PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV?

MONSTER
02-21-2005, 03:49 PM
I have to admit I am totally hooked on this show. A reality show about a bunch of guys trying to get into the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). The best part of the show is 2 guys kick the crap out of each other at the end of each show and the loser is eliminated.

BobbyW
02-21-2005, 03:54 PM
The show is starting to get better. I'm waiting to see if the red head guy is as tough as he always claims to be. His eventual match should be a good one!

MONSTER
02-21-2005, 03:57 PM
The show is starting to get better. I'm waiting to see if the red head guy is as tough as he always claims to be. His eventual match should be a good one!

I didn't like the red haired guy at first (what the hell is his name?). Now I hope he whoops that other punks @ss tonight.

Bartman256
02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
My friend was telling me about this. It's on tonight, right?

MONSTER
02-21-2005, 04:01 PM
My friend was telling me about this. It's on tonight, right?

Yeah, you really need to check it out. Tonights episode should be good. Its on tonight at 8:00 (pacific time)

ashley76
02-21-2005, 04:20 PM
What channel does it come on?

MONSTER
02-21-2005, 04:27 PM
What channel does it come on?

Spike TV.

Bartman256
02-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I know the storyline...like I said, my friend was telling me all about it. Tonights the night that guy they been torturing gets to go in the ring against the main a-hole.

When he was telling me this story, I asked if they were to fight outside the ring, what would happen?
He said they would throw the guy out.
Sounds like they've been provoking him to get thrown out.

Collection King 13
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Arghhhh!!! I dont have cable anymore.... They went all digital in my neighborhood and my Hot Box is now Cold!!!! :mad: :banghead:

Bartman256
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Arghhhh!!! I dont have cable anymore.... They went all digital in my neighborhood and my Hot Box is now Cold!!!! :mad: :banghead:

Do the Dish!No complaints here!

Sam Wilson
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I watch it. I'm also a mixed martial arts (MMA) competitor like these guys with 5 fights under my belt. I'm pretty much retired but I do still train some people.

These guys are a joke. They act like a bunch of frat guys. If I had the opportunity they had I woudn't even touch alcohol and would just train. They are training in the best (and one of the only) MMA facilities in the US, with two of the best trainers. That Chris Leben guy is a wus. He cries after someone calls him a name, and this is after he acts like a big bully and pisses on some guys pillow. He can sure dish it out and then takes it like a girl. Typical bully. And for the previews for tonights show he is saying how he is going to cripple his oppenent (Josh K).

That is crap. You never go into the match with the intent to cripple someone. You go in and fight your fight your hardest, if someone gets hurt its just part of the sport. To intentional cripple someone is poor sportsmanship to say the least. That kind of pro wrestling crap gives MMA a bad name. People already think MMA is like pro wrestling, and knucklheads like the one on the show just help the stereotype.

I personally watch the Pride FC MMA events out of Japan. They have higher quality fighters than the UFC does, and they take talent from a more international talent pool. I like their rules better too, and they don't fight in a ridiculous cage, they use a real ring (all the MMA events I fought in were in a ring, well one on a raised platform, but that's another story...).

Doc Sonic
04-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Season 3 premiered tonight. I recorded it. Gonna go watch it now.

Sam Wilson
04-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Season 3 premiered tonight. I recorded it. Gonna go watch it now.

the second season was way better than the first. I'm DVRing the 3rd season, I hope it doesn't become a shamrock vs. tito thing, those guys are freakin' juvenille.

rychehitman
04-07-2006, 12:08 AM
I hope it doesn't become a shamrock vs. tito thing, those guys are freakin' juvenille.

WORD!

Doc Sonic
04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Ken Shamrock was one of my favorite fighters so I am prone to root for his team. I respect Ortiz's skills but I never cared for the guy. I see the rational for putting them up against each other-makes for good t.v., but I agree Sam, I hope it doesn't become all about them.

