PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Bob's a question! no pics, just talk.

Bob D
07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I thought it would be good to have a thread just for questions, as there are so many threads that we might not see some questions. So this will be just a question and answer spot, no pics.

AsOneDead
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Do you guys also do the clothing?

Bob D
07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes we do. I did all the gloves for the batsuits(leather) myself, and the boots. As well as the Begins gloves(neoprene) Bob C. did any clothing you see on busts, along with his wife Andrea.

stretchbaldy
07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Do you guys also do the clothing?

.....Bobby C and company did the clothing for my David!

AsOneDead
07-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Impressive.

Bob D
07-04-2008, 11:54 AM
we rarely farm anything out. reason is that most of the time this stuff has to be so exact, and done in a certain way, that local people in our areas are not prepared to do a lot of one-off type stuff, and put the time in to understand the genre. I did try to have someone cut glass for the tumbler, and I had to take it back twice, and they still didn't get it right. So now I gotta do it over myself. It never seems to pan out.

reevz666
07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
hey guys!

I have a few questions

1. Bob D.- How would you go about running a foam latex cowl and making it seamless...what type of mold would you have to make in order to achieve this? I know that the films used a collapsible core, but I was wondering if you had a different method, and if so could you please outline the steps?

2. Bobby C - when molding your sculpts, do you take steps to spray the sculpt down with a dull finish to make the surface of the mold less glossy so when you pull your silicone piece it's a more mat finish?? And once you begin painting the silicone, what is your process..I know that some people use pastels, baby powder and actual make-up...and once the paint job in finished, what can you do to seal the finished piece to keep the original "matt" finish...Is there a silicone sealer that doesn't look shiny??

thanks guys!

Bob D
07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Your right I do not use a collapsable core. Biggest reason is that I'm a lazy bum, and don't wanna take the time to make one lol. Getting the mold on and off is just a hands-on thing that I sort started doing years ago. I just sort of weasel it on, and weasel it off. But at first I did tear a few foam runs to shreds doing that. I would actually not recommend doing it this way. If I had it to over I would use a collapsable core, cause it will just make life easier in the long run. Do as I say, not as I do lol..
however on the 89' cowl they did have a part up the back of the neck as you know, so they could slide in the core(keaton). I did just that on my 89 stuff. MUCH easier. funny thing is that the whole 89 ensemble was a lot more difficult to put together than any others past 92'. Foam latex itself is tough, but add to that all the extra stuff you have to do for molds to make the whole thing doable for foam latex. Such as collapsable cores, sprues, injection point tubes, a holder for the injection gun on the mold itself, the list goes on....

Vader
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
will you be starting the 1:1 from predator 2 soon?

Andy Bergholtz
07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
2 questions for ya:

1. Are you looking for an apprentice?

2. When can I start?

:D

I've always been a HUGE fan of all your work, you guys amaze me. I love 1:1 stuff and yours is so damn inspiring.

Bob D
07-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Quite a while back Bob And I were looking at some site that had a whole bunch of sculptors listed from a to z. Most was original stuff. Not having done a lot of hard core original monsters ourselves we were looking to find the best creature designer for our own inspiration, in that we would get into original creature design someday. you won..

Bobby C
07-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi Guys, Sean , I spray the clay with primer. I will have a tutorial on the silicon soon.
Andy , Big fan of your work you have some serious talent! and anytime anyone wants to come by your more then welcome, I offer it to Ray V as well
Thanks for stopping in!

wx1585
07-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Did you build your own foam latex oven or did you buy it ? if so where and whered you get the neoprene?

El Diablo
07-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I was wondering as silicone deteriorates over time what the expected life span for you busts?

Bobby C
07-05-2008, 05:20 AM
good question diablo, I have had no problems with pieces 8yrs old, still mint.

Bob D
07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a 1ton stainless steel industrial oven. You could easily fit about 7 people in it standing up. You need this kind of space because you must have sufficient air flow around each mold, otherwise you will have hot spots, and cold spots. The hot spots will build steam inside the mold, and crush the foam before it is fully cured, hence ruining the piece. I will put up a foam thread shortly. Not a fan of home-made ovens. Much better results with something of an industrial made type. Bob C. our other body-builder friend Kevin, and another big guy helped get it into my garage. and the 4 of us had a hard time, but we did it.

JadeGiant
07-05-2008, 11:36 AM
any plans for a Hulk in the future?

what do you do with all the stuff you guys create? One-off? limited runs?

I am extremely impressed with your work!

Bob D
07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
When the first hulk movie came out, we did mull over the possibility, but never did it. who knows. Our thing has always been realism. i.e. if we did a hulk we would want it to appear as if it were a realistic, living thing. Not ness. a direct interpetation of the film one.

wx1585
07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
like a powder coat oven?

k-9
07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
hi guys,you have done a demon batman..have you thought of doing a demon scarecrow bust?

Bobby C
07-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Thats not a bad idea K-9 , but you know .
the demon bat is how I would like to see Batman all the time.

Andy Bergholtz
07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Quite a while back Bob And I were looking at some site that had a whole bunch of sculptors listed from a to z. Most was original stuff. Not having done a lot of hard core original monsters ourselves we were looking to find the best creature designer for our own inspiration, in that we would get into original creature design someday. you won..

Wow. :o That's certainly high praise! Thanks for the encouraging words, coming from you that is a pretty intense shot in the arm. Same to you Bobby C!

TOM S.
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Do you guy's have any plans to do another Ron Perlman/Hellboy? Possibly a full figure? The earlier bust was very well done (to say the least!)- just curious to see what you would do with the character at this stage of the game!

Vader
07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
The bust is great. Wish sideshow picked it up.

TOM S.
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Agreed, on both counts! Love to see a full body interpretation some day!

JadeGiant
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
When the first hulk movie came out, we did mull over the possibility, but never did it. who knows. Our thing has always been realism. i.e. if we did a hulk we would want it to appear as if it were a realistic, living thing. Not ness. a direct interpetation of the film one.

I for one hope you guys give it a go at some point ... I am sure it would be be spectacular!:buttrock:

JadeGiant
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM

ottorino
10-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Waiting for someone to do a 1/3 scale full body silicone stallone from the rambo movies, any in the pipeline from you talented sculpters?