PDA

View Full Version : whats the catch with the exclusive versions.

Shah
03-02-2008, 02:42 AM
At sideshow they release a Exclusive version of there upcoming figures every now and then. Why is the price same . I mean whats the catch?

For example the current item which is getting pre-ordered is When dinosaurs ruled the earth. Now we have two choices either to buy the normal verison or the exclusive version and both have a price tag of 249 $ so obviously who will go for a regular version when the exclusive is for the same price.

There should be some kind of a difference in price or something as i see it . Otherwise a person not interested in the exclusive feature will also pick it up since the price is same so he being not a fan of the exclusive feature will also go for it.

Unfortunately the guy who loves the exclusive feature by heart wont be able to get it since they sell out pretty quickly.

patrickwm68
03-02-2008, 02:59 AM
By offering site exclusives they're luring customers away from the very retailers they're distributing to. I knew of at least one retailer who stopped ordering from them because of this.

dfchang
03-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Well as alluded to in the above post, the "catch" is that you are incorrectly assuming that people only buy from Sideshow.

The non-exclusive versions can ALSO be bought at 15% off at other online stores and shops. So there is in fact incentive NEVER to buy a non-exclusive version from Sideshow since you can always get it cheaper somewhere else.

The EXCLUSIVE version can ONLY be bought from Sideshow so there is no 15% off. There is usually some nonsensical stupid extra that comes with it which is really not worth it. Of course, every once in awhile Sideshow hits a home run and makes up a really cool exclusive like the one with the Hellboy II Samaritan with the LED glowing tracer bullets but this is more the exception than the norm. What is really important is the RARITY of the exclusive as the exclusive is usually a lot smaller edition size than the regular non-exclusive.

That is why many people want the exclusives: because of the extra bonus piece and the relative rarity.

The reason people buy the NON-EXCLUSIVE is for a cheaper price. Remember that a large proportion of the edition size of a non-exclusive has already been parcelled out to the secondary distributors across the country.

MayBee
03-02-2008, 03:45 AM
I ordered the Iron Man bust from another retailer that saved me over $100. If Sideshow had offered an exclusive version of it, then I would buy it from Sideshow instead.

Trilogy
03-02-2008, 06:20 AM
The 'exclusive' is only available through Sideshow themselves. This encourages collectors to order direct.
Often there is a difference in cost between the regular and exclusive, it depends on what the exclusive involves.
Exclusives are more often than not available for some time, giving the collector ample opportunity to place an order if they so wish.

Shah
03-02-2008, 09:45 AM
hmm. Sadly Sideshow wont accept orders from my country which makes it hard for me to collect exclusives . I was lucky to get the Luke and Yoda exclusive from outside.

zoid2323
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I ordered the Iron Man bust from another retailer that saved me over $100. If Sideshow had offered an exclusive version of it, then I would buy it from Sideshow instead.

Me to. :buttrock:

Afterburner
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Shah, are there many collectors in Pakistan?

Are there any statue companies there that you can share with us?

Shah
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Two of my friends do collect whom i know of. One has only spawn and some Neca figures . Other has just started and he is interested in SIdeshow and I dont generally see statue/figures collectors here Hence i would say there Arent Many here.

Nopes no statue companies here :-(