PDA

View Full Version : Devil May Cry 4 demo on marketplace

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 07:53 AM
There's loads of new demo's like Turning point: fall of liberty and the Turok demo but personaly I've been looking forward to DMC4 - downloading as we speak :buttrock:

AsOneDead
01-24-2008, 08:00 AM
sweet.

abarron
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
When is this gonna hit the Playstation store?
There hasn't been anything decent on there since Burnout about a month ago

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
When is this gonna hit the Playstation store?
There hasn't been anything decent on there since Burnout about a month ago"While Xbox 360 owners are set to share the love alongside their US counterparts when the demo hits Xbox Live Marketplace tommorrow, Thursday January 24, PS3 owners will have to endure an extra week of thumb-twiddling and tea-making, the PSN version hitting Euro shores on Thursday January 31."

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Ok I just played through the first part of the demo and my first reaction is "WOW" :eek:

Sure we've all seen screens and trailers and they showed (graphicaly) a next gen DMC but nothing more. But the first thing you notice when you play it is damn those graphs are stunning! Better than any screen or trailer and maybe even better than anything out at the moment (considering different styles of graphs ofcourse). There's a part where you come across a small harbor with ships - I just had to stop and apreciate those graphics! Not to mention the buildings, reminded me of Gears maybe even better (yes that's right, and that's saying something!).

Other than that, it's still the same DMC gameplay that we all know and love...only better since you have a 3rd way to prolong your combos this time around (the Devil hand). Obviously it's only a demo so you are limited in the combos but I already found a power up giving me more combo options for the Devil hand (and some fun transportation method).

Considering the demo isnt even 700mb as opposed to Turok's and Turning point's 1.2 gig it's a fairly large demo. You get 2 levels and 10 minutes to play in each.

abarron
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Jan 31st??
I can't wait that long

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Just played the second part. It's just a very small part of a snow level leading up do a boss fight - a boss fight DMC style :buttrock:

I am so getting this game. It's one of those games I'll be playing over and over trying to get all the achievements :thumbs2:

abarron
01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I had the First DMC but haven't played any of them since then.
This might be worth picking up

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I had the first and second. Loved the first but the second was slightly less. The third was supposed to be good again but I've never played it.

DMC gameplay rules :buttrock:

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Jan 31st??
I can't wait that long

It's today in the U.S. if it makes you feel any better.:)

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
There's loads of new demo's like Turning point: fall of liberty and the Turok demo but personaly I've been looking forward to DMC4 - downloading as we speak :buttrock:

Don't bother w/ Turok. It was on the PS3 last week and it's horrible. Not getting very good reviews for the whole game, either.

abarron
01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
It's today in the U.S. if it makes you feel any better.:)

No it doesn't:stick:

Colossal
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
DMC2 for me was really bad compared to the original, just a lot weaker in terms of gameplay, enemies and full of cliches (and whats a living monster tank got to do with anything? :-))

Been looking forward to this as much as Dark Sector, now we finally get a demo and my Internet is down at home, hopefully they've sent a guy round to sort it out today, fingers crossed and cant wait for this, although I think its released at the end of the month in the UK at any rate.

Shame about Turok, I was looking forward to downloading it and seeing it, from the videos it looked fun and next gen.

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I think its released at the end of the month in the UK at any rate.

Shame about Turok, I was looking forward to downloading it and seeing it, from the videos it looked fun and next gen.DMC4 sees a februari 5th release in the US and a februari 8th release in EU.

I havent played the Turok demo but my friend says once you get out of the cave that's when you get to see the actual game, graph wise and whatnot. He says it's not bad apart from when you get hit the screen turns red, not unlike alot of other games but here it's realy bothersome he says.

