PDA

View Full Version : Grade of your comics

furie
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I purchased a large amount of random books a while ago. A mistake. Today, I was going through my books. I weeded out a ton of the books I didn't want and donated them to good will. Now, there are some books that are not in the best of shape, but not junk by any means. Most of these books were from the late 80's and early 90's.

Do you guys have a certain grade cut off? And do you mix grades within your collection? Do you get rid of books not up to snuff?

Curious.

Furie

marvelboi77
03-09-2005, 01:55 AM
You know I try to keep my comics in nice shape. But comics to me arn't a collectible really, so I really don't mind what's in my collection, if some are good and some arn't. Unless it's a special book like Detective 359, first Batgirl, I have a crap copy and a Near Mint Copy.

Perna
03-09-2005, 02:46 AM
my copies range from very fine to near mint.

JR2
03-09-2005, 09:44 AM
my copies range from very fine to near mint.

Most of mine are in these two categories as well. There is an occasional book in fine.

There are also a few in worse shape (most from my childhood), but I have duplicate copies in VF-NM of those.

mwf6171
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Some of my comics from when I was a kid aren't in that great of shape, but anymore, they get read once and then never again......I used to have some old Kirby Mr Miracles that I got cheap that are in fair to good condition.....Actually, not really sure the grading system.........If I go buy a back issue, it is usually near mint or mint....

I prefer all my comics to be minty mint, new grade!! :laugh:

Bartman256
03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I try to keep an upper grade collection. You can see in the collection picture thead some of the books are 4.0 or even a couple of 2.0s. I wanted to complete my collection with these key books without going overboard with the cost.
There are exceptions throughout my collection.
An example would be a purchase I made in the mid 90's. I had the opportunity to buy a LARGE Silver Age, 1 owner collection, consisting of Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men and Daredevil.
These were mostly HIGH GRADE, F/VF-VF/NM books. The only catch was this...
The original owner purchased all these books new off the stands. The weird thing is, he had a numbering system. This numbering was written on the cover of each book. As time went on, he would change this numbering system...that meant crossing out the old number & writing a new one. He did this several times.
Another thing he did was write personal stuff in a few of the issues, 1st page, bottom edge. An example would be, "Today my mother died".
When the original owner died, his brother sold the books to a dealer. He "sat" on them for some time. I came along, he offered them to me, I snatched them up. Because of this writing on the covers, I got them at VERY GOOD grade prices.
Below is an example: Amazing Spider-Man 16. You can see the 4 marks on the cover, 2 in blue & 2 in green. CGC gave it a 6.0, FINE. If not for the writing, I believe it would have been a 7.0, maybe 7.5.
I love these books. The lower grade copies I've sold and replaced with higher grades.

So I try to stay in the higher grades, but there are exceptions.