PDA

View Full Version : GUARD YOUR GAS TANKS!!!

rychehitman
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Mechanics, police say gas theft changing with times

DETROIT - Dale Fortin is getting a new kind of customer at his Detroit auto repair shop, customers who have not just been in a fender-bender or had a windshield smashed by a rock.

The soaring price of crude oil has turned gas tanks into a cache of valuable booty, and Fortin has replaced several tanks punctured or drilled by thieves thirsting for the nearly $4-a-gallon fuel inside.

"That's the new fad," said the co-owner of Dearborn Auto Tech in Detroit. "I'd never seen it before gas got up this high."

While gas station drive-offs and siphoning are far more common methods of stealing gas, reports of tank and line puncturing are starting to trickle into police departments and repair shops across the country.

Some veteran mechanics and law enforcement officers say it's an unwelcome return of a crime they first saw during the Middle East oil embargo of the early 1970s.

Gasoline prices surged just before the long Memorial Day holiday weekend and crept a hair higher overnight Monday to a new record national average $3.937 for a gallon of regular, according to a survey of stations by AAA and the Oil Price Information Service.

Given their height, Fortin said pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles are more vulnerable to the thieves who puncture the tanks and use a container to catch the fuel.

Plastic tanks are typically the target, he said, since there is less chance of a catastrophic spark, and they are easier to drill into.

A design change may also be contributing to the preference for a drill rather than a syphoning hose. The tanks in many vehicles now have check balls, which prevent spills in a rollover accident. They also make siphoning more difficult.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/maverick51507/siphon_gas_060903.jpg

In recent weeks, police in Denver arrested two suspects in connection with about a dozen cases of damaging tanks and stealing gas.

Denver Police Det. John White sees this "new way of siphoning gas" as a bigger problem.

"What made this particular method so dangerous and concerning for us was the way in which they were doing it — using cordless drills to puncture holes in these tanks," he said of the rash of cases his department has investigated this spring. "The heat, friction generated could have easily sparked a fire. It just made for a dangerous situation for the suspects and the community."

Tank puncturing has yet to reach the radar screens of law enforcement organizations such as the National Sheriffs' Association, or the Automotive Service Association, a group that represents independent garage operators.

Still, at least one insurance company has taken notice: AAA Mid-Atlantic issued a press release earlier this month that cited a case in April in Bethesda, Md., involving a thief who broke the fuel line underneath a car and sapped five gallons of gas. Montgomery County police said a bus in the same parking lot had 30 gallons of diesel stolen.

"These are crimes of opportunity," said AAA spokeswoman Catherine Rossi. "Right now, some people think that stealing gas is a way to get rich quick. It becomes a question of whether you're leaving yourself open to the possibility that someone can get to your car without being seen."

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/bmerton/HardDog_13FuelConnect.jpg

The cost of replacing a metal tank on passenger vehicles is between $300 and $400, and the plastic tank common on newer vehicles would be at least $500.

Bruce Burnham said thieves have hit the Budget Truck Rental business he owns in Shreveport, La., about a half-dozen times in the past three years. The thefts started shortly after Hurricane Katrina when prices spiked, then stopped for a while, then restarted about a year ago.

In some cases the gas lines have been cut; in others, gas has been pumped out. He figures he's lost at least a few thousand dollars in stolen fuel, repair costs and loss of rental fees.

Burnham said he has taken "extra measures to protect the vehicles," but declined to elaborate.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/nygiantplaya/drilling.jpg
Gas and diesel aren't the only fuels being plundered. Restaurants from Berkeley, Calif., to Sedgwick, Kan., are reporting thefts of old cooking oil worth thousands of dollars. Cooking oil rustlers refine it into barrels of biofuel in backyard stills. Biodiesel can also be blended with petroleum diesel, and blends of the alternative fuel are now sold at 1,400 gas stations across the country.

Still, the theft of regular unleaded gasoline — the kind that leaves everyday drivers high and dry — is on the minds of more law enforcement agencies as prices rise.

Troy Police Lt. Gerry Scherlinck said his suburban Detroit department this month received a report of a stored motor home whose tank was siphoned and drained of 50 gallons of gas. They also had several incidents last year in industrial parks where the gas tanks of vehicles were punctured.

