PDA

View Full Version : Elektra Colorized

insomniac
03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone, this is a first for me but I just got my Elektra commission by Sean Chen colorized. The digital colors were done by Tom Smith. I am extremely happy with the results and hope to have more done in the future. If anyone has any artwork they also want colored feel free to email me and I will send you Tom's email address for you to get in touch with him. The cost of the digital colors was $70 and the turn around time was one day. :)

marvelboi77
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Pretty cool.. How does that work he just sends you a print of it colored.

bigben7
03-09-2005, 11:10 PM
i was considering gettin a few of mine colored but im not sure i wanna go with digital. you more or less are paying a hi price for a print.i want hand colored. it takes tom a few eeks and the other set back is you have to get the piece inked first before he hand colors it

insomniac
03-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Pretty cool.. How does that work he just sends you a print of it colored.

I chose the digital colors so all I had to do was send him a scan of the original artwork and he emailed me back a jpg. I think for $10 more he will send you a print of the image as well but I just took mine down to Kinko's today and printed off a 11x17 and 8x10 on the laser printer for $9. The prints look great.

insomniac
03-09-2005, 11:17 PM
i was considering gettin a few of mine colored but im not sure i wanna go with digital. you more or less are paying a hi price for a print.i want hand colored. it takes tom a few eeks and the other set back is you have to get the piece inked first before he hand colors it

Yep, hand colors are another option too. I am not sure if the piece has to be inked though.

bigben7
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
tom told me you have to have them inked before you have them hand colored

insomniac
03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
tom told me you have to have them inked before you have them hand colored

Hi BB7, Tom came by the forum and read the post and emailed me this reply:

I prefer to hand color inked images because once you apply color paint to a
penciled image it completely covers the pencil lines there by making it more a
painting. I can do that but it costs more.

The downside it then it makes more a Tom Smith painting then a Sean Chen
drawing with color. Having it inked solves that problem and keeps the comic book
look to the art.

Digtaly coloring penciled images is no problem becuse you can darking the
pencil lines on the computer to give them an inked look.

Hand coloring is also more time consuming and more costly.

bigben7
03-10-2005, 02:03 AM
ya tom is kewl.
i eventually am gonna get some things colored but i need to get them inked first.

insomniac
03-10-2005, 02:08 AM
ya tom is kewl.
i eventually am gonna get some things colored but i need to get them inked first.

I got an email from Joe Rubinstein a while back at Comic Art Fans offering his inking services. If you are interested I can send you his email address.

bigben7
03-10-2005, 02:21 AM
ya thats kewl
pm it to me
i was lookin to at least get my gene colan inked when it arrives

Logan
04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
You paid 70 for the coloring? That's expensive because the coloring isn't that good.

JadeGiant
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
where did you get the Chen commission?

Scottsdale Saint
04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
where did you get the Chen commission?chen usually does commissions at the conventions he does appearances at. he's usually set up with tommy lee edwards (awesome artist and good guy), cliff chiang and john paul leon. they have a name for their studio, but i'm spacing it right now.

their commission rates are usually $40 for a head shot, $60 for a full body and on up from there for more sophistacated jobs. they're all pretty nice guys and i almost always get something from one of them at every show i go to. hope that helps.

ironmanfan001
04-19-2006, 10:08 PM
nice Chen commission and Smith colors. I have a large piece hand colored by Tom. It's framed up on the wall....