PDA

View Full Version : Insider: Truth About Xbox 360 "Red Ring of Death" Failures

Bullseye
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Interesting article for those who's players have suffered the RROD.
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

Parky
01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Interesting...

I'm glad I don't design high speed digital/analogue boards; I'll stick to designing Micro-Processors; the physics is much easier down here. I just deal with a 1 or 0 and a time unit :)

lord odin
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
This is one reason why I didn`t buy a 360 yet the other being i`m waiting for the"you know it`s coming but you don`t know when" pricedrop.

Collection King 13
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm glad I skipped on the 360...,

cougartrace
01-21-2008, 07:51 PM
there is no problem with the new 360s or the elite models (which are more comparable with the PS3)

Also, the PS3 is said to have a 40 percent failure rate

lord odin
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
there is no problem with the new 360s or the elite models (which are more comparable with the PS3)

I heard that as well i`m in no hurry i`m only buying one when the new final fantasy comes out.

Collection King 13
01-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Thats high... I know 8 ppl that have the PS3s and not one of them have told me about any issues... and the funny thing is I know 3 ppl with the xbox360 and 2 of them have had the ring of death and one Microsoft wouldnt honor his warranty and he had to pay to fix it...

Sgt Taz
01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I had the red ring of death early on when I bought the 360 at launch. Contacted M$ and had my replacement the next week, didnt ask for warranty or nothing. Matter of fact, I did the exact same thing with my regular Xbox years after I bought it and same story.
Considering the gaming expirience I get both on and offline with the 360, I can live with these temporary hicups.

bat_collector
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I love my wii

cougartrace
01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats high... I know 8 ppl that have the PS3s and not one of them have told me about any issues... and the funny thing is I know 3 ppl with the xbox360 and 2 of them have had the ring of death and one Microsoft wouldnt honor his warranty and he had to pay to fix it...

I had my XBOX for about 17 months before it got the red ring of death..had a brand new one in less than 8 days..

Now the old 360s are failing at a rate of 70 to 90 percent

bat_collector
01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I had my XBOX for about 17 months before it got the red ring of death..had a brand new one in less than 8 days..

damn, that is crummy. that should be unacceptable

snappahead
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I've been pretty lucky with my consoles. My first 360 started having problems about a year after I got it, so I traded it before it quit all together. So far, my new ones been perfect and I've only had a minor problem or two with my PS3.

Ink
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
my original 360 last 2 years before the red ring showed up, haven't had any probs since. I think I played the first one to death

Collection King 13
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Yeah but you think I want to wait 8 days plus lose whatever I had on my hard drive... :thumbsdow

cougartrace
01-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah but you think I want to wait 8 days plus lose whatever I had on my hard drive... :thumbsdow

nah..you keep your hard drive (its detachable). You don't lose anything :thumbs2:

Ink
01-21-2008, 08:48 PM

they tell you to take the hard drive off when it goes back

biglebowski9999
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM

LOL. You've posted that "info" before...still waiting on the proof of that if you have any. I've seen it reported multiple times as less than 1% so one of us is getting seriously bad info it seems.

Spatial.Archite
01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
LOL. You've posted that "info" before...still waiting on the proof of that if you have any. I've seen it reported multiple times as less than 1% so one of us is getting seriously bad info it seems.

It was reported somewhere in Europe that the 40 GB models had a failure (or return) rate of 40% according to retailers, but the source (don't remember the name off hand) retracted the story.

The actual numbers for the PS3 failure rate are estimated at less than 1%, same with the Wii.

The 360's failure rate is estimated in the neighborhood of 10%, and up to 30% for launch consoles.

Either way it's blown out of proportion as the PS2 had an astronomical failure rate in its first year of production (disc read errors and overheating issues), then the PS2 slim had serious overheating issues, and the early PSP models were estimated at 50% having "dead pixel" issues.

People just get caught up in the console wars that, "Sony means quality," or, "The 360 is the best console ever."

While both companies can and do make quality products, they've both had a bit of quality control issues. There was the aforementioned issues with the PS2 and PSP, not to mention the Sony battery issue, the faulty CCD in Sony's digital cameras, the recall of one model of Clie due to shock risk, etc...

