PDA

View Full Version : Odin bust questions

randy bowen
02-11-2005, 10:09 PM
OK- I've always wanted to sculpt Odin. Here's a couple questions:

1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? I can't remember from the comics if he's larger of not.

2. What's the definitive Odin costume? (or artists style) He's different in just about every comic. (If you have favorite versions/visuals -Please email (jpgs)them to : heather@bowendesigns.com).

3.This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any differene to you?

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version)

Other thoughts? :wink2:

Tattoo-X
02-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Tigra should be with arms, butt, and tail. :thumbs2: :eplus2:

Oh, you're asking about Odin. I'll have to get back to you on that. :D

twisterred
Definitely should be larger as the All-Father but in a stockier way instead of height. As for the costume look at the Beta Ray Bill run in Thor to pick a great one. No arms is the way to go and syntheize to your hearts content. He needs a helmut with some kind of horn(s) sticking out is the only thing I would mandate.

How about adding his ravens somewhere either on the base or have on his shoulder.

bigben7
well i think he should be larger than thor definitely , odin is the main man.as for arms, maybe arms crossed

Meta Jon
02-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Can't say who's art I would like the most for this one but with regards to the sculpt I more than trust your judgement :buttrock:

Ghost
02-11-2005, 10:14 PM
No arms I think is a great way to go Randy, and if it was a synthesis of your version I think that would rock. I'm not entirely familiar with him, so I can't say which costume would be perfect, but I like that idea. I can't wait to see this when the time comes!

ol'canuckle
02-11-2005, 10:16 PM
I'd go with the look from the Beta Ray Saga....I always thought Thor was taller than Odin.....

ol'canuckle
02-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Oh.. no arms would be classic look and I think help the flow of the display with the original Thor and soon BRB and BAT

bat_collector
02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Odin is winning my bust poll and now Randy talks of doing Odin?

I would like to think my poll had a little to do with this.

All you BOTH guys can thank me later. Am I officially in the club now?

Ghost
02-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Haha, well better get started on the "Make an Exodus Bust" campaign then!!!

ol'canuckle
02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah Exodus would ROCK I'm with ya

SirConor
02-11-2005, 10:33 PM
No arms is DEFINITELY the way to go Randy!! I'm excited about this one already. Admittedly, I'm not the best source of Odin-ness so we'll have to wait till someone like Dana gets on :)

W00t! Good choice!

Tattoo-X
02-11-2005, 10:41 PM
I like this card done by Greg and Tim Hildebrandt.

twisterred
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM

but with an eye patch

Ghost
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Hell yeah I forgot I had that card. That would really work, he's really stout and large just not as tall as Thor.

bat_collector
02-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Haha, well better get started on the "Make an Exodus Bust" campaign then!!!
You rock!

DDura711
02-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I'll take Exodus before Odin.

Ghost
02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
You rock!

:laugh: I just want an Exodus bad!

I'll take Exodus before Odin.

To tell you the truth, I would too. The kewlest Acolyte out there! But Odin would make a great addition...to the B.O.T.H. collections!

twisterred
02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
ahem,....Black Goliath......

insomniac
02-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't know if he is taller but he is definately wider than Thor.

Sniper
02-11-2005, 11:01 PM
great news always liked the way the character looked!

SirConor
02-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Yea don't hijack the thread you Exodus-lovers (I want an Exodus [badly] too). Odin will be SWEET

Tattoo-X
02-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Dana would be proud of me.
How about these characters below?
Busts of Thunderstrike, Ulik, and Enchantress.
Full Size Beta Ray Bill.
Oops, how did those other two get in there? ;)
Since they're there, Julie Carpenter Spider-Woman has enough votes on my Poll to make her worthy of being done. :thumbs2:
Just put a trident in Namors hand, and that would be a great Mini-Scale Sub-Mariner statue. :thumbs2:

Ghost
02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Yea don't hijack the thread you Exodus-lovers (I want an Exodus [badly] too). Odin will be SWEET

Haha, Odin will be great!

Tattoo-X
02-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Is this the Exodus you guys are talking about?
What's his history?

Ghost
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Is this the Exodus you guys are talking about?
What's his history?

Hell yeah that's him! Bennet du Paris is his name, all I know is that he's been the leader of the Acolytes or Mags second in command. He's a telepath. He was always a visually stunning character.

Tattoo-X
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Hell yeah that's him! Bennet du Paris is his name, all I know is that he's been the leader of the Acolytes or Mags second in command. He's a telepath. He was always a visually stunning character.
Back of the card says he's a mutant. Is he a X-Men villain?

cyberpunk12
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Sweeeeeet! No doubt, Dana will pounce upon his keyboard when he sees this on Monday :D Glad to hear you have an interest in this one, Randymeister. Odin would be a great addition to the lineup (flanked by BA Thor and Beta Ray).

1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? In my mind, YES. I picture him as a large, imposing character. He's the King of the Asgardian mountain and should look like he can bring the lumber.

2. What's the definitive Odin costume? (or artists style) He's different in just about every comic. I'm partial to Walt Simonson's Asgardian stylings. I'll have to break out the scanner and send in some pics.

3. This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any difference to you? Perfect.

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version) I like that idea... it would undoubtedly make him more fun for you to sculpt and that can only lead to good things.

bats- I think a Golden Hammer Award is in your future :D

Ghost
02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Back of the card says he's a mutant. Is he a X-Men villain?