"Gas is liquid gold these days, and has been for the last year-and-a-half," Scherlinck said. "I would anticipate seeing more of these kinds of incidents as the price continues to go up."

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/rjcoxen/gold-bar.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080527/ap_on_bi_ge/punctured_gas_tanks

Perna
05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
That's frickin' insane!!!! Gas up here is over $5.00 a gallon.

Today it was $1.28 a liter.

boondocksaint
05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
yup and the gas companies are making record breaking profits in the billions i heard...oh well !

Perna
05-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

mwf6171
05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
That is funny as I was just thinking of this topic today.

armitage
05-28-2008, 01:23 AM
It sucks.
Literally.
This is the year 2008, we should be able to F**&ing teleport wherever we want to go.:laugh:

Davidian
05-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Gas for me right now is $4.23 a gallon....that's nothing compared to other places, but still.

Teague
05-28-2008, 11:18 AM
The Denver case cited in this article actually happened up here in my neighborhood. A guy I know was one of the people hit by it. It really sucked. Cost him almost $600 to have it fixed, and all for the want of maybe $20 in gas (his tank was only half-full, if that, he said). Those guys were idiots--they could easily have killed themselves (and possibly other people) doing that. They're in jail now, by the way. And they ought to get an extra five years for stupidity.

My wife's car has already been siphoned twice so far, too, because she doesn't have a latching fuel cover. I'm buying her a locking gas cap this weekend.

Argonus
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah.. we've had people breaking onto our dock and siphoning gas from our boat (I'm assuming for their car) before... the "usual crime" is people siphoning from cars for their boat.. haha. It's starting to happen all around the lake, probably will pick up even more as the summer kicks in. New crime for property owners.

Tahoe's usually a pretty safe lake, so that was a slap in the face.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
05-28-2008, 01:31 PM
yup and the gas companies are making record breaking profits in the billions i heard...oh well !

Coolio more money for me.

If you want lower prices go tell China & India to stop paying top dollar for the oil.

I'll be right here when you get back.

hellboydce
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM
£1.30ish a litre over here and out of that the petrol costs about 0.43 pence a litre, the rest is tax

ratchet
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
If gas gets high enough - it could be considered Grand Theft!

ANGRYCOMICMAN
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
£1.30ish a litre over here and out of that the petrol costs about 0.43 pence a litre, the rest is tax

YEP!
Same here.
The cities, states & federal government are making 100X what the oil companies are making.
The oil companies work on between 3.5 & 6% profit of the base cost of petrol refinement.

In my buisiness I can't survive on 21%-25%.:(

glassdancer
05-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm so sorry to say this but I am so glad I don't have children.

I know I've said it before, but I really am glad that Vivienne and I have decided to not have kids as I would not wish to subject children to this f***ed up world we live in.

Every day, it just gets more and more pathetic.

Arnold said it best in Terminator 2, when he was talking to Edward Norton.....

he said,....

"it's in your nature to destroy yourselves!"

that's exactly why the main mother robot in "IRobot" was having all of the robots kill off humans,...because we're so stupid to the point where we will end up destroying ourselves in the process of achieving greatness.

Because enough is never enough.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
05-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm so sorry to say this but I am so glad I don't have children.

I know I've said it before, but I really am glad that Vivienne and I have decided to not have kids as I would not wish to subject children to this f***ed up world we live in.

Every day, it just gets more and more pathetic.

Arnold said it best in Terminator 2, when he was talking to Edward Norton.....

he said,....

"it's in your nature to destroy yourselves!"

that's exactly why the main mother robot in "IRobot" was having all of the robots kill off humans,...because we're so stupid to the point where we will end up destroying ourselves in the process of achieving greatness.

Because enough is never enough.

I intend to live, if need be, at the expense of all the stupid people.

glassdancer
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I intend to live, if need be, at the expense of all the stupid people.

fer sure.

Let's all live....

I just wish we could all live in harmony and in peace.

But that would just be too much too ask.

Oh well,.......

Vince-Vell
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Bah the government has secret alien technology that can run vehicles on water!!!!!!

Now all they need to do is introduce it!!!!