PDA

View Full Version : Dc questions for WP

Vader
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
William,

Did you ever have to make revisions on your batman pieces because of DC Management?

Would you have done anything differently with any of the batman sculpts (if you had complete freedom)?

Was there a character you didn't get to do that you wanted to do when at DC?

Did you like doing the superman piece you did? Was there ever a plan for you to do other superman pieces?

And which of your DC statues were you most and least pleased with?

By the way, I think DC had its best stuff when you were there. Your work is really fantastic.

William Paquet
04-30-2008, 08:11 AM
William,

Did you ever have to make revisions on your batman pieces because of DC Management?

There were times when decisions were made that altered some of the work. Mostly those came in the design phase, which I usually was not responsible for. There were a few exceptions.

Would you have done anything differently with any of the batman sculpts (if you had complete freedom)?

Yes.

Was there a character you didn't get to do that you wanted to do when at DC?

There were many. Some were ones I already did, but either didn't like the version I was given, or didn't like my work on the sculpt. Some just never happened at all, like Solomon Grundy, The Penguin, or Etrigan. Plenty others too if I start to think about it.

Did you like doing the superman piece you did? Was there ever a plan for you to do other superman pieces?

Funny you ask. I enjoyed much of the work I did back then, but this piece was no fun at all. The design was a nightmare to try and get balanced. Cool design by Jerry Ordway, just a difficult one to get right. I should add that although I think the sculpt turned out okay, the factory production on that one is pretty dreadful.

I lamented the fact that I never got the chance to do a stand alone Supes, museum style, for lack of a better description. Something really iconic and powerful.

And which of your DC statues were you most and least pleased with?

Most- SPECTRE
Least- JLA Bookends

Thanks for the interest and the nice comments.:)

Vader
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks so much for your comments.

I love your original DK returns statue. You really feel the essence of the Miller batman in that piece. That piece has yet to be matched for a batman piece (in my opinion).

I think your work with clothing is just fantastic. You always get the feel and the folds of the clothing just right. You give the material a movement that works so well. It really shows on the DK piece.

While its obvious you can sculpt anything, your style, for me, really stands out with batman and sandman as far as DC goes. You always seem to stand out with the classic monster stuff as well. And with sin city stuff. Marvel characters almost seem too clean and simple. For me, your work seems to work with characters that have some grit to them (some darkness).

Do you have a preference sculpting certain types of pieces?

Which batman would you have done differently, and why? Do you think you would do work with DC again?

I really wish you had the opportunity to do a superman (museum style). I'm sure the outcome would have been phenomenal.

Thanks for all your time. Looking forward to your work.

William Paquet
05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I prefer nasty, gritty and sick as far as subject matter. Horror mainly, but tough stuff, like Sin City or Hellboy is great subject matter.

I would have done the Bisley clock tower piece differently. The pose is not what I would have chosen if I had the opportunity to design the piece.

I had the chance to revisit Miller's DK last year. It is museum style, as I always wanted to do. It is currently being tooled in wax by a bronze foundry for a limited edition of 3 hot bronze copies. None will be for sale, it is a labor of love between myself and some friends.

Here's a sneak of the sculpt. Once the bronzes are done I'll post images here.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/315533126.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/315533124.jpg

William Paquet
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Regarding DC, it is possible we will work together again. I remain on good terms with the people there that I know.

Vader
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I can't see the pictures of the batman from work. My work has a block on pictures. But I can't wait to see them when I get home!!!

I really hope you do work for DC again. And it's amazing, but your preference for certain types of work really shows in the outcome. I still think your "darker" DC pieces can't be touched. Nothing that company has put out has come close to your work before or since. So lets hope they enlist your aid again.

What were you going to do with the Bisley batman if you had your way?

Are you looking to work on Hellboy stuff? Comic style I expect?

You've always been one of my favorites!! Thanks for taking the time.

wolverinejedi007
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
William I assume Rich getting one of the DK Bronze, right???

Just wondering so I know what to steal next time I pay his house a visit. LOL

Vader
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Now if it ever gets stolen, you'll be a suspect.

William Paquet
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
William I assume Rich getting one of the DK Bronze, right???

Just wondering so I know what to steal next time I pay his house a visit. LOL

Rich is not involved in this, so you'll have to do your thievery for some other trinket.

wolverinejedi007
05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Rich is not involved in this, so you'll have to do your thievery for some other trinket.

WOW!!! I am stoopified!!!

I am very suprised that he is not involved.:confused:

Vader
05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Just got home. Holy crap! That dark knight is incredible!!! Please sculpt one like that for DC???

pablocruze
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM
None will be for sale, it is a labor of love between myself and some friends.

Since we have a close, personal friendship...and since I will be celebrating a landmark birthday this summer, it is no great stretch of the imagination that the bronze piece will find a much honored place in my "man room"... :thumbs2:

BTW...will you be making it to the party??? :confused:

Vracula
05-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I had the chance to revisit Miller's DK last year. It is museum style, as I always wanted to do. It is currently being tooled in wax by a bronze foundry for a limited edition of 3 hot bronze copies. None will be for sale, it is a labor of love between myself and some friends.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/315533126.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/315533124.jpg

not fair!!! sniff sniff!