Yeah he's a mutant telepath. And yeah, Magneto recruited him to replace Cortez after he betrayed Magnus. He was like a big devout follower of what Magneto believed in so he tried getting other mutants to join their cause up in Asteroid M/Avalon. So he lead the Acolytes to fight X-Force, X-Men, and so on.

BobbyW
02-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I like the idea of Odin without arms. Arms should only be put on to show action relating to the character.

As for the look, I like the Simonson era; Beta Ray Bill, Surtur, Malekeith, etc.

calvery18
02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, I would also think that Odin is wider not quite as tall as Thor as i remember
I like his ravens as an enhancement

Ghost
02-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Yes, I would also think that Odin is wider not quite as tall as Thor as i remember
I like his ravens as an enhancement

Hell yeah his Raven on his shoulder or something.

Ron Burgundy: Great Odin's Raven!!!

Thing
02-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Odin should be bigger than Thor.. Arms would be cool, crossed with his staff. An amalgam of styles sounds cool Randy... Cant wait to see a sketch....

1logan
02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Simonson style, raven, and no arms. About the size of Colossus bust, but wider. Oh and if you paint anything gold, dont do it like Captain Marvel bands, like silver with yellow over it.

Thing
02-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Ok Randy, just checked my Marvel Universe Handbooks and it lists Odin as being 6'9 650 pds and Thor as being 6'6 640 pds....

gman
02-12-2005, 12:22 AM
here are a few scans...the head piece on odin in the 1st book is key and in JIM #122, you get a sense of his overall look....

Jesse321
02-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Definately larger than Thor .. HEAVILY HEAVILY influenced in the Walter Simonson style!

OneOne78
02-12-2005, 12:24 AM

1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? I can't remember from the comics if he's larger of not.

2. What's the definitive Odin costume? (or artists style) He's different in just about every comic. (If you have favorite versions/visuals -Please email (jpgs)them to : heather@bowendesigns.com).

3.This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any differene to you?

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version)

Randy ask Dana P and the B.O.T.H. and you'll get more than what you bargained for :laugh:

madjazz
02-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok Randy, just checked my Marvel Universe Handbooks and it lists Odin as being 6'9 650 pds and Thor as being 6'6 640 pds....
This makes sense. If you think about specific stories, Odin is usually sitting or lying down asleep. This could definately give off the impression that Thor is bigger, but it is not true. Thor just gets up off his fat @$$ once in a while! Odin is bigger.

I agree - go with a version heavily influenced by Simonson, but don't feel locked in by that. Borrow a little from all the masters. Eyepatch - yes!

No arms is fine - a natural display would have him in back of Thor anyway, and no arms will facilitate that.

OneOne78
02-12-2005, 12:46 AM
This makes sense. If you think about specific stories, Odin is usually sitting or lying down asleep. This could definately give off the impression that Thor is bigger, but it is not true. Thor just gets up off his fat @$$ once in a while! Odin is bigger.

I agree - go with a version heavily influenced by Simonson, but don't feel locked in by that. Borrow a little from all the masters. Eyepatch - yes!

No arms is fine - a natural display would have him in back of Thor anyway, and no arms will facilitate that.
Sounds good to me.

The General
02-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Odin has indeed smiled upon us. Thank you Randy! Are you squeezing him into this phase?

B.O.T.H. :buttrock:

spider-man
02-12-2005, 12:58 AM
If your doing it randy I'm in also I would like a kirby style odin.

Sniper
02-12-2005, 01:26 AM
If your doing it randy I'm in also I would like a kirby style odin.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Mosby
02-12-2005, 02:06 AM
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

YEA, VERILY -- methinks the KIRBY STYLE ODIN SHALL BE THE BEST!

And another vote here for making the look a hybrid of your own design, Randy -- but, it's those early Journey into Mystery/Thor covers that GMan posted here that are, to many people, THE definitive look of Odin. I like Simonson, but KIRBY IS KING, BABY!

Rome
02-12-2005, 03:18 AM

Well I agree with the responses here Randy.
1)Yes,..absolutely Larger than Thor.
2)best (and Only) styles to choose from are Kirby, J.Buscema, and Simonson. an amalgram of those would be fine (Fancy Kirbyesk Head piece is essential) though
3)Without arms actually makes sense for him
4) Not not at all. In fact I think it would almost have to be your own version,as his "costume" changed with each new appearance..

Can't wait to get this one. Thank you

Garrett
02-12-2005, 04:50 AM
I would dearly love to have a Odin bust I only voted for it in a poll the other day.

As to his hight compared with Thor is there not some statistics on them? I cannot find any myself but looking at some Marvel Masterworks copies of the old Thor, Odin does not look to be as tall as some of his subjects, yet I would imaging Thor to be as tall as any other.

One thing is for sure is definitely bigger in his girth.

Ghost
02-12-2005, 06:19 AM
YEA, VERILY -- methinks the KIRBY STYLE ODIN SHALL BE THE BEST!

And another vote here for making the look a hybrid of your own design, Randy -- but, it's those early Journey into Mystery/Thor covers that GMan posted here that are, to many people, THE definitive look of Odin. I like Simonson, but KIRBY IS KING, BABY!

Kirby anything would be the best! That would rock! But Randy's stuff is the shizz so I'm game!

The Watcher
02-12-2005, 06:20 AM
I hope Odin is depicted as a dark and brooding character if he is made into a bust. I also like the idea of ravens and maybe even an eye patch.