If you've ever used a Windows based PC, you know of Microsoft's quality control issues *cough* Vista *cough* lol

lord odin
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I`ve had the vista CD MS sent me since last april and I haven`t used it yet.

moon_knight1971
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I just got a PS3 & so far so good:)

cougartrace
01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I`ve had the vista CD MS sent me since last april and I haven`t used it yet.

I've had Vista on my laptop for about 5 months. Great so far :buttrock:

Indy_Yoda
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I've had Vista on my laptop for about 5 months. Great so far :buttrock:

I had Vista on my laptop for about 5 minutes. Thats how long it took me to get it out of the box and get Ubuntu installing. Micro$oft and I dont really see eye to eye so I avoid them whenever possible. I wish that everything didnt come preinstalled with it so I didnt have to pay for the software knowing I will remove it before I do anything else.

IronFist
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm on my third 360. Two years ago, I used to see a lot of Xbox players slagging on people who'd been bricked, saying they must've been abusive towards their systems or had been doing stuff they shouldn't have been. As more and more of them found themselves in a position to have to suddenly defend themselves against those same accusations, I came up with my own personal philosphy: "There are two kinds of Xbox 360 owners. Those who have experienced the Red Ring of Death and those who haven't... yet."

Thank God for warranties. When you don't need it, it seems like a tremendous waste, but if you ever need it and don't have one... hoo boy, is that a pain in the tuckus.

MiamiLoco
01-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Now you know 9 ;)

Vince-Vell
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Interesting read. My friend whos a game freek sent back his 360 about 5 times. But hes got the worst luck in the world, so didnt surprise me he got so many bad ones.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Despite all the issues that the Xbox has, you have to congratulate Microsoft on trying to make it right by giving a 3 year warranty for free....You'll never see SONY do that!

Bullseye
01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Despite all the issues that the Xbox has, you have to congratulate Microsoft on trying to make it right by giving a 3 year warranty for free....You'll never see SONY do that!

Why not?

IronFist
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM

That's because Sony does it right the first time. :laugh:

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Why not?

Sony offers a 1 year, where you have to pay for shipping to and from...Microsoft does this for free.

Bullseye
01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Ah. But aren't the chances of getting a dud Sony pretty slim.

biglebowski9999
01-23-2008, 01:40 PM

My launch day PS2 that is still running like a top would tend to agree w/ you.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:41 PM

Nevertheless...they could offer just a 1 year like any other electronics manufacturer. They do 3 years..3 YEARS. That is huge. EVERY electronics manufacturer out there gives 1 year MAX. I used to work alot with electronics, and it blows when you have to tell a customer that their 13 month unit that doesn't work anymore is no longer covered.

Bullseye
01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I got a 5 year warranty on my Panasonic Plasma.

IronFist
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Nevertheless...they could offer just a 1 year like any other electronics manufacturer. They do 3 years..3 YEARS. That is huge. EVERY electronics manufacturer out there gives 1 year MAX. I used to work alot with electronics, and it blows when you have to tell a customer that their 13 month unit that doesn't work anymore is no longer covered.

You kind of have to offer something more with a 30% failure rate, or you risk alienating the people keeping you in business. MS waited until pretty much the very last second that they could to change from the 1-year to the 3-year, and the only reason they made that change was due to consumer pressure, not goodwill on their part.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM

If Sony was so confident why not match Microsofts 3 years? As a consumer I like to look at warranties. If my 500 dollar PS3 takes a dump in a year, I'm screwed! If my 450 dollar Elite takes a dump in 2 years, I don't hae to worry:) . When you pay that much for something electronic, there is always that thought in the back of your mind "What happens if it messes up after the year is over?" Sure lots of places have extended warranties that cost hundreds of dollars, but I don't always have an extra 300-500 dollars to blow on an extended warranty. Its like gambling. With the Xbox, I have total peace of mind that if something happens, I'm covered. :)

Bullseye
01-23-2008, 01:47 PM
The PS3 is $399 at the moment. I really don't think your going to have a problem with the PS3 in the future.

MS is not that long in the hardware end of this business in comparison to Sony. I am sure once these issues are ironed out they will revert to a 1 year warranty like everyone else.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I got a 5 year warranty on my Panasonic Plasma.

