PDA

View Full Version : PS3 VS Xbox 360

Juggernaut
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Of these two consol's wich one is the best.

Ink
01-27-2008, 07:04 PM

Red X
01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
PS3

twinzs
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Of these two consol's wich one is the best.

What are you looking for out of the system. I just got my ps3 yesterday so I can't say which is better yet

Red X
01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
This may spark another hot debate.

But I've always been a Sony guy. There is another rumored price drop coming soon, the online is free, and of course you need to look at exclusives games.

It all depends what kind of games your looking for, and/or what your favorite genres and titles are.

I'm a huge MGS, Tekken, and FF fan so I stick with Sony.:thumbs2:

biglebowski9999
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
PS3. Not even close IMO.

twinzs
01-27-2008, 08:17 PM
This may spark another hot debate.

But I've always been a Sony guy. There is another rumored price drop coming soon, the online is free, and of course you need to look at exclusives games.

It all depends what kind of games your looking for, and/or what your favorite genres and titles are.

I'm a huge MGS, Tekken, and FF fan so I stick with Sony.:thumbs2:

PS3. Not even close IMO.

Do you guys own both systems?

gcamm
01-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm lucky to have both, and I really think it depends on what kind of games you like. Of course there's the reliability issue with the 360. I got mine on the day it came out in Nov. '05, and I'm now on my 6th console due to failures. Still like the games it has, though.

mule verine
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
The 360 if you like playing online there is no other system better.

twinzs
01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm lucky to have both, and I really think it depends on what kind of games you like. Of course there's the reliability issue with the 360. I got mine on the day it came out in Nov. '05, and I'm now on my 6th console due to failures. Still like the games it has, though.

6th? :eek: Thats some bad luck

biglebowski9999
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM

Nope...I was going to buy one about 6 months after launch but I had multiple friends who got RROD by that time. Some are on their 3rd or more console by this point, which is a joke to me. I don't feel like dropping hundreds of dollars so I can cringe everytime I turn the thing on wondering if it's going to break. But a year or two from now if they have thier act together on the hardware I will get one and catch up on Gears, BioShock, etc.

cougartrace
01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
If you are looking for online play and more games, then 360 is the way to go.

If not and you want blu-ray, then PS3 would be the way to go.

twinzs
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Nope...I was going to buy one about 6 months after launch but I had multiple friends who got RROD by that time. Some are on their 3rd or more console by this point, which is a joke to me. I don't feel like dropping hundreds of dollars so I can cringe everytime I turn the thing on wondering if it's going to break. But a year or two from now if they have thier act together on the hardware I will get one and catch up on Gears, BioShock, etc.

I probably would wait too if I already have a ps3. The newer ones coming out are suppose to have the problem fixed but of course you can't be sure until about a year after they've been out

Ink
01-27-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm still on my first

Frinky
01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Right now the 360. A year + plus from now maybe the PS3 if they lower the price.

gcamm
01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm still on my first

You're one of the lucky ones. I will say this, though: MS has never made me wait more than about a week for a replacement, and they've never made it difficult to request repair/replacement. I guess they have come to expect a certain failure rate, and try not to give you any grief when it comes.

DSET
01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
If you are looking for online play and more games, then 360 is the way to go.

If not and you want blu-ray, then PS3 would be the way to go.
and free online gaming

my main answer to people for this is
look at the exclusive lists for both companies and go wit the console that has the better exclusives that youre looking forward to

if ure just in it for sports and any games
get the system which controller you prefer= 360

if youre all about online gaming and community go 360
if you dont want to pay 80-100 for online go ps3

if you want the slight edge in graphics and power for future realeases go ps3

Red X
01-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I don't know. Here's my personal opinion. I am addicted to online gaming, Resistance, Warhawk, COD4 and I own a PS3 only. I am more than happy with my purchase and playing with my buddies doesn't cost me a dime.

biglebowski9999
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm really surprised that many 360 owners are still clinging to the "better games" argument. It was valid a year ago...not so much this year. I think PSN has a long way to go in catching up to Live but the whole games argument is as outdated as the "price" argument now, IMO.

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 09:40 AM
The games that I like are for my PS2 and will pick up for the PS3 are
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto

To my knowledge these two games are exclusive for the PS3

Games I would like for the Xbox are that are Exlusive's are

The Halo games, all of them also 1 and 2 since I did not buy the original Xbox consol at all.
Gears of War

Other games I also would like are
Call of Duty 4
Mass Effect
Blacksite
Dead or Alive 3 (xbox) and 4
Assasins Creed
Resistance Fall of Man

Bullseye
01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Right now the 360. A year + plus from now maybe the PS3 if they lower the price.

The 40gig is already great value for what you get why would it need to be any lower.:confused:

If you mean that prices will come down across the board then fair enough.

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
What about download games?

The games I would like to download if available are

2D Beat em Up games like Fatal Fury and Street Fighter games like SF3, World Heroes.

Probotector and Super Probotector

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Are there any pages available to check out what download games Sony and Microsft have available?

thecallahan
01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
The games that I like are for my PS2 and will pick up for the PS3 are
Final Fantasy
Grand Theft Auto

GTA isn't exclusive, and DSET, it costs no more than 50 per year to get XBox Live and usually you can get it cheaper than that.

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 10:14 AM
DSET what is that?

thecallahan
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Another posters username.

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info Cal.

Spatial.Archite
01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Since this thread is a "vs" I figured it'd be fun to compare the individual aspects of each system... sort of let them go head-to-head.

Appearance
Winner: 360
I much prefer the matte white over the piano black. The black shows fingerprints and smudges to a degree that it's almost insane trying to keep it clean. I do have to admit, I like the new Ceramic White PS3 that'll be released shortly, but I've yet to see it in person so I'll reserve judgment.

Controller
This one's mostly preference, but it just seems to fit my hands better and feels more ergonomic than the PS3 controller. I don't like how the "bumper buttons" are set so high on the 360's controller though; I have to remove my index fingers from the triggers and shift them up to hit it. They're just in an unnatural position, but other than that the controller just "fits" my hands better.

System Menu
Winner: PS3
The Xbox Dashboard works, but it's overly complicated and has ads that irritate me. The PS3's display is simple, easy to navigate, and uncluttered. This one's not even really close in my opinion.

Media
Both systems can stream media from your PC (or Mac with the right software), but the PS3 has more ways for you to get media onto the system itself. Not to mention the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player right out of the box. The PS3 has better file support, and with Home it'll have an intuitive way to share media with friends. The PS3 also has a web browser which the 360 lacks completely.

Hardware
There's arguments, but the PS3 is simply more powerful. I'm not sure how many examples we'll see, but it's the truth. The PS3 is hampered by being so powerful as it's complex to develop for and with most games being multi-platform it's easier to port the game from the 360 with usually no improvements (and sometimes operating issues that need patched). Still, the PS3 is the more powerful system.

Games
This is where the 360 really shines, it's had a head start and is easier to develop for. It has a much larger installation base, it just gets more games without question. So far the PS3 exclusives haven't really shined while the 360 has had some stellar exclusives.

Online Gaming
You pay for it but the 360 has better servers, a better community aspect, and they just make it simple and easy to play games online. Microsoft's created the standard for online gaming and, right now, everyone's basically emulating it. There's more content on the 360, it's just a solid experience.

Reliability
Not even remotely close. Even if you believe Microsoft's estimates of the 3% failure rate (which I don't) then the Xbox is still over 3 times as likely to fail, and in reality it's much more likely than that.

Honestly, the 360 gets most of my gaming hours, but the PS3 is much closer to being my "media hub" than the 360. I'm glad I have both, I prefer the 360 for now because of the game selection and quality. This could change in the future, but I don't see it changing for quite a while due to the 360 having a much larger market share. Then again, if I would have replaced my 360 a couple of times I think I'd give up on it.

biglebowski9999
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Very good review. I would agree w/ just about everything there.