Sheesh! I didn't know Thor was that fat! 6'6 and 640 lbs.?

Tattoo-X
02-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Odin has indeed smiled upon us. Thank you Randy! Are you squeezing him into this phase?

B.O.T.H. :buttrock:
I just checked Silver Surfers bust list. Odin is not on it. He's a "Mystery Bust" or Dana's been working over-time bugging Randy. ;)

to me my board!
02-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Well I agree with the responses here Randy.
1)Yes,..absolutely Larger than Thor.
2)best (and Only) styles to choose from are Kirby, J.Buscema, and Simonson. an amalgram of those would be fine (Fancy Kirbyesk Head piece is essential) though
3)Without arms actually makes sense for him
4) Not not at all. In fact I think it would almost have to be your own version,as his "costume" changed with each new appearance..

Can't wait to get this one. Thank you

I agree with all of this and I think we need Dana to point out Odin's definitive costume - I'm sure Odin had a favourite that he wore more than most...

to me my board!
02-12-2005, 09:13 AM
...and great news about Odin by the way Randy! :thumbs2:

Comicboy
02-12-2005, 09:19 AM
WHOO HOO! The All Father! :buttrock: I like incorporating the Ravens. Maybe into the base?

dr.doom
02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Great news!!!I'd like a Odin bust with his golden armor,classic style or J.Romita Jr. style,absolutely larger than Thor.Without arms is ok for me,if with arms,I'd like his sceptre in his hand :)

Dvdmac
02-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Great artwork, but he is too think there. I remember him being a wide stocky, imposing, taller than Thor character.

I will have to shoot off some digital pics

Garrett
02-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Forgot I would like him with arms and ravens some where on the bust(sholder, arm or base).

wallofsound
02-12-2005, 10:47 AM
No arms necessary, but I thought he was dramatically taller and larger overall than Thor. I've been assuming this would be in the same size as Giant Man, though I haven't read Thor for the past couple of years.

Ravens are a great idea!

Collection King 13
02-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I think Odin will look great with or without arms!

The General
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I think Odin will look great with or without arms!
Me too. :thumbs2:

Bullseye
02-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Me too. :thumbs2:

What about a name plate? :D

Tattoo-X
02-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Gotta have a big name plate. ;)

The General
02-12-2005, 12:20 PM
What about a name plate? :D
Oh yeah! http://www.coolsmilies.net/food/beer.gif

Leon
02-12-2005, 12:45 PM
WHO'S THE MASTER?
Sho-nuff!

rychehitman
02-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Here are the thoughts I posted back on December 16th....

Ok, lets try this one on for size.....

If Randy asked YOU to pick the character for the suprise bust, what ONE character would you pick. Keep in mind marketability.

I would have to say Odin. Asgard, and Odin have played a large role in many classic Marvel Universe tales, and should be represented with his sons. I would like to see him sculpted with Ravens Memory and Thought perched upon his shoulders, the eye-patch, and Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder incorporated into the base along with Nordic Runes

Hall of Justice
02-12-2005, 01:30 PM
He should be larger than Thor. I would go with the Kirby design from the "Trial of the Gods" storyline. If I can dig up those books, I'll send a picture.

bruin218
02-12-2005, 02:40 PM
He should be larger than Thor.
I would say to Randy...have fun with this one, make it your own "synthesis" style.
After all, if you look at all the early Kirby Journey into Mystery/Thor issues, his costume styles tended to change issue to issue, sometimes panel to panel!
Bring on the All-Father!

workingdog
02-12-2005, 02:55 PM

1. Yes, Odin should be larger than Thor.
2. I don't think there's ever been a definitive outfit on Odin. Without a doubt, he's had more wardrobe changes than Janet Van Dyne. ;) I think it'd probably be best Randy if you did go with your own costume take.
3. I'd prefer no arms.

You do need the big bushy white beard. And as other have already mentioned, I think the eye patch "look" along with ravens on shoulders perched would be awesome. I fired off the pics below to Heather. (As you can see in the one, Odin is taller than Thor).

As always, thanks again for asking for our input, Randy!

Mad4Busts
02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Personally, I like the way Romita Jr. drew him in the Thor relaunch!! Or you can go with Simonson/Kirby.....

The General
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I just received not so inspiring news. Looks like Odin might not get squeezed into this phase after all. Oh well. :( Phase III :buttrock:

Daredevil
02-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Where did you get the info from, general?

randy bowen
02-12-2005, 11:08 PM
He might- and he might not. Too early to say...

Daredevil
02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Will we ever see Dazzler busted by Bowen Designs, Randy?

Perna
02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I see Odin as being bigger then Thor in the sense that he's huskier and not having muscles as defined as Thors. He's definately wider.

randy bowen
02-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Not a Dazzler fan. But you never know. I do like hot chicks though ...

Tattoo-X
02-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Let's concentrate on Tigra please. ;)

Daredevil
02-12-2005, 11:37 PM

Doh! Look at her, she's SMOKING!! :thumbs2: :thumbs2: We need more females in the collection, anyways

http://www.lexode.com/galerie/galerie_affiche_59215_0.html

Tattoo-X
02-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Here's a hot chick. Has to be. Look at all that hair and fur. ;)

randy bowen
02-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Wow! who is that charcter? She'd make a great bust!

JR2
02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Odin should be larger than Thor, he is the All-Father after all.

As far as the costume goes, I can't really remember one that was a definitive Odin. If I remember correctly, his garb changed frequently. (I'm sure B.O.T.H. will correct me on this if I'm wrong.)