Either way, there's a 1001 fps'ers out there and plenty of em are real good but with the overflooded market I'll just pick up the best of the best like Halo3 and Cod4. Coop is also a selling point for me.

abarron
01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I always have high hopes for Turok and it just never performs.
I will wait and see if there is s demo but from what peopl have been saying i amd gonna pass on the game

biglebowski9999
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I had very high hopes for Turok, as well. Not a huge loss, as mentioned, since there are so many FPS out there, but it always stood out because of the dino-theme. I couldn't even make it out of the cave to be honest because it was so bad. However, since demos are free I would still recommend that anyone interested should still take the time to DL it and try it for themselves.

abarron
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I know i love Jurrassic Park and FPS so combining them should be awesome but it just seams to never work properly.
I will stick with COD4

Sgt Taz
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I still recommend you try the Turok demo and get out of the cave to judge for yourself. Tastes differ + the cave isnt a good representation of the game it seems.

HelloKinky
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
So Turok sucked? Man I remember those games especially the 2nd one on the 64, that was good fun! Even the beginning to the first one was great!

Red X
01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Damn i pissed...both Turok and DMC4 sucked balls.

What terrible gaming experiences...all that hype for this? Well I'll cross to turds off my list this year.

Sgt Taz
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Damn i pissed...both Turok and DMC4 sucked balls.

What terrible gaming experiences...all that hype for this? Well I'll cross to turds off my list this year.Tastes sure can differ :inquisiti

With the trusted kick @ss typical DMC gameplay (with added combo options) and even better than expected (simply stunning) graphics I'm already crazy about DMC4 :buttrock:

Red X I'm guessing you didnt like the other DMC's either?

Colossal
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
DMC4 definitely follows on from 1 and 3 in terms of gameplay from the character, although I felt that Nero's movement is a little...stiffer, and not as fluid (like his run is slow, until he does that speed burst thing and gets faster), but I imagine that he will upgrade accordingly. No gun switching it seems, or dual weaponry seeing as he has the hand.

If you liked 1 and 3, this is exactly how they feel so you should dig this one, and so far, it looks and plays great.

Turok, doesnt seem awesome, but I like it, its got Ron Perlman, and stabbing dinos in the face wont get old quickly :-)

Whats the other one about, Turning Point? HAvent even heard of it.

Ill definitely get DMC4, probably Turok for the right price.

Sgt Taz
01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
DMC4 definitely follows on from 1 and 3 in terms of gameplay from the character, although I felt that Nero's movement is a little...stiffer, and not as fluid (like his run is slow, until he does that speed burst thing and gets faster), but I imagine that he will upgrade accordingly. No gun switching it seems, or dual weaponry seeing as he has the hand.

Whats the other one about, Turning Point? HAvent even heard of it.

Ill definitely get DMC4, probably Turok for the right price.Have you ever played Freedom fighters? Same concept only instead of the Russians now it's the Nazi's and instead of 3rd person it's a fps.

If I am not mistaken there are different guns also in DMC4 :thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok here we go, not sure about the different guns but there are different kinds of weapons including dual wielding swords and claws. Dual wielding guns will probably only be done when playing as Dante...

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2990/dmc1md2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/272/dmc2jl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8106/dmc3vv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6085/dmc5ky8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

If you check the "final trailer" on marketplace you'll see that there is also some kind of flying vehicle that shoots rockets available. Not to mention a boss fight that has the size of Oblivions final boss.

HelloKinky
01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
DMC games always looked great but I never thought they were that great. They were fun for a while but that was it. Reminded me of Tony Hawk games in the beginning great and then it sorta just dragged on more of the same.

Red X
01-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Tastes sure can differ :inquisiti

With the trusted kick @ss typical DMC gameplay (with added combo options) and even better than expected (simply stunning) graphics I'm already crazy about DMC4 :buttrock:

Red X I'm guessing you didnt like the other DMC's either?

The graphics are a slight improvement, but I mean everything about it seems so last gen to me. Boxes and enemies disappear after being broken or killed. All the enemies look the same, the snow effects were pretty bad, the water effects weren't very good at all, and I had to collect these jelly pill things. I hate how you would just progress and then get blocked off by some red imaginary force field and need to fight the same enemies, then repeat. The hero even says it best by "Lemme guess more demons"

Exactly my reaction too! I felt the cutscene visuals were better than the actual in game action scenes and if more like the cutscenes it would have been better. I still feel games like COD4, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and such still look better than this game which hasn't even been released yet. Sorry Capcom I love RE and MegaMan, but DMC just isn't for me.

