PDA

View Full Version : Mothra 3

moon_knight1971
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I was surfing on ebay & happened to notice that a Mothra 3 (live action) was released a few years ago but never made it out here to the US. Anybody seen this or have a copy of it?

scott
01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah but it's been a while. If I remember correctly it was 2 small Motras vs. a Small Gidra type monster. Or maybe it's something I'am mixing up. So many Toho films.

Doctor Pym
01-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I saw this in a Tokyo theater in '99. "Mothra 3" is easily the best of the 1990's Mothra films, though it still falls short of Toho's classics. It features the return of King Ghidorah (the huge, three-headed flying cosmic dragon, not the underwhelming, four-footed "Death Ghidorah" of the 1997 film)... after Mothra fails to defeat Ghidorah in the modern day, she time-travels back to the Cretaceous, where King Ghidorah (millions of years younger, of course, and slightly less powerful) is busy wiping out the dinosaurs, and she tries to defeat him there.

The tiny Mothra and tiny dragon that Scott remembers were also in this film (and in the 1997 and 1998 films), but they're not the focus.

Highlights include an all-too-brief onslaught against a modern Japanese city by Ghidorah, who looks more powerful and evil in this film than ever before.

Here's the poster (coincidentally, I just bought one of these on eBay, last month)...
http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/266/352/21/mothra3.jpg

As far as I know, this hasn't been released on American DVD. It's a shame, because it's worth it for the Ghidorah footage alone.

Perna
01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Aw man, I love the Godzilla, Mothra, etc movies. I'm slowly trying to build up the Toho collection of Godzilla movies.

JadeGiant
01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
I have nice Godzilla stuff ... just had to cut this out of the spending ... too many things to collect

moon_knight1971
01-20-2008, 12:53 AM
So it must have been released on DVD in Asia then right?

Perna
01-20-2008, 01:50 AM
I have nice Godzilla stuff ... just had to cut this out of the spending ... too many things to collect

Gimme gimme gimme!!!!

armitage
01-20-2008, 02:37 AM
I just rented the Godzilla Final Wars tonight and watched it.
Freakin' rocks!:buttrock:
I haven't seen Mothra vs Ghidora, but I'm sure it would be cool.

Perna
01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I just rented the Godzilla Final Wars tonight and watched it.
Freakin' rocks!:buttrock:
I haven't seen Mothra vs Ghidora, but I'm sure it would be cool.

I got Final Wars last year as soon as it was offered for sale. I loves my Godzilla!

armitage
01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I got Final Wars last year as soon as it was offered for sale. I loves my Godzilla!
I thought it was funny how fast he took out the American Godzilla, who by the way didn't stand a chance against the real deal.

Perna
01-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I thought it was funny how fast he took out the American Godzilla, who by the way didn't stand a chance against the real deal.

That was pure beauty. I didn't realize how many Godzilla movies there were.

Doctor Pym
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
"Godzilla: Final Wars" director Kitamura got a lot of things wrong, but he got at least one thing right: most Japanese fans hate the American Godzilla... and who can blame them? There's even a joke in the 2002 Japanese Godzilla film (a direct sequel to the 1954 original) where a Japanese military officer asks, "Didn't Godzilla attack New York a few years ago?" and another replies, "No, the Americans thought that was Godzilla, but it wasn't."

"Final Wars" had its problems, but it was great to see the real Godzilla deck Godzilla-In-Name-Only.

Doctor Pym
01-20-2008, 06:37 PM
So it must have been released on DVD in Asia then right?
Definitely. If you have a multi-region player, go for it. You can probably get it from the Japanese Amazon site.

Some guy on eBay is offering a (U.S. compatible?) DVD of the film right now (as "Rebirth of Mothra 3"), but it doesn't look like it's a professional release.

Doctor Pym
01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Isn't that the truth...

I'm finally in the home stretch to complete a collection of all the classic Toho monsters in 1/150 scale, having pre-ordered Kaiju Freaks' gigantic 1964-style King Ghidorah resin kit.

Here's the Ghidorah, plus Image's Rodan kit in the background...
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/Parker5901/Ghidrah_Asai_Attack2.jpg

And I've finally got a line on in-scale resin kits of the Giant Condor and Giant Octopus, the final monsters I need to complete the set. But with Bowen Designs issuing so many must-have statues and busts, it ain't easy.:thumbs2:

I'm still missing Minya, but that's a plus.

Perna
01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Isn't that the truth...

I'm finally in the home stretch to complete a collection of all the classic Toho monsters in 1/150 scale, having pre-ordered Kaiju Freaks' gigantic 1964-style King Ghidorah resin kit.

Here's the Ghidorah, plus Image's Rodan kit in the background...
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/Parker5901/Ghidrah_Asai_Attack2.jpg

And I've finally got a line on in-scale resin kits of the Giant Condor and Giant Octopus, the final monsters I need to complete the set. But with Bowen Designs issuing so many must-have statues and busts, it ain't easy.:thumbs2:

I'm still missing Minya, but that's a plus.

That is so cool!

stormshadow75x
01-21-2008, 12:34 AM

huh?!?!?

that really happened? anybody got pics of that?!?!?

i'd like to check that out

armitage
01-21-2008, 02:41 AM
huh?!?!?

that really happened? anybody got pics of that?!?!?

i'd like to check that out

I found something better than pics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOISbaA2G18

Ink
01-21-2008, 06:44 AM
"Godzilla: Final Wars" director Kitamura got a lot of things wrong, but he got at least one thing right: most Japanese fans hate the American Godzilla... and who can blame them? There's even a joke in the 2002 Japanese Godzilla film (a direct sequel to the 1954 original) where a Japanese military officer asks, "Didn't Godzilla attack New York a few years ago?" and another replies, "No, the Americans thought that was Godzilla, but it wasn't."

"Final Wars" had its problems, but it was great to see the real Godzilla deck Godzilla-In-Name-Only.

lol

moon_knight1971
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
So does anybody have a copy of Mothra 3? I can't seem to find this movie at all.

Ink
01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
you try deep discounts?

moon_knight1971
01-22-2008, 05:19 PM
no but I found a site that offered a 2 disc DVD set that includes all 3 movies. It's got English subtitles but I still like to find a dubbed version. I hope Toho releases a region 1 version of this.

moon_knight1971
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Mothra 3 ROCKED! I really dug it! Cool story, great pacing, well acted & decent special effects (except for the dinosaur segments lol!):)

patrickwm68
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I was surfing on ebay & happened to notice that a Mothra 3 (live action) was released a few years ago but never made it out here to the US. Anybody seen this or have a copy of it?

Mothra 3 has been out a long time. I have all three on bootleg VHS before the bootleggers switched to DVD. They're OK, mostly aimed towards small children.

moon_knight1971
02-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey I respect that statement:thumbs2: