PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys Predalien VS Predator Pre-painted Diorama

RINGU GIRL
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Anybody have this Diorama? looks awesome on sideshow site, but wondering how is the actual paint qualitys and scale? :confused:

found this on web....looks good to me.

http://www.xl-shop.com/blog/post/2008/06/Hot-Toys---AVP--R-Predalien-VS-Predator-Pre-painted-Diorama.aspx

Faken
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
To me this is nothing more than a REALLY expensive set of MacFarlane figures.

CharlesSong
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Go for the dio

Praetorian380
09-15-2008, 05:58 PM

couldnt have said it better

gk asylum
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I got one and love it!!
I think it's really good.
Larry

gk asylum
09-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Here's some crappy pics I just snapped.
I like it.
Larry
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/gkasylum/avpdiook.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/gkasylum/avpdio.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/gkasylum/avpdio1.jpg

Predalien08
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Its actually a really nice set that I just picked up a few weeks ago for a really good price. I didn't have high expectations before I received it but it was a pleasent surprise. From top to bottom its around 17' high. The paint apps aren't sloppy and the sculpts are very, very detailed. It fits nicely with the other alien dios. If you can pick one up for $100 - $140 I would say jump on it.

Vracula
09-15-2008, 09:18 PM

agreed!

gaijin
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Nice diorama.

Mcfarlane?!!! You must be implying all 6" dioramas are mcfarlane as well then... or Hasbro for that matter..

Faken
09-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Nice diorama.

Mcfarlane?!!! You must be implying all 6" dioramas are mcfarlane as well then... or Hasbro for that matter..

Yep, both this dio and the Elder on Throne statues are made from the exact same plastic and paint as McFarlane figs, the only difference is these are not articulated. They are even made in the same factories. The price is totally unjustified, shouldn't cost more than $50 tops. The only reason they cost $140 or whatever is because they know people will buy them due to the success of the Masterpiece series.

When I first got the Elder on Throne and realized that it was the exact same thing as a McFarlane fig, I returned it immediately to SSC in complete disgust. I will say the paint on this AVPR one looks WWWWAAAAYYYY better than the Elder on Throne thing, but it's still ridiculously over priced.

gk asylum
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I agree about the Elder on throne..
Complete crap!!
I do like this one though.
Why all the hating for Mcfarlane.
Some of them are good.

RINGU GIRL
09-16-2008, 02:17 AM
hmm, the dio looks pretty sharp, thanks for the pics GK. :thumbs2:

agree on the elder dio, it looks like mcfarlane toys, i just wish the materials is polystone.

Kaijuboy
09-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Ummm, so if something is made from polystone, its somehow "better"?

Since when did the material become an issue as opposed to the actual sculpting, posing, and painting of a figure/collectible?

Unless there is a practical reason for use of one material or another, I say use the cheaper material and keep the prices low...

That being said this piece should be cheaper...

I have pieces of all materials: cloth, plastic, resin, metal, vinyl, even paper! Dont be material prejudice! ;)

Trilogy
09-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Nice photos, gk.
Looks to be an extremely well detailed diorama.

Darth Pain
09-16-2008, 08:27 AM
I like it!
Maybe, if I can pick one up down the road cheap, I'll get one.
I don't mind vinyl or plastic as long as it's built and sculpted well. I collect the occasional McFarlane figure. They have some of the best sculptors in the business. Even if they are made of plastic and have some articulation, they still have more detail than most of the polystone/resin statues available.

Faken
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Ummm, so if something is made from polystone, its somehow "better"?

Since when did the material become an issue as opposed to the actual sculpting, posing, and painting of a figure/collectible?

Unless there is a practical reason for use of one material or another, I say use the cheaper material and keep the prices low...

That being said this piece should be cheaper...

I have pieces of all materials: cloth, plastic, resin, metal, vinyl, even paper! Dont be material prejudice! ;)

That's my point, they are using cheap materials, so why the ridiculous price? And the material makes a HUGE difference! Soft plastic materials are prone to warping very easily and are generally softer in details than polystone. Also the plastics look too shiny once painted. Ask anyone that collects TONS of McFarlane toys and they will tell you some end of falling right over from warping over time. Polystone and resins are infinitely superior for non-articulated statues.

I'm not complaining about the plastic they used though, I'm complaining that they are charging a ridiculous price for it.

LARRY - Not hating on McFarlane, their figs are great for that price... my point is that the HT dioramas are made from the exact same materials as McFarlane figs in the exact same factories and the average two figure McToys dio sells for what? $30 or so?

Darth Pain
09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree Faken!
This dio should be $50 tops or for 150 it should be atleast 1/7th scale.

Predalien08
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I agree that its overpriced. I wouldn't have bought mine if I didn't get it for the price I did. I think $$75-100 is fair price for this dio. This is about an inch bigger than the alien dio. I do disagree that these are Mcfarlane type figures. Mcfarlane never acheived this much detail into there alien dios. If you like the detail & paintwork HT puts into the 16"Predalien & Wolf, then you'll love this.

gaijin
09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Perhaps someone can try doing the same dio with mcfarlane figures to prove it.

Anyway, this whole debate about materials (plastic vs stone etc.) has been going on ever since ..... Boba PF afaik