PDA

View Full Version : Recommended games for XBOX 360?

animatedUKfan
01-01-2008, 08:35 AM
My daughter had an Xbox 360 for Christmas.
She likes first person shooters, so we got her Halo 3 (which she thought was just OK, not as good as Halo 1) and Blacksite which she has just finished and really enjoyed.
Can anyone suggest another game in the same vein (she wants to spend some of her Christmas money)?
I thought Call of Duty 4, but she has played that on someone's PS3 and wasn't keen - a little too realistic - she prefers to shoot lumps out of aliens or zombies!

tuv1305
01-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Never tried Blacksite, but she'd probably get a kick out of Gears of War

here's a link to check it out...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5065285

You didn't say how old she is, so I don't know if you'd consider Gears wrong for her or not.

goodydog12
01-01-2008, 10:55 AM

You didn't say how old she is, so I don't know if you'd consider Gears wrong for her or not.

Gears is the best game on the 360. Not for youngins though.

cougartrace
01-01-2008, 10:57 AM
The Cars Racing Game (Vader National?) is very good and it's based off of the PIXAR movie cars so its good family game.

animatedUKfan
01-01-2008, 02:08 PM

She's over 18; this sounds her kind of game.
Sounds very similar to Blacksite and worth a look, thanks.

The Cars Racing Game (Vader National?) is very good and it's based off of the PIXAR movie cars so its good family game.

Still room for good family games though, especially if multiplayer.

AsOneDead
01-01-2008, 09:52 PM
You can't go wrong with gears of war.

Ink
01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
gears of war

DSET
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Half Life Orange box you get 4 single player games in one
Half Life 2, HL2 Episode 1 and 2 plus portal
also if you have Live you can play Team fortress 2.

By far the most value you can get for youre money in any game.

The story is awesome and much more than you would usually get in any shooter, they are shooting aliens. This game is MUCh better single player than any Halo capmaign mode (thats right I said it).
HL2 got GOTY from various review sites the year it launched, IMHO still the best FPS single player game period.

logan25
01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
The Darkness is one of the best first person shooters ive played in a while and for a third person you cant go wrong with gears of war

glassdancer
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
HALO!!!!!

HALO 2!!!!!!

HALO 3!!!!!!

Guitar Hero!!!!!!

Sgt Taz
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Another vote for Gears of war still being the best game on 360 :buttrock:

Orange box is indeed one of the best deals, great games :thumbs2:

animatedUKfan
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all these suggestions guys, certainly will be getting Gears of War and probably Orange Box.

She has seen a preview/trailer for Darkness and fancies that game too.

She got Halo 3 for Christmas (after having played 1 & 2 on the original X-box) and, although what I saw of it looked fantastic, she didn't like it as much as the first (which she loved and kept going back to for ages). She finished it in a few days of on/off play and probably won't play it again.

Is that typical? Is it just the online play that makes it such a hit?

Sgt Taz
01-02-2008, 06:50 PM
The multiplayer is definately where it's at but the singleplayer is also very much worth it. You will not beat it on your own on legendary.

animatedUKfan
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
She always plays on 'normal', she says she:
"doesn't like it to be too difficult but wants it to entertain her without being too easy."
That's girls for ya.

animatedUKfan
01-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks to all who suggested Gears of War - I've been watching her play (she must be about half way through) and she loves it. A good game to watch too!

:thumbs2:

pdashnut12
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
hows that kane and lynch game?

animatedUKfan
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Haven't seen that one, read a couple of fair to good reviews though..

HelloKinky
01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Darkness is a really cool game and it has multiplayer as well. Kane and Lynch sucked bad. Also Assassin's Creed is on it and that is pretty fun as well.

Sgt Taz
01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
hows that kane and lynch game?Promising title that turned out realy bad or so I have been told.

Haven't seen that one, read a couple of fair to good reviews though..I've read a couple of medium to bad reviews :confused2

CocoPUFF
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
GEARS of WHAT? its good, but not near as good as...CALL OF DUTY 4!! ALL THE WAY! The best shooter on XBOX 360 by far!!! Best mutiplayer online by far as well.

Rainbow six Vegas is also good..a close second...I haven't played Gears of what? in over a year.

Sgt Taz
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
While Cod4 is also very good, I still prefer Gears for a number of reasons. Then again, I dont know how well you can or should compare a fps with a 3rd person shooter.

My only gripe with Cod4 is while it has amazing graphs, there are too few levels showing them off, or too much dark indoor levels not showing off the graphs - take your pick :)

Phart007
01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I can't believe no-one has recommended BioShock.

Call of Duty 4 is awesome and i love it, but you can't own a 360 without BioShock in your collection.

Stunning game :buttrock:

Dead Rising is also highly recommended if you like a Resident Evil type of game.

thecallahan
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
The one thing I'll give GoW over CoD4 is cover fire. You can't hide behind something and peak out or over it to fire.

Bioshock was a great game but I returned it after I beat it. It's not a great game for repeat value (it was beyond awesome that first playthrough though).

I also back the earlier recommendations for the Orange Box, HL2 is an awesome, awesome game.

Phart007
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I think the cover system is a required element now in fps.

It made Rainbox Six Vegas a joy to play. :buttrock:

Sgt Taz
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Bioshock was a great game but I returned it after I beat it. It's not a great game for repeat value (it was beyond awesome that first playthrough though).X2

Sgt Taz
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the cover system is a required element now in fps.

It made Rainbox Six Vegas a joy to play. :buttrock:I've been saying that ever since RBSV showed how it's done. Since then I'm amazed every time I see a fps'er released that doesnt include the cover system :thumbsdow

thecallahan
01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I can understand some games that don't. Like Halo for instance, it's not based on reality, it's all about crazy antics, jumping and running so I can see it not having that. A game based in reality as much as CoD4 it's a shame they don't have it in there. Playing it on the hardest difficulty is mind bendingly hard.

Now, I know GoW had the cover system and it's far from reality but that was also the major selling point for the game itself.

CocoPUFF
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I've been saying that ever since RBSV showed how it's done. Since then I'm amazed every time I see a fps'er released that doesnt include the cover system :thumbsdow

Can't wait for the second installment of RSV due out this year!:buttrock:

Sgt Taz
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Can't wait for the second installment of RSV due out this year!:buttrock:The campaign is fully coop and includes the digimask function :thumbs2:

Ink
01-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, I can understand some games that don't. Like Halo for instance, it's not based on reality, it's all about crazy antics, jumping and running so I can see it not having that. A game based in reality as much as CoD4 it's a shame they don't have it in there. Playing it on the hardest difficulty is mind bendingly hard.

Now, I know GoW had the cover system and it's far from reality but that was also the major selling point for the game itself.

cause you need it in the insane difficulty....trust me:redface:

thecallahan
01-15-2008, 04:16 PM
cause you need it in the insane difficulty....trust me:redface:

Gears of War on Insane isn't has hard as Cod4 on it's hardest difficulty.

CocoPUFF
01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
The campaign is fully coop and includes the digimask function :thumbs2:

oh, baby!:buttrock: THATS what I'm talkin' about!

Davidian
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Gears of War is bad ass. COD4 looks bad ass too. As a fan of the Darkness, I'll be getting that too. How is it bros? I've heard it was good, but that's about it. Can someone who has this game enlighten me?

CocoPUFF
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Gears of War is bad ass. COD4 looks bad ass too. As a fan of the Darkness, I'll be getting that too. How is it bros? I've heard it was good, but that's about it. Can someone who has this game enlighten me?

COD4 is simply awesome

Boerboel
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Bioshock is a great game and you should be able to get it used somewhere at a reasonable price. With no multiplayer it doesn't have a whole lot of re-play to it. I went through it on the level below the hardest one and part way on the hardest one, but once I got cod4 I pretty much only play that now. Kane and Lynch was really bad!!!

HelloKinky
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM

Darkness looks amazing and is a great fun shooter! They changed it up a bit from the actual story and plays more like an actual movie. It's very good, definitely worth getting!

jory REX
01-19-2008, 06:21 AM
SHADOWRUN :buttrock:

hulkpitt
01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Halo 3 is the best on line game I have ever played, get her to go live now she has finished the campaign mode, it knocks spots of Gears of War and she can shoot her friends (virtually).

animatedUKfan
01-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Halo 3 is the best on line game I have ever played, get her to go live now she has finished the campaign mode, it knocks spots of Gears of War and she can shoot her friends (virtually).

Haven't connected for online gaming yet, she said she wasn't bothered about online when she got the 360, but I'm sure she will eventually.

She's playing Perfect Dark at present, haven't played it myself but looks good.

k9ziggy
01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Bioshock is a definite. Very cool and creepy, lots of replay value. Overall, an excellent game.