View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 12/24/08

wktf
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Unknown Soldier #3
DC/Vertigo
Written by: Joshua Dysart
Drawn by: Alberto Ponticelli

For the most part the character of the Unknown Soldier has been a mystery to me. Never read the Joe Kubert drawn series back in the day, I never really read anything about the character until the mid-1990’s when I picked up the Garth Ennis limited series Vertigo put out during Ennis’s “Preacher” heyday. I loved that series, absolutely brutal and Ennis’s style lent itself very well to the immoral soldier. When I heard about the new series, again being put out by Vertigo, I was interested. Would it be like the Ennis series? What would the take be? Brutal? Political? Comic book standard (fat chance with that, but you never know)? One thing I will say, this new take on the character is not for everyone. Most fanboys like their action, big titties and mindless entertainment that must remain in-continuity and not force you to think of any other adjective other than “awesome” or “sweet”. If you think “Civil House of Secret Invasion” or “Infinite Final Crisis on Several Earth’s” is where it’s at and you’ve never read a Vertigo Book before the new “Unknown Soldier” isn’t for you. If you were a big fan of books like “Preacher”, “Y the Last Man” and “The Losers” then “Unknown Soldier” won’t disappoint. Anyway, on to the specifics…

In the first issue we are introduced to our protagonist, Dr. Lwanga Moses. The Dr. Moses was born in Uganda to parents who relocated to the United States when he was seven years old. This happened in 1978; Idi Amin was just ousted from power and the country plunged into civil war and Uganda soon became one of the poorest nations in the world. Meanwhile, Lwanga Moses goes to Harvard medical school and returns to Uganda as an adult. It’s now Uganda 2002, with his wife Sera in tow Dr. Moses opens up a clinic in a refugee zone (Uganda has one of the highest populations of displaced people in the world) and soon finds himself in the !%&!%&!%&!%&. Rampant disease, children with war injuries, Dr. Moses is in a living nightmare. A pacifist, Moses believes the only way Uganda will ever solve its problems is if Ugandans work to solve them, not the UN, not celebrities, not the US, Ugandans. The good Doctor is taking the first step by jumping neck deep in the !%&!%&!%&!%& and trying to do him some good, but the stress may be getting to him. He finds himself having nightmares, about killing his wife in a most heinous manner. Soon enough he finds himself staring such violence in the face. A kid shows up at his clinic with a head wound saying armed rebels attacked him and took his sister. Without thinking Dr. Moses rushes out to the jungle and finds the child, but finds himself surrounded by armed children. Almost-teens who can’t read but know how to work an AK-47. A voice commands the Dr. to take out the children, killing all of them. It’s almost more than the Dr. can take, and the voice keeps talking to him, telling him he now has the combat skills to punish those who profit from human misery, the untouchables who make the world a horrible place. Dr. Moses snaps and cuts up his own face with a jagged rock he finds on the ground and collapses in a heap with the bodies of the children he just killed. Not the man he thought he was when he woke up in the morning, the good Dr’s transformation continues in the second issue.

Dr. Moses wakes up to find himself naked and in a missionary house. Some young refugees came upon his person and rolled him for all of his money and possessions and left him for dead. The scary voice telling him how to kill people has gone away, but Moses finds himself lying about who he is and in a state of shock. Meanwhile, the CIA have taken an interest in finding the missing Dr. and have enlisted a senior agent by the name of Jack Lee Howl. More Gary Busey than Jack Ryan, Howl finds himself reluctantly on board not so much because he is ordered to but because he is blackmailed into compliance. Meanwhile Dr. Moses and his newfound saviors soon find themselves under attack by more teenaged rebels. Moses looks for answers from god but all he gets is the voice, talking him through combat instilling him with a killing lust he has never had before in his life, which brings us to issue three. In the wake of the attack, Dr. Moses finds himself captured by the teenaged rebels and forced to meet their leader, who thinks Dr. Moses is a priest (the nuns dressed him like one) and seeks his approval to bless his war. More harsh Ugandan realities come to light that are flat out horrible, disgusting and highly disturbing but unfortunately reality in some places in the world and Dr. Moses is forced to deal with these realities most unlike a Dr, substituting a stethoscope for some land mines, and the brutality continues…

Needless to say I’m a big fan of this book. Only three issues in there are still a lot of questions to be asked, but I want to ask them and I want to know how this is going to play out. A lot of people will be turned off by the politics; this book is not a straight actioneer by any means and that’s a good thing. If you aren’t ready for that then pick up the latest issue of Batman RIP. If “DMZ” and “Scalped” are more your thing than this book is a welcome addition to your pull list. My pick of the week, hands down.

Ultimatum #2 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jeph Loeb
Drawn by: Dave Finch

10 or so years ago when “Ultimate Spider-Man” first burst on the scene people raised an eyebrow. They did more than that actually, many feared a reinvention and didn’t want to see or hear anything about a possible new Marvel Universe. Tears were shed, LCS buys were !%&!%&!%&!%&!%&ed at and the powers that be at Marvel were cursed upon, heavily. Until of course the unexpected happened, the “Ultimate Spider-Man” was the best thing that had happened to Peter Parker in years. The books that followed were equally strong, “Ultimate X-men”, “Ultimate Fantastic Four”, “The Ultimates”, all were indeed fairly awesome and had the creative juice to back them up. Warren Ellis, Bendis, Mark Millar, Bryan Hitch, Adam Kubert, each of those books had strong creative teams and for awhile provided a fresh and unhindered look at our favorite characters, free of years of baggage that was honestly weighing them down. Yeah, Nick Fury was black and Dr. Doom had hooves, but whatever. Things were good and got better. Dave Finch and Greg Land did stints on Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate FF, Bendis and Bagley stayed on Spider-Man for over 100 issues, even the Ultimate Annuals were pretty good. Of course nothing good lasts forever. Shorty after Land left FF the book took a severe turn for the lame. Loeb and Madureira on the Ultimates wasn’t nearly it was cracked up to be. “Ultimate Power” started strong, but I would have rather seen “Ultimate Power” finish in its own continuity than the attempted crossover, which resulted in the loss of one of the coolest characters in the Ultimate U. There was the fairly awesome Ultimate Extinction trilogy, and Ultimate Origins was pretty good but those were the only two positive surrounded by a few years of meh. As far as “Ultimatum”, we are promised a whole new “thing” (whatever that may be) for the Ultimate U, and with Dave Finch and Jeph Loeb on the case things are defiantly looking up (yes, Finch is one of my favorites, no secret there). So how is it?

Honestly, its pretty damn good. First off, it’s beautiful. I know personally that Dave Finch put a lot of time into this book and it looks fantastic. Yes, art alone doesn’t make a comic book but with Ultimatum it comes damn close. Most of the major players are featured in this issue and they never looked better (his Ben Grimm is awesome and his Valkyrie is just hot). As far as the story goes its most just set up, but it was pretty damn cool. The red dot thing shows up from “Ultimate Origins” and then several simultaneous catastrophic world events happen, Reed Richards flips out big time and a major Ultimate U baddie seems to be behind it all (if you’ve seen any of the preview covers you know who) and just so happens to be in possession of Thor’s hammer. In issue two things get way, way worse. Two members of the Ultimate U meet what seems like awful, disturbing deaths (well, one for sure) and Thor goes to hell to save his girl (seriously) and finds Captain America there? For real…

This is the kind of book you want to rebuy in oversized hardcover format. Finch is sharper than he’s ever been and I’ll forgive Loeb for Red Hulk if he keeps things at this pace. Buying this book without being down with the Ultimate U would be a source of confusion for most, events in this book pick up where a lot of recent events in the Ultimate U left off, but whatever. “Ultimatum” lives up to the event hype around it. Word.

Wonder Woman #27
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Aaron Lopresti

Ever since our girl Diana Prince Snapped Max Lord’s neck on national TV Wonder Woman has been at the forefront of the DCU, and righteously so. Let’s ignore “Amazon’s Attack” for a minute and remember how kick ass our girl is. George Perez took her to the next level in the ‘80’s and then she disappeared, living through a horrible “bad girl” reinvention in the ‘90’s that I’d like to forget as much as the recent aforementioned “Amazon’s Attack” garbage. Before “AA” Greg Rucka came on board briefly as the main writer on her regular series and Wonder Woman was back to where she should be, the top chick in the DCU if not all of comicdom. Then there were some missteps with the chronically late Dodson/Heinberg restart and a few issues with author Jodi Picoult, beloved by soccer and PTA moms everywhere but clearly had no idea how to reach comic readers. Then someone had the brilliant idea to put Gail Simone in charge, her work on “Birds of Prey” winning her legions of fans and was the most definitive work done on those characters in DCU’s history (I’d argue anyway). So how is it going thus far? Pretty damn good I would say…

Last issue was the start of a new storyline, “Rise of the Olympian”. Things started with Zues and the rest of the gods returning to Olympus to find it destroyed by Darkseid. Meanwhile, there is a metahuman incident at a shopping mall and Diana Prince, agent of the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs) is called to deal with it. She and her team (which includes Etta Candy and Tom Tresser aka Nemisis) rush off to see what is going on. Tresser is detained by Sarge Steel for some unknown reason, which we soon find out is sinister. Anyway, more a massacre than an “incident” Diana and her team soon are confronted by a metahuman who decided to start killing people seemingly at random and hole herself up in a mall. Diana makes the switch to Wonder Woman, engages and promptly gets her ass whupped. In issue 27, the aforementioned subtly named metahuman “Genocide” continues her rampage and takes it to the DMA where she disposes of Sarge Steel (who goes completely psycho) and the rest of his agents. Before that Genocide pays a little side visit to the new crime Dr. to make use of something she took from Diana after whupping her ass (what?) and Donna Troy and Wonder Girl face up to something they don’t want to. All this and the Justice League show up (to also get their asses whupped), yeesh…

I love Gail Simone, and I love her on this book. Its great to actually see a writer write a character, and she writes Wonder Woman very well. Aaron Lopresti is back on the art and he’s never looked better. Clearly the best Wonder Woman we’ve had since Greg Rucka ended his run, this book is highly recommended.

Wktf’s Reviews

First of all, I’m writing these while in the office so they’re going to be shorter than usual. Maybe that’s a good thing. Secondly, this smattering of comics happens to be all-Marvel. I’d apologize to those who look for more of the cross-company reviews I try to do but…whatever.

Thor #12
Marvel Comics
Written by: J. Michael Straczynski
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel
Cover by: Olivier Coipel

My goodness, this is possibly the single most impressive comic book any company has produced this year. The art is just absolutely stunning and the story has been a slow, smoldering burn coupled with some intense action and, as just mentioned, majestic visuals. “Thor” is squarely at the top of my monthly reading pile and this issue is just one more reason why. And the Thunder God, himself, doesn’t even make it past the cover into the issue!

Loki’s plot, more or less and possibly without some of the details we’ll learn about later, finally gets drawn from below to above the surface, and this issue is all about the machinations and workings of the God of Evil. Thus far, though we readers have known better, Loki has claimed to have had only the best of intentions at heart, and we’ve all been hard pressed to find outright falsehood in anything she’s said. But let there be no doubt now that Loki is out for blood. Thor’s blood. And for power. In this issue Loki teams up with Hela who, by the way, has rarely looked more insidiously evil than she does here, to not only regain his true form but to bend the rules of time and space to move pieces into place and insure his (yes, it's confusing but for this moment it's "his") victory. The evil simply is dripping off of every page in this comic.

Telling more would be to spoil this read. This issue is a bit of a lull before the inevitable storm of the next issue, Thor #600. But it’s an absolutely integral piece of the story that’s intensely gripping. JMS and Coipel have found their home with Thor and the reader is the big winner of their efforts. My pick of the week.

