PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Questions

mat falls
03-02-2005, 04:40 AM
what up everyone? haven't been able to log on for a while. as you can tell, we've been kept pretty busy the last couple of months. now that toy fair is over, i'd like to take the time to try to answer some questions. if you guys want, throw a few on here and if i can't answer them, i'll see who can.
i want to thank all you out there who have supported us.
zurb, you've made a great collection and have been a great supporter as well.
gruson, soon enough seems you'll be passing zurb on the statues!
tattoox, received your pm's. my bad for not being online to reply. update any question here and let me see what i can do to answer it.

i do want to thank all of you for supporting our marvel line. making a line that is a bit different than the rest is not an easy task especially not knowing how the fans will accept it. i hope you enjoy the upcoming projects. i hope drod and coca enjoy the "scarface" figure. if drod tells you it's his voice on the chip, he's lying!
i'm also glad to see some of our sculptors participating on the forum. we feel they are top in the industry and enjoy working with them. not all live by us so we don't see them as often as we like but it is worth the miles the pieces have to travel to reach us.
take care and thanks again,

mat

Blazer1182
03-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Hey mat, when will the 1/4 scale green goblin statue be released? thanks

Tattoo-X
03-02-2005, 05:26 AM
To answer your PM. Yes, I still have the same questions.
I just bumped them up on the 28th, on the SideShow section.

Bullseye
03-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Good to see someone from SS here. I'll sit down and write up some questions for you Matt.

Ghost
03-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Good to see someone from SS here. I'll sit down and write up some questions for you Matt.

So you mean you've been standing up all this time?!?! :laugh: :rolleyes2

Comicboy
03-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey Mat welcome back! You folks sure had a fine showing at Toy Fair! The new stuff looks great! Speaking of looking, any ideas on when pics of Legolas/Gimli on Arod and Aragorn are coming? You wouldn't happen to have some exclusives on tap for the cons do you? Reason I'm asking is you dont seem to have much in the way of busts being released. The 4 trolls and the wounded orc are all we have seen. You have the license until the begining of 06' (correct?) how many more pieces do you plan on putting out for the LOTR line and are you going to try and renew the license? You have an amazing crew of people doing work over there. All I can say is BRAVO!

Zurbaran1
03-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Mat! Great to see you back. Thanks for the kind words. Not too hard to be a Sideshow supporter, you guys are the best! I've been working hard on my collection. I've sold most of my "other" collection to be able to go and back fill the missing pieces. It's been very satisfying, the line is just amazing and I can't wait to display it. I'm just about there. Happen to have an extra Aragorn statue lying around by any chance? :laugh:

Your Marvel and Star Wars lines are generating a lot of excitement as well. Sabertooth vs Wolverine is just amazing! Looking forward to what else you have in store for us.

I've got a few questions:

1. There's a lot of talk that the LOTR license is coming to an end in 2005-2006 and that it's 30 or so more pieces and then it's over. Can you give us a little feedback on this? I've also heard that, when it does, the line is going to end with a very special piece. Not likely you can reveal what the piece is going to be but is there any truth to that?

2. Any more medallions or environments coming our way? We didn't see any announced during Toyfair.

3. One problem I have noticed, damage. I have received a number of damaged pieces. As detailed as these pieces can be it must be inevitable to some degree. Most recently I received my Cave Troll (big $$$) and, as well packed as it was, his hammer wielding arm was completely broken through. That hurt. A few others have also arrived with some degree of damage. Has this been a problem for you folks? It almost seems like the protective packaging is sometimes responsible for the damage as it may not have any "give" if the pieces move around a bit in shipment. Is there anything different you are doing about it with respect to the upcoming releases? I'm particularly thinking about the upcoming Sauron statute. The piece is huge and incredibly detailed. Are there any extra measures being taken to insure this masterpiece gets into our hands safe and sound?

