PDA

View Full Version : Conan the Phenomenon

scott
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Any one else get this? So far pretty good readhttp://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/scottpacker/conanbook.jpg

Nitefall
02-01-2008, 12:35 AM
I saw it scott but didn"t get it. Now wish I had. I am reading Blood & Thunder by Mark Finn -- a biography about REH. Only read 10 pages so can't comment except to say it seems well researched. published in 2006. would have liked to compared the two books. Will probably pick yours up later. Saw Arnold's pic on back and kinda turned away. Like him in a lot of movies but just never saw him as Conan. Hope that does not offend any one.

scott
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I saw it scott but didn"t get it. Now wish I had. I am reading Blood & Thunder by Mark Finn -- a biography about REH. Only read 10 pages so can't comment except to say it seems well researched. published in 2006. would have liked to compared the two books. Will probably pick yours up later. Saw Arnold's pic on back and kinda turned away. Like him in a lot of movies but just never saw him as Conan. Hope that does not offend any one.
Maybe after I'am done with this I'll have to check out this Blood & Thunder in which you speak of.:thumbs2:

Barbarian
02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Saw Arnold's pic on back and kinda turned away. Like him in a lot of movies but just never saw him as Conan. Hope that does not offend any one.

As a wise man on this forum once said, "Arnie was made for two movies, The Terminator and Conan". I have to agree with his statement. The original Conan is one of my favorite movies ever, even with the cheesy 1982 special fx.

So, scott...what exactly is the premise of this book?

scott
02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
As a wise man on this forum once said, "Arnie was made for two movies, The Terminator and Conan". I have to agree with his statement. The original Conan is one of my favorite movies ever, even with the cheesy 1982 special fx.

So, scott...what exactly is the premise of this book?

So far the forward by Moor**** is a little bit about REH & a little bit about Conan. The rest of the book looks like a history of Conan from Pulp to Art to comics to movies. Seems there is a lot of reading, so I will post more once I finish it.:)

Barbarian
02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Sounds great. I look forward to it. Thanks.

'Nuff
02-01-2008, 06:32 PM
First I've seen of it...Looks interesting ta me...:thumbs2:

Sinatra VonDoom
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I almost picked this up, but was waiting to hear a review. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when done.

protector2814
02-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Scott. Just ordered this. :thumbs2:

bruiser72
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I was interseted in this but wanted to head to the bookstore and browse through it first before i purchased. Keep us updated a review always helps.

Vracula
02-02-2008, 03:14 AM

I am very offended!you are in the minority my man!you and the other 2 guys who dont think that arnold WAS CONAN should never show up in a conan thread again.DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!

LOL just playin!

Nitefall
02-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Yes Vracula. I always really liked Arnold's muscular development though - even before he used the juice. When he took a weekend fling from the army and went to London for the Mr Universe at age 18 or so and wowed everyone I was totally taken. Guess the image of Arnold the bodybuilder was so burned in my brain. Him not being Conan in my eyes is of course my failing -- not his. But in spite of that still really liked the first movie. Now I better get otta heah!:thumbs2:

scott
02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Well just finished the book. I will say it is a very thorough book on the history of Conan. It breaks down each of stages of the character's trip from book to art to comics to movies & beyond. Being a big fan of Conan, I knew most of history From REH,Camp & Carter. I now understand the whole story of the rights of Conan stories having seen all the people that helped or hindered the barbarian's legacy. The book has many lists to help track down any story. Artwork is great,but nothing I have not seen before. All in all A good coffee table book. Would have liked to seen more collectables pictured. From one to ten I'd say maybe seven at best.

Barbarian
02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Scott. Now knowing what the book consists of, I think I'll pass. Like you, I'm a long time Conan fan, and I believe it would simply be rehashing the information I've already assimilated.
PS: Love the avatar. :thumbs2:

Sledge Hammer!
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, that about lines up with what I've read elsewhere, that the book is solid enough, but hardly all-encompassing or revelatory in any way, at least for those already familiar with Howard and Conan's multi-medium based histories.

It's a shame, back when this book was announced I was hoping it'd be something extra special, too bad it's merely a solid and workmanlike piece of work. Still, I imagine those not quite as familiar will find some value in it all the same.

Teague
02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm a huge Conan fan, and while I'm glad to have this book, I'm also glad to have gotten it at a steep discount. It's good, not great.

patrickwm68
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
How's your dust jacket? Mine was peeling so I'm trying to get a replacement.

protector2814
02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Just received mine from Amazon. The forward by Moorc0ck was worth reading. I like this book alot. Very comlete in terms of the older book and pulp covers (the Gnome Press art 10 Weird Tales covers, lots of Barry Smith art and more). I've seen lots of them in drops and drips before but never so many in one place. Lots of Robert Howard pics I've never seen. This, so far, seems a winner to me. Very complete, seems to cover everythinig, even the cartoon. Much better than Conan The Ultimate Guide to the World's Most Savage Barbarian, which was way too heavy on the Dark Horse additions. Worth every penny.