The whole demo for me was just completely underwhelming.

Sgt Taz
01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
The graphics are a slight improvement, but I mean everything about it seems so last gen to me.Slight improvement over the previous DMC's you mean? Now there's a statement :D

Ok one last question (not that it matters), are you playing on a HDTV?

Red X
01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Slight improvement over the previous DMC's you mean? Now there's a statement :D

Ok one last question (not that it matters), are you playing on a HDTV?

Yes. Those screenshots are deceptive though, you are never that close to the action the camera is so far away you can't make out any details...the camera needs to be places right behind him.

Sgt Taz
01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Yes. Those screenshots are deceptive though, you are never that close to the action the camera is so far away you can't make out any details...the camera needs to be places right behind him.They indeed are a little deceptive and so are the trailers. I was surprised when playing the demo that the graphs were actualy even better than the screens and trailers :eek:

AsOneDead
01-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Can't wait for this, DMC rules :buttrock:

Red X
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
They indeed are a little deceptive and so are the trailers. I was surprised when playing the demo that the graphs were actualy even better than the screens and trailers :eek:

I think you need glasses.:thumbs2:

snappahead
01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Just played the demo. Not too shabby. I've never been a fan of the series, but the game does look great. They always do though.

Sgt Taz
01-26-2008, 03:55 AM
I think you need glasses.:thumbs2:I think you need a bigger/better tv :thumbs2:

DSET
01-26-2008, 01:06 PM
i couldnt handle DMC3 there was too much button mashing for me (it was good but out of my leagues)
is this one, easier or harder on the button mashing?

Ive been ninja gaiden and GOD1,2 and dmc1
but thats about it for button mashers for me

Red X
01-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I think you need a bigger/better tv :thumbs2:

No thanks, already got one.:thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
i couldnt handle DMC3 there was too much button mashing for me (it was good but out of my leagues)
is this one, easier or harder on the button mashing?

Ive been ninja gaiden and GOD1,2 and dmc1
but thats about it for button mashers for meHavent played DMC3 but I didnt consider 1 and 2 button mashers, neither do I do the 4th.

Sgt Taz
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
No thanks, already got one.:thumbs2:Excellent :thumbs2:

DSET
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Havent played DMC3 but I didnt consider 1 and 2 button mashers, neither do I do the 4th.
dmc and gow games are the definition of the slang term people use to define hack and slash\\\button masher games same meaning.

Im not knocking the game:banghead: :banghead:

Sgt Taz
01-26-2008, 10:44 PM
dmc and gow games are the definition of the slang term people use to define hack and slash\\\button masher games same meaning.Not over here. We call a button masher a game like 3 Count Bout or side scrolling beat em ups like Final Fight. As soon as you have to switch buttons and directions on the joystick in order to make combos and add some jumps in there and in this case the Devil hand to prolong the combo even more...well that's just too much tactics for a mere button masher (for us).

DSET
01-27-2008, 01:32 AM
again you seem to think im putting down the game by calling it a button masher im not GOW2 is prolly 1 my fav games and DMC1 was amazing

im not gonna argue what the defintion of a buttom masher game is

yes the obvious answer is a fighting game, or somone who random presses buttons just to get through the game, or the same one over and over again.

but people call hack and slash games button mashers aswell, becuz you have to do alot alot of mashing of the same button and very quickly and repetitively until the point where youre hands get fatigued
the same meaning but in a diff way.

and who really cares about all this.
cant you just answer my question on wether it was difficult and or tiring or not?
in comparison to the first 1 was it alot harder or in comparison to ninja gaiden which i found quite difficult

Sgt Taz
01-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Wow easy there tiger, here we go :)again you seem to think im putting down the game by calling it a button masherHonestly I dont know how you get that idea, just because I gave another definition of button mashing?

but people call hack and slash games button mashers aswell, becuz you have to do alot alot of mashing of the same button and very quickly and repetitively until the point where youre hands get fatigued the same meaning but in a diff way.You just summed up why we dont call DMC a button masher (over here).

cant you just answer my question on wether it was difficult and or tiring or not?
in comparison to the first 1 was it alot harder or in comparison to ninja gaiden which i found quite difficultI thought I did answer? :peoples:

Havent played DMC3 but I didnt consider 1 and 2 button mashers, neither do I do the 4th.That right there says it's not tiring. As for the difficulty, keep in mind I just played a 10 minute demo.

ps: you can also charge your weapon up to 3 levels for different (more damaging) combos, I just figured that out yesterday :)

snappahead
01-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I personally found the demo to be on the easy side. Especially for DMC. They must've had it set to easy or whatever they call it. The game itself will no doubt be much more challenging, but maybe they've cut back a bit on the difficulty for part 4.

DSET
01-27-2008, 02:33 PM
okay thanks guys for the response I think I better read reviews or rent mine before i buy it then

I only ask cuz I couldnt handle DMC3

Sgt Taz
01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I personally found the demo to be on the easy side. Especially for DMC. They must've had it set to easy or whatever they call it. The game itself will no doubt be much more challenging, but maybe they've cut back a bit on the difficulty for part 4.The difficulty will probably lie in getting all the achievements:

A Comfortable Place: Clear Mission 11 in Human Mode
Easy Does It: Clear all missions in Human Mode
Half Way There: Clear mission 11 in Devil Hunter Mode
iDone and Done: Clear all missions in Devil Hunter Mode
Rock and a Hard Place: N/A
Hardly a Smple Task: N/A
Easier Said than Done: N/A
All Bow Before You: N/A
Step into the Light: N/A
Tonight, We Dine in Hell: N/A
The Best of the Rest: Clear all missions in Human Mode with an S ranking
A Cut Above: Clear all missions in Devil Hunter Mode with an S ranking
A Stunning Feat: N/A
Never Say Die: N/A
A Throne of Glory: N/A
Nothing Left Unsaid: N/A
The First Circle: N/A
The Second Circle: N/A
The Third Circle: N/A
The Fourth Circle: N/A
The Fifth Circle: N/A
The Six Circle: N/A
The Seven Circle: N/A
The Eight Circle: N/A
The Nine Circle: N/A
Covered in Blood: N/A
King of the Palace: N/A
Speak of the Devil: N/A
Smokin'!: Complete a Stylinsh Rank S (Smokin'!) combo
Smokin' Style!!: Complete a Stylish Rank SS (Smokin' Style!!) combo
Smokin' Sick Style!!!: Complete a Stylish Rank SSS (Smokin' Sick Style!!!) combo
Simply Spectacular: Complete a mission with an S ranking
Modus Vivendi: N/A
Bat Out of Hell: N/A
River of Red: Acquire 10,000 Red Orbs
Your Cup Runeth Over: N/A
Red Orb Millionaire: N/A
Filled with Pride: Acquire 10,000 Proud Souls
Brimming with Pride: N/A
Proud Millionaire: N/A
Rookie Devil Hunter: Defeat a total of 100 enemies
Skilled Devil Hunter: N/A
Legendary Devil Hunter: N/A
Item Collector: N/A
Skill Collector - Nero: N/A
Skill Collector - Dante: N/A

snappahead
01-27-2008, 04:20 PM
okay thanks guys for the response I think I better read reviews or rent mine before i buy it then

I only ask cuz I couldnt handle DMC3

I feel you there. The DMC series is known for it's toughness..especially 3. The demo has two parts. A timed mission where you simply try to kill as many enemies as possible and boss battle option. The boss battle portion was tougher than the timed part, but neither was very hard. The game probably gets brutal later on though. DMC always does.

adee
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
I finally got around to downloading the demo this weekend. I thought the graphics were great. The game play seemed pretty much the same so I liked it. I thought the demo was an easy play, but I know that this game will be very challenging. DMC3 is one of only a few games I was never able to complete. In a way that's why I liked it so much. As far as it being a button smasher, you may be able to get away with that in the demo, it wasn't very hard, but as you get further in the game and unlock the combos you will need to know them all in order to advance.

