PDA

View Full Version : Silly Putty question

Afterburner
01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
When you use it for a mask it will obviously get some paint on it.

Can you re-use the putty without the paint messing up the statue, or do you use fresh putty all of the time?

ickwinzs
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
re use over and over!!!

Afterburner
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Nice, just what I wanted to hear!

Do you buy it online, or at a store?

boondocksaint
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
re use over and over!!!

like more than once? :confused2

:thumbs2:

ickwinzs
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
wall mart, while your there be sure you pick up devcon plastic welder, the best glue for kitbuilding!!!

riderV3
01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
wall mart, while your there be sure you pick up devcon plastic welder, the best glue for kitbuilding!!!

In which department?

The model section with all the paints or with the super glues?

ickwinzs
01-29-2008, 01:22 AM
the glue is in the home inprovment section, I think it was right accross the isle from the rattle can paint. In mine at least

riderV3
01-29-2008, 02:16 AM
the glue is in the home inprovment section, I think it was right accross the isle from the rattle can paint. In mine at least

Sounds like the Super Glue section.

Man thanks for posting that, I'm desperate for a strong glue, no adhesive so far can meet my need other than a few 2 parts epoxy but they're still pretty weak and don't even talk about the smell...

Going to look that up tomorrow!

JSA
01-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Why doesn't anybody ever ask a serious putty question? :peoples:

Ba-da-ching! http://www.emofaces.com/en/smilies/d/drumming-smile-drum-kit.gif

JS :o :laugh:

Vince-Vell
01-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I went to the crayola web site and bought a 5lb box of silly putty. Costs like $70 but i think that box will last me 10 years. I had no choice cause the wall marts and targets near me only had 3 in stock every 5 months.

They also sell eggs of the stuff, which is smaller quantities but will be more expensive in the long run.

Afterburner
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM

JS :laugh:

Booooo...

riderV3
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM

JS :laugh:

Post of the year! :laugh:

riderV3
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Okay found it, right across rattle can isle!:thumbs2:

But why is the whole thing black, is the color of the compound black also?

ickwinzs
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
no one is clear and the other yellowish, I put some on an envelope mix it with a toothpick then use it up before it gets to hard

riderV3
01-30-2008, 12:01 AM
no one is clear and the other yellowish, I put some on an envelope mix it with a toothpick then use it up before it gets to hard

Just like all other two part epoxy.

Does it emmit strong oder?

Last time I bought a 2 part plastic based acrylic "Plastic Fusion" by Super Glue company and oh my geebus that is THE worst oder I've ever had in my whole stinky life...:banghead:

ickwinzs
01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Just like all other two part epoxy.

Does it emmit strong oder?

Last time I bought a 2 part plastic based acrylic "Plastic Fusion" by Super Glue company and oh my geebus that is THE worst oder I've ever had in my whole stinky life...:banghead:

I have used this also, the plastic welder smells close but ne quite as strong.

DanPerezStudios
02-02-2008, 12:54 AM
like more than once? :confused2

You can reuse it several times. Just knead it to blend the old paint in. After a while you will find that it is being affected by the amount of paint in it, so you will probably want to get a new batch. But you will get a lot of use out of it.

One note: do not spray Dullcote on Silly Putty as the putty will get very soft and gummy as a result.

ickwinzs
02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
you got that right Dan, then its a real pain to get out of some spots!!

Bartholomew
02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
To the silly putty buyers, does 1 dollar for one of those red eggs filled with putty a good price?

Vince-Vell
02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
To the silly putty buyers, does 1 dollar for one of those red eggs filled with putty a good price?

Hmm depends on what you plan to cover. If you working on a FS pieces, and lots to cover etc.. May need a few eggs.

if i were you, get like 10 - 20 eggs, pop em all open and throw them in a ziplock bag or something like that. Always nice to have more then what ya need. Cause nothing sucks more then puttying up a piece and running out of putty....:banghead:

Vince-Vell
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
One note: do not spray Dullcote on Silly Putty as the putty will get very soft and gummy as a result.

Only time i do this is when the putty is on its way to the trash and need to mask off areas to do a gloss coat. It melts the putty, but if you give it dry time, it will be able to come off like normal. But doesnt work well for a reuse.

Which is why i have two containers of putty. Newer stuff and the older gunked up putty.

riderV3
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Which is why i have two containers of putty. Newer stuff and the older gunked up putty.

And you should dump out those gunked-up putty instead of keeping them in a container. :laugh:

Vince-Vell
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
And you should dump out those gunked-up putty instead of keeping them in a container. :laugh:

NEVER!!!!!!

Mauh uahuah ua auhu aa hu ahu aauauahua hua

DanPerezStudios
02-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Only time i do this is when the putty is on its way to the trash and need to mask off areas to do a gloss coat. It melts the putty, but if you give it dry time, it will be able to come off like normal. But doesnt work well for a reuse.

Cool, I will have to remember that. Thanks!

Lexesbenz
02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
What type of glue is that? is it epoxie based?