PDA

View Full Version : Age of Apocalypse

marvelboi77
03-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I know most of you will argue that the Dark Phoenix Saga is the best X-Men storyline ever. But for someone who was not old enought to follow it and read it many years later and Jean was already back it does not hold the same impact. It is a great story and is #2 to me. My favorite all time X-men Story is the Age of Apocalypse. I liked it so much that when it was rumored the X-Men were going to stay that way I loved the idea.

That being said the first 4 issues of this 6 issue mini series really sucks.......

Tony Coca
03-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I know most of you will argue that the Dark Phoenix Saga is the best X-Men storyline ever. But for someone who was not old enought to follow it and read it many years later and Jean was already back it does not hold the same impact. It is a great story and is #2 to me. My favorite all time X-men Story is the Age of Apocalypse. I liked it so much that when it was rumored the X-Men were going to stay that way I loved the idea.

That being said the first 4 issues of this 6 issue mini series really sucks.......

So how can you say this is a better story. :confused2

marvelboi77
03-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I like the series 10 years ago. The mini series now for the 10 year anniversary sucks.... I thought I made it clear.

Nightcrawler777
03-24-2005, 09:35 PM

Dont tell me this Marvel Boy..
Im really looking forward to reading this...
I only read Trades so im Behind...

Tony Coca
03-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I like the series 10 years ago. The mini series now for the 10 year anniversary sucks.... I thought I made it clear.
But it wasnt better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.Maybe better then Maximum Clonage,but not better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Rogue
03-24-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm still looking forward to reading the new A.O.A. mini series. I really enjoyed the first A.O.A. series from 10 years ago. The characters were really cool. Hopefully I won't be too disappointed in the new mini series! :)

marvelboi77
03-24-2005, 09:44 PM
It's all opinions, right we all have one. I told you why I think it's better. It had more impact on me, I liked the story better, I thought it was cool. Everyone can still have Dark Phoenix as there #1 but I don't think that it is.

Rogue
03-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Marvelboi, I haven't read any of the new A.O.A. issues yet. I get all my comics at the end of the month. Is it really that bad? I'm not too impressed on the cover art, but I still have my fingers crossed. I'm just glad that atleast there aren't a ton of the comics to buy this time.

Bartman256
03-24-2005, 09:55 PM
But it wasnt better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.Maybe better then Maximum Cloneage,but not better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.

The Spider-Man Maximum Clonage actually got me BACK into comics.

marvelboi77
03-24-2005, 09:56 PM
It's not even the least bit interesting. The last page of issue 4 has peaked my interest a little bit. But the story is not holding up to the story 10 years ago, the art is not that great either. Most of the pannels look dark and crowded and you have to strugle to see what's going on.

marvelboi77
03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Again Spiderman is not my favorite character so I did not care if he was a clone for the last 300 issues. I really liked the story alot.

Tony Coca
03-24-2005, 09:58 PM
you poor,poor man.

Rogue
03-24-2005, 10:04 PM
It's not even the least bit interesting. The last page of issue 4 has peaked my interest a little bit. But the story is not holding up to the story 10 years ago, the art is not that great either. Most of the pannels look dark and crowded and you have to strugle to see what's going on.
Thanks for your opinion. I probably won't like the art either then, but I have to get the comics because Rogue is in it. :)

Primal
03-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Bachalo's art is always crowded. Takes some getting used to but I was a HUGE fan of his 10yrs ago when he did the Generation Next arc of AOA with Scott Lobdell. What a great team! Check out Kitty w/ the Wolvie claws!
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/34924189588.1.gif

bat_collector
03-25-2005, 12:53 PM
I gotta agree with marvelboi. Since I never read dark phoenix saga, AoA had a much more emotional impact since I was there as it was unfolding.

I'm re-reading aoa before I read the mini series.

I miss those cromium covers too!

Nightcrawler777
03-25-2005, 01:11 PM
I miss those cromium covers too![/QUOTE]

I was a total Mark for the Cromium...
That stuff was so cool...

bat_collector
03-25-2005, 01:18 PM
I miss those cromium covers too!

I was a total Mark for the Cromium...
That stuff was so cool...[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed buying those a whole lot more than paying premium prices for these variant covers (which I'm a sucker for too!)

MONSTER
03-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I too enjoyed the original AOA storyline. With that said the new series sucks hard and I quit buying it at issue 3. What a letdown.

JR2
03-25-2005, 02:07 PM
But it wasnt better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.Maybe better then Maximum Clonage,but not better then the Dark Phoenix Saga.

What isn't better than Maximum Clonage?

:puke2:
That's what I think of the whole Clone Saga!

Now, the Dark Phoenix Saga ROCKS! :buttrock:

JR2
03-25-2005, 02:08 PM

You're kidding, right?

:peoples:

Pietro722
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
I really liked AoA too. I need to go back an read my issues. Are they doing a Trade of it? I've beed reading the 10 yr anniversary stuff and have been enjoying it but it is not nearly as good as the original.

I have always had a tough time with Bachalo's art. It is so hard to figure out what is going on. His art in Ultimate War drove me crazy it was so difficult to follow! That being said his characters look great ther is just too much other stuff in the panels.

bat_collector
03-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes, they should be releasing various trades on AoA relatively soon!

SirConor
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I loved the AoA too a great deal. I think you haters are being far too kind on the 10 year anniversary miniseries! This thing is a complete abomination and I think anyone involved in producing it should be executed.

XSE
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
The first run on AOA is one of my all time favorites... this time around is okay... it is nice to see a revisit to the characters, but I think it could have been handled much better.

James UK
03-30-2005, 02:03 PM
I like it. It feels nostalgic seeing them all together again. So much better than the recent X-Crap. Apart from the return of Psylocke of course

Scoobydude
04-12-2005, 08:40 AM
AAAAAAAAAggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished AoA #1. It totally sucks monkey balls........

The first series was so inovative. It was very cool to see diffrent versions of known characters. The original writer/s create a WHOLE world.

This is THEE ONE story I've been waiting for ALL year.

Commence the bashing............Possible spoiler alert,beware.......of the suckage times 10 !!!!!!!

The artwork BLLLOOOOWWWSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Fire the AC that hired the artist.
When there's action ya can't make out what the fudge is going on!!!!!!
And who the frigg the characters are. In the first one you could look in the background and go "....cool,that's so and so" They should have used name tags on everyone in the frame. Hi, i'm mutant________(fill in name)

Why are friggn BEAK, X-23 and XRON in these books. WHY,WHY,WHY are they
ramming these characters down our throats????????? C'mon....BEAK??????

If only there were enough chracters in the Marvel universe, oh wait. THERE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *** read super-sarcastic ***

I'm so tempted to shread every book and send it to Marvel!!!

THIS TOTALLY SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

madjazz
04-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Scooby - I feel your pain. Not only has the story sucked, but the suckage could have easily been condensed into 3 or four issues, not six.

More and more I am getting sold on the idea of not buying anymore mini-series and getting the trade if it is any good.

I can see how this happeded - a bunch of execs sitting in a room saying

"How can we make money off the 10th anniversary of AOA? I know - X-23 is popular. What if we do a 6 issue mini-series as an excuse to showcase X-23 in the AOA? She wasn't there for the original one so it will be fresh and interesting - to our wallets! Boooohhahahahahaaaaaa!"

SirConor
04-12-2005, 12:15 PM
"How can we make money off the 10th anniversary of AOA? I know - X-23 is popular. What if we do a 6 issue mini-series as an excuse to showcase X-23 in the AOA? She wasn't there for the original one so it will be fresh and interesting - to our wallets! Boooohhahahahahaaaaaa!"

Is she really though? I don't really think anyone out there legitimately loves this character - one of the lamest of all time. I think its more Marvel thinking she's cool despite maximal suckage in reality and them forcing her upon us. No, I refuse to accept her.

I stopped reading the new AoA after 1 issue. Couldn't get over how GOD AWFUL the art was or the lack of creativity with such beloved characters.

Scoobydude
04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
So were is Kitty Pryde???

they GAVE her claws in original AoA.

How can one contact Marvel. I'm serious. I'm about 2 heart beats from stop
buying Marvel comics,AND THEY need to know it.......

Thanks in advance.

Meta Jon
04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
So were is Kitty Pryde???

they GAVE her claws in original AoA.

How can one contact Marvel. I'm serious. I'm about 2 heart beats from stop
buying Marvel comics,AND THEY need to know it.......

Thanks in advance.
Hey Scoobydude, don't hold back - tell us how you really feel :laugh:
I stopped buying mini's a LONG time back cause if the stories were that good then they should be put in the reg series. It's just like the annuals in the late 90's - some crap story thrown together in 2 minutes and some artist without fingers trying to draw. Glad they did away with them!
Comics are expensive enough that I can't, and don't care to, afford all the crap they tend to package and try to sell.
But I am tempted to get Kitty Pryde's new mini but am scared of the rating on the "suck-o-meter"

madjazz
04-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Kitty has a new Mini? What's it called and when does it start?

Scoobydude
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
No, no Mad.

In the original AoA they gave adult Kitty "Claws" that attached to her hands
by some contraption. It's in the Marvel Handbook of the AoA.

that's why I can't figure out WHY ON GODS GREEN Earth there's this STUPID
X-23 character.... :banghead:

:banghead:

:banghead:

Meta Jon
04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Kitty has a new Mini? What's it called and when does it start?
It's in the latest previews. It's called Kitty Pryde: Shadow & Flame
Written by Akira Yoshida
art by Paul Smith.

I dunno, she's one of my favs but I don't want to read another story that butchers what has gone before :rolleyes2

Tony Coca
04-12-2005, 10:12 PM
It should have been called Age of ABunchOfCrap.

marvelboi77
04-12-2005, 11:01 PM
It's in the latest previews. It's called Kitty Pryde: Shadow & Flame
Written by Akira Yoshida
art by Paul Smith.

I dunno, she's one of my favs but I don't want to read another story that butchers what has gone before :rolleyes2
Yoshida has done a great job on Age of Apocalypse, I'm sure he will kill on Kitty Pryde. :puke2:

Rogue
04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
So far I like the new A.O.A. mini series. I can't wait until the last issue comes out. :)

I just don't understand why X-23 is in it. Marvel is trying to squeeze her into too many titles.