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 10:53 AM

I'm a huge MGS, Tekken, and FF fan so I stick with Sony.:thumbs2:I'm a game guy. I dont care who makes em as long as there good I want to play them. If I could afford it I would buy all consoles as they all have good games but alas this is not the case. I look at the games library in the first place and since I play at least half of the time online that's also a factor. On both accounts Xbox360 is the way to go for me. The more fps friendly controller is also a nice bonus.

This is how it is for me. I quoted Red X just to point out the difference in customer type.

ps: I also enjoy the achievement system for 360 games alot

Collection King 13
01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
PS3 :buttrock:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Barrydbarnes/comparingcanyi1.jpg

CocoPUFF
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM

I own both. 360 has more games at this point due to the headstart they had, and a better online system.

The PS3 is a more powerful machine and might take out the 360 in the future...

But right now the 360 gets more playing time from me personally. By the way I haven't had a problem with either of my 360 consoles (I have 2). And no problem with the PS3 either.
But I know that Biglebowski agrees with me that the 360 has a better warranty! LOL

:)

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
PS3 :buttrock:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Barrydbarnes/comparingcanyi1.jpg

Good arguement, were it not for the false priced Xbox items :thumbs2:

The 360 is $350. the wireless adapter is $99 and the play and charge is $20. the hd dvd is $180 though and the xbox live $60 for 13 months. You don't need as much Space on the hard drive because the 360 has more compressed files.

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
The PS3 is a more powerful machine and might take out the 360 in the future...It's true that on paper the PS3 is slightly more powerful. Yet when you compare most multi platform games the PS3 versions are equal to the 360 versions, at best. Most are slightly inferior in one way or another (Cod3, Orange box, Virtua fighter 5, Rainbow six, Assassins creed,...). I find this strange but then again I'm no hardware expert. I would suspect that when it's a port from 360 to PS3 this could be expected but it's both ways :confused2

Collection King 13
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Good arguement, were it not for the false priced Xbox items :thumbs2:

Not False priced... Original price... look at the PS3... it doesnt cost $649 anymore...

cougartrace
01-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Not False priced... Original price... look at the PS3... it doesnt cost $649 anymore...

all those prices in that pic are overpriced..at most the wireless adapter costs $99

Collection King 13
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
all those prices in that pic are overpriced..at most the wireless adapter costs $99

Once again I will say this word... ORIGINAL pricing not current.

and even if you put the pricing now... you still spend more on the Xbox then the PS3...

Bullseye
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Their is no price argument IMO. There may have been at the start but its not an issue now.

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Not False priced... Original price... look at the PS3... it doesnt cost $649 anymore...Then what's the point? :peoples:

biglebowski9999
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
But I know that Biglebowski agrees with me that the 360 has a better warranty! LOL

:D

Collection King 13
01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Then what's the point? :peoples:

THe point is the Xbox STILL Costs more!

thecallahan
01-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I want to play a few games for PS3, especially that Drakes Uncharted Island game but I absolutely hate the PS3 controller. I hated it when it was the same design for the PS1 and PS2 and they haven't done anything to upgrade it at all. That really hampers my ability to enjoy games (a bad controller).

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
THe point is the Xbox STILL Costs more!Only if you buy it to watch HD movies, so for me it doesnt apply :)

Granted, it's a nice bonus though :thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I want to play a few games for PC, especially that Drakes Uncharted Island game but I absolutely hate the PS3 controller. I hated it when it was the same design for the PS1 and PS2 and they haven't done anything to upgrade it at all. That really hampers my ability to enjoy games (a bad controller).It's not that I hate the PS3 controller but you have a valid point. Today there are so many fps's on consoles that a fitting controller should be standard. I like the PS controllers but I hate playing fps's with them :thumbsdow

Worth mentioning, there's a controller announced for PS3 (FragFX) that has a part kinda like the nunchuck part of the wii controller and a mouse with mousepad kind of thingy attached to it. Could be perfect for fps's but remains to be seen when released.

TheGreyOne
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't own a PS3... and probably will never... but I just don't get the one is better than the other argument... so yeah... I'm a Neutral... :)

thecallahan
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Ugh, just realized I put in PC and not PS3, mah bad :laugh:

cougartrace
01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Ugh, just realized I put in PC and not PS3, mah bad :laugh:

well the PC is still the best gaming platform :confused2

ansel39
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
well the PC is still the best gaming platform :confused2

not mine giantvirusinfectedpeiceofstoopidtrojanvirus :banghead:

RichBamf
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I've owned all three next gen consoles and all three have broken down, the PS3 after 3 weeks and the Wii after 4-by comparison my 360 lasted two years, but still broke.

I think that all 3 consoles are good in their own way, but my personal ranking is:

1. 360
2. Wii (mainly cause Vicki and I can play together and have a great laugh)
3. PS3-IMO there just isn't anything unique about it.

DSET
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Ive always always believed sony to be better at getting exclusive titles and more of them
A- because of the money
B- because the sucess from the PS2 devolopers had will continue to have

look at the diff reviewers most aticipated games for 08 (and make notE which games are exclusives
for xbox
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/847/847779p2.html

and ps3
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/847/847851p1.html

lets be honest here ps3 has more and a better list
but agian thats subjective based on what type of games you like

360 didnt note lost odessy which is out in febuary and to me Thats a huge one im looking forward to

Red X
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm not here to claim one is better than the other. I just prefer my PS3 more. It has a stronger 2008 line up, awesome exclusives titles that I love, online is free, comes with a built in blu-ray player, and most of my friends own it.

Juggernaut
01-28-2008, 06:39 PM
A three month Live membership cost 39.00$ here in Denmark what does it cost in America?

Sgt Taz
01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
A three month Live membership cost 39.00$ here in Denmark what does it cost in America?Didnt know there were such big differences. Here in Belgium it costs 60€ for a year.

cougartrace
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
A three month Live membership cost 39.00$ here in Denmark what does it cost in America?

You can get a 13 month subscription in the US for about $50.00. I've seen deals for less, also.

Collection King 13
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
To pay to play online... I think not...

biglebowski9999
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
To pay to play online... I think not...

I agree...that's always been a sticking point for me. You pay enough for the games and the hardware...why would I want to pay to play online?

Model Giants
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I have both systems and I have had my original x-box 360 and have never had a problem with it... That being said I never play my ps3 and I'm constantly playing COD4 on 360... My choice would be the 360 my opinion may change in another year or so when Sony actually gets some descent games out. So far I'm very disappointed in the PS3....

AsOneDead
01-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not here to claim one is better than the other. I just prefer my PS3 more. It has a stronger 2008 line up, awesome exclusives titles that I love, online is free, comes with a built in blu-ray player, and most of my friends own it.

What's this strong line up and exclusives?

Red X
01-29-2008, 09:27 PM
What's this strong line up and exclusives?

Strong 2008 lineup with great exclusives as well as current exclusives such as Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Warhawk, MotorStorm, and for the time being UT3.

But honestly anyone looking at the 360s and PS3s 2008 lineup can vouche for the PS3s being stronger...counting nonexclusive titles or not.

AsOneDead
01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Strong 2008 lineup with great exclusives as well as current exclusives such as Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Warhawk, MotorStorm, and for the time being UT3.

But honestly anyone looking at the 360s and PS3s 2008 lineup can vouche for the PS3s being stronger...counting nonexclusive titles or not.

Yeah, what's the strong line up for the ps3?

Red X
01-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, what's the strong line up for the ps3?

Ok well.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
Killzone 2
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 2
Tekken 6
Fallout 3
Silent Hill 5
Army of Two
Lost Planet
Far Cry 2
God of War 3
Little Big Planet
Grand Theft Auto IV
Soul Caliber IV
Street Fighter IV
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Lego Batman
Borderland
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Lego Indiana Jones
Haze
Dead Space
inFamous
Jak4
ProtoType
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Prototype
Devil May Cry 4
RE5
Condemned 2
Porject Origin
Turok
Dark Sector
New Mortal Kombat game
PS Home
just to name a few...

