PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Moments in Comics

rychehitman
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
What are some of the moments in your experiences in reading comic books were you truly shocked by something on the next page, or the last splash page of the issue?

You know what I mean! Recently, I was pretty shocked during the Avengers Illuminati when it was suddenly revealed that Black Bolt was a Skrull. It was eerie seeing the evil look come across h is normally passive face, and seeing his speak. That is a recent moment that really grabbed me.

How about you?

CA35
03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
The beheading in Walking Dead # 46. Just reminded me of that 1st Al Quida video that was released with that poor guy in it.

lord odin
03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
The beheading in Walking Dead # 46. Just reminded me of that 1st Al Quida video that was released with that poor guy in it.
That was a good one.:thumbs2:

JLM
03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
In Daredevil #260, DD spends a whole giant size issue having the snot kicked out of him. At the end Tyhpoid Mary holds his broken body over a bridge, kisses him, and then drops him, leaving him for dead. :eek:

Juggernaut
03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Wolverine getting his admantium skeleton ripped out of him by Magneto and Charles Xavier making Magneto a vegetable.

JadeGiant
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
the panel where Hammer framed Iron Man for murdering an ambassador ... that one had me in shock!

http://www.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_6405/subcat_11926/Ironman%20%20124.jpg

Endless Wake
03-01-2008, 06:07 PM
In Wolverine Origin when James pops out his claws, I thought for sure Wolverine was the other kid, Dog(Sabertooth?).
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/Wolverine-first-claws.jpg

CessnaDriver
03-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I think Preacher shocked me like every other issue! LOL

Primal
03-01-2008, 08:19 PM
In Wolverine Origin when James pops out his claws, I thought for sure Wolverine was the other kid, Dog(Sabertooth?).

That was a great one! :buttrock:

Primal
03-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Xorn revealed to be Magneto was such a shocker especially seeing as how he had been an X-man for a good while.

I totally had to give it up to Grant Morrison at that point. Just awesome. :buttrock:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6048/magxornjv5.jpg

Endless Wake
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Joker clips BG (the initials work for both personas:) ).
This one really shocked me.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/bolland_brian2.jpg

lord odin
03-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Joker clips BG (the initials work for both personas:) ).
This one really shocked me.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/bolland_brian2.jpg
You know the one thing I never liked about Babs being crippled is why doesn`t she use a lazarus pit to heal herself it worked wonders for Batman and Black Canary.

Mr.Fantastic
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I agree with the Killing Joke.

Also Kraven eating his gun was Shocking.

hellboydce
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Jason Todd killing

Barbara Gordon Shooting

VaultMan
03-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Also Kraven eating his gun was Shocking.

I agree 100%. The same thing with Mysterio...

marvelboi77
03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
When Joker shot Batgirl...

When Sabretooth gutted Psylocke.
When Psylocke died.
When Spider-Woman died.
When Supergirl died.
When Wonder Woman died.
When Phoenix died.
When Jean Grey died.
When Storm died.
When Rogue died.
:bawling:

marvelboi77
03-01-2008, 11:55 PM
You know the one thing I never liked about Babs being crippled is why doesn`t she use a lazarus pit to heal herself it worked wonders for Batman and Black Canary.

She doesn't want to do it.. They covered this in Birds of Prey. I wonder how much the original art would cost to that Killing Joke when she got shot. I know other pages have gone for 15k.

Joechristo
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
There is no moment like ASM 121
I was only 10 years old (Age spoiler)
and my cousin had given me 100's of comics and then I go out and spend 20 cents and I see this!

They kill Spider-Man's true love, WTF!!!

again summing up,
10 years old,
hero's girl dies by his own hand
WTF!!

I have heard people say, "I stopped reading comics after that."
although a little ragged, I still have those 2 books, 121, 122

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/joechristo1/GwenStacy.jpg

lord odin
03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
She doesn't want to do it.. They covered this in Birds of Prey. I wonder how much the original art would cost to that Killing Joke when she got shot. I know other pages have gone for 15k.

It just always seemed like a bad idea to have here in a wheelchair.
I know using a Lazarus pit makes you crazy for a little while but not the Fountain of Essence in Nanda Parbat which I think all Lazarus pits come from.

wktf
03-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with alot of what's been said:

- Death of Gwen Stacy
- Kraven's suicide
- Crippling of Barbara Gordon

Two others that stunned me when I first read them:

- Green Arrow catching Speedy shooting heroin
- Mr. Hyde nearly pounding Jarvis to death in front of a helpless Captain America in the Avengers Under Siege story. Just brutal and shocking.

joy_division
03-02-2008, 12:42 PM
the rape scene in LOEG II

joy_division
03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
does the quality of Miller's writing in AS batman count?

daveyyojimbo
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I would agree with most of those already listed and add the death of Elektra. I was pretty young when I read that and for the time it was rather brutal.

Teague
03-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Good choices so far.

