PDA

View Full Version : Skin Texture Using Oils?

cdiddy408
09-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I tried searching but didn't see anything about using oils for texture so here goes. . . I read that using oil paints as a base gives you a really fine skinlike texture (almost like a grainy leather). I saw someone painted a super smooth kit using oils as a base to form that texture on the face of the kit. Does anyone know about this or have tried it? I have a 1/4 scale kit that's really smooth, but want to add some of that grainy skin texture to the face. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ken

speedracer
12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Never tried it but you can use differrent paint Gels. some are thicker than others so youll have to experiment. but it is very doable. Oil just takes a very looong time to dry at thicker applications. Good luck. =)

Alphaduce
12-16-2008, 01:11 AM
im not much of a paint guy, nor do i know much but research stuff that you mix with oil paint to make it dry faster. i have used liquin and it works pretty well on canvas, never painted on a solid surface before tho.

but yes oils can give you texture.

ps: when mixing the liquin with paint, i get out my palet, pal. knife, and mix a little bit of the liquin with some oderless thinner in a jar, then i dip my brush and let a few drops fall off of my brush onto the blob of paint (just work with a little bit of paint at a time) then i mix with my knife and its not too thin, then u can get texture, and it will half the drying time. it helps if you have air circulation + a warm room. also make some kind of somethin to put over your painting if you ar leaving it for a while. to keep the dust off of it. if nothin else get some duct tape an some cardboard an make a box that just fits over your subject. thats optional, if you are worried about dust or stuff obstructing, messin up your paint job.

like i said i dont know much, just tryin to help a little.

'Nuff
12-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Different types of "primer'' can give different textures...I use spray paint for a primer on occasions...It gives a grainy texture to clothing and fur...For example...a Wolfman...or for bases of a stone or dirt nature...