PDA

View Full Version : Collector's turned sculptor's? Thanks Villafane & Zkulptor

Kdawg59
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
We all love statues, garage kits, action figures...

I am curious as to how many of you out there have turned your passion for collecting this stuff into working on your own sculptures as the next level?

I know I have. I graduated college with a fine arts degree, part of which entailed 3-D sculpture. Back then I hated it... really bad. There was nothing I wanted to really work on that my professor and I saw eye to eye on. My passion was illustration.

I went back to school and went the path of Computer Design and now I do websites, illustration, print, interactive demo cd, a little 3dMax. I have wanted to try my hand at sculpting for awhile (like about 4 years) but have never really had the means, the knowledge, or the tutelage to do so.

The cool thing is this... I have connected with a few people through the Bowen Forum and in actuality 2 of the people that have helped me get my start. Ray Villafane and Zkulptor. I am the designer for Ray's site and will be for Zkulptor and through working for them, they have been providing me with tips and suggestions. These guys are top notch and have been a great resource. Randy said once that he hired people with talent, but more importantly great attitude. These two have both in spades. Who knows how my first sculpt will turn out but I am gonna give it my best for sure. Here is a pic of my first armature as well as the pose I am planning on. (no it won't be Psylocke, but it will be a Marvel female). Thanks again to Ray and Z. I will be posting more progress shots as I have them. stay tuned.

http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/step2.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/psylocke.jpg

I wanna hear your stories about this if you have them, or if not perhaps a tale about something else that this hobby of collecting has fueled in you.

Thanks for "listening"

~Dawg

Zurbaran1
08-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Dawg, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded. And if you sculpt like you web design, who knows. maybe Randy will be hiring you. I hope you keep us up to date on your scupting effort, maybe progress shots. We can start up a new thread, "Birth of a Sculptor"
Man, I wish I had some artisitic talent (shut up hobbit).

Zurbaran1
08-27-2004, 10:04 AM
By the way, this hobby has fueled in me the need to go broke. But I've been meeting a lot of cool people along the way. And then there's CK13 and the Hobbit.

Kdawg59
08-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks Zurb. I appreciate the kind words. I will definitely post updates to this journey. I pray it doesn't suck, but anyone who knows me will tell you I'm too stubborn to let it.

It is my hope that more people have similar stories to share.

Kdawg59
08-27-2004, 10:11 AM
By the way, this hobby has fueled in me the need to go broke. But I've been meeting a lot of cool people along the way. And then there's CK13 and the Hobbit.

Going broke is an understament...

Cool People... definitely!!! That hobbit's not such a bad pointy, eared lil' fella is he:)?

Danno
08-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey Dawg,

Very cool! Keep thoise in progress shots coming!!

Kdawg59
08-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks Danno yooDaMan:)

My progress has been halted until my super sculpey comes in the mail. Can you say Rookie?

ZKULPTOR
08-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi guys,
I am Happy to help out with any questions.....
By the way I am Glad KDawg is doing great.
I am working on something extra cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope Ican show something soon....I mean gotta ask tha man!!!

Zurbaran1
08-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi guys,
I am Happy to help out with any questions.....
By the way I am Glad KDawg is doing great.
I am working on something extra cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope Ican show something soon....I mean gotta ask tha man!!!

You are the man! So talk to yourself :)

Kdawg59
08-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Zen Master Z conferring with Master Yoda...

Stay tuned y'all... Sculpey's arrived and I begin my WIP tonight...

Zurbaran1
08-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Zen Master Z conferring with Master Yoda...

Stay tuned y'all... Sculpey's arrived and I begin my WIP tonight...

So I guess we can expect some images tomorrow :D

Sniper
08-31-2004, 04:58 PM
these guys are truly talented.

Kdawg59
08-31-2004, 05:29 PM
So I guess we can expect some images tomorrow :D

If not tomorrow Zurb... I will have some this week...

yorick
08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Good luck Kdawg--I have to admit I'm a bit envious. I too for awhile have been wanting to try my hand at sculpting in the superhero vein, but unfortunately time does not allow, hopefully someday (and who knows now you may not have to buy anymore sculpts, just make your own)

DFury
08-31-2004, 06:59 PM
This right here is why we have this place to call our own!!
:)
ya all our tops in my book.. well except for you know who lol

df

Kdawg59
09-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Keep in mind how far I have to go, but here are a couple of shots from my start last night.

