PDA

View Full Version : Any HISTORY readers?

Dr. Manhattan
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Much of my pleasure reading is focused on American history, and currently, the era including the 18th century and through the War of 1812. Anyone else enjoy reading history?

I just finished a biography on Charles Pinckney (a "forgotten" founding father), which was short but good (not much remains on his life...more on his cousins Charles C. & Thomas).

But what I am excited about is a pretty inclusive biography on Thomas Jefferson (by Merrill Peterson), at a bit over 1000 pages. It's a leather-bound book I just received from Easton Press. This is my first such book from them. They produce leather-bound books for many of the "classics". I look forward to collecting some of my favorite books in this form....I think they'll make nice "heirlooms". If anyone else is interested in them, he should check out the website for Easton Press...pretty fun to browse, at the least.

madjazz
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend of mine who is trying to read a definitive book on each of the Presidents in order. I always thought that was a cool thing to do.

That doesn't help you, though.

I just got back from Gettysburg. Does that help? :)

'Nuff
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Much of my pleasure reading is focused on American history, and currently, the era including the 18th century and through the War of 1812. Anyone else enjoy reading history?

I just finished a biography on Charles Pinckney (a "forgotten" founding father), which was short but good (not much remains on his life...more on his cousins Charles C. & Thomas).

But what I am excited about is a pretty inclusive biography on Thomas Jefferson (by Merrill Peterson), at a bit over 1000 pages. It's a leather-bound book I just received from Easton Press. This is my first such book from them. They produce leather-bound books for many of the "classics". I look forward to collecting some of my favorite books in this form....I think they'll make nice "heirlooms". If anyone else is interested in them, he should check out the website for Easton Press...pretty fun to browse, at the least.

Welcome to the Forum...Ya wanna know anything about the ACW...I'm your source...:)

Dr. Manhattan
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend of mine who is trying to read a definitive book on each of the Presidents in order. I always thought that was a cool thing to do.

That doesn't help you, though.

I just got back from Gettysburg. Does that help? :)

Thanks.

Hey, Thanks.

If your friend wants to do that with the presidents, he should check out the Easton Press site. They have leather bound books on most all the presidents...I can't speak to the quality of each book. I can say that McCullough's bio on J. Adams is very thorough.

Dr. Manhattan
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the Forum...Ya wanna know anything about the ACW...I'm your source...:)

Thanks so much.

What's the "ACW"?

madjazz
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks so much.

What's the "ACW"?

Alamo Cluster-F War :)

madjazz
07-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks.

Hey, Thanks.

If your friend wants to do that with the presidents, he should check out the Easton Press site. They have leather bound books on most all the presidents...I can't speak to the quality of each book. I can say that McCullough's bio on J. Adams is very thorough.
It wouldn't surprise me if he already has. He said some Presidents have lots of books on them and some you have to go through the particular President's library to order one or go through other channels to identify books.

JM28Cardiff
07-24-2008, 06:33 AM
I like what might be termed "popular history" books, quirky single subject books like Longitude. Ive read books on the history of salt, sugar, cod, sweets, even read a good book on the history of bookshelves! I also like books about books.

madjazz
07-24-2008, 07:04 AM
I like what might be termed "popular history" books, quirky single subject books like Longitude. Ive read books on the history of salt, sugar, cod, sweets, even read a good book on the history of bookshelves! I also like books about books.
Was Longitude about the search for an accurate way of keeping time at sea so that accurate long distance sea voyages could be achieved? I saw a fascinating program on that years ago and got to see many of the attempts when I toured the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

Dr. Manhattan
07-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh, BTW, how does one change the "subtitle" under the handle name mine currently reads "D'oh")? I did not see that option under the "edit profile" section. Thanks.

madjazz
07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks so much.

What's the "ACW"?
Actually it means American Civil War. :thumbs2:

madjazz
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh, BTW, how does one change the "subtitle" under the handle name mine currently reads "D'oh")? I did not see that option under the "edit profile" section. Thanks.
It changes randomly based on your post count. If you'd like something specific, send an e-mail to a Mod and they will comply if they approve.

nbr3bagshotrow
07-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Just curious. Dr M, are you a collector of anything comic related? Just interesting you started your posting in the Books, Literature, & News category asking about readers of history in a forum focused on comics and statues.

Dr. Manhattan
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Actually it means American Civil War. :thumbs2:

Ah, you mean TWBS (the War Between the States). Gotcha. :thumbs2:

Dr. Manhattan
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Just curious. Dr M, are you a collector of anything comic related? Just interesting you started your posting in the Books, Literature, & News category asking about readers of history in a forum focused on comics and statues.

I know. ;) This seems a peculiar place to start posting, I know. I did look through the other current posts and didn't see where I could add anything constructive to current discussions elsewhere, so I started here. I am a big non-fiction reader (though not generally, of comic books), so it's nice to see this category available.

I have about 110 or so statues & busts, ~95% of which are statues. These are mostly all Marvel (Bowen & Sideshow, and some others).

JM28Cardiff
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Was Longitude about the search for an accurate way of keeping time at sea so that accurate long distance sea voyages could be achieved? I saw a fascinating program on that years ago and got to see many of the attempts when I toured the Royal Observatory in Greenwich.

Thats the one, its by Dava Sobel. Its a great read, sold like hot cakes, a lot of imitators came in its wake.

Argonus
07-24-2008, 09:43 PM
"The History of Knowledge" is a book I'd suggest you read.. very entertaining, while informative.

"World Without Us" involves history, but it also involves our future. :) Also a great read.

Argonus
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Hahaha!! Speaking of "subtitles" under our names.. I AM actually writing my autobiography.. scary. :)

Gah... now it changed.. never mind.