PDA

View Full Version : New Avengers #4

Avenger
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
I must say I am really starting to like this series. Being a die hard Avengers fan I had my doubts. But I really like what they are doing with the team so far. Time will tell.

wktf
03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm going to be reviewing this one in the wktf/Sam Wilson reviews this week. Bought it but haven't read it yet, though.

But, even without having read this issue, I really like this series and I'm a die-hard Avengers fan as well. Am totally surprised because I hate how Bendis handled "Disassembled."

marvelboi77
03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
OOOOOOhhhhh... The Spider-Woman pages are niceeeeeee...... Oh I need a second job. When she comes down the stairs for the first time in her costume it is awsome. The last page is pretty cool too. I bought 5 copies today. I just finished reading it and it was fabu.... :buttrock:

bat_collector
03-23-2005, 06:06 PM
OOOOOOhhhhh... The Spider-Woman pages are niceeeeeee...... Oh I need a second job. When she comes down the stairs for the first time in her costume it is awsome. The last page is pretty cool too. I bought 5 copies today. I just finished reading it and it was fabu.... :buttrock:
5 copies!!!
obsession to the max

Avenger
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
When I saw that page all I could think about was how much you were going to love this Marelboi :rolleyes2 I REALLY need to get out more :laugh: :laugh:

Bartman256
03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I must say I am really starting to like this series. Being a die hard Avengers fan I had my doubts. But I really like what they are doing with the team so far. Time will tell.

So many people were bashing this before it came out. I think Bendis is a fantastic writer.

His Ultimate Spider-Man made me love a version of Spider-Man that we could all do without.

Once he took over the writing on Daredevil, this quickly became a MUST read every month.

Alias kicked mother#$%@in @ss! I'm enjoying the toned down version now, The Pulse (miss all the cursing).

So when I heard of the New Avengers coming with Bendis at the helm, I was intrigued. The line-up was shakey...Spider-Man? Spider-Woman? Bringing back the Sentry (to me, a Miracleman rip-off).
But Bendis has pulled it off AGAIN! Each issue leaves me wanting more! I picked it up at lunch & read in the van. Great stuff!

Jesse321
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
As long as Spider-Woman is in the book, I will keep buying and reading it, the second she leaves the series, so do I.

Love the page where she first comes down the stairs in costume and all the guys flip out. :D

Bartman256
03-24-2005, 12:22 AM
As long as Spider-Woman is in the book, I will keep buying and reading it, the second she leaves the series, so do I.

Love the page where she first comes down the stairs in costume and all the guys flip out. :D

Waitaminute...

Is this Jesse321 or Marvelboi?!?

Jesse321
03-24-2005, 12:32 AM
:laugh: Marvelboi isn't the only one with a soft spot for Spider-Woman ... though I admit his passion for her far exceeds mine.

But come to think of it, much like The General and CK ... we've never been seen in the same place at the same time .... hmmmmmm :peoples:

furie
03-24-2005, 03:38 AM
I also enjoy this book a lot and like Bendis.

furie
03-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Spider Woman has a killer bod, huh.

spider-man
03-24-2005, 05:16 AM
This book has been great! I still need to pick up #4 this weekend.

Jesse321
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Even though I'm not a Bendis fan, I have to admit that this book has at least peeked my interest.

The General
03-24-2005, 10:09 AM
My local shop is horrible. I didn't see one copy. I've havn't been collecting in years but while looking through the Previews Marvel section I somehow became interested and wanted to pick up the first 4 issues but my lcs didn't even have the latest issue. Help me guys, like I said I haven't collected in years so forgive my next dumb question.

What day do the new comics hit the stands? I would be interested in just collecting this series.

gman
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
i think the art has been posted to the artist's choice...page 5 is the only decnt page IMO but the price is too high for me.

Avenger
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
What day do the new comics hit the stands? I would be interested in just collecting this series.
New comics come out on Wednesday.

bat_collector
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
While I enjoy the series, in no way do I think Bendis is this end all writer many seem to think he is. I hate his dialogue. I just imagine him sitting on his computer writing saying "gosh this is just so darn witty everyone is gonna eat it up." Its very smug, and if you ask me Avengers Dissassembled was just rushed to get to this series.

And his What If's were the worst of the bunch!

Avenger
03-24-2005, 11:05 AM
While I enjoy the series, in no way do I think Bendis is this end all writer many seem to think he is. I hate his dialogue. I just imagine him sitting on his computer writing saying "gosh this is just so darn witty everyone is gonna eat it up." Its very smug, and if you ask me Avengers Dissassembled was just rushed to get to this series.

And his What If's were the worst of the bunch!
I agree. Dissassembled was very rushed. That is why I was having doubts about the New Avengers.

bat_collector
03-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I agree. Dissassembled was very rushed. That is why I was having doubts about the New Avengers.
Funny thing is both you and I have every copy and the variants! :)

wktf
03-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Our review of New Avengers #4 is right here:

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=7886

workingdog
03-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I thought this issue was terrific. I loved Spidey's comments about how there were ten spider-women out there now and how he has "clones."

Where *is* Nick Fury supposed to be by the way? Did I miss something?

Jesse321
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Where *is* Nick Fury supposed to be by the way? Did I miss something?I was wondering that myself, I read very few Marvel books these days.

JR2
03-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Where *is* Nick Fury supposed to be by the way? Did I miss something?

Makes you wonder if whichever one of us had the theory that Nick Fury was the shadowy character Jessica Drew was speaking to at the end of issue 3 is correct.

:peoples:

madjazz
03-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Makes you wonder if whichever one of us had the theory that Nick Fury was the shadowy character Jessica Drew was speaking to at the end of issue 3 is correct.

:peoples:
That would be me! I have since amended my theory to make room for the possibility that it also could have been the Black Panther, but they are the two leading candidates in my book.

Bartman - I don't like the Pulse as well as I liked Alias, although I enjoy both. Alias was on my "Top of the Pile" list and I miss it.

Bats - I agree that Disassembled was rushed. I'd have rather have had Disassembled occur slower and start out the New Avengers as a mini-series that could have been announced 5 issues in as being upgraded to ongoing.

Primal
03-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Holy crap...the buttocks on that cover...Bellisimo! And when she comes down the stairs...OH MY!!! I'll take that to go please...with a side of potatoes. And hey...did anyone notice the slight markings on her bosom for her...ahem...well I digress...Maybe I was looking too closely :D

Bartman256
03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean Madjazz.

Alias was a great book & one of the 1st I read in the pile too! The Pulse is lacking in some way, but it's still good.

Bendis as a writer has taken some lackluster titles & made them interesting again. I also like how he'll pull some B level character out of obscurity & make me care!
A perfect example was the Daredevil storyline involving White Tiger. Here was a character I knew but really didn't care for & had not seen since the 70's! When all was said & done (again, I don't want to go into details in case someone wants to pick up the TPB) I CARED!
Bendis has been VERY good for Marvel.

Tony Coca
03-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean Madjazz.

Alias was a great book & one of the 1st I read in the pile too! The Pulse is lacking in some way, but it's still good.

Bendis as a writer has taken some lackluster titles & made them interesting again. I also like how he'll pull some B level character out of obscurity & make me care!
A perfect example was the Daredevil storyline involving White Tiger. Here was a character I knew but really didn't care for & had not seen since the 70's! When all was said & done (again, I don't want to go into details in case someone wants to pick up the TPB) I CARED!
Bendis has been VERY good for Marvel.
That was a great story.A must read if you ask me.

wktf
03-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Holy crap...the buttocks on that cover...Bellisimo! And when she comes down the stairs...OH MY!!! I'll take that to go please...with a side of potatoes. And hey...did anyone notice the slight markings on her bosom for her...ahem...well I digress...Maybe I was looking too closely :D
Oh, I noticed too.

TN Reptile
03-25-2005, 01:35 AM
I really enjoyed this book and would love to get the original atwork for the last page. Marvelboi, if you ever find it and don't want it please let me know.

TN Reptile
03-25-2005, 01:52 AM
OY! never mind, I found it and $1,000.00 is too rich for my blood.

marvelboi77
03-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah I just sent you a PM with where to get it. I passed on it to get page 5 instead with me getting the cover I could not afford that too. Plus I hate Wolverine.

TN Reptile
03-25-2005, 02:01 AM
Granted he's way over used, but he's been a favorite of mines since I was a kid.
Maybe if it dosen't sell it'll drop in price in a couple of weeks.

MONSTER
03-25-2005, 02:41 AM
$1000 IS NOTHING! You know you want it! :laugh:

marvelboi77
03-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Spencer never drops the prices. This one will not go down, and it probably is already gone.

Avenger
03-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Spencer never drops the prices.
Not true, at Christmas everything was 10%-40% off. I picked up a couple of pages for the price of one that way.

madjazz
03-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Bartman/Tony - Daredevil/White Tiger was pretty cool. I liked the full circle-type imagery of Daredevil playing a Stick role with someone else.

TN Reptile
03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Darn right I want it, but I just bought a house so no artwork for me.

bat_collector
03-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Gotta say the Luke Cage sucks though. Don't like his character at all.

marvelboi77
03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Not true, at Christmas everything was 10%-40% off. I picked up a couple of pages for the price of one that way.
I'm sorry durring certain periods of time they will have a sale. 40% off pages, 20% of Splashes, and 10% off covers. Usually sought after art is not included in this. It used to be for Mark Bagley and Ultimate Spiderman art that had Spiderman in it was not discounted. The last sale was in November and David Finch's Avenger art was not discounted nor would I look for the New Avengers to ever be discounted. Except for the crappy pages that sit for over a year with no costume character in them.

Mad4Busts
03-29-2005, 11:44 PM

You know what is hilarious to me is that I travel all day being a vendor rep and so I keep my comics in my car and read them on lunch breaks and other times when I need to waste some time in the car....anyway I digress...While I was reading Avengers #4 I really thought of Marvelboi when Jessica came down those stairs and I also found myself staring at that page a little too long for a drawing of a woman, man Finch rules! I also took note that I actually laughed out loud at Bendis' dialogue of Spidey interacting with Ironman and the sscene with Luke Cage about webbing up his hands... I love this friggin book! This is Spiderman for ya Bullseye!

madjazz
03-30-2005, 10:19 AM
I know what you mean about the dialogue, Mad4. I almost felt he was channeling Peter David for a moment.

Mad4Busts
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
I know what you mean about the dialogue, Mad4. I almost felt he was channeling Peter David for a moment.

Definitely channeling PAD on this series...hey remember how great PAD's run on Aquaman was? loved that series....

madjazz
03-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Definitely channeling PAD on this series...hey remember how great PAD's run on Aquaman was? loved that series....
Didn't get that one, but loved the dialogue he used to do between Rick Jones and Marlo on his first Hulk run.

Mad4Busts
03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Didn't get that one, but loved the dialogue he used to do between Rick Jones and Marlo on his first Hulk run.

Yeah loved that run too, sold all of them except for the Aids issue and the surprise birthday party for Rick that I had PAD sign at a con for me!

YES LOOK AT THAT POST COUNT.......http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin/evilgrin03.gif