Cool idea for a bust.

:thumbs2:

Tattoo-X
02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Wow! who is that charcter? She'd make a great bust!
Very funny Randy.;) :laugh:

How about that Namor Mini Scale in Phase 3? :D

Daredevil
02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Here's another hot chickadee - White Queen!

Sniper
02-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Very funny Randy.;) :laugh:

How about that Namor Mini Scale in Phase 3? :D
you got her all worked up randy :laugh:

Tattoo-X
02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
you got her all worked up randy :laugh:
Who you calling "her?"

Tattoo-X
02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Here I believe are some cards of Asgard characters, plus a little green FF villain.

Sniper
02-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Who you calling "her?"
meant him , oh my

Thing
02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Oh No... Not the Impossible man......... :eek:

wktf
02-13-2005, 01:17 AM

As the Romita Jr picture showed, he definitely should be taller and broader than Thor.

I love the Kirby costumes with the big horns, like this one from "Thunder in the Netherworld."

No arms would look very regal, like the Roman and Greek busts of kings

Synthesize away, I love both Kirby and Simonson's Odin.

Tattoo-X
02-13-2005, 01:19 AM
meant him , oh my
Figured you're easily confused, and thought it was my wife. :confused: ;) :laugh:

madjazz
02-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Odin will be cool.

And now that this thread has disintigrated into tangent, here's the next hot chicks that need busts. And did I mention that one of them has a sword AND a spear? That one should get a FS. :eplus2:

Mosby
02-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Randy -- don't know if someone already mentioned this, but it's very relevant info on Odin, so here it is:

I'm presuming you have "Bring on the Bad Guys" graphic novel that has the origins of some of the baddest boys in the Marvel universe? Well, in there is the origin of Loki. It's a great story. Anyway, there are a LOT of pics of Odin in there, since it was he who found little Loki and adopted him.

They're all by Kirby, of course, and look great. Let me know if you want me to get you some of those pages.

Tattoo-X
02-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh No... Not the Impossible man......... :eek:
Oh yes, the Impossible Man.
He needs busted too. ;)

madjazz
02-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Oh yes, the Impossible Man.
He needs busted too. ;)
Yes, by the fashion police! :laugh:

MONSTER
02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Let's concentrate on Tigra please. ;)

You really have a fettish for furry women. :laugh:

madjazz
02-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting TattoX and TattooS next weekend. Of course I'll have to report back on THIS supposition. :D

Tattoo-X
02-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Not exactly.
Just women.
Furry, rocky, green, or bald. :D

StatueItis
02-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Odin gave up that eye in exchange for wisdom. So I would say the patch for sure unless he is the attention deficit Odin.

After looking through a bunch of Thor comics he is drawn sometimes about the same size as Thor but usually about half a head taller.

Odin with that thick beard, eye patch and massive build makes LOBO look like a geek.

wizard-comics
02-14-2005, 12:59 AM
love most of the ideas here but he needs to be battle scared and the eye patch I think would make him stand out even more....

Rome
02-14-2005, 02:15 AM
Not exactly.
Just women.
Furry, rocky, green, or bald. :D
Hey how bout a Moon Dragon bust?

madjazz
02-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey how bout a Moon Dragon bust?
Bald AND green!

dr.doom
02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
IPSE DIXIT!!!Welcome to this thread, Dana.We need the words of the most important Asgardian Bowenknight!!!I love your suggestion of the eye covered by armored piece.I agree about Kirby/Simonson (when you talk about Kirby and Simonson I always agree).However,the importance is to have BRB,BAT and now ODIN busts!!!
B.O.T.H.

wktf
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Dana, couldn't agree more about the eye covering and the two ravens. As far as the Kirby head gear's being impractical, while that may well be for a normal humanoid character, Odin is the will, the way, the power. That he could hold his head high, his neck not even straining, with this massive head gear spoke to the power cosmic (as he described his power during a pitched battle with Thanos, though I choose not to think of the Odinpower as such) that courses through and within him.

To see him as such leaves one in greater awe of his might and power. In fact, it may be a telling sign of the Odinpower's righteous strength. Practical head gear when speaking of the Lord of Asgard? I'm not sure that should be a consideration.

With the eye patch and his faithful ravens, though, he automatically moves into Simonson territory.

bat_collector
Dear Lord! Eleven pages about a minor character?!? Is it just me, or does every Thor fanatic hang out on this board?

wktf
Minor character? Surely you jest!

wktf
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I only wish Kirby were not so difficult to translate into 3D. You know that, as much as I have always loved Simonson's "Thor," I lean more heavily toward Kirby, despite the Coletta inking! Though, the bronze Hulk and Captain America show it's possible to turn Kirby into a FS sculpt!

bat_collector
02-14-2005, 12:44 PM
wktf - bat_collector is still coming to terms with his conversion, so we must be gentle...

The raven(s) and eyepatch are must-haves! And Simonson used a great Kirbyesque helmet/headpiece, so an mostly-Simonson-inspired Odin would perfectly complement the BAT and BRB busts.
Dana P is intent on making me a true BOTH person. He is getting there.

I would get Odin, I'm just surprised how passionate you guys are about him.

wktf
02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, following a title for 40 years will do that to you.