4. Speaking of Sauron, any rough ETA?

Keep up the good work Mat. You have a lot of fans here. :thumbs2:

Oh, almost forgot. My wife really wants to have a word with you but you might want to cross over to the other side of the street if you see her coming your way. :laugh:

Tattoo-X
03-02-2005, 11:43 AM
X-FILES
Will you be releasing a Skinner action figure?
I'm done collecting the action figures right after that one.
Any chance you'll be doing busts and/or statue for X-Files?
Those I'll buy.

Danno
03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
My only question would be more of a request. Would you...could you.... please do a bust of Gorbag?

Skulpturen
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Please do a Skeksis Castle, please!
Here is my prototype:

http://home.datacomm.ch/lborka/Pics/castle_main.jpg

Gruson
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Mat!

Glad you stopped by the forum. Thanks for the words.

I just sent you a PM.

Everyone knows I am waiting for one thing: LURTZ IN ARMOR statue. :)
Right Rick?

I will be posting more questions later today when I have more time.

Zurbaran1
03-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Please do a Skeksis Castle, please!
Here is my prototype:

WOW Skulpturen, that is very nice! Maybe you should do an Orthanc or Barad-dur!

nexus
03-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Mat,

I'm putting together a pretty decent LOTR bust line for the boy -- which has been like trying to herd cats when dealing with the secondary market. Trying to figure out which of these things are going to suddenly catch fire is a challenge. Sometimes you get the bear ($100 Gandalf the White, $40 Pippin), sometimes the bear gets you ($100 Arwen). So you guys obviously have a great line going. I came too late to go after the statues, although we might get a Gandalf on Shadowfax because it is spectacular. For the most part, we're going to stick with the busts-- hopefully you'll have a Faramir, Shadowfax, Eowyn (?) down the road. We'll get the ones that make sense. Like LOTR, but not a fan at the level most of these guys are.

Anyway, main questions are about other lines:

#1 Star Trek -- Are you guys going to complete those? They are nice looking busts, but I've been holding off on getting these because the line seems to be dead-ending. Would really like to see completion of TOS bridge crew (Sulu, Chekov, Uhura) plus maybe one more alien like the Orion slave girl maybe; TNG bridge crew (I think it's just the females now), plus maybe a borg, romulan, and/or another alien; and DS9 bridge crew (of which you have none, and that was a great, great series) -- you need Sisko (bald and goatee), Kira, Dax, Odo, Quark, Dr. Bashir, Miles, and I'd say Gul Dukat, and a Jem Hadar at least. STV, 7 of 9 is fine. If you do the rest, I'd buy, but was never a fan of the show.
Maybe you just haven't had the Trekkie turnout which is surprising, although they will march to save that dreadful Enterprise (apologies to any fans of the show on the Forum, but it is pretty bad), and I hear some guys have pledged $3 million to save it ... go figure.

#2: Wolverine/Sabertooth statue -- congrats on an awesome piece. Looks like you've sold out of the special. any plans on extending that line to include other head to head matchups? Who might we see?

RickDTM
03-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey Mat!

Glad you stopped by the forum. Thanks for the words.

I just sent you a PM.

Everyone knows I am waiting for one thing: LURTZ IN ARMOR statue. :)
Right Rick?

I will be posting more questions later today when I have more time.

:laugh: No doubt Jeff!! No doubt!!! It's what you've been wishing for what seems like forever. :laugh:

DEAD_MAN
03-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Mat
Anychance to remove the K.o.t.d nose before it's released?
Or have an Exclusive K.O.T.D?

Will Darth Vader improve?

Bullseye
03-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi Mat
Anychance to remove the K.o.t.d nose before it's released?
Or have an Exclusive K.O.T.D?

Will Darth Vader improve?

Thats two of my questions out of the way. Cheers DM

Bullseye
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
So you mean you've been standing up all this time?!?! :laugh: :rolleyes2

Smartass. :laugh: Since I'm a midget i have to stand. You got something against little people. :mad:

Boerboel
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I'll second the Lurtz in armor statue...maybe an exclusive? Any chance of a K.O.T.D. bust? Maybe a little more skeleton-skull looking?I was also wondering why the attack Troll statue is a mini? Thanks for your time!!! :buttrock:

nexus
03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I meant $200 Arwen.

