having played guitar for a little over 15 years and taught guitar for about 5, I have one piece of advice.

Don't buy cheap.

Cheap guitars are typically harder to play and simply encourage people to quit.

Also, it's easier to justify quitting if you don't have that much sunk into your rig. A little guilt can go a long way toward keeping you on track and committed to progressing.

So make your purchase "hurt," but only a little...don't lose your house or anything...

Don't go for looks, go for sound and playability. If you know anyone that plays guitar, or has a bit more experience than you, take them shopping with you. At the very least, ask the shop owner or clerk helping you to sit and play the guitar. If it sounds good in their hands, then chances are that you can make it sound good as well, eventually...:)

Speaking for myself, I took lessons for a few years, watched alot of the "old" Mtv to self teach, and ran out and got tabulature when I heard a tune I wanted to play. I'm basically a hack who picks up my guitar when I get a notion, which is usually about once per month. Your advice is good for someone who wants to jump in and aspires to greatness, but for an old dog like me, the cheap-o's suffice. Plus, the less expensive ones require a bit of break-in time, then they feel and sound just as good as their more expensive counterparts.

... That's not to say though, that I wouldn't like to get my hands on that $2700.00 self-tuning Les Paul! :buttrock:

yorick
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
I can definitely appreciate that rationale, and if that's working, then cool. I just didn't know what mwf's plans were.

The only part we might disagree on is:
Plus, the less expensive ones require a bit of break-in time, then they feel and sound just as good as their more expensive counterparts.

mwf6171
12-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I can definitely appreciate that rationale, and if that's working, then cool. I just didn't know what mwf's plans were.

My plans are to start taking lessons again to be able to play some of my favorite songs, Skynrd, Metallica, etc. The place I was leaning towards taking lessons sells the Jay Turser guitars. The reviews I have seen were good, but I should be able to pick up the Washburn X10 for about $90 where the Turser is $170. I have had a Washburn in the past and it was a pretty decent guitar, Force 1 if memory serves me. Anyway, I knew some of yous guys play and figured I would pick your brains.

Thanks. :thumbs2:

mwf6171
12-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Well, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Washburn X10.............will let anyone that may be interested know once I get her.

:D

mwf6171
01-03-2008, 12:56 AM
For anyone that cares, I recently picked up a Washburn WI14 electric guitar and a Peavey Rage amp. Manged to pick it all up for less than $150!! :thumbs2: Now to try to pick up where I left off 15 yrs ago........sigh..........my fingers are going to be sore for a while............. :D

yorick
01-03-2008, 05:48 PM
So what's the first song you're going to attempt?

nbr3bagshotrow
01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Switch to air guitar.

CocoPUFF
01-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Switch to air guitar.

I play a mean air guitar!:buttrock:

nbr3bagshotrow
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM

With a screen name like CocoPUFF i'm not surprised.:buttrock:

cougartrace
01-03-2008, 06:28 PM

I bet :confused2

cblakey1
01-03-2008, 06:31 PM
For anyone that cares, I recently picked up a Washburn WI14 electric guitar and a Peavey Rage amp. Manged to pick it all up for less than $150!! :thumbs2: Now to try to pick up where I left off 15 yrs ago........sigh..........my fingers are going to be sore for a while............. :D

Awesome man.. bring her on over!

I just got my amp for my electric drum kit so I'm ready to go! :buttrock: We can get Pablo to join the band and we can be like Rush or Triumph! :thumbs2:

cblakey1
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM

I was thinking skin flute! :eek:

j/k man! :buttrock:

mwf6171
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
So what's the first song you're going to attempt?Not sure.........I used to be able to play, barely, Stairway to Heaven, Love me Tender and Heart of Gold. For right now, I will be happy re-learning everything I used to know. My biggest issue is I do not know how to read music, so I have always used tab. I would like to be able to read music. Going to start lessons in a few weeks and see how it goes. Anyone have any ideas on self taught systems for the guitar?

CocoPUFF
01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I was thinking skin flute! :eek:

j/k man! :buttrock:

LOL! I tell this guy at work that all the time! He's kind of old and doesn't get the 'lingo' sometimes. I made him ask for a 12 inch tube steak sandwich at subway once. Even the clerks laughed at him and he was like "Whats so funny? Don't you guys have that tube steak sub? I hear I can only order it in a 12 inch"...Oh, man...funniest moment in my life...I think I laughed for two days straight! And I still laugh when I see him, even though it happened 2 years ago!

Doc Sonic
01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Try http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

I've made a few purchases there. Good place and price matching.

cblakey1
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
LOL! I tell this guy at work that all the time! He's kind of old and doesn't get the 'lingo' sometimes. I made him ask for a 12 inch tube steak sandwich at subway once. Even the clerks laughed at him and he was like "Whats so funny? Don't you guys have that tube steak sub? I hear I can only order it in a 12 inch"...Oh, man...funniest moment in my life...I think I laughed for two days straight! And I still laugh when I see him, even though it happened 2 years ago!

:laugh: Man, I'M kind'a old and even I wouldn't get suckered into that one! :laugh:

CocoPUFF
01-03-2008, 08:19 PM
:laugh: Man, I'M kind'a old and even I wouldn't get suckered into that one! :laugh:

He's kind of a loudmouth stuck in the 80's. He still wears polyester jump suits with wifebeaters underneath, and his gold chains hanging out. Even the customers were laughing at him...he wasn't even embarassed cuz he still didn't get it! I had to explain it to him when we got back to the store!

Zurbaran1
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
... Anyone have any ideas on self taught systems for the guitar?

Check out this site http://www.justinguitar.com/ (http://www.justinguitar.com/)
jerseydevil turned me on to it and it's pretty good.

mwf6171
01-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Check out this site http://www.justinguitar.com/ (http://www.justinguitar.com/)
jerseydevil turned me on to it and it's pretty good.
Cool, will check it out....... :thumbs2: