PDA

View Full Version : Aves Apoxie Sculpt Vs. FixIt Sculpt

AgentU7
08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
I need to buy some Aves so I can start building my first kit. Can someone tell me which is the better one to use. The Apoxie or the Fixit? They both look like their good to use so besides the price what's the difference. Any advice would be appreciated.

Vince-Vell
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I use the apoxie for piecing kits together, building up muscles, bases the thicker parts of hair etc... This stuff tends to bend and sag alot if building out.

Fix-It i use more for detail work, like thinner parts of hair, fingers, outfit lines etc.. This stuff holds its form much better, with a bit of drying time and letting it stiffen up. You can build out more without much sag.

So i use both for different situations.

Danno
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
AVES Fix-It sculpt is what I would use exclusively (if I could). I find that is smooths down even finer than AVES Apoxie Sculpt, holds it shape better and is easy to tool and work with.

I use both as AVES Apoxie Sculpt is less expensive and works incredibly well, but I do prefer the Fix-It sculpt as a whole.

Moogled
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm going to chime in on this thread as well, since I've been wondering about the type of sculpt to use.

There's so many types of Aves putty that I'm a bit intimidated on which kind to use. Strictly speaking, I just need something to fill out the seam lines after I glue/pin the two resin pieces together.

Does this mean that both Fix-It and Apoxie would suffice for filling out seams and resin bubbles (and post sanding)?

Vince-Vell
08-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm going to chime in on this thread as well, since I've been wondering about the type of sculpt to use.

There's so many types of Aves putty that I'm a bit intimidated on which kind to use. Strictly speaking, I just need something to fill out the seam lines after I glue/pin the two resin pieces together.

Does this mean that both Fix-It and Apoxie would suffice for filling out seams and resin bubbles (and post sanding)?

Just for filling gaps, seems and holes, just get the regular Aves Apoxie Sculpt. If you buy the thinner Aves sells too, you can mix it together to get a tooth paste effect too. Sometimes they have different colors, which are on sale. Wont matter cause its all the same just dyed a color.

AgentU7
08-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks Vince and Danno for the advice. Your help is always welcomed.

AgentU7
08-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Just for filling gaps, seems and holes, just get the regular Aves Apoxie Sculpt. If you buy the thinner Aves sells too, you can mix it together to get a tooth paste effect too.

Would that make it the same consistency as the Fixit? Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the fixit instead?

Vince-Vell
08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Would that make it the same consistency as the Fixit? Wouldn't it be easier just to buy the fixit instead?

No, Fix It and Apoxie are both clay like when mixed, and you are able to sculpt with them. Just that which ever one you buy and mix thinner with can give you that tooth paste type of mixture.

Jesse321
08-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I always wondered what the difference was, I've never used Fix-It yet. :)

AgentU7
08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
No, Fix It and Apoxie are both clay like when mixed, and you are able to sculpt with them. Just that which ever one you buy and mix thinner with can give you that tooth paste type of mixture.

Ok, thanks. I think I understand. For my needs I"ll just buy the cheaper one.

Vince-Vell
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Ok, thanks. I think I understand. For my needs I"ll just buy the cheaper one.

Ya you will be fine with the Apoxie.

But down the line if you decide to start building onto statues or kits. The Fix it will come in handy. :thumbs2:

Moogled
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I visited my local art shop today and they had Super Sculpey in stock.

How does it compare? I would order Aves if need be but if Super Sculpey would suffice for building kits, then I might pick that up instead.

However, it looks like it won't dry like Aves would, though.

Vince-Vell
09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Super Sculpty has to be baked in a oven. So unless you know if the kit or statue can be put in a over at the temp sculpty need to bake, without blowing up, melting or warping. Then its not a safe bet to use it.

Super Sculpty is more of a clay that you sculpt with then bake the finished product. Aves is the choice of kit building.

Moogled
09-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Cool beans, you're the best Vince :D

RickDTM
09-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Definitely w/ Danno and Vince here as far as the use of Fix-it goes. I used to use the Sculpt primarily, but the more I've used the Fix-it the better I like it.

UnicornPegasus
06-29-2019, 04:21 PM
I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I'm looking to try out some products Aves has on sale right now, and I'm wondering what the difference between Aves "Fix-it" and Aves "Fix-it Sculpt" would be? (Fix-It is on sale, Fix-It Sculpt isn't.)

And any opinions on colored Aves Epoxy Sculpt? I've only worked with white and grey/natural, but they have Red, Blue, and Yellow on sale for a really good price. I'm assuming Yellow may be easier to work with just because it's a bit lighter in shade? I'm skipping blue because it's so very dark, I feel like I'd have a hard time with that one. I've seen Vince Vell work with Red and it seems a good mid-range tone too.

That may be rendered moot if I get the "Fix-It" they have on sale though, since it's pure black.

Last question for now, can you combine Epoxy Sculpt and Fix-It, could I do that to make it a grey-ish color from the Black and Yellow combined?

I've only worked with Aves Epoxy sculpt so far, so I'm venturing into uncharted territory for me on this. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

warhead
06-29-2019, 06:59 PM
I had the Apoxie sculpt bronze which is brown and the red, I also use the black and natural fixit sculpt , without a doubt the fixit sculpt is harder and less prone to breakage compared to the Apoxie sculpt, when dried the fixit feels heavier and harder to the feel, the Apoxie sculpt is a little easier and smoother to sculpt, the fixit sculpt holds its shape better than Apoxie sculpt while drying, the fixit compared to the fixit sculpt it’s much easier to sculpt with the fixit sculpt, the fixit is more repair oriented in my opinion to fill holes and add on to already existing shapes.

I have mixed Apoxie sculpt with fixit sculpt with great results, the material is still harder than Apoxie sculpt by itself and easier to sculpt than fixit sculpt by itself. This just my observations with working with the Apoxie products, hope it helps.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/realwarhead/realwarhead002/EB97D163-55F6-486E-BBFF-AB900A391F42_zpshlyx7az6.png

UnicornPegasus
06-29-2019, 09:44 PM
I had the Apoxie sculpt bronze which is brown and the red, I also use the black and natural fixit sculpt , without a doubt the fixit sculpt is harder and less prone to breakage compared to the Apoxie sculpt, when dried the fixit feels heavier and harder to the feel, the Apoxie sculpt is a little easier and smoother to sculpt, the fixit sculpt holds its shape better than Apoxie sculpt while drying, the fixit compared to the fixit sculpt it’s much easier to sculpt with the fixit sculpt, the fixit is more repair oriented in my opinion to fill holes and add on to already existing shapes.

I have mixed Apoxie sculpt with fixit sculpt with great results, the material is still harder than Apoxie sculpt by itself and easier to sculpt than fixit sculpt by itself. This just my observations with working with the Apoxie products, hope it helps.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/realwarhead/realwarhead002/EB97D163-55F6-486E-BBFF-AB900A391F42_zpshlyx7az6.png

Oh, awesome, thank you for the chart (which I could not find!) and the details. The Fix-It does seem to have very similar properties to Apoxie Sculpt, so I think I'll skip it. I know that I like the Apoxie, so I'll get some of that and my original goal of the Safety Solvent too. Thanks a bunch.