Quick question about the two part demo ...I only played the 10 min timed portion, but I was able to get to a snow board and fought two monsters. My time ran out while fighting them, but is this the other half of the demo?

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Quick question about the two part demo ...I only played the 10 min timed portion, but I was able to get to a snow board and fought two monsters. My time ran out while fighting them, but is this the other half of the demo?Yes the snow level is part two of the demo. Only when you select it at the menu you dont have the time limit since it's just a boss fight (wich you would have encountered right after those monsters).

adee
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Thx Sgt Taz, I will check out the other half, but I think this one is already a definite buy for me.:thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Hope this counts for Belgium also but I'm not getting my hopes up :rolleyes2

From IGN:

"UK, January 30, 2008 - With Devil May Cry now only a couple of weeks from release, some eagle-eyed shoppers have spotted that it looks to be coming to the Xbox 360 for the bargain sum of £29.99, while the PS3 version is still set to retail at the more traditional rate of £39.99.

The price of the Xbox 360 version brings it in line with the cost of games Stateside, with American retailer Best Buy offering the game for both the 360 and PS3 at $59.99 – which roughly translates as £30. However, the PS3 price-tag is more reflective of the typical prices UK dwelling gamers have to pay for their wares.

We spoke to the game's publisher Capcom about the price discrepancy, and a spokesperson replied: "We don't set the prices of our games, that's at the discretion of the retailer. In this specific instance, the process has resulted in a price difference, but the process itself is not something we completely control."

abarron
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Hope this counts for Belgium also but I'm not getting my hopes up :rolleyes2

From IGN:

"UK, January 30, 2008 - With Devil May Cry now only a couple of weeks from release, some eagle-eyed shoppers have spotted that it looks to be coming to the Xbox 360 for the bargain sum of £29.99, while the PS3 version is still set to retail at the more traditional rate of £39.99.

The price of the Xbox 360 version brings it in line with the cost of games Stateside, with American retailer Best Buy offering the game for both the 360 and PS3 at $59.99 – which roughly translates as £30. However, the PS3 price-tag is more reflective of the typical prices UK dwelling gamers have to pay for their wares.

We spoke to the game's publisher Capcom about the price discrepancy, and a spokesperson replied: "We don't set the prices of our games, that's at the discretion of the retailer. In this specific instance, the process has resulted in a price difference, but the process itself is not something we completely control."

Yeah that sucks Play.com have that marked up. £39.99 for PS3 £29.99 for xbox 360:thumbsdow

abarron
02-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Downloaded,Installed and played this last night.
Awesome graphics.
What happened to Dante??

Sgt Taz
02-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Downloaded,Installed and played this last night.
Awesome graphics.
What happened to Dante??He's in there somewhere. I know there's a boss fight were you fight him. He's also a playable character but I dont know the details.

AsOneDead
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
They say you play as him about half way through the game.

Sgt Taz
02-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Didnt want to make a new thread for this because it isnt worth it... We have a contender for worst game of the year => Conflict: denied ops :thumbs2:

Waste your time & HD space - now on marketplace (and possibly PSN, not sure)

Colossal
02-02-2008, 06:15 AM
I dont know, that Turning Point demo is HORRENDOUS. You can see an enemy hiding in cover, shoot the hell out of him from a distance, and do nothing, then when you cross an invisible line to activate the AI code, he then reveals more of himself and you can kill him. Thats terrible game design right there, Im shocked they even released something like that as a demo!

Just played DM4 demo again, really enjoy it, didnt even realise you could keep revving the sword to get the more powerful attacks. Cant wait to try Dante, its said that when you go over to Dante, its a big jump from playing as Nero, seeing as how Dante has years of experience etc, so the gameplay gets even better.

And they've also allowed you to change styles on the fly now, so you can switch between the DMC3 styles during combos supposedly!!

Pre-ordered this last night, bring on Friday.

Sgt Taz
02-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Sounds even more promissing :thumbs2:

Havent played Turning point but any game will have a hard time beating Conflict in all it's glory :)

Red X
02-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I'd say Conflict looked terrible from the start if you downloaed that it's your fault.

Also I'd say The Club, Turok, and DMC4 are up for worst game of the year.

Colossal
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I can understand and agree with you saying DMC4 isnt very next gen in terms of using existing gameplay from the first games, but thats a huge difference from calling it one of the worst games of the year Red :-)

Id go as far as wager that by the end of the year, we wont see DMC4 nominated once ANYWHERE for worst game of the year :>

Although you have got me really intrigued, what would you say are your top 5 next gen games Red? What are ones you are looking forward to this year? To be honest, Im not anticipating much early this year myself (DMC4, Dark Sector, Too Human - I really hope these are all great games).

Red X
02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I can understand and agree with you saying DMC4 isnt very next gen in terms of using existing gameplay from the first games, but thats a huge difference from calling it one of the worst games of the year Red :-)

Id go as far as wager that by the end of the year, we wont see DMC4 nominated once ANYWHERE for worst game of the year :>

Although you have got me really intrigued, what would you say are your top 5 next gen games Red? What are ones you are looking forward to this year? To be honest, Im not anticipating much early this year myself (DMC4, Dark Sector, Too Human - I really hope these are all great games).

My top 5 current next gen games?
1. Call of Duty 4
2. Uncharted
3. Ratchet & Clank Future
4. Resistance: Fall of Man
5. Super Mario Galaxy

What games am I most looking forward to this year?

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
Killzone 2
Soul Calibur IV
GTA IV
Street Fighter IV
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Army of Two
Haze
Far Cry 2
Tekken 6
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Fallout 3
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Resistance 2
Lost Planet
Gran Turismo 5
Lego Batman
Lego Indiana Jones
Little Big Planet
Mortal Kombat
Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier
Resident Evil 5
Silent Hill 5
Dark Sector
Ghostbusters the video game
Dead Space
Smash Brothers Brawl
God of War: Chains of Olympus
FFVII: Crisis Core

The First half of the year is kind of slow it's not 'til around June were all the heavy hitters start coming out but I mean, Army of Two, Lost Planet, Dark Sector, GT5, Smash Brothers, the 2 PSP games I listed, and GTA IV all come out before June.
:thumbs2:

I'm not saying I'm going to get all of those. I was really looking forward to Turok and DMC4 but once I played the demos I crossed them both off my list.

Sgt Taz
02-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd say Conflict looked terrible from the start if you downloaed that it's your fault.You need to take a chill pill red.

Also I'd say The Club, Turok, and DMC4 are up for worst game of the year.Credibility :thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Reviews are up: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849246p1.html

8.7 on both PS3 and 360 :thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
02-04-2008, 02:04 PM
...oh and DSET, here's a little quote from the review: Devil May Cry fans know what they expect from the action series: they look for fast paced action sequences that require solid timing instead of button mashing.

Looks like I'm not the only one with another definition of button mashing :)

HelloKinky
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Soooo it's a more refined button smasher... :rolleyes:

I saw the graphics and yes they're great but I don't see how they look much better from the previews. At this point it's what you come to expect from Capcom anyways.

Sgt Taz
02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Soooo it's a more refined button smasher... :rolleyes:

I saw the graphics and yes they're great but I don't see how they look much better from the previews. At this point it's what you come to expect from Capcom anyways.I guess you have to see it for yourself or maybe it differs from tv to tv. Either way the playable demo looked better than the trailers I had downloaded.