New Avengers #48
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Billy Tan
Cover by: Billy Tan

Forty-seven issues ago, Captain America formed The New Avengers to do a job that needed to be done. It turns out, the prison break that spawned the team was integral to The Skrull’s Secret Invasion. Now, the Invasion is over but the work must go on. In the wreckage of the Secret Invasion battle field, as Iron Man is reaching toward an angry Thor who’s turned his back on the Golden Avenger, the new Cap has words with Hawkeye (okay, Ronin, really) who, in turn, passes the word along and soon a gathering of heroes has assembled in Bucky Barnes’ home. Indeed, the underground Avengers are back in, I think, their third incarnation. And Billy Tan’s full page spread of the new team makes for a pretty impressive and dramatic roster. However, before they can locate a target deserving their attention, an emergency comes directly to them.

Luke, Jessica Jones and Ms. Marvel join our group, desperate for help to find Luke & Jessica’s baby. And they are in take-no-prisoners mode. Enlisting the aid of the Fantastic Four (Hey, you want to see Sue take command of the FF? Pick up this book!) the combined teams of heroes start knocking down doors and busting heads in search of the Skrull operative who posed as Jarvis and is in possession of the Cage’s child. The desperation is palpable in this story, especially from Luke Cage. And the degrees to which Luke is willing to go to get his baby back, revealed on the last page, simply cannot lead to anything good for anyone.

It’s great to have the underground New Avengers back and moving on the cases that normally would be under the radar of The Mighty Avengers. I have to say, I’ve never been a fan of Tan’s art. His line work is too thin for me and there’s not enough variation in his work. But this issue’s a great start and I’ll definitely be back for the next issue. Luke and Jessica’s plight alone is enough to keep me coming back, at the moment anyway.

Daredevil #114
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

This issue marks Part 4 of the Lady Bullseye arc and things simply could not get any worse for Matt Murdock. Since the 1970s and 80s Frank Miller work, DD has seemed to be Marvel’s poster child for personal, self fulfilling problems. As bad as things have been, and they don’t get much worse than Miller’s “Born Again” story, they seriously have been turned up a notch now. Lady Bullseye and The Hand are systematically destroying Matt’s life. And with Matt, married to a woman whose sanity was compromised by Daredevil’s life, having slept with Dakota North, the detective in his employ, he seems to be doing everything he can to help them destroy his own life.

As Matt’s wife is forcefully removed from his watch, legal actions are being pressed against him both by Milla’s parents and Lady Bullseye who's working angles even Matt can see, despite his enhanced senses. Matt’s emotions and temper are frayed beyond belief. Add to that, Dakota’s being dragged into this in ways neither she nor Matt could have predicted plus mad crazy Hand ninja’s swarming all over New York and attacking Matt’s allies, and you have an action packed package of desperation and fear, ultimately climaxing in a closing page that seriously puts Matt in the path of a confrontation he almost can’t even attempt to win. Buy this book. Seriously, it’s just that good.

Captain America Theatre of War: America First
Marvel Comics
Written by: Howard Chaykin
Drawn by: Howard Chaykin
Cover by: Howard Chaykin

This is second installment of a series exploring Captain America’s history, seemingly through the decades. The first was a 1940s story during World War II that didn’t really appeal to me. A weak story and dark, murky art made the whole thing kind of forgettable. Now, however, we’ve got Howard Chaykin and the writing and art chores explores Captain America of the 1950s battling The Soviet Union! “What?” you may say. Cap dropped of the face of the Earth during the war, to be revived in the 1960s. Right you are, but readers even of Ed Brubaker’s recent work know that another was so hell bent to emulate Steve Rogers that he had his identity surgically altered to look like Rogers and even infused with the Secret Soldier Serum to give him Cap’s abilities. This story is about this Cap of the 1950s.

There’s a Soviet plot in place to disrupt America and spread the Communist vision to the West, and this Cap will have none of this. A new CIA Agent, a gent named Nick Fury (minus the eye patch) knows the real Cap is dead (or so he thinks) doesn’t trust this star spangled imposter at all. That said, they both find that they have to work together against a common threat that’s worked its way into the very fabric of our government.