As for the fighters, I am glad this season includes some internationals. One thing I hate is how arrogant these young bucks are. It seems in this day and age respect has gone out the window and it's all about bragging. Lots of punks on these shows ( ie: Leben).

I think they cast personalities as much as fighting skills. I hope this show doesn't go the way of the Real World (a groundbreaker in it's first few seasons ) and Survivor with formulaic casting where as they need to have the tough guy, the bragger, the drunk, the weird guy, ect...

Anyway, let's hope for some good fights and some good submissions! I'm a grappling fan. I know striking is more exciting because of knock-outs but give me any nicely executed joint-lock any day!

Sam Wilson
04-07-2006, 07:39 AM
doc, we are agreed on shammy. Like him, I think tito is a loudmouth beyotch, and when he boasted he was going to stand with C. Liddel and win, well, we all know how that turned out so fu$# him.

But word, I'll be checking the show out today when my wife is at work, I'll get back to you. I'm looking forward to it...

Doc Sonic
04-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Episode one in the can and so far I pretty much like what I see.

I like the rules changes. The challenges needed to be axed as well as the "you guys have more fighters, you have to give up a man" deal. That was a dumb idea from the start. Finally, we're getting a competition that'll have the finalists be more deserving of being there.

Tito actually came off as a real human being instead of a punk while coaching his fighter who was nervous about the fight ( don't remember all the names yet ). Maybe this guy has some redeeming qualities after all.

I have to agree with Team Shamrock's concern over having a nutritionist instead of a grappling coach. The nutritionist is a nice bonus if you can have more than two assistant coachs but in this instance I think this is a detriment to the team. Let's hope Ken picked some good grapplers because they'll need to be without a coach to help refine them.

Speaking of grappling, I wonder why this show insists on having fighters with little or no grappling skills? Who was the last great fighter you remember who got anywhere without being able to avoid a take down or have an effective guard, escapes, or counter attacks from the guard? I'm dubbing these guys sacrificial lambs. Great strikers they may be but a good grappler will always be able to take a good striker down, get posistion and get a submission (if not just raining down punches until the fight is stopped) . The fights involving strikers with the one or two strike knock-outs are few and far between. These guys are being fed to the wolves.

All in all, good stuff. I think Tito has the edge in coaching intensity and conditioning training ( a big factor in this sport ). I'm looking foward to the rest of the season and some great fights.

Go Team Shamrock!

Sam Wilson
04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
excellent sum up doc, you covered the way I saw it as well. And I'm with you, GO SHAMROCK (even if you are an old man past your prime)... :confused2

Scottsdale Saint
04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
i'm with you guys on the tito and shamrock issues for the most part. two caveats however...

1. don't really care for shamrock giving his 'boys' jobs on the show instead of guys that will actually enhance their training. maybe their's a method to his madness, we'll see.

2. shamrock really needs to quit acting like he's going to throw down with tito everytime they get close to each other. maybe he might've beat tito in his prime but that's long past, and tito pretty much kicked his butt in their one match. leave the macho act out ken, it's old, tired, and it makes you look like a twelve year old.

Ish
04-09-2006, 12:04 AM
i watch it, it's ok.

leks
04-09-2006, 07:08 AM
I enjoy these mmasoaps but I don't like the way ufc is merging this with the actual ufc mma event.

Dana is an ass bringing tito and ken together than making a big hype that they should act professionally and let the past rest, yeah sure, I dont like these conjured up conflicts, real fighters usually dont act like that, so you know rightaway you got a showman on your hands, I dont like that.

The show would be a lot better without that annoying dana but well its his show and ego I guess.

All in all merging what comes out of these shows to the ufc event is a bad thing and ufc is downgrading the overall level of the ufc, which for starters wasnot toplevel.

Ofcourse Dana aint crazy he's trying to attract other interests than the pure fightfan and he is succeeding, but I feel its a big loss. Recently there was an event with I think only tuf fighters come on wtf I am really not paying for that, lol actually I never pay, hehehe.