AsOneDead
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Most of those are on 360 too. But I can't wait for MGS4 :buttrock:

twinzs
01-29-2008, 11:14 PM
not too many from the list I care about I'd rather have the star wars game on the wii. I think GTA will be best on the ps3. I'm very excited about FF13 :buttrock:

God of War 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Lego Batman
Final Fantasy XIII

Red X
01-29-2008, 11:17 PM
not too many from the list I care about I'd rather have the star wars game on the wii. I think GTA will be best on the ps3. I'm very excited about FF13 :buttrock:

God of War 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Lego Batman
Final Fantasy XIII

The wii game has the controls. But it cannot match the graphics, and they don't have the awesome effect and physics engine in the wii version!

DSET
01-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Ok well.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
Killzone 2
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 2
Tekken 6
God of War 3
Little Big Planet
Borderland
Haze
inFamous
Jak4
Final Fantasy XIII-(dont think its gonna come out this year
PS Home
just to name a few...

that looks like the exclusive line up
theres two more big ones i cant remember right now

for 360
all i can come up with is
Too Human
Fable 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

guarantee that both platforms have a ton of announcements left
but as of now 360 hasnt slated squat
I hope the rumored Jade Empire sequal is on its way:buttrock:

couple 3rd party games that look phenominal are
Vegas 2
Battlefield bad company
Army of Two
GTA
Far Cry2
Dark Sector
fallout 3
I expect Crysis to be announced soon

twinzs
01-30-2008, 12:03 AM
The wii game has the controls. But it cannot match the graphics, and they don't have the awesome effect and physics engine in the wii version!

It'll be hard for them to really match up your movement to an actual attack but I think it will be much more fun on the wii. Graphics are ncie but have never been inportant to me either I never feel like ba dgraphics take away from a really good game which is probably why I still love the snes games

Spatial.Archite
01-30-2008, 06:20 AM
that looks like the exclusive line up
theres two more big ones i cant remember right now

for 360
all i can come up with is
Too Human
Fable 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

guarantee that both platforms have a ton of announcements left
but as of now 360 hasnt slated squat
I hope the rumored Jade Empire sequal is on its way:buttrock:

couple 3rd party games that look phenominal are
Vegas 2
Battlefield bad company
Army of Two
GTA
Far Cry2
Dark Sector
fallout 3
I expect Crysis to be announced soon

I would say that God of War 3 won't ship this year either. I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt it.

You also forgot
Alan Wake
Halo Wars
Banjo 3 (not sure if this one will make it out this year)
and Splinter Cell Conviction

The PS3 has a few more high profile exclusives shipping for it, but I would say the 360 has the bigger games.

Ink
01-30-2008, 08:20 AM
isn't there a final fantasy game that's 360 exclusive?

Red X
01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
isn't there a final fantasy game that's 360 exclusive?

No.

And this statement: The PS3 has a few more high profile exclusives shipping for it, but I would say the 360 has the bigger games...this confuses me.

Big titles are high profile games. And if all most of us can name for the 360 2008 line up are Halo wars, Fable 2, and Ninja Gaiden 2...that's not good, 360 had 2007 with Halo 3, BioShock, and Mass Effect. Now 2008 is Sony's turn.:thumbs2:

Sgt Taz
01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
But honestly anyone looking at the 360s and PS3s 2008 lineup can vouche for the PS3s being stronger...counting nonexclusive titles or not.I must be looking at different lists then :confused2

Ok well.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
Killzone 2
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 2
Tekken 6
Fallout 3
Silent Hill 5
Army of Two
Lost Planet
Far Cry 2
God of War 3
Little Big Planet
Grand Theft Auto IV
Soul Caliber IV
Street Fighter IV
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Lego Batman
Borderland
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Lego Indiana Jones
Haze
Dead Space
inFamous
Jak4
ProtoType
Final Fantasy XIII
Prototype (?)
Devil May Cry 4
RE5
Condemned 2
Porject Origin
Turok
Dark Sector
New Mortal Kombat game
PS Home
just to name a few...Most of those are multi platform and looking at the past, most multi platform games have been equal on both platforms at best, most slightly better in one way or another on 360 and I'l not even get into the achievements part. Ofcourse developers are slowly but surely learning to work with the PS3 hardware so the differences in multi platform games should be getting ironed out as time goes on...I hope.

biglebowski9999
01-30-2008, 09:48 AM
I would say that God of War 3 won't ship this year either. I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt it.

You are correct...it's not due until 2009

The PS3 has a few more high profile exclusives shipping for it, but I would say the 360 has the bigger games.

That makes absolutely no sense, lol.

Sgt Taz
01-30-2008, 09:50 AM
You are correct...it's not due until 2009Same as Resi5 btw :(

RichBamf
01-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I definitely think PS3 are going to have the better year for exclusive games this year.

Only thing that worries me is that I doubt all those games WILL come out this year, some of them are BOUND to be put back.

biglebowski9999
01-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I definitely think PS3 are going to have the better year for exclusive games this year.

Only thing that worries me is that I doubt all those games WILL come out this year, some of them are BOUND to be put back.

You got that right...Death, Taxes & Game Delays is how the saying goes, lol.

Spatial.Archite
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
No.

And this statement: The PS3 has a few more high profile exclusives shipping for it, but I would say the 360 has the bigger games...this confuses me.

Big titles are high profile games. And if all most of us can name for the 360 2008 line up are Halo wars, Fable 2, and Ninja Gaiden 2...that's not good, 360 had 2007 with Halo 3, BioShock, and Mass Effect. Now 2008 is Sony's turn.:thumbs2:

The PS3 has some big games, but Halo Wars is likely to completely slaughter any game the PS3 puts out this year simply be having the name Halo in the title. Keep in mind that Killzone and Resistance were both viewed to be "alright" games, not something I think of when I think of big games. The Game Rankings score rates Killzone at 73% and Resistance at 87%... not what you'd define as "great". The Final Fantasy series has long been considered in decline since VII (though my personal favorite was III in the US, I think it was VI overall).

I would also say that, despite Konami's denial, MGS 4 might not stay exclusive. Unless Sony's ready to pony up a lot of money, or Konami can accept the actual possibility of taking a loss, they may have no other choice from a financial standpoint. The publisher has already stated they need to sell 1 million copies on day one due to its extreme production costs. That's going to be tough considering the PS3 only has two or three games that are million sellers since release. Not to mention the previous installments of MGS sold around 3.5 - 4 million, but that was on a system with over 100 million units out there. There's no confirmation, but the general theory is that MGS cost in the neighborhood of 40 - 50 million to create.

Either way it doesn't matter to me, I've never cared for the MGS series. The game I'm most interested in is Little Big Planet, but I don't see that one flying off of the shelves. After Tekken (though the series isn't what it used to be) and Haze the PS3 exclusives don't seem that appealing to me.

I think the 360 has a better lineup this year than the PS3, but I think Sony's main benefit will come next year. Third-party exclusives are pretty much going to be a thing of the past 'cause it's not going to be in any way beneficial to restrict your audience that much. When games aren't exclusive the PS3 has a chance to shine as the stronger system with more to offer (as long as developers invest the time).

El Diablo
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
just buy both that way it doesn`t matter which is best :thumbs2:

biglebowski9999
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
The PS3 has some big games, but Halo Wars is likely to completely slaughter any game the PS3 puts out this year simply be having the name Halo in the title. Keep in mind that Killzone and Resistance were both viewed to be "alright" games, not something I think of when I think of big games. The Game Rankings score rates Killzone at 73% and Resistance at 87%... not what you'd define as "great". The Final Fantasy series has long been considered in decline since VII (though my personal favorite was III in the US, I think it was VI overall).

