PDA

View Full Version : You talkin' to me?

Andy Bergholtz
03-30-2008, 12:24 AM
This was a fun little private commission that was wrapped up not long ago. It's a 1/6 scale portrait of Bobby Deniro (to be used for 1/6 figure customizing), created in wax. Not perfect but it was fun to sculpt the legend.

http://absculpture.com/images/Andy's%20stuff/bobby%20D%20big%201.jpg

http://absculpture.com/images/Andy's%20stuff/bobby%20D%20big%202.jpg

Nitefall
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
If it is not perfect Andy I will have to take your word for it because it looks perfect to me!! I would say it was ABSOLUTELY perfect! I wouldn't wanna be a smarta$$ in front of it! -- AWESOME sculpt!! Thank you for showing. :thumbs2:

hellboydce
03-30-2008, 06:39 AM
pretty sweet indeed, what i want to know is if Bobby can be done so well, how come a lot of statues that make it into production, and i'm talking the expensive ones i have seen like indiana jones and jack sparrow have a really poor likeness, it seems actually likenesses are impossible to do, but then i see this and that is clearly not the case, is it that from this stage to actual production they get somewhat changed?

Andy Bergholtz
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
pretty sweet indeed, what i want to know is if Bobby can be done so well, how come a lot of statues that make it into production, and i'm talking the expensive ones i have seen like indiana jones and jack sparrow have a really poor likeness, it seems actually likenesses are impossible to do, but then i see this and that is clearly not the case, is it that from this stage to actual production they get somewhat changed?

There are a lot more answers to this question than you might think. The final resulting likeness on a production statue is affected by many variables... The concept, the quality of the sculptor assigned to the project, the art direction, licensor revisions, factory reproduction, paint design, a rushed deadline, etc. It's never as easy as simply 'sculpting a good likeness', that's just one step in a very intricate process.

Most people would not believe how often the licensor is to blame for a sub-par final product. You would think the individuals put in charge of licensed product by some of these BIG companies would be required to have a good eye for quality, but that is often so very far from the case. It is a common occurance for a licensor to request a revision that results in a poorer likeness for a character. Not intentionally, just out of sheer ignorance (or incompetance) on the part of the licensor.

The beauty of private commissions like Bobby D. here is that there are no licensors or actors to deal with, the quality of the final sculpt is often determined solely by my own perfectionism. Sometimes that is a positive thing, and sometimes not (usually the former for any artist)... But it's an indulgence that every commercial artist should take once in a while just to stay sane. In the end it's not entirely fair to compare personal work like this to the work done for commercial companies as I didn't have to jump through the same conventional hoops.

p.s. Glad you like the portrait!

cougartrace
03-30-2008, 02:58 PM
that is an awesome likeness :buttrock:

DSET
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM
deniro is my favorite actor:buttrock:
and that is just bang on :buttrock: :buttrock:

SD RUM
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Great sculpt!!

Nitefall
03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I would not have the patience to produce something of such artistic perfection and have it altered by incompetents. :banghead:
Thank you for helping me understand more the process involved in the final production of a sculpt.
How frustrating to say the least!

MACATTACK
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM

There are a lot more answers to this question than you might think. The final resulting likeness on a production statue is affected by many variables... The concept, the quality of the sculptor assigned to the project, the art direction, licensor revisions, factory reproduction, paint design, a rushed deadline, etc. It's never as easy as simply 'sculpting a good likeness', that's just one step in a very intricate process.

Most people would not believe how often the licensor is to blame for a sub-par final product. You would think the individuals put in charge of licensed product by some of these BIG companies would be required to have a good eye for quality, but that is often so very far from the case. It is a common occurance for a licensor to request a revision that results in a poorer likeness for a character. Not intentionally, just out of sheer ignorance (or incompetance) on the part of the licensor.

The beauty of private commissions like Bobby D. here is that there are no licensors or actors to deal with, the quality of the final sculpt is often determined solely by my own perfectionism. Sometimes that is a positive thing, and sometimes not (usually the former for any artist)... But it's an indulgence that every commercial artist should take once in a while just to stay sane. In the end it's not entirely fair to compare personal work like this to the work done for commercial companies as I didn't have to jump through the same conventional hoops.

That's one question and answer I've always wanted to know...Thanks!!

hellboydce
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
yep, thanks Andy, straight from the horses mouth (not say you are a horse of course):thumbs2:

Danno
04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
DOH!!!!!!!!!! That is incredible....what an amazing likeness study/sculpt. WOW!

boondocksaint
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
incredible

Veritas
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM

This is all great information. I"m really happy that they now have a section like this! This is all simply amazing stuff- really!