I guarantee you its prorated somehow. If its not then I stand corrected.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:48 PM
The PS3 is $399.

not my 60 gig. And not when I bought it.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2008, 01:58 PM
The PS3 is $399 at the moment. I really don't think your going to have a problem with the PS3 in the future.

MS is not that long in the hardware end of this business in comparison to Sony. I am sure once these issues are ironed out they will revert to a 1 year warranty like everyone else.

and you're probably right bulls! I never had any issues with my launch PS2 either. And I never had any problems with my 2 xbox 360s either. I'm just saying that I applaud Microsofts 3 year (non-prorated) warranty.

snappahead
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
My luck alternates each gen. My PS1 was unstoppable. Bullet proof. I went through 3 PS2s. And now my PS3 has been almost perfect. It's crashed a couple times, but it's been great.

My Xbox was bulletproof. Unstoppable..I'm on my second 360.

Nintendo is the only one that has always gotten it right for me. I've never replaced a Nintendo system. Console or portable. Those guys know their hardware.

Spatial.Archite
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Technically they got it right the fourth time 'cause the original Playstation, the Playstation 2, and the PSP all had more than their share of hardware issues.

I applaud both Nintendo and Sony this generation though; less than a 1% failure rate is impressive.

Ink
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Technically they got it right the fourth time 'cause the original Playstation, the Playstation 2, and the PSP all had more than their share of hardware issues.

I applaud both Nintendo and Sony this generation though; less than a 1% failure rate is impressive.

I agree, the first PS2's were glitch happy too. I worked a dept store when they came out, I saw alot of returns

HelloKinky
01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Blah blah blah, I know plenty of people that have never experience any kind of failures and this is pre-elite models as well.

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 10:36 AM

LMAO. Short memory, right? The warranty was 1-year at launch and only went to 3-years after they recieved tons of bad exposure for RROD. They also set aside over $1 Billion (yeah...that's with a "B") for console repairs...should Sony also do that to get them on equal ground w/ MS? :laugh: :laugh:

cougartrace
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
LMAO. Short memory, right? The warranty was 1-year at launch and only went to 3-years after they recieved tons of bad exposure for RROD. They also set aside over $1 Billion (yeah...that's with a "B") for console repairs...should Sony also do that to get them on equal ground w/ MS? :laugh: :laugh:

MS did a good thing. They recognized a mistake and did their best to rectify it.

It won't be long before MS sells the hardware portion of the XBOX to a vendor that does hardware better. Then MS can concentrate on XBOX Live,etc.

I've seen the PS3 menus,online etc. It in no way compares to XBOX LIVE. In fact its like XBOX is a porsche and PS3 is a kia where the software is concerned.

If do believe that Sony can make a good online experience, but if MS gets out of the hardware side and concentrates only on the XBOX software, they may be hard to be in that arena.

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
MS did a good thing. They recognized a mistake and did their best to rectify it.

It won't be long before MS sells the hardware portion of the XBOX to a vendor that does hardware better. Then MS can concentrate on XBOX Live,etc.

I've seen the PS3 menus,online etc. It in no way compares to XBOX LIVE. In fact its like XBOX is a porsche and PS3 is a kia where the software is concerned.

If do believe that Sony can make a good online experience, but if MS gets out of the hardware side and concentrates only on the XBOX software, they may be hard to be in that arena.

I agree w/ almost everything you said there. MS owned up to the issue and now has a very good warranty (from what I have heard their CS is top-notch, as well). My post was basically in regard to him acting like MS did this from the start because they care so much about their customers. They seem to have fooled him for some reason. The extended warranty was only done because they had a design flaw of epic proportions w/ the hardware and were getting hit left and right w/ bad press.

As for the online experience...I will testify all day long that Live is superior to PSN. Your analogy is a pretty gross exaggeration, however.

Bullseye
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
The good thing about the PS3 is that it will continue to evolve without the need for new hardware. I am sure menu's for PS3 Live gaming will improve.

cougartrace
01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
The good thing about the PS3 is that it will continue to evolve without the need for new hardware. I am sure menu's for PS3 Live gaming will improve.

I'll agree with this :thumbs2:

CocoPUFF
01-24-2008, 01:02 PM

No offense, but get off your high horse. I worked in the electronics industry for years. And Sony is not the perfect manufacturer when it comes to everything. In fact alot of their older head units and recievers had LOTS of problems after 1-2 years. Same with their older TVs. (I myself got a dud) Did they extend their warranty? Hell no! They acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it it the next years models. The simple fact was that SONY felt their NAME was superior, and sadly there are ALOT of biased people out there that think there is NOTHING else besides sony. And SONY uses it to their advantage. I consider my opinion non biased because I worked in the industry for a looooong time, and NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has offered a 3 year non prorated electronics warranty on ANYTHING electronic regardless of how crappy the product is. So quit thinking your entitled to it because microsoft could give everyone the finger and still make billions, just like SONY.

CocoPUFF
01-24-2008, 01:04 PM

yeah , they.ve talked about that alot from what I've read. Im sure they will.

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
No offense, but get off your high horse. I worked in the electronics industry for years. And Sony is not the perfect manufacturer when it comes to everything. In fact alot of their older head units and recievers had LOTS of problems after 1-2 years. Same with their older TVs. (I myself got a dud) Did they extend their warranty? Hell no! They acknowledged the problem and tried to fix it it the next years models. The simple fact was that SONY felt their NAME was superior, and sadly there are ALOT of biased people out there that think there is NOTHING else besides sony. And SONY uses it to their advantage. I consider my opinion non biased because I worked in the industry for a looooong time, and NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has offered a 3 year non prorated electronics warranty on ANYTHING electronic regardless of how crappy the product is. So quit thinking your entitled to it because microsoft could give everyone the finger and still make billions, just like SONY.

Sigh.

1. I am not on a high-horse. You made a ridiculous comment, multiple people attempted to correct you and you are still making it. Get over it...you're dead wrong.

2. Not sure why you seem to think your experience in the electronics industry lends any more credit to your argument, but it doesn't. Sorry.

3. I don't recall saying Sony is the perfect manufacturer at any point. They are far from it, actually. But if you would like to show me where I said that, please do. If not, refrain from putting words in my mouth because judging from your posts you should be far more worried about what is coming out of your's to be honest.

4. Bullseye already said that his Panny TV has a 5-year warranty...are you calling him a liar? You can jump up and down all day banging the drum for MS about how great it is that they have a 3-year-warranty. I think it's great, too, actually. But it is an undeniable FACT that they only did it because their launch consoles were a POS and they had no choice. No other company has ever set aside so much money ($1 Bil) for product repairs/replacement, either? Are we supposed to believe that is some kind of feather for their cap, too?

HelloKinky
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I think this counts as "insider truth" too!

Seriously anyone who works or knows anyone will be considered an insider. Hey I know someone that works at Microsoft but they have no clue on anything about the 360. They can say hey we think it sucks and there you go another insider tidbit.

If Sony is that great and behind it why's it so late on everything? I mean where the hell is HOME anyways??!

CocoPUFF
01-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Sigh.

1. I am not on a high-horse. You made a ridiculous comment, multiple people attempted to correct you and you are still making it. Get over it...you're dead wrong.

2. Not sure why you seem to think your experience in the electronics industry lends any more credit to your argument, but it doesn't. Sorry.

3. I don't recall saying Sony is the perfect manufacturer at any point. They are far from it, actually. But if you would like to show me where I said that, please do. If not, refrain from putting words in my mouth because judging from your posts you should be far more worried about what is coming out of your's to be honest.
4. Bullseye already said that his Panny TV has a 5-year warranty...are you calling him a liar? You can jump up and down all day banging the drum for MS about how great it is that they have a 3-year-warranty. I think it's great, too, actually. But it is an undeniable FACT that they only did it because their launch consoles were a POS and they had no choice. No other company has ever set aside so much money ($1 Bil) for product repairs/replacement, either? Are we supposed to believe that is some kind of feather for their cap, too?

1)Ridiculous comment? Where?

2)it doesn't? I guess we'll all just have to take your word for it because 8 years in the electronics industry doesn't mean anything obviously.:rolleyes2 Its ok. Its obvious your high horse isn't the only one with blinders.

3)Id like you to show me where I was talking about you specifically...And putting words in your mouth? How when there is so much garbage coming out of yours? I just don't have the time to wait for the excess to clear before putting more words in.