Finished it. Having never read a REH bio, I really enjoyed this book. A great mix of Conan and REH history. Very inclusive. Only thing that bugged me....no mention of Clay Moore's fantastic Barbarian sculpt nor the Frazetta Snow Giants sculpt. They should have been included and were out there when this was written.

protector2814
02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Unsettling rumour out there that Rob Zombie wants to take a crack at directing the new Conan movie. Yikes. Here's the skinny -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35547

Barbarian
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Unsettling rumour out there that Rob Zombie wants to take a crack at directing the new Conan movie. Yikes.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35547

Yikes, indeed. I think he's a decent director and all. But, I'm not too sure if his vision would fit the Conan I know and love. :peoples:

scott
02-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I think if they just did a movie with all REH Conan short stories it could work. Might be hard to do, but anything that's good always is.

TNovak
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Scott. Now knowing what the book consists of, I think I'll pass. Like you, I'm a long time Conan fan, and I believe it would simply be rehashing the information I've already assimilated.

I bought it and think it is well worth it. Very reasonably priced for a hardcover of this size. Yes it has a lot of "rehash" information to any avid Conan or REH fan, but it has a lot of the original covers and info on the Wierd Tales from the 30's and other info that I at least didn't have. I recomend it and give it 2 Teddy Novak thumbs up :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Barbarian
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I bought it and think it is well worth it. Very reasonably priced for a hardcover of this size. Yes it has a lot of "rehash" information to any avid Conan or REH fan, but it has a lot of the original covers and info on the Wierd Tales from the 30's and other info that I at least didn't have. I recomend it and give it 2 Teddy Novak thumbs up :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Well, T, perhaps I'll have to reconsider. :)

TNovak
02-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, T, perhaps I'll have to reconsider. :)

Well I just got it and have looked it over, haven't read it yet, but I really like the pics of the old Wierd Tales magazines, hadn't seen them before. Also discussions of whether or not Frazetta covers helped sales (duh) and if so by how much (Lin Carter thinks not much, everybody else thought quite a bit, also modern Conan art for the new Dark Horse stuff coming out, and in depth analysis of the movies. Looks like at least a substantial amount of stuff that is new to me anyway. :)

Barbarian
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Well I just got it and have looked it over, haven't read it yet, but I really like the pics of the old Wierd Tales magazines, hadn't seen them before. Also discussions of whether or not Frazetta covers helped sales (duh) and if so by how much (Lin Carter thinks not much, everybody else thought quite a bit, also modern Conan art for the new Dark Horse stuff coming out, and in depth analysis of the movies. Looks like at least a substantial amount of stuff that is new to me anyway. :)

Good to know more details. Thanks again, man. :thumbs2:

TNovak
02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Well I just finished reading it and I may have to revise my recommendation. There is a decent bio of Howard, great rare pics of the original publications that Conan was in (weird tales, etc), and info on the new stuff that Dark Horse is putting out.

But the rest of it, the bulk of it, is the complete history of the spats and fights of various factions over who controlled the property and what they did with it. It was interesting to me up to a point, but it is very long and goes into the minutae of who sued who and so on. Unless you are REALLY interested in Conan, the entire Conan (not just the Howard Conan) then this book probably isn't for you.

Barbarian
02-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Sounds like a riveting read. Glad I didn't jump the gun on this one. Thanks again, TNov. :thumbs2:

TNovak
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a riveting read. Glad I didn't jump the gun on this one. Thanks again, TNov. :thumbs2:

I'm glad you didn't too based on my first impression.

Now you have an in house expert, if you ever want to know why L Sprague de Camp didn't want to let Bantine books to publish just the Howard stories and rushed the Ace PB series into production just ask :thumbs2:

Barbarian
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm glad you didn't too based on my first impression.

Now you have an in house expert, if you ever want to know why L Sprague de Camp didn't want to let Bantine books to publish just the Howard stories and rushed the Ace PB series into production just ask :thumbs2:

:laugh: Will do!

scott
02-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Well I just finished reading it and I may have to revise my recommendation. There is a decent bio of Howard, great rare pics of the original publications that Conan was in (weird tales, etc), and info on the new stuff that Dark Horse is putting out.

But the rest of it, the bulk of it, is the complete history of the spats and fights of various factions over who controlled the property and what they did with it. It was interesting to me up to a point, but it is very long and goes into the minutae of who sued who and so on. Unless you are REALLY interested in Conan, the entire Conan (not just the Howard Conan) then this book probably isn't for you.
Yep, I was all gung ho about this book too. Maybe that's why I felt let down when I was done with it.