Vader
05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Must be so nice to be able to sculpt!

William Paquet
05-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Must be so nice to be able to sculpt!

Ha, hell yeah, man.

Anytime I want something I just make it.:)

Vader
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I know. I can't imagine how cool that would be. It would save me so much money.

William Paquet
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
You don't save any money doing it yourself, because time is money.

The main upshot is simply having the ability to do whatever you want when you do have some free time. The Vampire Bat was the same deal, I did it for kicks. Even though DC turned it down for production I'm happy I did it.

Vader
05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
It must be tough. Given your talent, I would be so driven to create. You guys have so much to offer the world. Your talent and ability is limitless. It's like Michaelangelo. Can you imagine if he didn't do what he did? The world would be so much less.

That's what you give this group of people when you create something special (like you have over and over again).

Keep going!

bane
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
That Dark knight looks awesome !!! Hope you get a call from DC soon to do some more villains!!

protector2814
05-06-2008, 06:34 PM
How exactly does/did it work with DC? Did your phone ring with DC on the other end asking you to sculpt a particular character? or did/will they come to you with a number of potential pieces to do?

It's been a while with you and DC (you are very much missed, by the way). Did they just stop asking?

Did you also design the awesome Joker and Riddler metal die-cuts that attach to the Batman and Robin Bookends? Just such an appreciated touch.

One final thought - Your Batman Clocktower piece is just amazing. The definitive Batman sculpt so far in my opinion. What would you have changed with the pose?

Once again, thanks so much for your hard work.

William Paquet
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
How exactly does/did it work with DC? Did your phone ring with DC on the other end asking you to sculpt a particular character? or did/will they come to you with a number of potential pieces to do?

Way back when I was under contract with them I would get a schedule of projects. When not under contract I got one at a time.

It's been a while with you and DC (you are very much missed, by the way). Did they just stop asking?

It was just a matter of both moving in different directions. I had ventured off into other things, and they eventually signed other sculptors to contracts.

Did you also design the awesome Joker and Riddler metal die-cuts that attach to the Batman and Robin Bookends? Just such an appreciated touch.

I did not. I'm not positive, but I think Scott McDaniel added those.

One final thought - Your Batman Clocktower piece is just amazing. The definitive Batman sculpt so far in my opinion. What would you have changed with the pose?

He looks a bit constipated to me. Personally I would have preferred to have him standing upright with his cape blowing to the side. I'd have kept the Batarang in his hand, and I like the shin guards too. I know there is some negative reaction to that part of the design, but I think it adds another element that sets the design apart. I also would have followed Bisley's style more tightly for the anatomy.

protector2814
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
...He looks a bit constipated to me...

:laugh: - Always viewed the pose as more of a crouch before a kill, an announcement of the pain to come, a madman coiled in rage....but having to 'punch a duke' works too.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc244/haljordan2/256167964110_0_ALB.jpg(pardon the dust)

Thanks for answering. :thumbs2:

HalJordanFan
05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
It looks like it snowed on Batman's base! Get out the Swifter my man!

JSA
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
You don't save any money doing it yourself, because time is money.

The main upshot is simply having the ability to do whatever you want when you do have some free time. The Vampire Bat was the same deal, I did it for kicks. Even though DC turned it down for production I'm happy I did it.

I'm damn happy you did it too.

JS

bane
05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I dissagree on one thing , The Batman on Clocktower is perfect and doesn't need modifications !! I love that piece

Vader
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I too wouldn't suggest changing the pose. The Bisley batman has been done standing (with a more ripped anatomy). I think Canale did it as a kit. I think what came out with the batman on clock was unique and hasn't been done before or since..

hellboydce
05-07-2008, 07:22 AM
did you ever do a Miller Joker (in the white suit) from TDKR for your own personal collection? i think that was the best ever representation of him, DCD released a set of 4 action figures from the TDKR a few years ago and who ever sculpted those did a fantastic job, i would pay a fortune to get something similar

protector2814
05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
It looks like it snowed on Batman's base! Get out the Swifter my man!

I know lol - This one is one of my 1st statues. It was on a high shelf for years. I've dusted it sinse the photo was taken.

William Paquet
05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
did you ever do a Miller Joker (in the white suit) from TDKR for your own personal collection? i think that was the best ever representation of him, DCD released a set of 4 action figures from the TDKR a few years ago and who ever sculpted those did a fantastic job, i would pay a fortune to get something similar

Tim Bruckner did those action figures, and they are indeed awesome. The Joker in particular is simply amazing.

I never did a Miller Joker, but would like to someday.

Vader
05-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Brukner is good. I think his style suits "fantasy" work. WP, your batman stuff rules!!!

Kirk Durfey
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Brukner is good. I think his style suits "fantasy" work. WP, your batman stuff rules!!!

Bruckner is a God! He can sculpt anything - And do it fantastically :buttrock:

Vader
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Kirk,

Brukner is great. I just love WPs style on the batman stuff, that's all. There has been many batman pieces sculpted over the years. WP's work just stands out for me.

