PDA

View Full Version : Canon 40D SLR

mwf6171
07-17-2008, 11:27 PM
My wife informed me that I would be getting her one of these for her Christmas present this year. Does anyone have any information on what lenses I should get, she enjoys taking fotos of landscapes, buildings, our kids.......etc.

What is a good price for one of these and what size of memory card should I get??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

P1X4R
07-18-2008, 12:07 AM
yo Mikey! Zurb and geto both have the 40D so they should be able to chime with specifics. i have the previous 30D model which i'm quite happy with. it's a great sports camera!

as for lenses. before you go hogwild on them.. check out this link with pictures. it also has a nice price guide which is in the ballpark range.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

SquiderM3
07-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Here's another link that I found very useful when I had my Canons.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Zoom-Vs-Prime-Lens.aspx

k9ziggy
07-23-2008, 12:08 AM
We bought one a couple of months ago. It came with the 28-135 with IS (image stabilization) and we also got a 75-300, no IS.

The 28 is a really nice, all purpose lens which has allowed some great wider and zoomed pics. The 75 is very nice for the zoomed stuff, BUT you do need some distance to work with if you want to get much in the shot. I think my next lens will be something in the 50-200 category, kinda covering the best of both worlds in one walking around lens.

As far as the IS, it is helpful, but REALLY jacks the lens price. Either plan to use a tripod/monopod or be able to lock your elbows in tight without it though.

As a suggestion for getting familiar, there is a book specifically for the 40D by David Busch which is very good. Plain speak, covers all the bases. Some other really good books are the Digital Photography Book 1 and 2 by Scott Kelby. Very tongue-in-cheek writing but usable stuff, right away. I took a photo class on Betterphoto.com, called Getting Control of your camera, which was extremely helpful in that it forced me to learn how to do what the lessons laid out. It was 4 weekly on line lessons and was $188. If you think you want to go that way, PM me as I can get you on the refer-a-friend deal and save you a couple of bucks.

This was my first "real" camera, and I love it. There is so much to learn and experiment with. It is awesome and you won't regret it.

Soul
07-23-2008, 12:39 AM
As far as lenses go, for someone starting out the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a great choice. Light-weight, great IQ overall and easy on the wallet too (to say the least). Still use it quite a lot.

Good luck. The 40D is a great camera. Bought mine at B&H.

MK Ultra
07-23-2008, 01:42 AM
I purchased a Canon EOS 40D a week ago, just waiting on the remote shutter switch and an instructional DVD:D to help familiarize with the cam. as the controls interface looks a bit different to the Rebel Xti I have. I looks as though it has gone down in price a bit with the new model coming out in Nov.? in January it was going for 1400 for the body only, I got mine in kit form with the EF 28-135 IS USM lens for 1150 USD.

geto10
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I had the EF 24-105 f/4 ISL first, good lens, it has IS (image stabilizer), but the f4 is too high..

So now I have EF 24-70 f/2.8L, which is way better. It's more sharper and easier to work it. One down side is that it doesn't have IS.. I wish Canon would release this lens with IS, it'd gladly add $300-500 for that feature.

40D is an awesome camera, but it's a bit heavy.. Maybe your wife would want a 450D instead?

mwf6171
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback!! My wife has demo'ed the 40D and likes the features on it more than the 450D.

Any more comments/advise/feedback would be wonderful!!! :D

geto10
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback!! My wife has demo'ed the 40D and likes the features on it more than the 450D.

Any more comments/advise/feedback would be wonderful!!! :D

Get a battery grip, it's a MUST for this camera! :thumbs2:

mwf6171
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Get a battery grip, it's a MUST for this camera! :thumbs2:

Yes, it is! It is already on the list of gear she wants. If anyone can show me a place to get one for a great discount............:p

k9ziggy
07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
bhphotovideo.com

They have a lot of stuff, decent prices.