Endless Wake
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
So I guess with Phase III almost secure, Odin will be getting busted.

wktf
03-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Looks like it! By the bristling beard of Odin, one can only hope!!!

toyzplz
03-15-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't have the time to go through all 11 pages of this post, but here's my 2 cents on which style:

The Walt Simonson era. I think it would be great for it to be armless! It would add to the classic feel of the character.

If this has been said and beaten to death (in 11 pages it probably has!), then I apologize for the repetition! But damn Odin need to be with my Thor!

Daredevil
04-09-2006, 01:04 AM
I hope this is being done!

boobhound
04-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Randy, let's see what is done..............you said 90% at one time! Surely you have progress pics!

rychehitman
04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd rather wait to just see
Odin up for order....I know it is going to rival Beta Ray Bill and Battle Armor Thor as the best bust ever made! :buttrock:

wktf
04-09-2006, 02:15 PM
So say we all!!

For honor, for Asgard, for Odin!!

Daredevil
04-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Sweeeeeet! No doubt, Dana will pounce upon his keyboard when he sees this on Monday :D Glad to hear you have an interest in this one, Randymeister. Odin would be a great addition to the lineup (flanked by BA Thor and Beta Ray).

1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? In my mind, YES. I picture him as a large, imposing character. He's the King of the Asgardian mountain and should look like he can bring the lumber.

2. What's the definitive Odin costume? (or artists style) He's different in just about every comic. I'm partial to Walt Simonson's Asgardian stylings. I'll have to break out the scanner and send in some pics.

3. This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any difference to you? Perfect.

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version) I like that idea... it would undoubtedly make him more fun for you to sculpt and that can only lead to good things.

bats- I think a Golden Hammer Award is in your future :D

He's gotta be BIGGER than Sasquatch. He's the ALL-Father!!

Make this happen!! :buttrock:

chromesamurai
04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
What if he were painted in such a way that it actually looked like an old marble Greek bust?

Just an idea...

lord odin
04-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I'd rather wait to just see
Odin up for order....I know it is going to rival Beta Ray Bill and Battle Armor Thor as the best bust ever made! :buttrock:
Praise the lord.

Jack8022
04-09-2006, 04:02 PM
1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? I remember him being bigger than thor.
2. What's the definitive Odin costume? I don't think he has one. He's worn mostly Kirby-Style god clothes I think.
3.This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any differene to you? Nah, not really but he should have an eye patch. Arrrgh!

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version) go for the Kirby-Simonson mix and make everyone happy. Maybe put a raven on his shoulder.

lord odin
04-09-2006, 04:30 PM
1. Should he be slightly larger than Thor? I remember him being bigger than thor.
2. What's the definitive Odin costume? I don't think he has one. He's worn mostly Kirby-Style god clothes I think.
3.This is one I would probably sculpt without arms. Does this make any differene to you? Nah, not really but he should have an eye patch. Arrrgh!

4. Would you have a problem if it were sort of a synthesis of different styles and costumes? (i.e.my own version) go for the Kirby-Simonson mix and make everyone happy. Maybe put a raven on his shoulder.
All good choices and maybe a change o eyepatch ;) :sly2:

madjazz
04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Lord Odin - Welcome back! I haven't seen you around here in a while.

If Randy's doing this one, you know it is going to be good. I have a feeling the first time we see this one is when it is put up for order, but you never know. (If you ask nice, you might be able to get him to let slip what the status on this one is, though. :) )

sons of set
04-09-2006, 08:22 PM
An eye patch and Huginn and Muninn (the ravens) would be nice on each shoulder. Perhaps in one hand Odin grasping his glorious spear Gungnir? Thanks.

wktf
04-09-2006, 08:29 PM
An eye patch and Huginn and Muninn (the ravens) would be nice on each shoulder. Perhaps in one hand Odin grasping his glorious spear Gungnir? Thanks.
Yes to all of this!

rychehitman
04-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I ahve stated MANY times that the Odin mini bust MUST have the eye patch, the the ravens on his shoulders, and Toothgnasher, and Toothgrinder incorporated somehow in the base! A weapon is not a MUST...this is the ALL FATHER we are talking about. No arms and regal, or arms crossed and pissed!

JadeGiant
04-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I ahve stated MANY times that the Odin mini bust MUST have the eye patch, the the ravens on his shoulders, and Toothgnasher, and Toothgrinder incorporated somehow in the base! A weapon is not a MUST...this is the ALL FATHER we are talking about. No arms and regal, or arms crossed and pissed!

I vote for pissed :buttrock:

JadeGiant
04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
ryche - I feat that you've been hit over the head too many times with your Stormbreaker replica. Shake it off, man!

Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder are the goats that drive Thor's chariot. They don't make sense on an Odin bust.

Randy had talked about incorporating Yggdrassil, the World Ash, into the base.

An "armed" Odin makes sense, given that he holds his Scepter of Power. Arms crossed and pissed would be like most of the other, earlier "armed" busts. Too common, too boring.

Ravens on the shoulder would be a nice touch. Or at lease one. Or maybe they can be incorporated into the base as well. As for the eye patch, I'm all for that.

An Asgardian fight ... let me pull up a chair :laugh:

Avenger
04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
An Asgardian fight ... let me pull up a chair :laugh:
Pass the popcorn :laugh:

rychehitman
04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Were the goats not given to Thor by Odin..? Werent they his to begin with...wait, am I getting them confused with the 2 wolves?

How about having MÃ-mir's well as part of the base! That would be very fitting indeed!

wktf
04-09-2006, 11:37 PM
ryche - I feat that you've been hit over the head too many times with your Stormbreaker replica. Shake it off, man!

Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder are the goats that drive Thor's chariot. They don't make sense on an Odin bust.

Randy had talked about incorporating Yggdrassil, the World Ash, into the base.

An "armed" Odin makes sense, given that he holds his Scepter of Power. Arms crossed and pissed would be like most of the other, earlier "armed" busts. Too common, too boring.

Ravens on the shoulder would be a nice touch. Or at lease one. Or maybe they can be incorporated into the base as well. As for the eye patch, I'm all for that.
I say thee, aye! Yggdrassil, the World Ash would be perfect for the base. Too much would make it too cluttered and detract from the grandeur and the glory that is the All-Father.

Once this three way tag team is done I'll take some popcorn over here, too.

rychehitman
04-09-2006, 11:38 PM
a combo would be fitting!

I just hope its a nice blend of both Kirby and Simonson! I have faith in Randy, he has much love for all things Asgardian!

rychehitman
04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
wktf the resident Silver Age Sage chimes in. Excellent. What do you say, Joe? I have a feeling (or maybe it's more of a hope) that Randy will just put the Odin bust up for sale one day. That would be fun, and like old times. We haven't seen any Odin sneaks yet, correct? RB has simply written that Odin is about 90% finished. I don't recall any preliminary sketches or anything. I'm all for a surprise, and seeing the finished product, instead of sneaks. In this case, at least.

AYE VERILY! I would rather see the All Father up for sale on day then sneaked to death!

wktf
04-09-2006, 11:56 PM
wktf the resident Silver Age Sage chimes in. Excellent. What do you say, Joe? I have a feeling (or maybe it's more of a hope) that Randy will just put the Odin bust up for sale one day. That would be fun, and like old times. We haven't seen any Odin sneaks yet, correct? RB has simply written that Odin is about 90% finished. I don't recall any preliminary sketches or anything. I'm all for a surprise, and seeing the finished product, instead of sneaks. In this case, at least.
I agree completely. One day the forum will be buzzing over the "Odin Bust on BD's Site" thread and there it will be, in all it's splendor and glory. The power and pageantry that is the All-Wise. In whatever blend of styles (and how can you go wrong with Kirby, Buscema and Simonson from which to chose) the Odin bust will beam with regal glory and greatness.

So say we all! :buttrock:

madjazz
04-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Were the goats not given to Thor by Odin..? Werent they his to begin with...wait, am I getting them confused with the 2 wolves?

Mixing up the goats with the wolves? Sounds like you are at an al-Qaida orgy. :laugh:

wktf
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
'Nuff said.
Aye, verily. Now we say thee, Randy, show us the goods!!! :buttrock:

wktf
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
This thread deserves a....

BUMP!

http://underworld.fortunecity.com/blood/201/marvel/odin001.JPG

boobhound
04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Randy, we need pics of th All Father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

riderV3
04-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Has to have Odin in collection!!!!!!! we just can never get enough of Asgradian!! Make our Thor a daddy, or he'll feel lonely! :rolleyes2

wktf
04-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Dana, check post #138 again. That alright?

Primal
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Still a no-show for me, I don't know why. But don't worry about it, good sir.

By the way, that image of Odin in that post that is deleted - that was quite nice.Fortunecity images are no good for direct linking.
Here it is. :buttrock:
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/7683/odin0012pe.jpg

Primal
04-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Glorious! Thanks Primal!No problem proud Dana. :buttrock:

wktf
04-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Primal. I did a search under Google Images. That's how I found that one.

riderV3
04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
be honest....Odin will look much better without eyepatch.. :banghead:
eyepatch is a kind of stereo type symbol for bad guys...Odin shouln't have one... :inquisiti :spam: any one agree?

firestorm
04-11-2006, 09:25 AM
eyepatch is a kind of stereo type symbol for bad guys...Odin shouln't have one... :inquisiti :spam: any one agree?
NO eyepatch... and he should be outfitted in Kirby-drawn style... that's when he looked awesomely impressive and conveyed that sense of true POWER... a classic character should have that classic look...

madjazz
04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Eyepatch for sure. Look at your bust collection as a whole. Without the eyepatch, Odin does not stand out. WIth an eyepatch, he becomes a unique piece in your bust collection.

Silver Surfer
04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
So if Odin is Thor's father, who is Thor's mother?

wktf
04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I completely disagree. His one eye is part of his character and his sacrificing of his eye was paramount to his attaining the wisdom that makes him the All-Wise. It's part of his character and who he is.

Jesse321
04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
I completely disagree. His one eye is part of his character and his sacrificing of his eye was paramount to his attaining the wisdom that makes him the All-Wise. It's part of his character and who he is.Agreed 100%

wktf
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
So if Odin is Thor's father, who is Thor's mother?
And while Jord/Gaea is his "natural" mother, Frigga, Odin's wife, is his step mother and the one of the two for whom Thor feels the greatest parental love along with Odin. He's even referred to Frigga as "mother" on several occasions.

And, for a little Asgardian trivia, Frigga is after whom the day Friday was named, just as Thursday was for Thor, Wednesday was for Odin and Tuesday was for Tyre, the Asgardian god of war. The norse gods are part of our daily lives, whether we know it or not!

JadeGiant
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I completely disagree. His one eye is part of his character and his sacrificing of his eye was paramount to his attaining the wisdom that makes him the All-Wise. It's part of his character and who he is.

