PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in giving a little tutorial??

galactus
03-28-2008, 08:50 AM
I've had my Canon A530 camera forever, but never really got into anything beyond setting it to AUTO and clicking (I use it mainly for work). I've always wanted to learn how to use it a little better, especially with everyone here taking their fantastic photos.

Would any of the photographers on here like to give a little run down of what effect changing the different settings have (ISO, shutter speed, f-stop...). I am specifially interested in being able to take clear, close up shots of both my statues and artwork, usually indoors with artificial light.

Thanks.

IronFist
03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Watching this thread with great interest. I'm about a year away from being able to invest in anything like an XTi. So, in the meantime, I have a great little pocket jobbie that I'd love to be getting more out of. I take some nice photos with it, but I know I can be doing better.

Mandragora
03-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Watching this thread with great interest. I'm about a year away from being able to invest in anything like an XTi. So, in the meantime, I have a great little pocket jobbie that I'd love to be getting more out of. I take some nice photos with it, but I know I can be doing better.

some of my favorite shots were taken with "pocket jobbie." :D

insomniac
03-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Great idea. I have only begun to start experimenting with the different settings on the camera.

Tommy Allison
03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Joe Christo is the guy you should all talk to. He gave me a few pointers.

P1X4R
03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I am specifially interested in being able to take clear, close up shots of both my statues and artwork, usually indoors with artificial light.

hey G!

with the type of camera you have i would recommend getting those mini tabletop tripods or a medium sized one. set your camera to timer mode when taking your shots. this will eliminate camera shake. even better if you can get a remote cord but i don't think point/shoot cameras have that option. i could be wrong. my old Canon SD800 IS didn't have that which is why i moved up to DSLRs.

apart from camera settings.. tripod usage is key to taking clear, sharp pictures.

hazmatt
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
also, check for a macro setting for extreme close-ups. the macro setting will allow the camera to focus at much closer distances. for canons the macro setting is represented by a small flower/tulip icon. your camera should have this feature.

the small tripod that Ed mentioned should cost approximately $15 and is small enough to carry in your pocket.

P1X4R
04-01-2008, 03:57 AM
i just found this for Canon Powershot Digital Cameras

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/212477-REG/Canon_5748A001_WL_DC100_Wireless_Remote_Controller.html

Merlose
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I've had my Canon A530 camera forever, but never really got into anything beyond setting it to AUTO and clicking (I use it mainly for work). I've always wanted to learn how to use it a little better, especially with everyone here taking their fantastic photos.

Would any of the photographers on here like to give a little run down of what effect changing the different settings have (ISO, shutter speed, f-stop...). I am specifially interested in being able to take clear, close up shots of both my statues and artwork, usually indoors with artificial light.

Thanks.

I can answer specific question you have big G.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/merloseriot/Angelblueweb2.jpg
The higher the ISO the less light required to make a correct exposure. Good for Low light or night time situations. However too High an ISO will make the image lose quality.

ISO is the speed of the "film" or at least it did with film. The lower the number the more light it requires to make an exposure, hence the higher the ISO requires less light and is more suitable for indoor lighting. However the higher the ISO the more noise you will have in your image depending on your camera.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/merloseriot/alphaflightweb.jpg
Low F-stop Number allows for selective focus like with Vindicator here.

F-stops will control the amount of light coming into your camera. This will determine the depth of field (how much of the background and foreground are sharp and in focus compared to the subject)

The lower the F-stop the more selective focus you have, so if you want to just focus on one part of the image and let the foreground and background fall out of focus you want to use an F-Stop range from f1.8 to f4
Most lenses are made to work best at a range of f5.6-f11 this will give you a good amount of depth of field and focus. These ranges work best for when you want the image to be overall sharp and focused.
So remember the higher the f number the more depth of field.

Once you start using anything greater than F11 (but if you're shooting indoors or with lights that aren't flash units you won't need a high f-stop) You are getting the highest possible amount of depth of field. However using an Fstop like f22 you'll have the depth of field but you will lose some of the sharpness. But I wouldn't worry about using higher f-stops if you're just shooting indoors.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/merloseriot/Namorweb.jpg
Shutter speed will capture motion, like the water here. Although this was done with multiple flash units indoors its possible to capture motion outdoors with a fast shutter speed.

Shutter Speed This is the duration of the exposure. The less light you have the longer the exposure you'll need. Indoor lighting will require longer exposures, the longer the exposure the more movements will be blurred. Also if you're hand holding your camera long exposures will make your shot be blurry because your hand moves even if you think you're being steady. If you're using a shutter speed greater than 1/30th I would highly recommend using a tripod.
The shorter the shutter speed (shorter the exposure)
the faster it is the better you can capture motion without a flash but these quick exposures require quite a bit of light. But again if you're shooting indoors you don't have to worry about it.

OH BTW these are my pictures, please don't steal them. :D

Mandragora
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
nice shots merlose :D

insomniac
04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Great info Merlose. I often wonder what f stops to use when taking pictures of statues. When taking full shots of statues at times I want a greater depth of field but it did seem to decrease the sharpness of the pics.