Chaykin loves telling stories of intrigue and action, and he’s doing no less here. Unlike the first installment in this series, this particular issue is a lot of fun, solidly written and illustrated (not crazy about the way he draws the big “A” on Cap’s mask, but that’s a minor point) with a story that takes us a little off balance with a different Captain America but, none the less, delivers the goods for a single issue adventure comic. We know that both villainy and tragedy are coming for this Captain America but, for this moment during his time, we can feel good for him as he battles against the forces of freedom as he believes Steve Rogers would have done, and even wins some of the respect the original Cap had. Even from Fury.

wktf
12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Wktf’s Trade Reviews

Chaykin’s work on Jack Kirby’s most famous character brought me back to his work on one of Kirby’s less famous but nearly as classic set of characters, The Challengers of the Unknown! And that Chaykin work brought me back not only to Kirby’s Challengers work but also what the famous duo of Loeb and Sale did with this property. So, here are no less than three trade reviews for your holiday reading!

Challengers of the Unknown: Stolen Moments, Borrowed Time
DC Comics

The very first trade review I ever wrote was for the DC Archive Editions of Jack Kirby’s Challengers of the Unknown, vol. 1 & 2. Four years before Jack and Stan birthed The Fantastic Four and changed comic books forever, Kirby created a foursome in mono-colored body suits (purple) who barely survived a plane crash, after which they considered themselves to be “living on borrowed time.” The non-super powered Ace Morgan, Rocky Davis, Red Ryan and Prof. Haley dedicated themselves to a life of “fantastic” adventure all for the expressed purpose of defending the planet against menaces no one else would tackle. And some of those menaces would give you pause even if you were a gamma irradiated green monster or a hammer wielding thunder god. Since Kirby’s Challengers saw life other comic book creators have taken their shots at them. The very first of Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale’s famous collaborations was on the Challengers, and I reviewed that one as well. The Challengers also were an integral part of Darwyn Cooke’s award winning The New Frontier. In 2004 Howard Chaykin produced a six-part mini-series with all new characters that moved The Challengers in an entirely new direction, but builds perfectly from Kirby’s first stories (though we don’t realize this until the series’ fifth installment), and rewrites world history all at the same time. DC was kind enough to recently collect his work into one helluva powerful, fast moving and entertaining trade. And, now that I’ve given it my endorsement, I’ll try to bring you up to speed. But I’ve got to warn you, this story has as many moving parts as a Swiss watch and is confusing as hell until it, finally, does come together. So, if all this gets confusing then I apologize right now.

First of all, the world we live in is not at all the one we believe it to be, at least beginning with the early 20th century, near as I can tell. Many of the major players and events that shaped global history, such as Lenin’s revolution, the stock market crash of 1929 and subsequent Great Depression, Hitler’s rise to power, Stalin’s rule over the USSR, JFK’s assassination, and racial segregation in the U.S. have all been orchestrated by a world force known as Hegemony. And Hegemony is ruled over by the seemingly immortal Mae Nash Price, a blond ice queen who surrounds herself with beautiful fairies, the kind with wings and antennae, that is, and her motivation is right wing world order and ethnic and cultural purity. Borrowing and warping a technique from The Dark Knight Returns, Hegemony manipulates world opinion through right wing news anchors on a network called “Knownownet” that seed public opinion with Miss Price’s propaganda. And the organization has individuals blissfully unaware that they’re living lives that aren’t their own. In reality they are expertly trained killers who are conditioned to obey, who snap-to at a moment’s command to do the organization’s bidding courtesy of a mind-control chip planted in their heads. However, when any of those agents breaks free, as has been known to happen from time-to-time, it’s a full court press for Hegemony to reign them back in. In this case, no less than five extraordinary people with nothing in common share a bond in surviving a terrorist attack on Long Beach, CA, and they all not only discover blood running down their foreheads from an exploded implanted micro-chip but also are surprised to find they have augmented strength, speed, and ruthless killing abilities. They are Zach Dailey, Tessa Clarke, Rydell Smith, Kendra Houlihan and Holden Crane. And they also discover that they need all the skills they have and to partner with each other to insure their best shot at survival.