Still the best fighters already were in pride and pride pays their fighters much better, overall the ufc pays his fighters ****, Dana probably realizes he cannot win that battle and moves on in another direction, probably smart thing, but if this goes on I am also moving on.

Kirk Durfey
04-10-2006, 01:38 AM
The show would be a lot better without that annoying dana but well its his show and ego I guess.
:laugh: Dana White the Vince McMahon of MMA...
The reason I watch the UFC shows is that they are all that is available here. I recently found that there is a One hour Pride show on at 2 in the morning, so I have been watching that.
I don't mind seeing the Ultimate Fighter guys fight, but there are some that are the favorites, and they seem to get an advanage if the fight goes to a decision...

Ish
04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
:laugh: Dana White the Vince McMahon of MMA...
The reason I watch the UFC shows is that they are all that is available here. I recently found that there is a One hour Pride show on at 2 in the morning, so I have been watching that.
I don't mind seeing the Ultimate Fighter guys fight, but there are some that are the favorites, and they seem to get an advanage if the fight goes to a decision...
yup, and so do the winners from the previous seasons.

Doc Sonic
04-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Just finished watching Episode 2 of the new season, or as I like to call it:

Mutiny on the Bounty

This episode showed a little more of the trainers and fighters personalities.

We see that we have some pranksters on Team Shamrock with the whole Noah basketball drama. Their behavior seems to go beyond pranks however and seems more mean-spiritied and bullyish than just innocent fun. Add Jesse's lack of maturity and destructive nature and you have a group of assclowns that are a poor representation of their team.It's unfortunate for me since I'm rooting for Team Shamrock that we have some possible idiots on the team but I'm starting to realize I may be rooting for Ken himself and not necessarily his team.

Speaking of Ken, we see a very big contrast with his and Tito's approache to coaching. Ken seems to be more laid back and is trying not to overwork his team. I think this approach is going to backfire on him. In fact, the poor attitudes he got from Kalib and some of the others is a direct result of his laxidasical training methods. These guys just outright don't repect Ken and it shows.

On the other hand Tito is working the sh*t out of his team and they , for the most part love him. His intensity is transferring to his fighters and I see these guys turning into a bunch of animals ready to shred the opposition. On top of that, the condition they are receiving is going to pay off big time as endurance is a cornerstone to being a MMA fighter.

One thing I don't agree with is Tito's decision to drill Noah before his bout. I know Tito didn't expect anything to happen but there was the chance it could-and it did. They got lucky with this one this time. Hope they learned their lesson.

As for the fight I was impressed. Noah seemed off balance at first and he didn't seem to be following his corner's instructions. Luckily once he was brought down his training took over and he was able to find a way to finish the fight. Jesse showed his inexperience with submissions and left Noah an arm to take. Nice tight armbar, looked painfull.

I have to say I'm glad Noah won. He was the underdog and seems to be have been pegged as the nerd or geek of the house. I root for those types ( big Luke Cumo fan here ) and he deserved his win and some respect. Plus, Jesse just seemed like a punk and got what was coming to him.

With all the unsavory personalities shown on Shamrock's team I am thinking I might have to change my allegiance. Also, Tito once again, came off as a nice , caring guy. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'm just afraid Ken will come off as a old, burnt up has-been. Hate to see your heros die. We'll see what happens...

Doc Sonic
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Episode 3 was similar to Episode 2. More of Team Shamrock is being exposed as lazy punks while Tito's team seems to have the fire and desire.

I know editing has a lot to do with how people are protrayed on these types of shows but I think Ken needs to step it up or Team Shammy is going to get laid out one by one. IF they don't revolt first !

The fight was another sacrifical lamb bout. Another striker ( a stubborn one at that ) falls to a grappler. Don't give up your back! That's one of the first rules of MMA. Real stupid.

I'm offically a Team Ortiz convert. I love Ken but his team just isn't sitting well with me anymore and his coaching thusfar seems subpar.