PDA

View Full Version : American Gods by Neil Gaiman

wktf
12-02-2008, 05:36 PM
This book's been around for several years but I just acquired it a few months ago. Gotta say, it's one helluva read.

A mysterious and powerful man named Shadow is released from prison shortly after his wife is killed. He attends her funeral only to receive some shocking news and meet up with a stranger who offers him a job to be his personal assistant on an incredible quest. This book blends the supernatural with mythology into a suspenseful and, at times, hair raising story that really hooks you with the characters and plot. Just tons of fun to read.

When I read the Acknowledgments in the back I half expected to see a nod to Stan Lee, even though it has nothing to do with comic books.

Loved this book. Highly recommended.

Ink
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
neil gaiman = writing god

spenca7
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Somwhat spoiler (not really just don't want to be yelled at)

I love the scene when he works at the funeral home and he describes the scenery of him driving the herse around the town. It gives me a sense of no one else in the town outside but him due to the snow and it is one of the best scenes I have read.

Endless Wake
12-04-2008, 12:51 AM
For some reason the scene with Lucy on the TV stood out to me as really creepy.

wktf
12-04-2008, 07:02 PM
For some reason the scene with Lucy on the TV stood out to me as really creepy.

Really, really creepy.

Morning_Glory
12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
i should try to pick this up! i've never read anything by him that i didn't love. for example- a short story called "troll bridge," anyone else read it?

Teague
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I liked this book too. Been a while since I read it, but I remember enjoying it. I do remember thinking that I would have loved more divine interplay--a few more Gods, that is--but all in all, a fun bit.