Patch for sure!

rychehitman
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Perhaps another industry first could be brought to us by Bowen Designs!

The Change-O-Patch!

Think of the Logan, and Nick Fury pieces we could have!

JadeGiant
04-11-2006, 11:10 AM

The Change-O-Patch!

just do COH ... one with patch and one without ... good idea Ryche!

Inception
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM

The Change-O-Patch!

:laugh: :laugh:

wktf
04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice, wktf.

By the way, in most of my readings of the myths, it's Freya who provided the name for Friday, not Frigga (Fricka). There's a bit of contention regarding the duties of both goddesses, and some scholars believe that the two goddesses were originally one.
Intersting. From what I've read I've always interchanged Freya with Frigga, as Wodin with Odin or Herakles with Hercules. I actually wasn't aware that they may have been two separate godesses.

masters of evil
04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Stockier , not all that taller

wktf
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I think stockier AND taller.

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3809

stormshadow75x
04-11-2006, 12:41 PM
He definitely needs a patch & some kind of fur tunic or cape, armor & he's got to be big.... he should have an imposing helmut something similar to Loki

I hope Randy takes a bit from the differnet styles.... can't wait to see th final product

No arms would be just fine

Daredevil
04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Make this happen soon, Randy!

wktf
12-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Randy, any updates on this most expected of all busts?

buchieboy
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
whatever you sculpt randy, design it in a way wherein it can be put between beta ray bill and battle armor thor =)

Caniac78
12-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Randy thank you so much for this odin we are about to receive.

dana p said

The raven(s) and eyepatch are must-haves! And Simonson used a great Kirbyesque helmet/headpiece, so an mostly-Simonson-inspired Odin would perfectly complement the BAT and BRB busts.

dana is right on.

add the world tree as the base and a one armed odin holding his scepter of power,

A must have, stocky but large.

I really wish you would make a full size sitting on his throne

Sambofred
12-12-2006, 02:47 AM
I really wish you would make a full size sitting on his throne[/QUOTE]

I agree, a full size statue on a throne would be great; followed up over time by the 'Warriors Three' or the like to make something of a court scene. But to the other point.

I like the Romita Jr. Odin the best. When the series was relaunched and Odin was captured and beat down there was a panel that had Odin looking at his captures with grim determination in his eye. That is what would sell me on the bust. Scepters and all the extras, sure, cool. But the look. Odin is all about that look. Capture that look and you capture the feel of that character.

Well, thats my two cents. I will scan and send in that panel. Thanks for asking the question.

rychehitman
12-12-2006, 03:52 AM
updates would be nice!

spider-man
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
this was like ten years ago wasn't it?

pmpknface
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I thought the last update we had was that he was into it and then had to start over. I know that was somwheat the case with the Scorpion mb, but I thought it was the same w/ this one too. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong....

VaultMan
12-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Dana P. posted some great pics from the Kirby era that were ideal for the MB. If push comes to shove, the pic in the OHOTMU isnt too bad. Just add the bird.

wktf
12-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I thought the last update we had was that he was into it and then had to start over. I know that was somwheat the case with the Scorpion mb, but I thought it was the same w/ this one too. :(

You're not wrong. We're all just wondering what's happened since that statement from Randy. :thumbs2:

phnx75
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Not wrong, I think what he said (paraphrasing) was that he got frustrated at one point and threw the bust and was starting over.

JadeGiant
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Odin on throne would be an awesome display for sure ... with the new Thor next to him would be amazing.

Sniper
12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Odin on throne would be an awesome display for sure ... with the new Thor next to him would be amazing.

that is the only way I would buy an Odin full size. THis may be a way to market the sculpt to those who are not as interested in the character

JadeGiant
12-12-2006, 12:48 PM
that is the only way I would buy an Odin full size. THis may be a way to market the sculpt to those who are not as interested in the character

agreed - someone needs to get this done:thumbs2:

VaultMan
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM

I agree...cant you just envision these pieces together...? Mindblowing...

JadeGiant
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree...cant you just envision these pieces together...? Mindblowing...

we are talking "must-buy" if this comes out!

rychehitman
12-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Lets get the MB out first, then worry about the FS! A Massive mb is what I am hoping for!

wktf
12-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Lets get the MB out first, then worry about the FS! A Massive mb is what I am hoping for!

Me too! But not so massive that it won't fit on a riser on my shelf!

Makkari1
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM

With everyone giving their 2 cents about how Odin should look I guess I'll give mine. But opinions are like armpits, everyone has at least 2 and they both stink. Mine are as follows:

1.) Odin is 2"-3" taller than Thor and definitely wider.

2.) Odin has so many costumes, its hard to say which one was drawn the most. You would probably do well to make a synthesis of them all.

3.) I am not a big fan of MB's anyway, but if you had to do one, then it should have arms at a minimum. It appears that most posters on this board who like MB's are purist and want a no arm Odin. Why not offer a variant with arms and one without? Either way the fans win.

4.) The ravens on the shoulders is a good idea as well as him holding the scepter of power .

Randy I hope you that you give Beta Ray Bill, Odin, The Destroyer & Loki the full size treament. Especially The Destroyer which, IMO, is the sleeper piece of the year, who knew it would turn out so well. :D Other Asgardians that should have at least a MB are The Enchantress, Sif, and the Warriors Three, but hey thats just my opinion:D

JadeGiant
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM

Bah, bring on the FS - that would be my preference:thumbs2:

mb would be cool also but the FS would be over-the-top awesome:buttrock:

SirConor
12-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm excited about Odin, but I would have been more excited if he was armless. He IMO is one of the perfect pieces that Randy could have gone back to the glory days of phase 1 busts.

I understand wanting the scepter, but that could have been the base (like Mjolnir being Thor's base in the ARMLESS thor bust!)

pablocruze
12-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Bah, bring on the FS - that would be my preference:thumbs2:

mb would be cool also but the FS would be over-the-top awesome:buttrock:

I would prefer BOTH!!!! :thumbs2:

rychehitman
12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Sad to say, I really dont see a FS anytime soon though....but the mb is a must!

Zemo55
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah & yippie -- Odin! Must have the eye patch and Huginn and Muninn on his shoulders! No arms, perfect. He's bulkier than Thor and a hair taller. Mix of Kirby and Simonson would be great. Yggdrasill worked into the based could really be something. Randy, you are a god!

GoldNova
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
No arms would be best. Typically gets a more regal result, which would suit Odin.

My preference is for no eyepatch. But it doesn't matter either way.

Ravens are fine. But preferably on the base. Might make the bust look too cluttered if they're on his shoulder.

I have no preference for style. Your correct in noting he always seems to look different. But please remember that some artists work do not translate well into busts. (So no Kirby art please, no matter how some of them beg for it.) The look should be Norse, regal, commanding and realistic. I hear a lot of call for the Simonson look. But even this leaves me wondering as to how realistic that would look. (Buscema's art always rocks.) I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Looking forward to him, whatever you decide. (As long as it's not an exclusive!)

Mastermold
12-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Randy posted a while back that he wasn't happy with how it was coming and just smashed the whole thing and started over, so obviously it's important to him that it's done well and I'm sure we'll be very pleased with the finished product. :D

HoldyourfireAl
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
I think he should be a FS Silver Centurian Iron Man, but that's me.... ;-p

The Fog
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Who?, I'd rather see a Grim Reaper FS.

1logan
12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I have been reading comics for 28 years! I was never a big Asguardian fan, but would definitely buy Odin. I think he needs the patch.....but I have always pictured him being massive like the size of the Sasquatch bust(which should have been bigger). Preferably Gold and Blue armor.

I can see how this one could stump Randy. My thing though is if Randy ever got to do Sif, Heimdall, Balder, or the Warriors 3 they would probably all have weapons in hand and here we would have a new Thor with hammer in hand and now Odin won't have arms at all.....strange. I can see Loki without them, although it would have helped express his devious side, and Enchantress MUST have arms. I didn't think Odin would need the arms, but now I kinda do.

My 2 cents.

MyOldFriendMrMcCraig
12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
http://www.immortalthor.net/thor-353.jpg

I always loved this cover, so a minibust/FS based roughly on that pose and look (if FS, please feel free to give him pants), that would be cool. Particularly with gold tinted sorcery spheres around the hands...

Mastermold
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.immortalthor.net/thor-353.jpg

I always loved this cover, so a minibust/FS based roughly on that pose and look (if FS, please feel free to give him pants), that would be cool. Particularly with gold tinted sorcery spheres around the hands...

I think both hands coming forward like that would look silly. I'd want to see Odin in a more natural pose.

King Kong
12-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I think both hands coming forward like that would look silly. I'd want to see Odin in a more natural pose.

Odin should be made either in Kirby's or Buscema version,
Walt Simonson version with all due respect Sucks.

Caniac78
12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I really think it needs at least one arm holding the scepter of power. Armless will look to much like a folding arms phase 1. A blend of styles would be best leaning towards the simonson era. Kirby to cartoony

Picture the new THOR FS next to ODIN on the throne FS, and a third piece of LOKI for the other side whispering in odins ear of standin against a pillar spying.

FS all the asgardians and their foes.

MyOldFriendMrMcCraig
12-13-2006, 12:57 AM
FS all the asgardians and their foes.

Yes! Well, no, maybe not ALL of them...but definitely Odin, Loki, BRB, Enchantress, Executioner, Valkyrie, Sif, and a Deluxe Surtur...and I wouldn't be averse to the Warrior's Three, the Destroyer, Balder, Ulik, Karnilla, and Lorelei, either...and Hercules (although I like the HH version), Zeus, and Ares...and maybe Pluto...and the Eternals, can't forget about them, the Celestial Saga? Awesome Thor era, so Sersi, Thena, Ikaris, Karkas, Kro, Deluxe Celestial(s)...but I guess if ALL of them were made, that would mean all the ones I need would be made, therefore YES FS ALL of them!

Makkari1
12-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes! Well, no, maybe not ALL of them...but definitely Odin, Loki, BRB, Enchantress, Executioner, Valkyrie, Sif, and a Deluxe Surtur...and I wouldn't be averse to the Warrior's Three, the Destroyer, Balder, Ulik, Karnilla, and Lorelei, either...and Hercules (although I like the HH version), Zeus, and Ares...and maybe Pluto...and the Eternals, can't forget about them, the Celestial Saga? Awesome Thor era, so Sersi, Thena, Ikaris, Karkas, Kro, Deluxe Celestial(s)...but I guess if ALL of them were made, that would mean all the ones I need would be made, therefore YES FS ALL of them!

Yes I agree do some Eternals:)

blue_rogue
12-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Bowen Phase IV should offer an Asgardian MB every other month, and a full size every six months!

:buttrock: