PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Glue

Wesley Pierce
07-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Made an accidental discovery the other evening and was wondering if anyone had ever used Gorilla Glue, or anything like it, to create a cave like scene with stalagmite/stalactites with the substance.

Argonus
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I use Gorilla Glue for small projects around the house...

I could TOTALLY see how it could make stalagtites/stalagmites, etc.. it hardens so fast.

Great glue, but you gotta be cautious with it. :)

nbr3bagshotrow
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Those living in California and dealing with Earthquakes could use Gorilla Glue to hold their busts/statues down on their shelving.:confused2

Wesley Pierce
07-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Here is an initial look at what came from this.. I am going to play around with it a bit and see what happens.. As I look at the separated pieces I realize it would probably be great for sea coral as well.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/wespierce1/Stalagmite1.jpg

By the way, the way I found out it could be used this way:

I was working on some wood projects at my home and had left. I had a small open container of clean water I was going to use to clean my brushes with next to my small bench. I left to grab a bite to eat and when I had returned I saw that the gorilla glue had spilled over into the container. Gorilla glue works faster when damp, some type of chemical reaction to being mixed with the fluid or some such, not sure, it's why they recommend you dampen one side of the material you are working with.

Anyway, I return and see the glue has begun to spill into the container and has begun to expand and "foam up". It looked interesting to me so I left the glue in the container, cleaned up the rest ( no easy chore mind you), and saw when it had completed it's process that it could have alternate uses like the one I brought up in this topic.

Like I said earlier, I will play with it a bit and see what happens. Keep you posted.

Tattoo-S
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Wes: Hubby uses GG around the house on many different things. Looks like you stumbled onto something good. I can see coral, and possibly flames....also....(well, I can be dirty minded) so lets just say that if you have a good imagination, there other "things" that can be found. :laugh:

Wesley Pierce
07-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Just tossed some primer on and it looks pretty good. I imagine this could be used for all kinds of things, even those little dirty things lol. Silly gal.

Anyway.. here are some primed pics, reduced in size for your loading benefit.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/wespierce1/primedside2.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p210/wespierce1/primedside1.jpg

Have fun with some gorilla glue guys.. I am going to be experimenting with it for a while now.

Hints I know for sure.. Place in fairly decent amount of water.. approximately 8-10 parts water for 1 part glue.

Rounded coral, use a small 20 oz coke bottle, or a liter... for larger projects and different sizes try an aquarium bowl or other such things.. Leave sitting for a day to a day and one half.

Glue on bottom may be wet still so after draining, rinsing, and draining again, carefully extract the glue formation and tip upside down to dry bottom. May need to puncture bottom area to allow glue to dry more effectively.

Have fun and good luck with your caves, coral and , ahem, other things...
:thumbs2:

DanPerezStudios
07-30-2008, 05:26 AM
I knew Gorilla Glue reacted with water like that and had been meaning to experiment with it just along these lines. Thanks for sharing!

moon_knight1971
07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
That's pretty interesting stuff. How durable is it though Wes? If one were to use it for a "power blast" & attach it to the hand of a bust or statue do you think it would hold up? Also, does it initially harden as clear or does it turn that yeloowish/orange color in the 1st pic you provided?

Wesley Pierce
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
When it begins to harden it actually turns a pale yellowish color. I was trying to enhance the details on the "orange" image so I altered the levels.

As for the strength of the material, it is a fairly hard substance, rubbery in the smaller areas and rock hard in the areas with more depth.

The only real problem I can see with trying to design a power blast for a hand would be that you almost certainly are looking for a specific pattern to develop which, thus far, i have not been able to produce a specific pattern with this material in this form.

It begins to form in the water and, as it begins to harden, spreads around the already formed pockets, or bubbles. However, if you were to look closely, the piece in in sections that would be easily separated with little effort and an x-acto blade. I suppose you could pattern these sections into a shape of your choosing with a bit of work.

I would recommend experiementing a bit to see what works and what doesn't.