PDA

View Full Version : How would you make a comic movie?

protector2814
05-06-2008, 01:37 PM
I hear lots of cool clatter on this forum about how a particular story line would make a great DC or Marvel movie. The problem with literal comic to film translations lies in the fact that the average Joe-Schmo doesn't read comics and doesn't know the history, so stories have to be kind of "dummed-down" to make them more approachable to the average movie-goer.
Which story-line from comics would you like to see and how would you make it user-friendly? Could a fan-boy really make a money-making comic-book movie?
By the way, I think this has finally, kind of been done with Iron Man.

protector2814
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I think Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns could be made into a fantastic film. The character of Batman is so cinematically-well established that the origin story, which eats up precious minutes of movie-time, could be forgotten.
I'd go back and get 47 year-old George Clooney to reprise his role. only this time no rubber nipples, no silliness at all. I'd have him throw on an extra twenty pounds of thickness, muscle and gristle; keep his hair grey and add a little scar tissue.
I'd kick off the film much like Miller did the comic, with lots of news and sound bites which quickly explain the political and global-warming situations in Gotham and the World.
I may swap out Green Arrow for a more well known DC super hero so I'd save potential "who's that" questions in the audience. Maybe get the actor who played Robin w/ Clooney become the bitter amputee Robin (chris o'donnell). Rupert Everett would play Joker.
Finally, I'd cast a well known, older, pretty-boy for Superman drawing even more comic book novices into the theater. I don't know, maybe Chris Noth from Law and Order and Sex in the City. I'd film it gritty and hot and really stick to the plot right up to the end. I'd make that final fight huge. The punches would vibrate you in your seat with lots of splatter.
Approachable for Joe Schmo or the guy, like me, with 35 long-boxes in his basement.
http://www.zonalibre.org/blog/mcclane/Batman03.jpg

Quicksilver
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
DKR would be such a great movie...

superdoug
05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns could be made into a fantastic film. The character of Batman is so cinematically-well established that the origin story, which eats up precious minutes of movie-time, could be forgotten.
I'd go back and get 46 year-old George Clooney to reprise his role. only this time no rubber nipples, no silliness at all. I'd have him throw on an extra twenty pounds of thickness, muscle and gristle; keep his hair grey and add a little scar tissue.
I'd kick off the film much like Miller did the comic, with lots of news and sound bites which quickly explain the political and global-warming situations in Gotham and the World.
I may swap out Green Arrow for a more well known DC super hero so I'd save potential "who's that" questions in the audience. Maybe get the actor who played Robin w/ Clooney become the bitter amputee (chris o'donnell). Rupert Everett would play Joker.
Finally, I'd cast a well known, older, pretty-boy for Superman drawing even more comic book novices into the theater. I don't know, maybe Chris Noth from Law and Order and Sex in the City. I'd film it gritty and hot and really stick to the plot right up to the end. I'd make that final fight huge. The punches would vibrate you in your seat with lots of splatter.
Approachable for Joe Schmo or the guy, like me, with 35 long-boxes in his basement.
http://www.zonalibre.org/blog/mcclane/Batman03.jpg

I would totally watch that movie over and over. :thumbs2:

cougartrace
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't want to watch an elderly batman fight

RichBamf
05-06-2008, 03:23 PM

Why?

Clint was great in Unforgiven, we're about to see 60 yr old Ford as Indy again, and how old was Connery when he did his last Bond film.

You ever read DKR? It'd be fantastic :buttrock:

protector2814
05-06-2008, 03:31 PM

He wasn't that old in Miller's novel. I'm thinking 50 tops. That's why I'm suggesting Clooney. You'd have that Holy Sh*% moment when you remember that he's already played Bats. It would be alotta fun + he's aging well and would draw in the ladies. I wouldn't want an actor any older for the role.

How 'bout any other stories? I can think of more. If they hadn't already homogenized and watered down the original story in Spidey 1 & 3, The Death of Gwen Stacy story could be done properly and w/o loosing a general audience.

big_red_s
05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Even though comics are practically a medium begging to be made into a movie (they call it "storyboards") I don't think that many could be translated well.

If I could do one it would be Death of Superman -but I wouldn't have the whole Doomsday storyline, I'd start the movie from the final fight with a voice over narration. The movie will be about redemption, overcoming odds and sacrifice.
I'd make it PG bordering PG-13 (I'd rather make an R rated film though).

pendragon
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Big shock there :rolleyes:

moon_knight1971
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd bring back a sexploitation type of film with a bunch of young & nimble women that look great in skin tight leather outfits and have a camera man that films in all sort of provocative angles. :)

VaultMan
05-11-2008, 10:24 PM
A Tarentino-esque 70's type movie about Iron Fist and PowerMan...through in Misty Knight and Colleen Wing and it would be gangsta!

Meteor Man
05-21-2008, 01:06 AM
I would film a major space epic that had a "Star Wars" look to it, but have it be all about the Imperial Guard. I would write a killer screen play about their gathering, and a major in space out of space battle with galaxy spanning villains and the best special effects money could buy...meh, that wouldn't cost too much...:redface: :)