PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or...

The Big Man
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
is it real quiet lately?? Gentle Giant have hardly announced anything recently. The odd thing they have revealed has been anything but exciting at least on the Star Wars front. Where/what are the next full size statues?? Where/what are the next dioramas, maquettes, busts???

It just seems to me that there hasn't been any real buzz around these boards in some time. If you switched the clock back two years it was a world of difference.

I don't know maybe it's just me losing my interest slightly but I can't help think GG are dragging their heels??

What do the rest of you guys think??

Sledge Hammer!
05-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I dunno, it has been awfully quiet of late. Maybe they're saving things up for San Diego Comic Con?

AndyT2
05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
My first posting, i feel Gentle Giant generally begrudge feeding its customers information. Almost as if we are a hindrance and only give info on their website as an afterthought. I love the products but find their customer relations very poor.
I would imagine before and during San diego comic con the blog will become active again. And exclusives and future editions will start flowing again.

Igo
05-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Im sure they're gearing up for SDCC... not too far away.

statuemonger
05-21-2008, 03:46 AM
I have requested info from their website on four occasions with no response. They say 3-5 business days and it has been 2 weeks since my last request!!! I was asking about the Jason maquette and the Count and Ventress statue. What a crappy way to treat a paying customer!!

They Stink, lots!!!!

abarron
05-21-2008, 03:52 AM
They Stink, lots!!!!

And you have just realised this??

I bet they are gonna hold of till SDCC and have a load of exclusives too

armitage
05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know maybe it's just me losing my interest slightly but I can't help think GG are dragging their heels??

It's not just you.
They are dragging their feet.

Brru
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Im sure they're gearing up for SDCC... not too far away.

yeah imagine how much coordination that must take. SDCC is the biggest time of year for them and I remember things got quiet last year to. You couldnt hear it cause we were all complaining about something else at that time.

Phart007
05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
They seem to be taking forever to release things also, the Darth Maul & Bloodfin statue was due in January and it's only just been released.

What about the R2D2 statue ? It must be a year now since that was first announced. :mad:

Hellboy
05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
GG has always been tardy with their releases but there does seem to be an overall lack of product lately. I've been continuing to buy the small amount of MBs I like but am loosing interest in the animated maquettes. I'm not impressed with the new Obi-Wan and think Maul looks ridiculous. I'm at a point now where I'm asking myself if I want to continue collecting the line. Add to that the frustration of years past with the exclusive nightmares and the amount of great product being released by Sideshow means GG is going to need to fight harder to earn my hard earned dollar.

jimmmy
05-22-2008, 11:02 AM
They certainly are slow with getting products out there, but they do have quite a few new pieces due out...Hellboy 2, Wizard of Oz, Indiana Jones, Wall-E, Ratatouille, Halo, and so on.

But I would like to see them stop wasting time on the animated stuff & classics busts, and release more statues of the size and quality of Sandtrooper on Dewback & Rancor...for all their licences, not just Star Wars.

& an Aliens licence would be awesome...a range of busts from the first 2 films would be very cool

Fremen
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Could the slow down in the US economy have anything to do with it??

SolidLiquidFox
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
They are spreading themselves accross way too many licenses. The maquette line for all the licenses have taken a huge loss in interest. Being forced to wrap up the gendy style Clone Wars line may have something to do with it. No Durge, Dooku or Shaak Ti was a crime.

The only consistent sellers they seem to have nowadays are the SW mini busts. People will always buy those and kill themselves at conventions over the exclusives.

The Big Man
05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
They are spreading themselves accross way too many licenses.

I think that's a very good point. When you look at the products they are releasing for the next 3 months on their website its from a lot of different licences and lines. Cr*p like the customz, classics etc just dampens the interest all the more. It seems crazy to me that they are not taking advantage of their star wars licence. I mean if I was GG and I paid the big bucks for the star wars licence i would be fleecing it to death!! And I dont mean with junk like the customz and classics line, I mean the mini bust, statue and dioramas. They haven't even done a Luke Skywalker fs statue yet!! What is the deal with that??