DEAD_MAN
03-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Mat

should we Pm you are questions or Email them?

Ghost
03-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Smartass. :laugh: Since I'm a midget i have to stand. You got something against little people. :mad:

I had no idea! But it was out there so I went a took a shot!

I'm wondering if there will be any Faramir pieces coming soon, Matt? And of (Danno I could have sworn that orc's name was Shagrat) Shagrat? Thanks. You guys have become a powerful force to be reckoned with, and in doing so have heightened the level of quality throughout the world. Bravo indeed!

DEAD_MAN
03-03-2005, 05:59 AM
now that toy fair is over, i'd like to take the time to try to answer some questions. if you guys want, throw a few on here and if i can't answer them, i'll see who can.

mat

hmmmmmm what gives?
it's been over 24 hours :confused2

Skulpturen
03-03-2005, 06:46 AM
WOW Skulpturen, that is very nice! Maybe you should do an Orthanc or Barad-dur!

Thank you Zurbaran1!
I thought about doing a Barad Dur... but there is already one coming:

DEAD_MAN
03-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Thank you Zurbaran1!

where can I order one Skulpturen ?

Bullseye
03-03-2005, 06:50 AM
I must order this one. Is it available from the uk site? Can't seem to find it.

Skulpturen
03-03-2005, 06:55 AM
where can I order one Skulpturen ?

Write to:

customerservice@danburymint.com

And don't forget to say Laszlo Borka sent you... :)

DEAD_MAN
03-03-2005, 07:14 AM
what catalog and page?

Bullseye
03-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Cheers Laszlo. Have you ordered it yet. Where is it being shipped from?

Skulpturen
03-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Yes I already ordered it :)
It will ship from USA (release date April).
I think it is still not in the catalog.

Zurbaran1
03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Bullseye, this was actually brought to our attention a few weeks back in another thread. I called the Danbury Mint and ordered one then. As pointed out they will not be shipping until at least April. I don't know what the deal is outside the US. If you do get in contact with them make sure you give them the item number: LRVIKMPT. Outside of that damn nameplate this is a great looking piece. I'd bet anything that before all is said and done Sideshow will also be releasing a Barad-dur environment.

Zurbaran1
03-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Thank you Zurbaran1!

But still, from what I've seen, you might be able to do better! :)

RickDTM
03-03-2005, 10:10 AM

Agreed!!!

nexus
03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Step aside LOTR questioners. :stick: What about the Star Trek busts? Just don't want them to get lost. Okay, I'm going back to my corner now.

Sniper
03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
star trek blahhhh

Skulpturen
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks Zurb, Rick!

Well, I doubt that I could do a better one. Maybe, if I was a time-millionaire...

nexus
03-03-2005, 11:57 AM
just trying to keep the conversation lively :).

Skulpturen
03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I would buy everything from DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH.

Kdawg59
03-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey Mat...

It's great to see you back in a posting mode and although I won't be the first to tell you this, I certainly won't be the last either...

I think Sideshow is gonna make their mark on the Marvel Line. You guys put out some of the finest quality stuff around. The LOTR stuff, although I own zero and wish I did, is amazing...

The Punisher that Andy sculpted IS Tim Bradstreet
The Wolverine and Saber from Martin Canale is gorgeous as well.

I look forward to all of your forthcoming Marvel line...

Bullseye
03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Cheers Zurb DMint responsed to my email. I can order it but they pointed out that i will be responsible for customs and duty. I'll still pick it up though.

