PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from the PROS

GET
04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi Guys
I'm thinking of repainting my Bowen Clear Invisible Woman to the other painted version.
My Questions are:
1.What type of blue did Bowen use for the original?
2.Do i need to prime it first b4 painting?
3.How do you make the legs to look like they're phazing can it achieve w/o airbrushing?

Thanks in Advance.

Danno
04-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't own this particular piece (I am very much looking forward to the new museum pose versions though).

1.) Anyhoo, because I don't own it...I could not tell you the color used. More than likely, you will need to custom mix the color to get a perfect match.

2.) Yes, but if you are wanting the parts to appear invisible, you will need to prime with a clear primer. You can use any clear flat/matte lacquer based sealer to act as your primer for this. It will get a bit cloudy/foggy, but once you spray a nice gloss coat over the clear parts, the foggy effect will disappear.

3.) Honestly, it is because of things like this (and doing flesh and painting tough to paint colors) that I use an airbrush. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but extremely difficult to create a nice feathering effect (especially feathering from opaque to clear). You will need to heavily thin your paints and do alot of sponging to help you with this one. But I think you should at least consider buying a airbrush at least for this type of thing.

moore_000
04-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Danno is right. Without airbrush, it will be very hard to achieve the "phazing" effect or the transition from Clear to Transparent to Opaque. Your biggest problem with using a brush is that every brush stroke leaves two very distinctive areas: one without paint and one with paint. It is going to be very hard to get what you want using only brush alone and you will most likely need to incorporate dry-brushing technique as well. With airbrush you can achieve the gradual transition effect very easily by over laying the paint layers. Try Danno's advise on thinning out the paints and test it on a 99 cents clear glass to see if you can do it.

GET
04-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I'll give it a shot.As always you guys come through w/ the advice.... Thanks Guys

Miracole
04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Good Luck!! :thumbs2:

monkey5150
04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
just like the guys above have mentioned I have used this technique for a crow kit having his makeup slowly fade/wash off.
start off with first color and then slowing start mixing in the second color as you progress away from the initial painting spot. You can also use pastel chalks to assist with the transition folks do call them the poor mans airbrush for that reason.. hope that helps