Vader
07-18-2008, 09:07 AM
William,

Did you ever finish those bronze versions of the Miller DK statue (the few copies you made for personal friends). I would love to see that piece!

Chris.

Sniper
07-18-2008, 09:15 AM
It is currently being tooled in wax by a bronze foundry for a limited edition of 3 hot bronze copies. None will be for sale, it is a labor of love between myself and some friends.

:bawling:
:banghead: NOoooooooooooooooooooo...............

William Paquet
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
William,

Did you ever finish those bronze versions of the Miller DK statue (the few copies you made for personal friends). I would love to see that piece!

Chris.

Funny you should ask. First casting was done just yesterday. I didn't get a chance to shoot pix, but the owner is going to shoot some this weekend. Also I will shoot pix of mine when it is done in a couple weeks.

The foundry did a pretty amazing job, and damn he is one heavy mother. He sits on a black marble base. Pix soon.:)

daveyyojimbo
07-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I prefer nasty, gritty and sick as far as subject matter. Horror mainly, but tough stuff, like Sin City or Hellboy is great subject matter.

I would have done the Bisley clock tower piece differently. The pose is not what I would have chosen if I had the opportunity to design the piece.

This just ain't right... :( Lucky son-of-gun's.

Vader
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Can't wait. How large is that batman William?

William Paquet
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Can't wait. How large is that batman William?

Batman is about 13 inches tall and the marble base is another 2 inches, so roughly 15 inches total height on the statue.

Vader
07-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Man. That would be so cool!

The Batfan
07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW I want Super sweet batty goodness, I agree on the fact Wp is AWESOME even more awesome if I got one of those Bronze Bats LOL

PS
WP I moved so I have a new addy if you need it to send me one let me know LOL

Cobblepot
07-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Aaarghh!! Why are the black and white's so small. This would have been a home run!

Vader
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Any pics of the Dark Knight in bronze William? We're dying to see it.

Wesley Pierce
07-31-2008, 03:08 AM
First of all, I just wanted to tell you I love your work, I know some don't like ti but your Hellblazer was on of my favorite pieces.

On to a question:

If you were offered, would you go back and sculpt more of the Sandman characters or maybe even a Swamp Thing?

Last question:

What is the one character you would like to sculpt the most but were never offered an opportunity to do so?

Vader
08-02-2008, 11:53 AM
He sculpted a swamp thing.

William Paquet
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Any pics of the Dark Knight in bronze William? We're dying to see it.

Because you asked so nicely I will show a couple small pix for now. This particular copy is not mine and I didn't get a chance to shoot pix the way I would like. I'm a bit of a Felix Unger on certain things- my way or the Long Island Expressway, but I digress. Once I get my copy(soon hopefully) I will do a photo shoot and post the pix in a new thread.

But for now, here is the bronze(real bronze, no faux) DK-

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/328550543.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/328551676.jpg

William Paquet
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
First of all, I just wanted to tell you I love your work, I know some don't like ti but your Hellblazer was on of my favorite pieces.

On to a question:

If you were offered, would you go back and sculpt more of the Sandman characters or maybe even a Swamp Thing?

Last question:

What is the one character you would like to sculpt the most but were never offered an opportunity to do so?

I would like to do Wrightson Swamp Thing someday, or even a Steve Bissette version minus the flowers.

There are a lot of characters I have never had the opportunity to sculpt the way I would like to. Not to say that I have been given poor designs to work from, quite the contrary...I have been given some amazing stuff. But nothing is ever the way an artist really wants unless he is given complete freedom. That's why I sculpted this Dark Knight as you see it. It's simple, not fussy, no dramatic pose but it portrays everything that I personally find appealing about the character- strength and nobility.

Gothiken
08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
that is a beauty of a bats..

my favorite has always been
the Miller-esque Bats..
the short ears.. and not overly
roided out.

very "natural" looking

well done

Kenny

Vader
08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Dear William,

The batman piece is fantastic! Your talent never ceases to amaze. Thanks so much for the pictures.

Vader
08-04-2008, 12:33 AM
That is the best batman statue!

HalJordanFan
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Because you asked so nicely I will show a couple small pix for now. This particular copy is not mine and I didn't get a chance to shoot pix the way I would like. I'm a bit of a Felix Unger on certain things- my way or the Long Island Expressway, but I digress. Once I get my copy(soon hopefully) I will do a photo shoot and post the pix in a new thread.

But for now, here is the bronze(real bronze, no faux) DK-

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/328550543.jpghttp://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL966/3964388/8262812/328551676.jpg

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here, but as always beautiful work! :thumbs2:

Barrister
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
WP!

This is phenomenal . . . we've been waiting on THE definitive Batman sculpt, and you frickin' nailed it!

It'd be nice if DC Direct would have enough smarts to commission you to relese a Bat sculpt like this (particularly with 25th DK anniversary right around the corner)!

AgentU7
08-16-2008, 07:18 AM
That bronze Batman is amazing. He looks so damn cool standing there with his cape flowing. You do fantastic work.