I would also say that, despite Konami's denial, MGS 4 might not stay exclusive. Unless Sony's ready to pony up a lot of money, or Konami can accept the actual possibility of taking a loss, they may have no other choice from a financial standpoint. The publisher has already stated they need to sell 1 million copies on day one due to its extreme production costs. That's going to be tough considering the PS3 only has two or three games that are million sellers since release. Not to mention the previous installments of MGS sold around 3.5 - 4 million, but that was on a system with over 100 million units out there. There's no confirmation, but the general theory is that MGS cost in the neighborhood of 40 - 50 million to create.

Either way it doesn't matter to me, I've never cared for the MGS series. The game I'm most interested in is Little Big Planet, but I don't see that one flying off of the shelves. After Tekken (though the series isn't what it used to be) and Haze the PS3 exclusives don't seem that appealing to me.

I think the 360 has a better lineup this year than the PS3, but I think Sony's main benefit will come next year. Third-party exclusives are pretty much going to be a thing of the past 'cause it's not going to be in any way beneficial to restrict your audience that much. When games aren't exclusive the PS3 has a chance to shine as the stronger system with more to offer (as long as developers invest the time).

:rolleyes:

You started off well the other day w/ your comparison of the pros/cons of the two systems. And now this...

HelloKinky
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Well it's true it makes sense if you're in the industry you'd understand that it makes no sense to be exclusive these days because you want your product to sell as much as possible, and that happens by being available on as many platforms as possible.

DSET
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM

You also forgot
Alan Wake-
Halo Wars
Banjo 3
Splinter Cell Conviction-Not exclusive

:confused: :confused:
How?
hOw can you compare
MGS4
GT5 one of the highest selling titles of all time (Halo wars is not halo 3 we have no reason to believe it will push thoose kinds of numbers)
Killzone2(is becoming a highly commercialized game)
and you Especially have no argument if the possibility GoW2 and FF make it this year

to what???
Alan Wake, Fable2 and halo wars
360 titles so far these aren’t they’re big guns
I think gears2 may be coming and if so then u have an argument otherwise so far 360 hasn’t slated anything huge
Fable sold less than 4million copies with two different editions of the games over a course of 2 years
Hack and slash games (too human ninja gaiden) don’t put up big numbers especially on a system that doesn’t sell at all in the foreign market.
And as for Halo wars we don’t know much about it yet we have no reason to believe it will be huge or or fail.

DSET
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Just because the FF games aren’t as good as its predecessors you think they aren’t going to sell?
Doesn’t matter if its 7/10 game or 9/10 game it will be the biggest seller in the Asian market period. Then GT5 and MGS will follow, you fail to realize that what made ps2 was its dominance not only here but in foreign market, and that is who these games will appeal most to.

BTW I believe God of War 3 has a better chance of coming out this year than Final fantasy. I don’t think FF will be ready this year

I don’t know where you got you’re numbers on MGS from
MGS2 sold over 7 million copies on PS2s over the coarse of how long- I’m not sure, but that’s just it for metal gear it continues to sell and sell its not just launch date, Its just like halo I guarantee Halo3 will still be selling by next year.
And MGS2 came out pretty much in PS2s launch year OCT 2000 MGS2 came out Nov 2001 and PS2 didn’t sell more than 9 million units by this time. However im sure that MGS2 sales were not 7milion in its launch year.
MGS3 sold 3.5 million copies when PS2 had 70million units shipped this is because it wasn’t commercialized as well, also the main reason it didn’t sell as good as MGS2 is because it was the second title on the console. MGS4 being the first title on PS3 and the last metal gear title, plus it is being marketed more than MGS2, IMO it will put up 2-4million copies over 1 year, and as of now PS3 has almost 10million sales if MGS4 can sell to little under 40% of its owners I think its doing its job, also the online feature may have a key role in its sales this time around but personally I have no faith in its online play.

Just because the developer MAY or may not take a loss doesn’t mean its not going to boost ps3 sales and put up numbers.
ALOT of video games take a loss after production.

And I think you underestimate what GT5 is, its PS3s biggest Gun.
GT4 sold 1million its first week
10million total
GT3 sold 15million total
And 6 million in its first year considering the amount of ps2s sold by that point that’s a HUGE number

Just because killzone1 wasn’t an amazing game doesn’t mean part 2 won’t be.
If the graphics in Killzone 2 are as groundbreaking as they look, and they prove exactly what it shows at a good frame rate this game will be popular no matter what. But I agree resistance and kill zone original games haven’t proved to be groundbreaking but killzone2 is being hyped like halo and if it has decent game play and the revolutionary graphics that it shows it will add some serious numbers, I’m NOT saying halo numbers but still numbers.

And halo wars isn’t going to sell 1/5th of Halo3 numbers IMO (I’m sure I’m wrong but its just a feeling I have)
Majority of the halo universe doesn’t care for that style of game play; the halo nerds will follow the rest wont care.
COD4 currently has more online players in total than HALO3 does; it’s already beginning to loose its interest because it’s the same game year after year, and when you take away the online community for halo you take away everything its got. IMO this is why Bungie left because Microsoft wasn’t giving them freedom and they were forced to push the same engine the same freaking thing again and again. Now that they are on their own Im sure the 3rd party titles they release will be innovative and highly visual. Halo4 may be still on contract for Microsoft and will continue to be the same game over and over.

I am guessing that Gears of War 2 will be announced for this year if they can keep it 360 exclusive , \Fable 2\gaiden 2\too Human\Halo Wars will be the big guns of 2008

As of now
ps3 has the better line-up for 2008
After the conventions 360 may have a better line up

marvelboi77
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I've not bought either yet. But just from looking at what's out. 360 would be better. But I'm inclined to buy the PS3 when they get games I want then they will be better. But right now 360 is the better gamer.

Spatial.Archite
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Just because the FF games aren’t as good as its predecessors you think they aren’t going to sell?
Doesn’t matter if its 7/10 game or 9/10 game it will be the biggest seller in the Asian market period. Then GT5 and MGS will follow, you fail to realize that what made ps2 was its dominance not only here but in foreign market, and that is who these games will appeal most to.

BTW I believe God of War 3 has a better chance of coming out this year than Final fantasy. I don’t think FF will be ready this year

I don’t know where you got you’re numbers on MGS from
MGS2 sold over 7 million copies on PS2s over the coarse of how long- I’m not sure, but that’s just it for metal gear it continues to sell and sell its not just launch date, Its just like halo I guarantee Halo3 will still be selling by next year.
And MGS2 came out pretty much in PS2s launch year OCT 2000 MGS2 came out Nov 2001 and PS2 didn’t sell more than 9 million units by this time. However im sure that MGS2 sales were not 7milion in its launch year.
MGS3 sold 3.5 million copies when PS2 had 70million units shipped this is because it wasn’t commercialized as well, also the main reason it didn’t sell as good as MGS2 is because it was the second title on the console. MGS4 being the first title on PS3 and the last metal gear title, plus it is being marketed more than MGS2, IMO it will put up 2-4million copies over 1 year, and as of now PS3 has almost 10million sales if MGS4 can sell to little under 40% of its owners I think its doing its job, also the online feature may have a key role in its sales this time around but personally I have no faith in its online play.

Just because the developer MAY or may not take a loss doesn’t mean its not going to boost ps3 sales and put up numbers.
ALOT of video games take a loss after production.

And I think you underestimate what GT5 is, its PS3s biggest Gun.
GT4 sold 1million its first week
10million total
GT3 sold 15million total
And 6 million in its first year considering the amount of ps2s sold by that point that’s a HUGE number

Just because killzone1 wasn’t an amazing game doesn’t mean part 2 won’t be.
If the graphics in Killzone 2 are as groundbreaking as they look, and they prove exactly what it shows at a good frame rate this game will be popular no matter what. But I agree resistance and kill zone original games haven’t proved to be groundbreaking but killzone2 is being hyped like halo and if it has decent game play and the revolutionary graphics that it shows it will add some serious numbers, I’m NOT saying halo numbers but still numbers.