Its not even like its that hard too figure out wht characters people want. Everyone knows the troopers and bad guys are the most popular but where are they ?? (snowtroopers, at-at drivers etc or any of jabbas cronies or the cantina patrons) Its just beyond me what their thinking is. How many lists have we done on these boards stating the characters we want most?? Market research aint that hard!!

The Big Man
05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Another point that just occured to me is that they seem to release a tonne of stuff all around the same time (usually just before xmas) and then there is this lull for a long time before they release a bunch of stuff in one go again before the next xmas.

glassdancer
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe they're working on trying to make some Episode 1, the Phantom Menace busts....

Like......

1-A Young Anakin Bust holding his Pod-racer helmet (Like the X-Wing Luke)
2-A Jar-Jar Binks Bust
3-A Padawan Obi Wan Kenobi bust
4-A Viceroy and Nute Gunray bust
5-A battle droid bust
6-A Senator Palpatine bust
7-one of the 15-20 various Pamde Amidala outfits (bust)
8-A Shmi Skywalker bust
9-A Watto bust
10-A Sebulba Bust

and so on and so on......

At least 10 more really great ideas for great busts that COULD be made to add to the line.....

As we know,.....

ONLY a Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jin have been acknowledged from an ENTIRE MOVIE!!

makes no sense.

armitage
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM

makes no sense.

Jango Fett and Count Dooku as well as AOTC Yoda, Padme, Zam Wesell were released along time ago.
The prequels don't hold as much interest for me personally.
Not to say I wouldn't buy some of the characters on your list....yes even Jar Jar.
I'd rather them focus on the OT.
Give us an Emporer,AT-AT Driver or even an Ewok for God sakes.
Hell..I'd even be happy if they finished off the bounty hunter set with 4LOM, as it now still stands incomplete.

riderV3
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
They need to get the LOTR Sauron bust out already, been forever since it's announced!:banghead:

Olórin
05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Sauron was announced for this month, so we should be getting him by december :banghead:

MONSTER
05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I think they lost alot of steam after last years nonsense with a million exclusives and the PGM memberships. I gave up collecting their stuff last year and I know alot of other people did as well.

Juggernaut
05-24-2008, 09:26 AM
what about the 1/4 Voldemort statue when is the release date on that one?

risingstar
05-25-2008, 11:50 AM
R2D2 statue was cancelled, wasn't it?
I think the Han Solo was the last solicited original trilogy statue, right?

I remember hearing something about a Yoda statue from ESB.... However, there's aren't any pics yet.

The Big Man
05-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the Han Solo was the last solicited original trilogy statue, right?

I remember hearing something about a Yoda statue from ESB.... However, there's aren't any pics yet.

Ask and you shall receive... (though admitedly this isn't final)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/thekatana/actionfigurexpress_1985_102070862.jpg

The Big Man
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I wonder if with the way he has his hand out they might do something clever with the base like he is levitating some rocks or some such??

risingstar
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the pics!

I like the Gentle Giant statues. I have all but one of their Star Wars original trilogy statues. I missed out of the Dewback statue.

armitage
05-25-2008, 05:39 PM

It was rescheduled
They went and retooled it to include some of his open compartments and his "limbs".
It looks cool now that you can see some of his gadgets.

glassdancer
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Maybe they're working on trying to make some Episode 1, the Phantom Menace busts....

Like......

1-A Young Anakin Bust holding his Pod-racer helmet (Like the X-Wing Luke)
2-A Jar-Jar Binks Bust
3-A Padawan Obi Wan Kenobi bust
4-A Viceroy and Nute Gunray bust
5-A battle droid bust
6-A Senator Palpatine bust
7-one of the 15-20 various Pamde Amidala outfits (bust)
8-A Shmi Skywalker bust
9-A Watto bust
10-A Sebulba Bust

and so on and so on......

At least 10 more really great ideas for great busts that COULD be made to add to the line.....

As we know,.....

makes no sense.

sory for quoting myself,....but I kinda find it appropriate in this situation...