I was more or less trying to define the oevrall shape of the torso. More to come. I hope you like. Like I said, I have a long way to go, but I am happy with my start. It's a lot of fun so far... :buttrock:

http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot.jpghttp://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot2.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot3.jpg

Zurbaran1
09-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Awesome kdawg. It's going to be fun watching this piece develop. Keep it up! I think I see Villafane and Zkulptor sweating :laugh:

Kdawg59
09-01-2004, 09:14 AM
I think I see Villafane and Zkulptor sweating :laugh:

Nah Zurb that's just me sweating cuz I feel like I don't know what the heck I'm doing:)

silverageguy
09-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Looks great, Kdawg.
I enjoy seeing the progress pics.

Can't wait to see the final product!

Kdawg59
09-03-2004, 09:29 AM
More progress shots...

well I'm roughly 6-7 hours into this now and I have shaped, sliced it off, reshaped, sliced it off again, and finally I am starting to see something I like.

Although she's looking voluptuous, I am fairly happy with how it's coming for my first effort. I am finding as I get into the Jim Lee pose that it has presented a few issues but I'm trying to work through them.

You know that old Joke about if Barbie were reall she would be like 6 feet tall with double D's and a 25 inch waist. BARBIE has got nothing on a Jim Lee drawing:)

Seriously though, this is a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy. As this thing starts to look more and more like a super hero I get excited that it's working so far. Not without some frustration, but at least I haven't scrapped it yet.

I also started a thread over at the clubhouse if interested... Same pics but over there it is more of a positive, sculptor on sculptor critique...

Sculpting with the Shiflett Bros. (http://theclubhouse1.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71654#71654)

http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot5.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot6.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot7.jpg

Zurbaran1
09-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Awesome dawg, just awesome. I like watching this piece progress and getting your commentary along the way. Put me down for one.

Just be careful and don't let nbr3 anywhere near it. The horny hobbit will maul it and you'll be back to square one. :D

Kdawg59
09-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Put me down for one.

Just be careful and don't let nbr3 anywhere near it. The horny hobbit will maul it and you'll be back to square one. :D

Zurb... when I learn how to mast a cast or have someone do it for me, I would be happy to send one to ya. (course that's assuming that it won't suck when it's done)

I am showing at lot more pics than you normally see on a WIP, but I am doing that to kinda document the whole thing and get inside what a sculptor goes through. I am still new at this so I am discovering a great many things, so it's fun to share...

Speaking on the Horny Hobbit... haven't seen much of him on the board this week. I know he's out there though...

Kdawg59
09-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Well I am off to carve some more y'all. I am thinking I am still not convinced with the chest yet so there will be more revisions to show hopefully after the long weekend. Gotta not let it get me down that I am learning... want it to be perfect on the first try.

More to come.

bat_collector
09-03-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm impressed. Illustrator, graphic artist, impending sociopath with a hatred for quarterbacks. What can't you do? :D

Seriously, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. Four year olds make fun of my drawings (not kidding). I wish I could draw.

My re-introduction in the world of comics, though, has gotten me to want to write one, even if for myself. My dream is to write. I have an idea in my head right now I want to get down on paper.

Look forward to more of your shots.

Kdawg59
09-03-2004, 05:49 PM
You are too kind Bat, you too Yoda (Zurb the Great)... I am just trying it out to see if there is anything there at all. I am an artist, make no mistake, I just have never tried sculpting in this medium before. I have spent years collecting these statues, and I thought... hmm I wonder if I could do that?

The answer is I don't completely know yet but I got a fire in me to find out.

If you find yourself wanting to write something man, I say go for it. Submit it to Marvel, DC, Top Cow, Image, do it... keep doing it if you love to, you won't regret it for a second. In fact write something and post it here for our entertainment. Why not???

I think I just had a breakthrough on the torso of this sucker. Tony Cipriano, and Zkulptor had a couple of tips for me and sure enough thanks to their experience they were right. It was about the coolest thing being on the Bowen forum seeing Villafane's Wolvie. Because of that I hounded Ray and made him let me design his website. In turn he introduced me to Tony Cipriano (who has a buttload of awesome stuff... including his incredible BATMAN black and white) and the Z saw I did Ray's site too and then we hooked up. Because of these guys and their advice and help I figured I would try this. It's a fever and being a creative person, It is a new outlet.

No digital cam, but I will post more shots asap.

bat_collector
09-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I really liked the design of it. Great job, especially with all the lightning going on.

I'm really going to write down some things this weekend. A few months ago I was going to play some GURPS with some friends of mine and we all designed characters, but nothing became of it. I had figured out an interesting scenario for all our characters and thought it would be a good introduction story for a comic book or like medium.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to write it, just to see what I could do.

CKinSD
09-03-2004, 06:02 PM
looking good kdawg. keep it up

Kdawg59
09-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks CK

giro
09-03-2004, 06:59 PM
this is why this site is great , getting to see work by so many other talented :buttrock: people and learning the process it takes to take on this kind of work , keep up the good work dawg i'll be watching , great stuff

Ray Villafane
09-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey Keith,
That is coming out very nice. Keep at it no matter how many "redos" of an area you encounter....that is just as normal as a 2-D artist using an eraser once in awhile.

I still need to send you those female anatomy pictures. They may help as it shows and explains what is underneath the form of the drawing you are going off of, plus allows you to indicate the subtle contours that may be absent from the original 2-D artwork but may look good if applied to the 3-D version.

Here are a couple of pics of what I mean. It helps to build the character up at times muscle by muscle this way limbs and stuff connect correctly. You can exaggerate and adjust the size of the muscle groups to match the 2-D's artist style. After you build it you then can smooth out the muscle groups so that they blend....sort of like smearing a layer of skin across it. I'll e-mail you more soon. I meant to yesterday but been busy. Busy is good though, school starts next week so I can put as big of a dent in this sculpture before work starts up.
Good luck. This is a GREAT START , especially considering it is your first attempt.
http://villafanestudios.com/IMG_8146.jpg
http://villafanestudios.com/IMG_8147.jpg
I'll send more pictures if you find these useful.

hellspawn77
09-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Ray your avatar is really funny! :D

I found that using female fitness magazines can help as well: make sure you use a lot of reference when you are sculpting and not trying to do it from memory. This was something I learned way back in the day and now I have binders full of pics even on just one chracter.

You can never have to much reference!

I think she's looking really good though and I can see you are understanding the anatomy and sub structures. All it takes is practice... I still screw up!

A great book I recomend to everyone is "Modelling the figure in Clay" by Bruno Lucchesi. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0823030962/qid=1094480999/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl14/104-8562500-4247966?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Its a step by step book which doubles as an anatomy guide. Seriously evertime someone pics it up they thanks me a hundred times. its like having a master sculptor with you all the time! ;)

Keep up the great work- can't wait to see her done :)

Claudio

Kdawg59
09-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys... I just did some more baking and sanding and yes... resculpting:)

(Claudio... I do have that book. It is wonderful)

I am starting to see a super hero there somewhere however...
I have to start the head and the arms. I have been dreading that part but I have no choice now as they will help me "see" the sculpt better.

I have experienced my first sculpey crack, but it was easy to fix with a little more sculpey and some super glue.

I should be able to throw some more WIP shots on here in the morning. I've made a few rookie mistakes no doubt gang, but I will tell you this much... No mistake, or lesson I have learned from this has given me a reason to stop yet. This is a lot of fun and I can only get better. That having been said be on the lookout in the morning.

CKinSD
09-08-2004, 06:33 PM
looking forward to the latest pics. keep on striving man.

bat_collector
09-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm sure many will look forward to it.

giro
09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Awsome Can't Wait

Kdawg59
09-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Well gang here is the latest rev of pics from my sculpt.

At this point in the game it could be anyone female in the Marvel U without a head.

Like I said, I still have much to do, but I think you will agree that at least it is looking like something beyond a lump.

Enjoy...

http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot8.jpghttp://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot9.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot91.jpg
http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/boot92.jpg

Zurbaran1
09-09-2004, 09:05 AM
kdawg: That is coming along very nicely! I think you're going to have one very nice sculpt for your first attempt. Keep the updates coming

Kdawg59
09-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Yoda... I hope so.

bat_collector
09-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Nice, can't wait to see more.

CKinSD
09-09-2004, 10:41 AM
that is looking very nice. I like the neck musculature. keep it up for a first sculpt this is shaping up really nicely.

giro
09-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnn Good Job So Far

hellspawn77
09-10-2004, 11:37 PM
Looking good man!

I wish my first atempt had looked half as good... :bawling:

Claudio

JM28Cardiff
09-11-2004, 02:41 AM
Looks excellent. I especially like the (ahem) chest area! Also like the legs and backside. I like the way there are suggestions of muscle beneath the surface, but it still looks feminine

shiflettbrothers
09-12-2004, 02:03 PM
kdawg

betsy braddock! was'nt that psylocke's name. jim lee is great stuff to go from. so is marc silvestri.
you'll always remember the first one. enjoy it. it only gets harder. I mean funner. try not to sleep under the sculpt , its bad luck
thanks for your comments about the forum

j

C. Bormann
09-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Kdawg -

It really is coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Wow I hadn't been paying attention for a few days to this thread. Thank you all, really. I had been very frustrated with this piece lately and I even decided to get rolling on another one so I could work on it while I was "figuring out" Ms. Natchios.

You guys have helped me decide to push on no matter what. I still am going to start on a new one too, but that's cool it's just more fun for me to have two going at the same time.

Here's a rough (very rough) sketch of the pose I am going to do. As for who it is going to be... he's mean and he's green...

http://www.pwb.com/acom_images/keithtest/hulk.jpg

Zurbaran1
09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
kdawg: You trying to make my head explode? That's an awesome sketch.

Your #1 fan and Quarterback hater.

giro
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
awsome that would look great got make him big i'd say like 13 to 14 inches tall massive HULK

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
kdawg: You trying to make my head explode? That's an awesome sketch.

Your #1 fan and Quarterback hater.

Zurb you have no idea how excited I am that football is back in swing... The Lions coming off of an almost 4 year long road losing streak made my week. I watched football all day and life was good. The Dallas game, the lions, pre-game, post game... QB's getting knocked down by angry defensive linemen... ahhh the serenity:)

Don't explode on me yet my friend:) we've got art to create!!! working on my armature for this monster tonight during...yep you guessed it... Monday Night Football:)

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
awsome that would look great got make him big i'd say like 13 to 14 inches tall massive HULK

You are correct Giro... This fella is gonna measure in at 13.5 inches before he is in his pose. The best thing is, believe it or not, I have learned so much on the other one that I can't wait to try this one. It isn't as scary to me.

The biggest thing is that it's a male ( a huge massive exagerated male) which is more forgiving than a female. (to silicone or not to silicone). I am amped for the Jade giant. The goal on this one is to see the improvement from the first one and dazzle y'all...

Zurbaran1
09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Zurb you have no idea how excited I am that football is back in swing... The Lions coming off of an almost 4 year long road losing streak made my week. I watched football all day and life was good. The Dallas game, the lions, pre-game, post game... QB's getting knocked down by angry defensive linemen... ahhh the serenity:)

Don't explode on me yet my friend:) we've got art to create!!! working on my armature for this monster tonight during...yep you guessed it... Monday Night Football:)

So, it looks like we may see you best work on Saturday (College) Sunday and Monday night. Did you see the hit Elie Manning took during the Giants game. That must have brought tears to your eyes :eplus2:

bat_collector
09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Man, I'm jealous. I can draw worth a lick. :bawling:

Seriously, though, I have enjoyed seeing your work. It has inspired me to go on with my own "work."

Also, I loved the Cowboys game. I hope they lose every game this year. :thumbs2:

Oh, and J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I can probably sum Eli's crumple best with a quote from the movie "the Program" when asked what Alvin's assignment was, he responded...

"Hit him so hard his girlfriend dies".

I saw that hit on sportscenter this morning before work.

Did you see the catch that Terry Glen made for a TD against Minnesota? I can appreciate offense too... it was pure poetry.

matter of fact... I think football warrants a thread in the general discussion area... see you there.

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Man, I'm jealous. I can draw worth a lick. :bawling:

Seriously, though, I have enjoyed seeing your work. It has inspired me to go on with my own "work."

Also, I loved the Cowboys game. I hope they lose every game this year. :thumbs2:

Oh, and J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!!

Keep on keepin' on with your "work" Bats... there are too few things in this life that keep us passionate. The biggest one of these is our ability to imagine!!!

DDura711
09-13-2004, 12:10 PM
I wish I had some sort of Art tallents. All I can do is design computer networks for large companies and setup overseas WAN communications. Oh and undo almost any virus. :bawling:

Kdawg59
09-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I wish I had some sort of Art tallents. All I can do is design computer networks for large companies and setup overseas WAN communications. Oh and undo almost any virus. :bawling:

Well then D my friend you are far more the man than this humble little BFA will ever be.

cblakey1
09-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Here's a piece I did years ago. When I have time, I will post some WIP's. Very amateur stuff, but what the heck. It's fun!

Without much formal training, I have a hard time w/ certain body parts- like hands and faces.

http://members.aol.com/cblakey001/scr1.jpg

Kdawg59
09-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Cool Blakey. This is why I started this thread in the first place. Wanted to see if anyone else wanted to try sculpting. Nothing may ever come from it but it's a heck of a lot of fun...