And halo wars isn’t going to sell 1/5th of Halo3 numbers IMO (I’m sure I’m wrong but its just a feeling I have)
Majority of the halo universe doesn’t care for that style of game play; the halo nerds will follow the rest wont care.
COD4 currently has more online players in total than HALO3 does; it’s already beginning to loose its interest because it’s the same game year after year, and when you take away the online community for halo you take away everything its got. IMO this is why Bungie left because Microsoft wasn’t giving them freedom and they were forced to push the same engine the same freaking thing again and again. Now that they are on their own Im sure the 3rd party titles they release will be innovative and highly visual. Halo4 may be still on contract for Microsoft and will continue to be the same game over and over.

I am guessing that Gears of War 2 will be announced for this year if they can keep it 360 exclusive , Gears \Fable 2\gaiden 2\too Human\Halo Wars will be the big guns of 2008

As of now
ps3 has the better line-up for 2008
After the conventions 360 may have a better line up

Look at it this way, the 360 has a much higher game attachment rate than the PS3. So the average person that owns a 360 buys several more games than an average PS3 owner. Then when you consider there's almost twice as many 360s as there are PS3s, matching software sales is a huge stretch. You also have to include the people who bought a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player and have little to no interest in gaming (nobody bought a 360 because of HD-DVD).

It doesn't have to be a great game to sell very well on the 360. Halo 3 was a good game, but it wasn't a great game, and look at its sales numbers. For these games to attain around half of Halo 3's sales on the PS3 you're looking at 50% market penetration worldwide...

And yes, Splinter Cell Conviction is Xbox 360 exclusive: http://www.videogamer.com/news/23-01-2008-7324.html

As you said, the Final Fantasy title could be the biggest seller in the Asian market... but there's less than 2 million PS3s in Japan (around 1.8 million). 50% is a VERY high market penetration for any game in any market, but even at that it wouldn't sell 1 million copies in Japan.

And I think Killzone 2 will be more overlooked than the original; remember it being hyped as the "Halo killer" then sort of hit with a thud? It wasn't that long ago and the recent hype remind me very much of how the original was played up before its release.

I'm not saying the PS3 won't have better games (though from the responses you'd think I was not only doing that, but burning PS3s, lol), but I think it's extremely likely that you'll get three games this year for the 360 that will handily outsell the highest selling PS3 game.

And I'll repeat it; it's been a trend for years, and it will continue, exclusive games are becoming a thing of the past because production costs have risen drastically. Limiting your audience now could create huge financial issues given the amount of cash invested in each game. This generation that really works out to Sony's advantage as they have the better, more reliable console, but right now the truth is they're still in a distant third.

Bullseye
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Alot of the XBox fanboys have a mental block that the XBox is out a full year before the PS3. It would be a sad state of affairs if the PS3 had the same amount of games for it. I am SURE the PS2 games sales are more than making up for the short term loss the PS3 maybe causing Sony. By the end of 2008 the PS3 will be a games console its owners will not be ashamed to own. As a media hub its on a different planet to other devices.

Juggernaut
01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
I think it's wrong for Micrsoft to want money for there online gaming.

You already pay for the consol, the games, and the internet.

PS3 will have as many games out as Xbox 360

further more Sony also price drops there games faster than Microsft wich Makes sony's games more affordable.

cougartrace
01-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I think it's wrong for Micrsoft to want money for there online gaming.

You already pay for the consol, the games, and the internet.

PS3 will have as many games out as Xbox 360

further more Sony also price drops there games faster than Microsft wich Makes sony's games more affordable.

yes, but xbox live is so much better than the PS3 online right now. Sony hasn't spent near enough time building the online service like they should.

Bullseye
01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
yes, but xbox live is so much better than the PS3 online right now. Sony hasn't spent near enough time building the online service like they should.

The Xbox is out longer. Give them time.:thumbs2:

HelloKinky
01-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Well let's see how things roll when the PS3 gets to hit the year mark. And let's hope by then they'll eventually release HOME.

cougartrace
01-30-2008, 07:21 PM
The Xbox is out longer. Give them time.:thumbs2:

Wasn't XBOX LIVE already pretty good soon after the XBOX came out:confused:

cougartrace
01-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Well let's see how things roll when the PS3 gets to hit the year mark. And let's hope by then they'll eventually release HOME.

I'm not really into that Social Networking thing they are trying to build.

Collection King 13
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM

But you have to PAY to play! :banghead:

Bullseye
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM

No idea. Both are excellent but since both were released a year apart it is unfair to compare the consoles on the amount of games they have or their online gaming experiance IMO.

Why not compare the hardware? The future possibilites of each console with FW upgrades?

Frinky
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Collection King 13 Quote:

But you have to PAY to play!

Less than $4.00 a month is too much? And they also have a silver membership which is free.

Collection King 13
01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Less than $4.00 a month is too much? And they also have a silver membership which is free.

$4 a month is too much... I already have to pay for an ISP and to pay to play... Forget that... I'll stick with my PS3 and play for free! :thumbs2:

cougartrace
01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
No idea. Both are excellent but since both were released a year apart it is unfair to compare the consoles on the amount of games they have or their online gaming experiance IMO.

Why not compare the hardware? The future possibilites of each console with FW upgrades?

I agree that the PS3 has more possibilities. They could make it great

Bullseye
01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
What percentage of players play online? Was there ever a survey? Its not as though the broadband infrastructure is all that great around the world at present.

DSET
01-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Look at it this way, the 360 has a much higher game attachment rate than the PS3. So the average person that owns a 360 buys several more games than an average PS3 owner. Then when you consider there's almost twice as many 360s as there are PS3s, matching software sales is a huge stretch. You also have to include the people who bought a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player and have little to no interest in gaming (nobody bought a 360 because of HD-DVD).

We were not arguing which is or will sell more we were arguing that ps3 has the better line-up, better and Bigger.
But I do agree I think 360 sales will continue to be better
In rebuttal I believe MGS4 and GT5 and possibly FF will help PS3 to come within a decent amount of unit sales to catch up with 360 sales which is @ 16.7 right now.
And as it stands now ps3 has 8 or 9 million sold I’m not sure I read on nextgenwars 8 and VGcharts 9.6

It doesn't have to be a great game to sell very well on the 360. Halo 3 was a good game, but it wasn't a great game, and look at its sales numbers. For these games to attain around half of Halo 3's sales on the PS3 you're looking at 50% market penetration worldwide...

Again we were not saying that ps3 was going to outsell 360 titles we were sating they’ve got more and better exclusives this year.

And yes, Splinter Cell Conviction is Xbox 360 exclusive: http://www.videogamer.com/news/23-01-2008-7324.html

Nice find:thumbs2:
This may be true
But there has been much confusion over this back and fourth since last may
So I wouldn’t believe it until I see it posted on IGN or somewhere trustworthy.
Chances are it is probably just a timed exclusive along with every other tom Clancy game, but if it is that’s a big feather in 360’s hat.

As you said, the Final Fantasy title could be the biggest seller in the Asian market... but there's less than 2 million PS3s in Japan (around 1.8 million). 50% is a VERY high market penetration for any game in any market, but even at that it wouldn't sell 1 million copies in Japan.

Yes but you’re missing the point
People buy systems when the games they like come out on that system, on the launch of Final fantasy 10 PS2 sales in Japan picked up, same thing will happen with Gran turismo and MGS this is what they are all about there.
As it stands hardly anyone in the Pal and Jap region have bought nextgen consoles its not going to last, the European market will buy a PS3 to play GT5 and the Japs will buy system to play MGS4 FF and GT5.
Everybody knows big games push systems and considering nobody in the foreign market has hardly bought a system yet they most likely will soon.

And I think Killzone 2 will be more overlooked than the original; remember it being hyped as the "Halo killer" then sort of hit with a thud? It wasn't that long ago and the recent hype remind me very much of how the original was played up before its release.