4)I called Bulls a liar? where? Quit trying to start a battle that will go nowhere. And I'm not saying that they (Microsoft) did it for any other reason. I acknowledge that they had issues. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem fair to me that people knock Microsoft for giving a three year warranty because the system is crap, when to begin with they don't have to do anything for the consumer. Sony wont do anything for you after a year. Obviously I'm not going to change your mind on this issue, so you can keep beleiving everything you hear as fact! I'm coming at this issue totally non biased, and when I tell people my experience with other products, they don't always take it as fact either. I'm just telling you from experience. I don't know what you do for a living, but who am I to say your experience doesn't lend any credibility to your argument when it comes to something you've done for a living.

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
1)Ridiculous comment? Where?

Um, right here:

"Nevertheless...they could offer just a 1 year like any other electronics manufacturer. They do 3 years..3 YEARS. That is huge. EVERY electronics manufacturer out there gives 1 year MAX."

It sounds like you are congratulating them for something they had no other choice but to do. Has any other console company had a 3-year warranty...no, not even close. But has any other console company had hardware issues of this magnitude? No, not even close. You keep bringing up how Sony (and Nintendo don't forget) only have 1-year....well, why should they do any more when they have a <1% fail rate???? That's all MS had before they found out they had a colossal mess on their hands, too. I'm not going to pat them on their back too much for doing something they had no choice but to do. And I realize Sony had issues w/ the DD in the PS2 but it was now hwere near the magnitude of the RROD issue and it certainly got far less media attention.

2)it doesn't? I guess we'll all just have to take your word for it because 8 years in the electronics industry doesn't mean anything obviously.:rolleyes2 Its ok. Its obvious your high horse isn't the only one with blinders.

It doesn't. You don't have to be "in the industry" to understand why they did it.

3)Id like you to show me where I was talking about you specifically...And putting words in your mouth? How when there is so much garbage coming out of yours? I just don't have the time to wait for the excess to clear before putting more words in.

Here's a tip...generally, when you quote something that someone says, that is an indication to them that you are speaking to them specifically.

And I told you what words you were putting in my mouth...go back and reread the post if you missed it.

4)I called Bulls a liar? where? Quit trying to start a battle that will go nowhere. And I'm not saying that they (Microsoft) did it for any other reason. I acknowledge that they had issues. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem fair to me that people knock Microsoft for giving a three year warranty because the system is crap, when to begin with they don't have to do anything for the consumer. Sony wont do anything for you after a year. Obviously I'm not going to change your mind on this issue, so you can keep beleiving everything you hear as fact! I'm coming at this issue totally non biased, and when I tell people my experience with other products, they don't always take it as fact either. I'm just telling you from experience. I don't know what you do for a living, but who am I to say your experience doesn't lend any credibility to your argument when it comes to something you've done for a living.

I didn't say you outright called him a liar. You keep saying that NO ELECTRONICS manuf. would give as long a warranty as MS did, even though he immediately said his Panny had a 5-year warranty. Either you think he is a liar for saying that or your statement was false....so you should cease leaning on it for your argument.

Nobody is knocking MS for the warranty...it's exactly what they should have done and I have said so multiple times. They did the right thing. What most people don't do (besides you) is act like it's the greatest thing ever done in the history of humanity when in reality most people realize they had absolutely no choice in the matter. They tried to cut corners and be first to market and they got burned for it...big time.

I know my posts make it seem like I am anti-MS but that is not the case at all. I was looking to buy a 360only a couple months after launch. But 3 of my 5 friends that bought launch consoles had them crap out <6 months after they bought them. So I waited. Then the price of the PS3 was announced and I was furious...so again, I'm looking to get a 360. By then I know even more people that have had issues and some people were on their 3rd console already! That's ridiculous, I'm sorry. So I waited it out until the PS3 dropped in price and bought one and haven't looked back. Would I liek to play Mass Effect, Bioshock & Gears? You better believe it. Am I going to put any money down on MS hardware until they can prove they can produce a quality piece of equipment consistently? Not a chance.

Bullseye
01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Guys you need to calm down.

snappahead
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Guys you need to calm down.

You should've known what you were starting with this thread. That's right...I'm saying it's all your fault.:p

Bullseye
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Maybe its time to close. lol