This book is classic Chaykin, which is to say it’s packed with wild action, kung fu style fighting, Michael Mann style gun battles, and is wrapped in a James Bond style tale of intrigue, espionage and all powerful world-threatening villains. Also, it’s beautifully drawn and written. Chaykin pours all the creativity he put into American Flagg, Blackhawk and The Shadow to give us one amazing roller coaster of a ride. The action and gun battles are ferocious and incredibly loud, even for a medium with no sound. The various moving parts all come together into what may be the biggest conspiracy theory story ever created. Not all five of our heroes make it to the end but, by the end, we see the connection to Jack Kirby’s classic characters as this group, too, realize they are “living on borrowed time” and vow to carry on the Challengers’ proud name. What else can I say? If mind-blowing action, outstanding character development, a world-spanning threat and one of the most fun, fast and furious stories I’ve ever read just isn’t your thing then you absolutely must not pick up this trade.

Challengers of the Unknown, DC Archives vol. 1 & 2
DC Comics
Written By: Jack Kirby
Drawn By: Jack Kirby

As the story goes (or as Stan Lee tells it) the Fantastic Four were created because his boss played golf with his DC counterpart, was told how well JLA was selling, and came back and told Stan to write a book about a superhero team. Challengers of the Unknown, which premiered in 1958 (a few years before the FF), is a Jack Kirby creation about four adventurers who go up in a craft, have an accident, crash to Earth, conclude they’re all “living on borrowed time” and decide to band together to become a force for good. These characters are Prof (the more intellectual leader), Red (a scrappy hot head), the blond Ace, and a brawler named “Rocky.” They also wear mono-color jump suits with gloves and boots. Hmmm….you tell me what inspired the FF.

These stories are a hoot. The Challengers face strange monsters, mythical and mystical creatures, evil scientists, and aliens from distant planets. These adversaries would be enough to give a Man of Steel or Asgardian Thunder God pause, but these guys with no superpowers at all not only charge right into battle, the public seems to have accepted them as Earth’s champions and seek them out to combat these strange and powerful menaces. I’m a big Kirby fan, no doubt, but have never been as impressed with the King’s writing. Not so in this case. These are well scripted and plotted stories that I devoured eagerly. And a real treat is that Wally Wood inked several stories in the second volume. I always considered Joe Sinnott the perfect Kirby inker, but he now takes a back seat to Wood. The art is stunning, and much better than Kirby’s early Marvel stuff that came years later. Highly recommended!

The Challengers of the Unknown Must Die!
DC Comics
Written By: Jeff Loeb
Drawn By: Tim Sale

The Challengers are on the periphery of the DCU and never really interacted with DC’s mainstay heroes. Darwin Cooke included them in his “New Fronier” series. But this very first Loeb/Sale collaboration puts them squarely in the DCU. There are really great appearances by Superman, Batman, Dr. Fate, and Green Lantern (ah, but which one?).

The Challengers are middle aged now and are considered something of a joke by the world at large. They are heavily merchandised for their sentimental value and now live in a mountain in a town called “Challengerville.” Disaster strikes in a major way, though. They are blamed for an explosion that sends the mountain crashing down on the helpless town, killing hundreds as well as two of their own. A trial ensues and they are forced to disband. Each goes his separate way and undergoes startling transformations. Red shaves his head bald and becomes something of a Rambo like solder. Rocky becomes and alcoholic and is institutionalized. Ace dives into the occult and becomes a “master of the mystic arts.” Yes, there is a great riff on Marvel Comics throughout this series that is wonderful to discover as you read it. From Spider-Man, to Dr. Strange, to Captain America (there’s a fight scene that is a tribute to the one-page multi-panel drubbing Cap gives Batroc in Tales of Suspense # 86).

