PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Knight Daredevil?

furie
03-31-2005, 12:34 AM
I just started reading this book again, and I have to say; Bendis is the man.
I really enjoy his writing.

As far as this book goes, is this a different run than the DareDevil book from the 70's and 80's?

wktf
03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Yes, it is. Marvel canceled the prior DD book and rebooted the character under the "Marvel Knights" sub-brand. The book from the 70s and 80s is a continuation of the Daredevil run begun by Stan Lee and Bill Everett back in the early 60s. This reboot is the same character with the same history and supporting cast. So, in that respect, it's just a continuation of this series. But restarting the title under the Marvel Knights sub-brand was supposed to give it a grittier more street smart sense. The truth is that Frank Miller had already given it this sensibility but, after he left, the title drifted a while until Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada started it up again. It was never that good, IMHO, until Bendis and Maleev picked it up.

This is one of my favorite titles currently running. Furie, you should pick up all the oversized DD hardcovers, which captures all the MK DD runs up nearly up to the current run.

furie
03-31-2005, 12:58 AM
I will do that. U have some serious comic knowledge my friend. Thanks again!

Sam Wilson
03-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Word. If you don't have them, get the Frank Miller marvel Visionaries daredevil tpbs, there are three of them. And don't forget the Miller/Mazuchelli Born again TPB, possibliy the most important and emotional Daredevil story every told (this all reprints DD from the early and mid 1980's). wktf would agree (we've both discussed the greatness of the "Born Again" story).

Leon
03-31-2005, 08:32 AM
It was never that good, IMHO, until Bendis and Maleev picked it up.
This is one of my favorite titles currently running.
I've nothing more to ad.

madjazz
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
Sam Wilson nailed it. The current DD is one of the best titles on the market, and the old Miller, Miller/Mazuchelli runs were also awesome.

Has any of the Miller DD run been considered for Masterworks treatment?

wktf
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Yep. Furie, per the other comments above, you simply MUST pick up the three DD Visionary Frank Miller books, and also DD Born Again. As Sam said, it is the sinlge most significant and outstanding Daredevil story line ever told. Following these four books, your next DD purchases should be the three oversized HCs of Marvel Knights, though the first one (Smith and Quesada) is much weaker than the second and third (Bendis and Maleev).