PDA

View Full Version : Milestone in Medicine - stem cells used to grow windpipe

Endless Wake
11-19-2008, 09:05 AM
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Doctors have given a woman a new windpipe with tissue engineered from her own stem cells in what experts have hailed as a "milestone in medicine."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/11/19/windpipe.transplant/index.html

chromesamurai
11-26-2008, 01:37 AM
See! Stupid religion getting in the government and stopping us from doing stem cell research years ago. Stem Cells = GOOD! Hell, fix me up a batch of that, I'll make Hamburger Helper out of it!

Darth Torment
11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
It really is a shame that this kind of research is being hindered. The potential of this is just staggering.

I hope Obama changes the ruling in SSR in his first term.

Collection King 13
11-26-2008, 02:51 PM
amazing!

Alex655321
11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
amazing!

Ditto !

Underdog07
11-28-2008, 12:30 AM
I think people should not view these "advancements" as miracle cures for anything and really thinking that growing an organ will lead to the cure for X Y or Z is really still years away. And while no one wants to hear it, nothing the US govt is doing is really hindering anything that is realistically possible at this juncture.

1st - US regs really only apply to fetal stem cells, so something like this would not be hindered in anyway.

2nd, any company that seriously thought that stem cells could create a cure to something would simple perform the R&D in another country. The fact that we have not been seeing international breakthroughs means that -- while beneficial -- stem cells are not an instantaneous miracle cure.

chromesamurai
11-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Miracle cure, no. Not like that episode of South Park where Christopher Reeve was cracking open dead fetuses and eating them. It's not some kind of cure-all snake oil, but you can't deny the things stem cell based treatments have done. Honestly, I think what has been done already with it is pretty amazing and it'll only go up from there.

scott
11-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I think people should not view these "advancements" as miracle cures for anything and really thinking that growing an organ will lead to the cure for X Y or Z is really still years away. And while no one wants to hear it, nothing the US govt is doing is really hindering anything that is realistically possible at this juncture.

1st - US regs really only apply to fetal stem cells, so something like this would not be hindered in anyway.

2nd, any company that seriously thought that stem cells could create a cure to something would simple perform the R&D in another country. The fact that we have not been seeing international breakthroughs means that -- while beneficial -- stem cells are not an instantaneous miracle cure.
It's a relief to see someone else know the facts.:thumbs2: