PDA

View Full Version : Are you recession proof?

cblakey1
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Since we are in the throes of a recession with gas and food prices going through the roof, house foreclosures and car repos on the rise, and businesses laying off staff and closing stores, how are you holding up? Are you recession proof?

Are your hobbies and leisure interests affected?

rilynil
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
My hobbies are definitely affected. But a bigger effect on me was having my car insurance and mortgage escrow shortage bill due this month. And it seems like Bowen Designs and Sideshow got together and decided to ship half their new inventory within a six-week period. :banghead: I've had to cancel some things and put some other things on hold.

Plus, I haven't even been the comic book shop for the past two Wednesdays. :( Ouch!

HalJordanFan
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
We downsized today to 6 six people from 13 people over the last 2 years. And my 13 & 5 (soon to be 6) year old both go to private school. So I'm cutting back on what I buy for the time being. I'll grab certain things here and there, but I can't go crazy right now. For awhile I was dropping some serious amounts of cash on this stuff. The house, savings, school etc.. come before my hobbies. I don't use credit cards unless it's a BD purchase, so unlike many I don't have those to think about.

All in all I'm good and it shouldn't affect us, but I feel for some of the people that worked here with me.

lord odin
03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I don`t work for anyone but myself and almost everything is paid off so a recession doesn`t matter to me.

Fremen
03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I live in Canada so we'll see how and if it affects us here.
Alberta Canada in general is booming so I think we'll come out okay even if the rest of Canada suffers.

cougartrace
03-12-2008, 05:01 PM
So far, I'm recession proof (if we are in a recession as there is some debate on that).

My job doesnt' seem to be in peril and I'm contributing as much to my 401k as possible (buy low :buttrock:)

So for now, it's not impacting me one bit.

CocoPUFF
03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
I work in retail so ...no

daveyyojimbo
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
My home is completely paid for, have other assets, we have excellent insurance and very little debt but I still feel nervous.

CessnaDriver
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
My company is hiring by the hundreds, my sports car is paid for, my wifes car is paid for, we have hundreds of thousands in our 401K.
Our house has appreciated well over 100K in the last five years. I have never been paid so much to do my job then now.

You know what I think?
I think it is an election year.

Prepare for Granma eating dog food stories soon.

Ink
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I work in retail so ...no

I work at a grocery store, I'm not goin anywhere

Fremen
03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
God you guys are doing well.

I'm in dept up to my eye balls. Maxed out credit cards, the amount I owe on my house keeps going up instead of down.

Making payments on my jeep every month.
Gawd, I even owe 1500.00 for my damn dog!

Have some money in my RRSPs (401s?) but not hundreds of thousands.

TNovak
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
$1500 for a dog? You gotta be sh!ttin me pyle!!

Fremen
03-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Yup. Petland dog.
Mixed breed to boot.
Even my pure breed border terrier didn't cost that much.

What can I say, I fell in love with her...

CessnaDriver
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
God you guys are doing well.

I'm in dept up to my eye balls. Maxed out credit cards, the amount I owe on my house keeps going up instead of down.

Making payments on my jeep every month.
Gawd, I even owe 1500.00 for my damn dog!

Have some money in my RRSPs (401s?) but not hundreds of thousands.

I was in debt on my credit card badly years ago too.
I just kept working at getting it paid off and then paying them every month in full. I had to make it a priority. I didnt buy a new car and create new debt.
I kept my old one once payed off and kept it running. Sure some of that went on the CC for repairs but in the long run it saved money. I kept putting into 401K even when I owed money. My company has a stock purchase plan, I meagerly put into that even when I owed money and that payed off later.
Credit can be a really great tool for certain periods of your life as long as you get it under control.
Of course I didnt own a house during this time. I was dumping money on rent that went to nobody but the landlords. So you've got that going for you, house debt is generally considered good debt.

There is a lot you can do to reduce expenses if you look really hard and coldbloodedly at how you spend.
I sold stuff I no longer wanted. This was mostly pre-ebay too. It is even easier now.
I remember passing up statues back in the day because I simply had no business buying high end stuff when I owed so much. Of course now there are so many cool statues, thank god there were not so many back then! LOL

It is doable, just takes time and discipline, and work of course. I also looked for a better job that payed more with more room for salary growth too.

lord odin
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I was in debt on my credit card badly years ago too.
I just kept working at getting it paid off and then paying them every month in full. I had to make it a priority. I didnt buy a new car and create new debt.
I kept my old one once payed off and kept it running. Sure some of that went on the CC for repairs but in the long run it saved money. I kept putting into 401K even when I owed money. My company has a stock purchase plan, I meagerly put into that even when I owed money and that payed off later.
Credit can be a really great tool for certain periods of your life as long as you get it under control.
Of course I didnt own a house during this time. I was dumping money on rent that went to nobody but the landlords. So you've got that going for you, house debt is generally considered good debt.

There is a lot you can do to reduce expenses if you look really hard and coldbloodedly at how you spend.
I sold stuff I no longer wanted. This was mostly pre-ebay too. It is even easier now.
I remember passing up statues back in the day because I simply had no business buying high end stuff when I owed so much. Of course now there are so many cool statues, thank god there were not so many back then! LOL

It is doable, just takes time and discipline, and work of course. I also looked for a better job that payed more with more room for salary growth too.
Damn landlords the worst ones are russian they keep talking about blowing stuff up.:banghead:

CessnaDriver
03-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Damn landlords the worst ones are russian they keep talking about blowing stuff up.:banghead:

I rented from a slightly famous lawyer for a few years.
He actually was pretty decent on the rent.
And that is the only good thing I will say about lawyers.

Sambofred
03-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Not worried on my end.

patrickwm68
03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
I've definitely had to rethink my buying. I cut back on my comic books, narrowed down my collection to one or two themes, sold off a number of statues I was no longer attached too, I rarely buy DVD's anymore and actually downsized my DVD collection by about 50 or 60 DVD's.