PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Babytoxie
09-02-2008, 12:14 PM
At the insistence of my literature-teaching wife, I finally read 100 Years of Solitude and was amazed. I hate to say that I had never heard of him until Love In the Time Of Cholera was made into a movie recently. I like his style, described by many as "magical realism". Has anyone else tried his work?

Babytoxie
09-12-2008, 03:31 PM
You gotta be kiddin' me...:confused2

Teague
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Wrong audience I guess, Toxie. :thumbs2:

I've read Marquez, and I love his stuff. Been a while, though. I've been wanting to read his new one, Memories of My Melancholy *****s, which at least has a great title.

Have you read his Chronicle of a Death Foretold? Not as risky as his other stuff, but still a great read. Better, in some ways.

Keep reading the good stuff! :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Welcome brother! :laugh:

I haven't read it - yet. I'm finishing up Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, then back to Marquez.

And then Howard Chaykin's American Flagg hardcover. Gotta dip into the comics occasionally.

Teague
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Welcome brother! :laugh:

I haven't read it - yet. I'm finishing up Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, then back to Marquez.

And then Howard Chaykin's American Flagg hardcover. Gotta dip into the comics occasionally.

Let me know how you like the Foer book; I still haven't read Everything is Illuminated, even though it's here in my stack of to-read stuff.

Speaking of recs, have you read Infinite Jest? With Wallace's death, that's moved up on my list. I enjoyed his good-if-uneven collection of essays titled Another Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.