Yes I remember and I agree I hope they’ve done some work on their game play element but all I’m saying is if it’s graphically phenomenal and game play is decent it will equal some good numbers. I’m also saying they are marketing Killzone 2 like crazy look at heavenly sword it’s a sub par game and yet it sold 750k copies, and assassins creed selling 2million copies on the ps3 was also astronomical, the better games on the ps3 uncharted and ratchet sold 1 million each. And don’t even get me started on what marketing does for Halo.

I'm not saying the PS3 won't have better games (though from the responses you'd think I was not only doing that, but burning PS3s, lol), but I think it's extremely likely that you'll get three games this year for the 360 that will handily outsell the highest selling PS3 game.

I agree again I thought we were just talking about more and better exclusives, the only way a ps3 game will outsell a 360 game next year is if its GT5 if the Pal and Jap region start to buy PS3s just to play these games you could se huge numbers especially considering the recent price drops. But yes I highly doubt a PS3 game will outsell the big 360 games.

And I'll repeat it; it's been a trend for years, and it will continue, exclusive games are becoming a thing of the past because production costs have risen drastically. Limiting your audience now could create huge financial issues given the amount of cash invested in each game. This generation that really works out to Sony's advantage as they have the better, more reliable console, but right now the truth is they're still in a distant third.

IMO they are not that distant
They sold almost as many PS3s as 360 sold in its first year they are right on par in unit sales. They just need to increase their game sales, last Christmas PS3 and 360 were almost on par in unit sales and now PS3 has become what XBOX was to PS2, Ps3 just has to catch up and if MGS4\GT5\FF bring in console sales I’m sure PS3 will be within a million or two behind 360 this year. Especially since the world is beginning to give up on HDDVD now PS3as a BD player sales are going to continue and if anything get stronger when HD merges or croaks.

Bolds

HelloKinky
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Actually yes it was. Initially when you received a free month it was pretty up and running. I remember playing Crimson Skies right away.

You also have to remember, yes they charge but this is what helps propel the service forward. Much like how WoW charges a monthly fee. People always ask, why?! And their answer is that if they didn't charge they wouldn't maintain it, and always be fighting people that try to hack into the games trying to mess with the servers and what not.

Sony would have a hard time getting that going, and most of the time it's each game companies that are running their own maintainance for each games, unlike Microsoft who is letting the developers work but also assisting in all that online stuff.

snappahead
01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Man, these arguments are so pointless. They show up all the time and go no where. Why? Because it's an argument that can't be won. Everyone has their picks and nothings going to to change that. Why bother? Pick your poison and be happy. Why's that so hard? Why does one have to be "better" than the other? If you're a serious gamer (and can afford it)..you'll get both and be happier for it.

Arguing about which lineup is better? Has there ever been a more meaningless argument than that? It's pointless. Not everyone is going to like the same stuff, therefore you can't prove that a lineup is better than the other because it's all depending on the games you like.

I have both..I like both. They're both great consoles. What else is there to say?

Red X
01-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I myself feel that 2008 is the year the PS3 will grow into it's own. 2007 was mostly dominated by 360, and 2008 just looks to be much brighter for the PS3. many of the great sequels and exclusives are arriving, as well as another price drop and new models, more movie companies backing Blu-ray as the exlcusive format, and HOME is launching.

I also feel that this year PS3 will close the gap between itself and the 360 and the Wii. I don't see the PS3 "winning" or being the most successful console yet out of this gen. But I see it as being much more competition for the Wii and 360, as previously due to lack of hardware and price point. Anbd that is enough to make me happy.

DSET
01-30-2008, 09:11 PM
i know i know weve gone through this before

but all that started this was that PS3 has a huge line-up this year
and yes it is huge-er than 360s
so far that is
especially when you consider what 360 has slated its not exactly the big genres that most look forward to on the system

to me its a huge point the best way to decide which system you want is look at the games that you like that are only available for that system and get the system with the majority of them.

same thing went BD and HD

DSET
01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I myself feel that 2008 is the year the PS3 will grow into it's own. 2007 was mostly dominated by 360, and 2008 just looks to be much brighter for the PS3. many of the great sequels and exclusives are arriving, as well as another price drop and new models, more movie companies backing Blu-ray as the exlcusive format, and HOME is launching.

I also feel that this year PS3 will close the gap between itself and the 360 and the Wii. I don't see the PS3 "winning" or being the most successful console yet out of this gen. But I see it as being much more competition for the Wii and 360, as previously due to lack of hardware and price point. Anbd that is enough to make me happy.
to me I feel that this year will define if ps3 is going to catch up in unit sales or not
if GT5 and MGS4 and FF dont bring them within a small margin of the 360 its gonna play out the way XBOX did to PS2 and PS3 will trail to the end, unless millions of people buy PS3 as their BD player.

snappahead
01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
i know i know weve gone through this before

but all that started this was that PS3 has a huge line-up this year
and yes it is huge-er than 360s
so far that is
especially when you consider what 360 has slated its not exactly the big genres that most look forward to on the system

to me its a huge point the best way to decide which system you want is look at the games that you like that are only available for that system and get the system with the majority of them.

same thing went BD and HD

That's it. That's ALL that matters. And since that's all that matters, gamers should want to buy both if they can. More gaming goodness that way. Brand loyalty's about the stupidest thing in the world and it only hurts you in the end. Not referring to you, DSet, but anyone who bases their entertainment decisions on the name on the box rather than what is actually available to them.

Spatial.Archite
01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Alot of the XBox fanboys have a mental block that the XBox is out a full year before the PS3. It would be a sad state of affairs if the PS3 had the same amount of games for it. I am SURE the PS2 games sales are more than making up for the short term loss the PS3 maybe causing Sony. By the end of 2008 the PS3 will be a games console its owners will not be ashamed to own. As a media hub its on a different planet to other devices.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of the 360 or Microsoft as a whole, just sort of pointing out some of the logistics. I've admitted a few times that the PS3 is the better console in several areas. I also wasn't talking about the amount of games out for either system, I was talking about the amount of software you can move on the respected consoles.

The fact is that the 360 is still outselling the PS3 most weeks. Meaning that the gap between the two is continuing to widen. So not only is it easier, and more likely, to move more software on the 360, unless sales trends alter a bit more it looks like that trend could continue.

Yes the 360 had a years head start, and despite the improvement in sales for the PS3 they're still not gaining ground on the 360.

As a whole, I hope that Microsoft gets slaughtered in this generation, and that they'll have to step out of the console wars altogether. I'm all for competition, but I feel that Microsoft is looking for a monopoly on the media hub/video game industry. That's why they don't mind taking the huge losses they've incurred since they stepped into the video game arena; they're looking ahead to the point where they'll have control over most of our media.

Bullseye
01-31-2008, 07:28 AM
That maybe the case in the US but not everywhere else. The PS3 is unbeatable in Japan (discounting the Wii) and is selling like hotcakes in Europe.

But i agree with Snappa. This is an argument which cannot be decided. Just enjoy whichever games console you play and don't worry about fanboys from either side. Both are great consoles.

Spatial.Archite
01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
That maybe the case in the US but not everywhere else. The PS3 is unbeatable in Japan (discounting the Wii) and is selling like hotcakes in Europe.

But i agree with Snappa. This is an argument which cannot be decided. Just enjoy whichever games console you play and don't worry about fanboys from either side. Both are great consoles.

I don't know if I'd say the PS3 is unbeatable in Japan, more that the 360, like its predecessor, is slightly above dead in Japan, lol.

Unfortunately the U.S. far and away makes up the largest market for Video Games. I'm more than comfortable with the PS3 beating the 360 in sales, I just don't foresee it happening this year, but hopefully next.

biglebowski9999
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't know if I'd say the PS3 is unbeatable in Japan, more that the 360, like its predecessor, is slightly above dead in Japan, lol.

Unfortunately the U.S. far and away makes up the largest market for Video Games. I'm more than comfortable with the PS3 beating the 360 in sales, I just don't foresee it happening this year, but hopefully next.