I'd like to add the end of Thunderbolts #1. That was awesome, and pretty shocking.

sketch515
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
when i was younger i read uncanny x-men 250, 251 where at the end of 250 i think they nail wolvie to the "x" i was like no way!

and then at the end of 251 he litterally rips his hands through the spikes. again, damn!!

joy_division
03-02-2008, 02:47 PM
there are a lot of moments in top ten. Commissioner Ultima's attack was one of them

concrete giving birth

RichBamf
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Finding out Invincible's dad is the bad guy in Invincible.

Rorschach's murder by Dr Manhattan in Watchmen.

Seeing Kyle Rayner become Parallax and finally seeing the true power of the Sinestro Corps.

Daredevil going to prison after his secret identity had been revealed.

The finale to 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?'.

Primal
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
The ending to this What If really stands out in my mind from reading it back when I was a kid. Even though it was a "What if" I just remember thinking how bold of a capper it was to a really well-told story. Just a haunting last page. :buttrock:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/440/whatiftk7.jpg http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9269/threatka4.jpg http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3204/nothingfixzt6.jpg

Teague
03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Mr. Hyde nearly pounding Jarvis to death in front of a helpless Captain America in the Avengers Under Siege story. Just brutal and shocking.

Great storyline. That whole thing was shocking.

On a very different note, I was shocked by both the storyline in Hulk: Future Imperfect and The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

wktf
03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Great storyline. That whole thing was shocking.

On a very different note, I was shocked by both the storyline in Hulk: Future Imperfect and The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

Punisher Kills the MU, to me, was too absurd to really be shocking. Punisher: The End, though, had a pretty tough ending. Not shocking like the Jarvis beating in Under Siege but, still, pretty dramatic.

Teague
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Punisher Kills the MU, to me, was too absurd to really be shocking. Punisher: The End, though, had a pretty tough ending. Not shocking like the Jarvis beating in Under Siege but, still, pretty dramatic.

Oh, it's on a completely different level, to be sure, but still, it was a shock.

In a similar vein to PKtMU, there's also the end of Chosen and Wanted.

joy_division
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
preacher moments

Arseface when he removes his helmet

anything that TC does

Herr Starr getting his dick bitten of by a dog

Odin Quincannon's fetish

(although most of these are more comedic than shocking)

I found parts of Maus to be shocking

joy_division
03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
the balls of both dc and marvel to bring back jason todd and Bucky barnes - even though I like winter soldier

joy_division
03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh, it's on a completely different level, to be sure, but still, it was a shock.

In a similar vein to PKtMU, there's also the end of Chosen and Wanted.yeah, I thought about putting down wanted, but it really wasn't shocking to me, more like in the whole flow of the book

killing off thunderbird so early would be one for me. I would loved to have seen more of him

wktf
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I found parts of Maus to be shocking

Maus...there's nothing in the history of comics that can compare to Maus, the only Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel, because it is a reflection of the actual evil man has committed against man.

Good call, jd.

ratchet
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Ground Zero in Hulk - the splash page where the bomb goes off and it shows the faces of everyone in the story...

In Future Imperfect where the Maestro breaks Hulk's neck.

bat_collector
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Wonder woman snapping Max Lord's neck

protector2814
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Wonder woman snapping Max Lord's neck

good one.

malkii
03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Colossus killing himself to cure the Legacy virus...

Teague
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Colossus killing himself to cure the Legacy virus...

Even bigger for me was the realization that Colossus had joined the Acolytes.

Primal
03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
The last page of Infinite Crisis #1 where it was revealed that the original Golden age Superman, Lois Lane, Earth-3 Alexander Luthor & Superboy-Prime :eek: were still around after having been MIA for 20 or so years. :buttrock:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7574/23601by8.jpg

IronFist
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Kyle Rayner finding Alexandra DeWitt stuffed into his refridgerator.

wktf
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Kyle Rayner finding Alexandra DeWitt stuffed into his refridgerator.

Ugh! That was truly awful. :(

joy_division
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Maus...there's nothing in the history of comics that can compare to Maus, the only Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel, because it is a reflection of the actual evil man has committed against man.
Good call, jd.exactly why it is shocking - because it HAPPENED.

I think it would be a great thing if these two books were to be read in every school - be it english and/or history.

the great(or sad thing) thing about Art's masterpiece, is that one one page you find yourself laughing, then you turn over, and you are close to tears.

joy_division
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
realising how real the finale of watchmen is to the real world nowadays

cougartrace
03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
The last page of Infinite Crisis #1 where it was revealed that the original Golden age Superman, Lois Lane, Earth-3 Alexander Luthor & Superboy-Prime :eek: were still around after having been MIA for 20 or so years. :buttrock:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7574/23601by8.jpg

that's exactly why I can't get into this. Earth 3 Alexander :banghead:

wktf
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
exactly why it is shocking - because it HAPPENED.

I think it would be a great thing if these two books were to be read in every school - be it english and/or history.

the great(or sad thing) thing about Art's masterpiece, is that one one page you find yourself laughing, then you turn over, and you are close to tears.

I believe the forum's own Sam Wilson said Maus was used as a text book where he went to school. Don't know if Maus II was part of the program or not.

moon_knight1971
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
The Death of Superman, issue 75, shocked me. You always see the boyscout win somehow someway so it was unexpected to see how it ended. The large, page panels were a nice touch to emphasize the story too IMO.

Bullseye
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Without doubt this. Who would have thought DC would have explored this side of WW.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/WWMax.png

Pogo4321
03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Sue Richards miscarriage.

pendragon
03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Sue Digby being raped by Dr Light
And the entire mindwipe issue from Identity Crisis.

Juggernaut
03-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Rape in a DC Comic book! I did not know something like this could happen in a DC comic.

When did this happen?

pendragon
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Rape in a DC Comic book! I did not know something like this could happen in a DC comic.

When did this happen?

It happened in the Identity Crisis mini a couple years back.

Primal
03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
that's exactly why I can't get into this. Earth 3 Alexander :banghead:

If you read Crisis on Infinite Earths you'd know why ALL of these characters are relevant.

And even if you didnt, Alexander was still a pretty manipulative villain in IC.

cougartrace
03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
If you read Crisis on Infinite Earths you'd know why ALL of these characters are relevant.

And even if you didnt, Alexander was still a pretty manipulative villain in IC.

Primal, I understand you, but what I meant was I couldn't get into all these alternate universes

IronFist
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm sure I'm about to voice another one of those unpopular, about-to-be-added-to-a-lot-of-ignore-lists opinions, but reading Crisis on Infinite Earth is all but an impossibility now.

It's a story from over 20 years ago, starring damn near every DC character from that time (meaning a lot of obscure people I've never even heard of before), most of which whose modern incarnations no longer have any resemblance to the characters they were then.

Batwing
03-04-2008, 09:16 AM
The end of Alpha Flight # 12 (the "pink issue") where Heather walks in to see Vindicator explode and die, engulfed in flames. That was brutal.

Primal
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Primal, I understand you, but what I meant was I couldn't get into all these alternate universes

There were only a few that were really concentrated on back then. No different than the Ultimate & Supreme universes, the negative zone, etc etc.

joy_division
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Hyde's rape was worse

I can't believe I forgot about Battle Royale. I think that this has to be probably the most graphic comic out there. It is chocablock with shocking images and cliffhangers

Sandman: Seasons of mist part 5 is a brilliant cliff hanger

otdirtdog12
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM

In a similar vein to PKtMU, there's also the end of Chosen and Wanted.

The end of Chosen I thought was great. I Honestly did not see that coming during my first read.

Juggernaut
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Hyde's rape was worse

I can't believe I forgot about Battle Royale. I think that this has to be probably the most graphic comic out there. It is chocablock with shocking images and cliffhangers

Sandman: Seasons of mist part 5 is a brilliant cliff hanger

I have meant to get the Identity Crisis and Infinity Crisis on TPB or HC so maybe I buy em soon there is alot of talk about these comic's.

Hyde's Rape?

Is this also a DC comic this happened in?

bat_collector
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

another great one!:thumbs2:

bat_collector
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, when all the students die at the end of X Generation during Age of Apocalypse, especially with Peter refusing to help them out at all.

ABDGUY
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Exactly....:thumbs2:

Primal
03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh, when all the students die at the end of X Generation during Age of Apocalypse, especially with Peter refusing to help them out at all.

Ah yes that was a big shocker there. Very tragic ending. I still remember the look on poor Paige Guthrie's face as Peter left them for dead. :(

Generation Next with Bachalo & Lobdell at their best was such a great mini-series. :buttrock:

Damn I miss AOA. :bawling:

risingstar
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow! All great issues! What to add??

1) Swamp Thing 21 - When it was discovered that Swamp Thing was actually a plant who thought he was a man... I don't think I've ever read as brilliant and as original a perspective on a comic character.

2) Spidey #289: When they killed off Hobgoblin... I was shocked as he was the BEST part of the title at the time. It made no sense to kill him off.

3) Punisher and Archie crossover???

4) Cap chops Baron Blood's head off with his shield. I did not see that one coming at all...

5) Johnny sleeping with Alicia! Holy Cow!

6) Blue Beetle's head getting blown off by Max Lord.

7) Spidey publically unmasks during civil war... I never thought that day would come...

8) Avengers disassembled - She-Hulk tears the Vision apart.

IronFist
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Hyde's Rape?

Is this also a DC comic this happened in?

League of Extrordinary Gentlemen II

Juggernaut
03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

The Dark Side
03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Ditto!

joy_division
03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm sure I'm about to voice another one of those unpopular, about-to-be-added-to-a-lot-of-ignore-lists opinions, but reading Crisis on Infinite Earth is all but an impossibility now.

It's a story from over 20 years ago, starring damn near every DC character from that time (meaning a lot of obscure people I've never even heard of before), most of which whose modern incarnations no longer have any resemblance to the characters they were then.
I read Crisis for the first time when it came out in AE

joy_division
03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Hyde's Rape?

Is this also a DC comic this happened in?Mr Hyde raped Mr Invisible, and the LoEG discovered it as blood started dripping from the ceiling while they were eating dinner(if I recall correctly)

JLM
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Thinking about it, Mina's assault by Griffin in issue 3 of LOEG II is also pretty shocking.

joy_division
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
just flicking thought the book, and dr moreau's version of rupert the bear is pretty eerie