They all, though, must come together (even those who were killed come back) at the end to battle a silly demonic menace. This final crisis and battle is a bit frivolous and adds nothing to the trade, though I suppose it helps bring it to a close. This book’s real value is in the strong characterization of these wonderful characters, the respectful way they are treated as they are forced apart and, then, come back together, and the real fun Loeb and Sale seem to have in this first of their now long list of collaborations. Recommended!

marvelboi77
12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I only picked up New Avengers #48. I really liked the story, and the art work. I'm glad the original Spider-Woman is back.:buttrock:

moon_knight1971
12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I normally don't like Tan's work much either but he does a really good Spider-Woman. Lady Bullseye is the 1st Bru DD arc I have purchased and it's been just as good as Cap so far. Curious to learn more about Master Izo.

Primal
12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
THOR ROCKED!!! I knew there was a reason this was my R.O.A.R. of the week. :D

JMS is awesome on this book as well as Coipel. JMS has surpassed his mediocre work on Spider-man by leaps and bounds as far as I'm concerned.

And as an added incentive to those who havent picked it up yet, I will say that we get new insight into Loki's origin. Very cool and sadistic stuff.

I CANNOT wait til Thor 600. :buttrock:

wktf
12-26-2008, 08:07 PM
THOR ROCKED!!! I knew there was a reason this was my R.O.A.R. of the week. :D

JMS is awesome on this book as well as Coipel. JMS has surpassed his mediocre work on Spider-man by leaps and bounds as far as I'm concerned.

And as an added incentive to those who havent picked it up yet, I will say that we get new insight into Loki's origin. Very cool and sadistic stuff.

I CANNOT wait til Thor 600. :buttrock:

And, actually, this new insight was hinted at in an earlier Thor story near the beginning of JMS' Thor run, when Thor went into the Odinsleep and met up with Odin in the afterlife. Awesome, awesome story.

By Primal simply could not be more right about his assessment of Thor and JMS. This is an absolutely killer issue from a killer series! :buttrock:

wktf
12-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Captain America Theatre of War: America First
Marvel Comics
Cover by: Howard Chaykin

...There’s a Soviet plot in place to disrupt America and spread the Communist vision to the West, and this Cap will have none of this. A new CIA Agent, a gent named Nick Fury (minus the eye patch) knows the real Cap is dead (or so he thinks) doesn’t trust this star spangled impostor at all...

Okay, after reading the most excellent Marvel Chronicles book, I came across a reference to 1966's Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #27 where Fury lost his eye in WWII, essentially the origin of Fury's eye patch.

So, this being the case, showing Fury in the 1950s Cold War era without his eye patch is an obvious gaffe on Chaykin's part. That said, I'd like to issue a Joe Prize challenge to anyone who can explain this in the most credible way (no LMDs at the time, and the Skrulls hadn't yet been introduced though, who knows, they might have been scoping out Earth back then...).

Who's up for the challenge? :)

rilynil
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
I really enjoyed New Avengers 48. Good stuff!

bat_collector
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Ok, you guys are making me want to catch up on Daredevil, Cap, and thor!

wktf
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, you guys are making me want to catch up on Daredevil, Cap, and thor!

You seriously should catch up on all of these. Among the best books produced by any comics company. Thor should be series of the year, as far as I'm concerned.

Makkari1
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I am totally impressed with Thor right now and I look forward to the next issue. Loki is just pure evil and I defy anyone to find a more wicked character short of Thanos.

What puzzles me is how easy Bor was turned to snow while he was the Skyfather of Asgard. One thing that is not explored is the that Odin is the youngest of 3 bothers who were equally as powerful as he is and they are not even mentioned. In a earlier issue of Thor the bothers ruled together but Odin became the Skyfather after the other brothers died fighting Surtur. Right now I'm curoius how all of these will play out.

JLM
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I continued to enjoy Daredevil, with Matt's increasing sense of desperation.

Gotta agree, can't see the final page of New Avengers being good news for anyone.