You do know that the PS3 has outsold the 360 in total Worldwide sales for the last 5 or 6 weeks in a row, right?

cougartrace
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I think that PS3 will win this for awhile..most people already have an XBOX..

it's the game sales that really matter (supposedly and that's why the Wii can't be a contender)

abarron
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM

My thinking exactly.
I love my PS3 and wouldn't even think about getting a 360 but i can see why people like/dislike both consoles though

Red X
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
to me I feel that this year will define if ps3 is going to catch up in unit sales or not
if GT5 and MGS4 and FF dont bring them within a small margin of the 360 its gonna play out the way XBOX did to PS2 and PS3 will trail to the end, unless millions of people buy PS3 as their BD player.

But that's just the thing those 3 games alone not counting the other great exclusives and games, will sell a lot more consoles...and really crush the "PS3 has no good game" arguement for good and extreme 360 owners can't argue price point anymore, plus BD is looking to be the winning format. Looks like people are running out of things to rank on about the PS3, and some fanboys on the other consoles are starting to sweat about it.

biglebowski9999
01-31-2008, 11:36 AM
But that's just the thing those 3 games alone not counting the other great exclusives and games, will sell a lot more consoles...and really crush the "PS3 has no good game" arguement for good and extreme 360 owners can't argue price point anymore, plus BD is looking to be the winning format. Looks like people are running out of things to rank on about the PS3, and some fanboys on the other consoles are starting to sweat about it.

Exactly. I literally had a guy last week on another board write about 3 paragraphs about why the 360 "looked better" than the PS3, as if that is some kind of big selling point, lol.

Fact is, price and games are no longer an issue. Some like to pretend it still is, but it doesn't hold any water. The PS3 is already starting to close the gap in sales. If I was arguing for the 360, the ONLY thing I would be talking about is Live, because it is better than PSN. But I don't think that will last forever, either. Sony will continue to work to improve it, and I enjoy have free online gaming w/ no ads.

Sgt Taz
01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
and some fanboys on the other consoles are starting to sweat about it.You should know :rolleyes:

HelloKinky
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Uh well an american console was never doing well. Xbox always seemed to cater more to American gamers.

And I can say any system is unbeatable if I discount any other system it's competing with...:rolleyes:

HelloKinky
01-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah cause somehow everyone's buying a Wii that's surpassing sales of every other system but those same people don't play any games on them! :rolleyes:

Even the DS is beating other consoles but yeah I won't get into that cause it's a portable and a lot cheaper. Oh wait there's the PSP too I forgot that was competing against it.

I think that PS3 will win this for awhile..most people already have an XBOX..

it's the game sales that really matter (supposedly and that's why the Wii can't be a contender)

Sgt Taz
01-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I also read that the Wii consoles are selling like crazy but game sales are not following. Probably the gimmick that wears of after a while. Then again Super Mario Galaxy has super sales. Either way hat's off to Nintendo for taking a different route...not that they had much choice but I'm glad to see it worked out for them.

I wouldnt buy a Wii for that reason (I suspect I will grow tired of the gimmick fast) but if my kids get a little older and they want one I would sure consider it (as a family thing, not for the die hard gaming that is my passion).

cougartrace
01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I also read that the Wii consoles are selling like crazy but game sales are not following. Probably the gimmick that wears of after a while. Then again Super Mario Galaxy has super sales. Either way hat's off to Nintendo for taking a different route...not that they had much choice but I'm glad to see it worked out for them.

I wouldnt buy a Wii for that reason (I suspect I will grow tired of the gimmick fast) but if my kids get a little older and they want one I would sure consider it (as a family thing, not for the die hard gaming that is my passion).

We have the Wii and the gimmick controllers get old to kids his age (10-18). They are the core gamers. Its true that Wii isn't selling games. According to game "experts", it's game sales that drive the console popularity and long term success.

HelloKinky
01-31-2008, 03:01 PM
And who are these "game experts"? Almost every "major" game site and it's writers love the Wii. Aren't they "game experts" too?

It's usually the old guys that say the Wii is a gimmick yet my friends and I, that are within the 18-33 demographic love the Wii. And to call them gimmick controllers? I don't see how you can get tired of playing like that, it's not like you actually exert yourself to play and if you think you do then you haven't really spent time with the system nor it's games. And you only follow what you read or what other people tell you.

I can understand the need for better graphics and what not, but that isn't what gaming equates too.

But then again it's sold out everywhere so I'm not sure how any who talks about it in that way has actually had any real hands on time with it rather then just a Best Buy store display. Or wait they don't even let you play the Wii at shops that I've see so I'm not even sure of that.

Sgt Taz
01-31-2008, 03:06 PM
And who are these "game experts"? Almost every "major" game site and it's writers love the Wii. Aren't they "game experts" too?

It's usually the old guys that say the Wii is a gimmick yet my friends and I, that are within the 18-33 demographic love the Wii. And to call them gimmick controllers? I don't see how you can get tired of playing like that, it's not like you actually exert yourself to play and if you think you do then you haven't really spent time with the system nor it's games. And you only follow what you read or what other people tell you.

I can understand the need for better graphics and what not, but that isn't what gaming equates too.

But then again it's sold out everywhere so I'm not sure how any who talks about it in that way has actually had any real hands on time with it rather then just a Best Buy store display. Or wait they don't even let you play the Wii at shops that I've see so I'm not even sure of that.I guess it's preference. I've played on the Wii on occasions at friends but we didnt play long, everyone got tired of it after a while. I guess for us it's not like you see in the commecials :)

And yeah nobody is deniing it's sold out, the console at least. It's the game sales that fall short at the time being.

cougartrace
01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I guess it's preference. I've played on the Wii on occasions at friends but we didnt play long, everyone got tired of it after a while. I guess for us it's not like you see in the commecials :)

And yeah nobody is deniing it's sold out, the console at least. It's the game sales that fall short at the time being.

The production of the Wii isn't as much as the XBOX or PS3.

HelloKinky
01-31-2008, 03:11 PM
I hear ya Taz, I mean only until recently have more games hit. Medal of Honor 2, Trauma Center 2, Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, No More Heroes and soon Smash Brothers, Ghostbusters, and Mario Kart and so forth. So far I'd say a bit stronger then the PS3 is doing with all the same developers it has with the 360 and others. But again like you said preference, that's why I have the other two as well.

But I don't see the Wii as cheap thrills either.

The production of the Wii isn't as much as the XBOX or PS3.

What does that even mean?

If you mean that by it's not such a complex system as the other two are, then wouldn't that mean they would be pumping more out and there would be plenty on the shelves?

Sgt Taz
01-31-2008, 03:17 PM
If you mean that by it's not such a complex system as the other two are, then wouldn't that mean they would be pumping more out and there would be plenty on the shelves?I think he means the opposite, that less Wii's are being produced than 360's/PS3's so they sell out easier.

HelloKinky
01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I think Nintendo intentionally holds on to them to create more of a demand. And for some reason the site just crashed whoa. Anyways.

Spatial.Archite
02-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think Nintendo intentionally holds Wii shipments back to increase demand, the demand is still way out there. Also, the Wii does have solid software sales, but most of the games are Nintendo Products. As far as million+ selling titles the Wii (17) far exceeded either the Xbox 360 (6) and PS3 (7) in their first year. But 15 of those titles are made by Nintendo.

With demand this high it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to hold shipments back unless they decided they don't like money, lol.

cougartrace
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm just going off information that I received watching a gamer show.

They said that Wii game sales were much slower and the games don't sell as much. They said this determines the end success of a console.

The Wii has it's good qualities. But, I wish it supported Dolby 5.1 and had somewhat better visuals. I don't like the controls either as much.

Sgt Taz
02-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Also, the Wii does have solid software sales, but most of the games are Nintendo Products. As far as million+ selling titles the Wii (17) far exceeded either the Xbox 360 (6) and PS3 (7) in their first year. But 15 of those titles are made by Nintendo.

I'm just going off information that I received watching a gamer show. They said that Wii game sales were much slower and the games don't sell as much. They said this determines the end success of a console.

I also read on game sites (IGN, Gamespot, 9lives...) that Wii software sales are slow. Wii consoles are sold most but a PS3 or 360 owner buys more games for his console than a Wii owner...or so I read.

Spatial where do you get your info?

biglebowski9999
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
The Wii has stepped it's game up slightly in the games department. They are all Nintendo titles of course, but sales are sales.

This is a good site to follow for console and software sales. Here are the U.S. sales for last week. Bear in mind, Wii Sports is #1 because they count this pack-in as a sale. And Wii Play is #2, which I personally would not count because it has an extra Wiimote packed in so you get the games for only $10. Nobody would buy that shovelware on it's own if it didn't have the remote. Anyway, even throwing out those two...the Wii is more than holding it's own.

http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

Collection King 13
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
So How much fun are the Wii's?

cougartrace
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM

it all depends, CK.

My son (who is almost 11) and his friends grew real tired of the controls gimmick. That and no online and shabby graphics don't help.

Now, if you have young children it's the way to go.

Red X
02-01-2008, 11:58 AM

I haven't touched mine since Metroid Prime came out, so it's been months and months, they are that fun.:peoples:

Collection King 13
02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
it all depends, CK.

My son (who is almost 11) and his friends grew real tired of the controls gimmick. That and no online and shabby graphics don't help.

Now, if you have young children it's the way to go.

So it would be good for my 7 year old? He has a Vtech and a Leapster L-Max...

Collection King 13
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I haven't touched mine since Metroid Prime came out, so it's been months and months, they are that fun.:peoples:

:laugh: sounds like a blast! :D

cougartrace
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
So it would be good for my 7 year old? He has a Vtech and a Leapster L-Max...

maybe for a couple of years..they have zero online at the moment.

and that Mii stuff is just stoooopid.

Collection King 13
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

He doesnt care much about online... he only likes the computer for Nick online.... and my super nintendo emulator... thats about it...

superdoug
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
He doesnt care much about online... he only likes the computer for Nick online.... and my super nintendo emulator... thats about it...

Now, I have a Wii, and I admittedly don't play it very often. (I'm actually trying to get Jim to use it, because of the health benefits of some of the Wii Sports/Play features.) However, if your son loves your Super Nintendo Emulator, you might consider the Wii. Through their online store (you'll have to buy a 20-buck USD Wi-Fi station specific to the Nintendo systems), you can download all kinds of classic NES games like the original Zeldas, Mario Brothers, and stuff like that.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Or whatever it's going to be called) is supposed to be the Wii's first true online attempt (outside of Pokemon), so that's going to be a big factor in future Wii sales, I think.

That being said, I also own a PS3 (which we bought for the BD aspects), and love it. I just can't bring myself, for some reason, to give an XBox a try. Not even on those trial consoles at the Gamestop. Which is even weirder when I think of how badly I wanted to play Fable when it first came out. :confused:

Spatial.Archite
02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I also read on game sites (IGN, Gamespot, 9lives...) that Wii software sales are slow. Wii consoles are sold most but a PS3 or 360 owner buys more games for his console than a Wii owner...or so I read.

Spatial where do you get your info?

Same site BigLebowski posted. You can filter the results for Million sellers per console. Last I checked, the PS3 had 7 games that were million sellers, the Wii had 17, and the 360 had 33 (though with a definite head start).

I think a large part of the slow software sales for the Wii (mainly regarding 3rd-parties) has to do with game quality. There's over 20 million Wiis in the world, if you make quality games you'll probably sell a few. Consumers aren't stupid though; they won't flock to games that are just a cash-in on the popularity of a system.

HelloKinky
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Again shows how much you know. While the Nintendo really screwed the pooch in terms of an online service, (it's not even as good as the PS3's) they do have online. Smash Bros and Mario Kart will all be online, Mario Strikers, Pokemon and other games at the moment are online as well. Playing them with friends is fun but the service isn't. Nothing like LIVE but I mean if you want to play Mario Kart or Smash Bros with friends you can and it's there and it works.

Like someone said, there's no point in arguing about what's what because you can own all of them. And even then the Wii is inexpensive and just another system to play. I have my Xbox for the same guys you guys have, but those games get tiring as well. Besides to me a lots of other games aren't always about graphics when controls and length of a game suck. I mean I rather buy used PS3 and 360 games cause paying $60 for a 6 hour game and never playing it again? I don't see the point. If I do I just resell it myself.

cougartrace
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
gain shows how ]Amuch you know.[/B] While the Nintendo really screwed the pooch in terms of an online service, (it's not even as good as the PS3's) they do have online. Smash Bros and Mario Kart will all be online, Mario Strikers, Pokemon and other games at the moment are online as well. Playing them with friends is fun but the service isn't. Nothing like LIVE but I mean if you want to play Mario Kart or Smash Bros with friends you can and it's there and it works.

Like someone said, there's no point in arguing about what's what because you can own all of them. And even then the Wii is inexpensive and just another system to play. I have my Xbox for the same guys you guys have, but those games get tiring as well. Besides to me a lots of other games aren't always about graphics when controls and length of a game suck. I mean I rather buy used PS3 and 360 games cause paying $60 for a 6 hour game and never playing it again? I don't see the point. If I do I just resell it myself.

like I said Wii has on online to speak of right now :thumbs2:

HelloKinky
02-01-2008, 04:27 PM
If by that you mean they can't add random people you play to your friends list or chatting I guess not. But no online whatsoever, no, they do. You can send messages to each other, buy games off the net like the Arcade, send photos and such from your SD cards and so on AND play each other with certain games.

I think if you're going to give information out about something you should be more specific. Unless you are inadvertently trying to sway them away from it by not being clear. :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should be vague.

Sgt Taz
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
If by that you mean they don't have friends lists or chatting I guess not. But no online whatsoever, no, they do. You can send messages to each other, buy games off the net like the Arcade, send photos and such from your SD cards and so on AND play each other with certain games.

I think if you're going to give information out about something you should be more specific. Unless you are inadvertently trying to sway them away from it by not being clear. :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should be vague.You can send messages but there are no friends lists? I didnt know that, I actualy thought you had a friends list. How does that work if you would want to play with a real life friend, how do you find each other? Just meet on the same server?

HelloKinky
02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
You can send messages but there are no friends lists? I didnt know that, I actualy thought you had a friends list. How does that work if you would want to play with a real life friend, how do you find each other? Just meet on the same server?

Ahhh!!! Now I'm being incorrect! Cougar is contagious! Ok what I mean is that so far you have to swap console numbers in order to add friends to your list. You can't go to a server or lobby for a game and just add people this is where it's retarded. So you can play random people but you can't add them.

And to play your friends in certain games you have to swap friend codes that the games give you just like the console gives you.

So yes you add your friend and console codes and if you see them on you can play them on whichever game they might be on. The downside to all that is that you can't add anyone you might meet along the way.

DSET
02-21-2008, 12:23 AM
J

I am guessing that Gears of War 2 will be announced for this year if they can keep it 360 exclusive , \Fable 2\gaiden 2\too Human\Halo Wars will be the 360s big guns of 2008

i knews it
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/853/853482p1.html

AsOneDead
02-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Hell yeah! :buttrock:

Ink
02-21-2008, 04:43 AM
i knews it
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/853/853482p1.html

hell yeah :buttrock:

AsOneDead
02-21-2008, 06:03 AM
You should create a new thread for GOW2 D, people don't check this thread.

Ink
02-21-2008, 06:48 AM
You should create a new thread for GOW2 D, people don't check this thread.

I should go pre order my copy

DSET
03-14-2008, 03:33 PM
sorry to bring up a dead thread

but give sony credit
i never thought the monthly console sales would be higher than 360's this early

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17865

granted they are both not selling much but never the less i didnt expect to see this for a long time

Kujo
03-14-2008, 09:06 PM
360 easy.... Since xmas, i've bought nothing new for PS3.... until GT5:P that is!