...oh and it's called button masher. I saw you type that before and thought it was a typo but anyway, I guess everyone has a different definition about a button masher too :)

Sgt Taz
02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Along with 100 extra points used for discounts, I'm getting a free DMC4 faceplate for pre-ordering :thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
02-05-2008, 02:08 PM
IGN UK review is also up: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849593p1.html

9.0 on both PS3 & 360 :thumbs2:

HelloKinky
02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I guess you have to see it for yourself or maybe it differs from tv to tv. Either way the playable demo looked better than the trailers I had downloaded.

...oh and it's called button masher. I saw you type that before and thought it was a typo but anyway, I guess everyone has a different definition about a button masher too :)

Yeah at least where I come from we've always said smasher but use masher interchangeably. So it's called "whatever gets the idea across" :)

Differs from TV to TV? I dunno I have an HD 1080p. But then again if you saw the trailer on a computer and play the demo now, well that is a difference.

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Yeah at least where I come from we've always said smasher but use masher interchangeably. So it's called "whatever gets the idea across" :)

Differs from TV to TV? I dunno I have an HD 1080p. But then again if you saw the trailer on a computer and play the demo now, well that is a difference.My bad, never heard it called smasher before :)

I downloaded the trailers from marketplace so saw them on the same tv I played the demo on. Could be just me then...or you, since the reviews claim it's one of the best looking games on both PS3 and 360.

Either way it's not that important, I'm glad I like it and I guess your glad your saving some cash, win - win :)

Red X
02-06-2008, 01:36 AM
IGN UK review is also up: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849593p1.html

9.0 on both PS3 & 360 :thumbs2:

UK reviewers just impress easier I guess...

AsOneDead
02-06-2008, 02:14 AM
8.0 at Gamespot

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/devilmaycry4/review.html?sid=6185608&tag=topslot;title;1

AsOneDead
02-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Fighting the same bosses 3 times :thumbsdow

Colossal
02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Thing is, as annoying/enjoyable as some may seem these things, Capcom have always had backtracking and repetition of boss fights in their game arsenal, particularly in the DMC series.

Although it is frustrating to play through every boss you have faced, one after another, its also great fun and forces you to choose your attacks and strategies wisely.

JUST AS LONG as this kind of gameplay isnt used to replace additional bosses, I hate that. With DMC 3 I think, you had to fight through a selection of bosses to unlock a portal that would take you to a new boss if memory serves, and that was great, as by the time you got to him, you'd just kicked the crap out of all his henchmen (and its always a pleasure killing the cerberus :-)).

So its nothing new, and Im glad the UK reviewer at IGN didnt take off points because of these two things, especially seeing as it would be a shock if this type of play WASNT included in the series.

Looking forward to Friday in a big way, just curious to see how much of the story is in fact Dante's, thats the only issue I have at the moment, as long as hes pivotal to the plot, rather than tacked on, Ill be fine :-)

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm also understanding of IGN UK not deducting points for the backtracking. In DMC's case there has always been backtracking and more importantly repeating the same levels to level up orb wise. In this case you just get to play as an extra character for the orb upleveling.

Oh and it's 70% Nero 30% Dante Colossal.

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Got it today :thumbs2:

Just played the first "level" wich is just a tutorial boss fight but so far I'm loving it. The intro and over the top cutscene fights rule :buttrock:

Hope I can finish my second Mass effect playthrough by the weekend so I can start fresh with DMC4.

abarron
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
So whats the story between Dante and this new guy Nero??

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 01:07 PM
So whats the story between Dante and this new guy Nero??Well Nero is attending some sort of ceremony when Dante drops in and assassinates the priest. Nero then attacks Dante wich is the tutorial boss fight.

I'll get into it as soon as I finish Mass effect. Hopefuly this weekend.

ps: got me a cool and free DMC4 faceplate :buttrock:
(wont recieve it till next week though as they werent delivered yet)

abarron
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
So is Dante a bad gut now??
I am so confused.
I don't know any of the story since the first one.
Wasn't there a woman character in 2 or 3??

