PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you guys been affected by the Midwest floods?

darthrobbler
06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
As you all know the Midwest has just been dumped on lately, especially the area in Iowa where I and a few other fellow forumers live. First we had a F5 tornado tear thru some of our towns causing massive devastion and totally leveling everything in it's path. Whole communitees were destoryed. And second is the floods. We live in the area just north of Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in towns that the Cedar river flows through. Our local college, University of Northern Iowa has even be turned into a Red Cross Disaster Relief refuge for many who have lost there homes due to the floods.
I own a comic store in our community and the stories of peoples collections that have been destroyed is heartbreaking. One friend lost every comic because the waters totally engulfed his home and he didn't have time to get anything out. These waters hit us fast. One minute nothing and then the next BOOM you had water upto your waist. Guys this has been really insane.
One of our own has been affected. SF member- Rafter. For everyone here who knows Rafter you know he is a HUGE Bowen collector and fan. Last year he lost some very wonderful statues due to a shelf collapse.
He was lucky. He didn't lose his collection or suffer too much damage to his home. Don't get me wrong his house did take on water and suffered damage but the house is still there. He was able to get his family and collection out of harms way in time. The collection went to the upper floors and the family had to stay with friends and family. The room he kept his collection in took on water and has to be redone but luckly nothing was destroyed. It is just hard when you go to your friends house and remembering what it looked like before and now everything is displaced.
I started this thread because with all the devasation around us here and what looks like is not done yet in the midwest because the flood water keeps heading south to IL and MO, how many collections are going to be affected?
My thoughts go out to any one who suffers from this flooding, be it loss of family, home or collections.

JadeGiant
06-21-2008, 11:55 PM
not too bad here at all ... bummer for all of you guys that are flooded out ... hope that insurance takes care of you all

cyberstatue
06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Can't imagine what it's like to lose a home, something you've spent most of your adult life's efforts to take care of, renovate, raise a family, and all else.

T Rhodes
06-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't post here much, I have a hard time keeping up with all the boards. But I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and we got hit HARD. But you may have seen that all on the news. But I thought I should say something, I've got some kits from some gentlemen on this board, and let them and anyone else know that I escaped the flood. If I hadn't moved a year ago, I would have been completely flooded out. And since I was working in the basement, probably would have lost everything.
Even though I'm ok, it's sad to see my city torn apart like this. But everyone has come together as a community and really done a miraculous job taking care of the situation, and the cleanup that has now begun.
Got some pictures on my blog, (blog.garagekitzombie.com) a few that I took myself or otherwise weren't publicly available.
Thanks to everyone who emailed or contacted me to check up and see if I was ok.
I was one of the lucky ones for sure!

endsongjen
06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
wow im sorry guys :(
hope everyone and their families are well.