Zurbaran1
03-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Dead_man, chill. Mat is a very busy man. He'll get to the questions when he has a chance. No need to keep reposting them.

mat falls
03-05-2005, 08:17 PM
zurb, thanks, lol. yes, what i meant by getting on more is trying to be on at least once a week. it's a little tough for me right now due to the amount of work.
post your questions here once and i'll try to get them answered within a week or so. again, those that i cannot answer i have to pass to someone else and some we might be able to comment on so hopefully everyone will understand.
it'll be quicker to just post the questions here than email or pm's since it's easier to compile. again, sideshow and myself thank you for the support and i thank danny (drod) and his team for putting this together and looking out for us. i'll try to have some, if not all of your questions answered if possible this coming week (torwards the end of it).
thanks,

mat

mat falls
03-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Q: Could you tell us who sculpted the Monster busts? They look great! I’m very disappointed to hear that the busts aren’t being produced. for the DVD sets. I wouldn’t say it’s too late. There’s always different versions of videos being released. For example: Director cuts of DareDevil and Hellboy recently. Several Spider-Man 2. If I was to buy the recent Universal Monster DVDs today, and you announced tomorrow a gift set was coming out, I would definitely buy it! Could a box set of just the bust be made?

A: Many thanks! Oluf Hartvigson, who also did the full size 1/6 scale versions, did the busts. We would like to do more but that's up to Universal. They dictate the DVD releases. Unfortunately the busts can't be manufactured independent of the DVD gift set at this time. It pains me to say as we've gotten such good feedback.

Q: ...and the people with the Simpsons. I know how tough that can be. As a dealer specializing in X-Files merchandise, I’ve spoke with many manufactures and heard their stories. And having a table at X-Files conventions, I’ve dealt with FOX and 1013.
My question about X-Files character busts may have got over looked because of the Simpsons/XF bust question. SideShow is producing the 12” XF action figures, so wouldn’t the approval process for bust be fairly easy?
And, BTW, what are the next XF characters to be done in the 12" AF series?
Will CSM be released soon?
Personally, I'd prefer to collect busts. Probably only get favorite characters from here on out. Already got all pre-ordered from the ones available on your site.

A: The approval process would certainly be made easier with a good history, but busts aren't in the deal right now. I appreciate your sentiments though, I dig busts as well. As for the the next characters, my PR department would hang me if I scooped them......many apologies.

Q: I had a few questions that weren’t asked and/or ansered from the “interview” thread.
First question - Did SideShow produce the Hellboy bust for the gift set? If so, who sculpted it?
BTW, who sculpted the Universal Monster busts?

A: Yes, we did, and you can blame me for the sculpt but don't beat me up too badly.

Zurbaran1
03-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Mat, I could never beat up on you. My wife however wants to give you a real bad hurting. Payback for the LOTR line. :laugh:

DEAD_MAN
03-08-2005, 02:24 AM
when were these questions asked?
they weren't on this thread.
:inquisiti

d rod
03-08-2005, 03:42 AM
those were older private questions. as soon as they can research the new ones, mat will post them.

RickDTM
03-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Mat, I could never beat up on you. My wife however wants to give you a real bad hurting. Payback for the LOTR line. :laugh:

Mine would happily join in wearing you out as well...... :D

Andy Bergholtz
03-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Mat has that effect on women. :)

Zurbaran1
03-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Mat has that effect on women. :)

Which may not be conducive to a long healthy life :laugh:

Collection King 13
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Mat -

What other Dioramas are going to be produced? Is there any chance Sideshow will produce the Thor vs Surfer that has been floating around?

Bullseye
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I second that Matt that Thor v Surfer is a must.

nexus
03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Just make sure the paint on TvS is top notch, and not that shiny stuff.

madjazz
03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm also interested in an Update on the Star Trek bust line. New releases have become too few and too far in-between.

Also, what are the chances of getting the Simpsons bust license back? That was a great line that has not had the surface even scratched in terms of characters.

Tattoo-X
03-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Q: Could you tell us who sculpted the Monster busts? They look great! I’m very disappointed to hear that the busts aren’t being produced. for the DVD sets. I wouldn’t say it’s too late. There’s always different versions of videos being released. For example: Director cuts of DareDevil and Hellboy recently. Several Spider-Man 2. If I was to buy the recent Universal Monster DVDs today, and you announced tomorrow a gift set was coming out, I would definitely buy it! Could a box set of just the bust be made?

A: Many thanks! Oluf Hartvigson, who also did the full size 1/6 scale versions, did the busts. We would like to do more but that's up to Universal. They dictate the DVD releases. Unfortunately the busts can't be manufactured independent of the DVD gift set at this time. It pains me to say as we've gotten such good feedback.

Q: ...and the people with the Simpsons. I know how tough that can be. As a dealer specializing in X-Files merchandise, I’ve spoke with many manufactures and heard their stories. And having a table at X-Files conventions, I’ve dealt with FOX and 1013.
My question about X-Files character busts may have got over looked because of the Simpsons/XF bust question. SideShow is producing the 12” XF action figures, so wouldn’t the approval process for bust be fairly easy?
And, BTW, what are the next XF characters to be done in the 12" AF series?
Will CSM be released soon?
Personally, I'd prefer to collect busts. Probably only get favorite characters from here on out. Already got all pre-ordered from the ones available on your site.

A: The approval process would certainly be made easier with a good history, but busts aren't in the deal right now. I appreciate your sentiments though, I dig busts as well. As for the the next characters, my PR department would hang me if I scooped them......many apologies.

Q: I had a few questions that weren’t asked and/or ansered from the “interview” thread.
First question - Did SideShow produce the Hellboy bust for the gift set? If so, who sculpted it?
BTW, who sculpted the Universal Monster busts?

A: Yes, we did, and you can blame me for the sculpt but don't beat me up too badly.

THANK YOU!

DEAD_MAN
03-13-2005, 10:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MONSTER
03-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Mat -

What other Dioramas are going to be produced? Is there any chance Sideshow will produce the Thor vs Surfer that has been floating around?

Great question CK. The Wolverine vs. Sabretooth is amazing!!! I'd love to hear what's next.

C1eaN
03-13-2005, 11:10 PM
mat... PLZ let the owners of the Woverine/Sabertooth Exclusvie see what the exchangable head looks like. Is there a visible seam etc?? When will SS make pics of this avaialble?

I understand not showing pics of product not complete (legolas/gim/Arod......Aragorn/Brego) but why no pics of a completed piece?!?!?!
:banghead:

Blazer1182
03-14-2005, 02:55 AM
When is the Green goblin 1/4 statue going to be released?

Collection King 13
03-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Great question CK. The Wolverine vs. Sabretooth is amazing!!! I'd love to hear what's next.
Thanks... Hopefully we get an answer in the way of a preview pic! :buttrock:

Collection King 13
03-14-2005, 02:57 AM
When is the Green goblin 1/4 statue going to be released?
Thats been out....

Andy Bergholtz
03-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Thats been out....

Nope, not yet... He's scheduled for release until later this summer.

nexus
03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Any updates on Star Trek line would be appreciated. Would like to see:
TOS -- Uhura, Chekov, Sulu (completes bridge crew), Orion Slave Girl, white ape/rhino thing or big head alien (the retro stuff is cool)
TNG -- Geordi, Troi, Crusher (completes bridge crew) Romulan, Borg, maybe another alien or two
DS9 -- Sisko (bald, goatee), Kira, Dax (Jadzia), Miles, Basheer, Odo, Quark, Worf variant (need whole core station crew), J'em Hadar, Cardassian (Dukat), Martok or female Klingon
STV-don't care

madjazz
04-05-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm also interested in an Update on the Star Trek bust line. New releases have become too few and too far in-between.

Also, what are the chances of getting the Simpsons bust license back? That was a great line that has not had the surface even scratched in terms of characters.
Hi Mat - saw you on-line. Bump.

Acme1970
04-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Any word on Eomer's Helm, When's it gonna ship?

Zurbaran1
04-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Any word on Eomer's Helm, When's it gonna ship?

I think it is scheduled for May as of right now.

Acme1970
04-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I think it is scheduled for May as of right now.

Nice of SS to alert us