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
So is Dante a bad gut now??
I am so confused.
I don't know any of the story since the first one.
Wasn't there a woman character in 2 or 3??I didnt finish DMC2 and never played the third so I'm not up to date story wise either.

Dante isnt the bad guy, the ceremony he turns into a funeral is in honor of a Sparda Demon wich the town worships or something. Nero, living in the town (and part of the royal family or guards or something) isnt aware that the Sparda Demon is evil or something to that effect so thinks of Dante as the bad guy. After the fight they both discover they have more in common than they thought...then Dante splits.

I'm asuming the more you progress the more Nero opens his eyes.

Like I said though I just played for about 5 minutes and saw the cut scenes but wasnt able to pay full attention because my son was in the room. I'll play from the beginning this weekend to be able to follow the story better.

HelloKinky
02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
The only downside to all this is once you get to play as Dante, you just go throw all the same levels Nero was in. Nothing really new :(

Sgt Taz
02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
The only downside to all this is once you get to play as Dante, you just go throw all the same levels Nero was in. Nothing really new :(Look at it this way, DMC has always been a backtracking / repeat levels kinda game (to collect orbs and upgrade). At least here you get to do it with a new character and slight adjustments in the levels.

HelloKinky
02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Plus you get all his moves and powers and what not, except just the same guns, which is no biggie really. Just saying besides backtracking with Nero, you'll be doing it with Dante too.

AsOneDead
02-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Up to the 7th mission and so far it's awesome, classic DMC. The graphics are great and the cutscenes are as good as it gets. The enemies and bosses are very cool and fun to fight.

Sgt Taz
02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Up to the 7th mission and so far it's awesome, classic DMC. The graphics are great and the cutscenes are as good as it gets. The enemies and bosses are very cool and fun to fight.:buttrock:

I'm still rushing through Mass effect so I can start with DMC...

Colossal
02-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Just got past mission 11, got an achievement for going halfway through the game, and its just switched over to Dante, but from what Taz said, it wont be 50/50, so I imagine in the end we go back to playing as Nero.

Its funny, reviews said that Nero doesnt compare to Dante, but now I miss the grab, and the cool throws that came with them, not to mention that the grab was a cool way of escaping attacks by catching onto characters that couldnt be thrown.

Backtracking has started, and so far, its a bit more annoying than I thought it would be, but its still good, especially as Dante does have some AWESOME attacks, especially this cool looking Gilgamesh armour, thats worth the price of the game in itself for the amount of fun it currently is :-)

Sgt Taz
02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
You get to wear armour? Sounds cool... What about that flying rocket shooting vehicle, did you get it yet?

AsOneDead
02-09-2008, 12:34 PM
The devil bringer is awesome and very handy.

Colossal
02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, thats Pandora's Box - its just absurd what that thing does, Ive only got the default weapon and havent bought the two upgrades for it, but its already a rocket launching bow and chaingun - the cutscene to show it off when you first get it is just crazy awesome :-)

At the moment Im sticking with Gilgamesh armour and the Swordmaster style, the two together has some great and powerful attacks.

Sgt Taz
02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Just finished Mass effect for the second time, now it's DMC time :buttrock:

What's this Gilgamesh armour?

DSET
02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Just finished Mass effect for the second time, now it's DMC time :buttrock:

What's this Gilgamesh armour?

I played DMC4 for an hour
I'm definately loving this one
prolly wont have time to actually beat it for a while
mass effect is next on my list

if you dont mind me asking without many of teh extra sidequests and what-not on avg, how long does it take to complete?

Sgt Taz
02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
if you dont mind me asking without many of teh extra sidequests and what-not on avg, how long does it take to complete?It took me almost 50hrs to beat it twice including most sidesquests. Considering they take up most of the time I'd estimate 10-15hrs for the first playthrough without too many sidesquests. (I beat it faster the second time around) Maybe even under 10 if you only do what progresses the main story.