PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 1/3/09

wktf
01-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Wktf’s Reviews

The Mighty Reviewers planned to take this week off from reviews but today I found myself with two flat front tires and in NTB with about an hour and a half to kill. What to do? Some quick reviews after all. Unfortunately, despite high expectations for a few of this week’s comics, none of the books I picked up was all that terrific. In fact, the highlight of my comics week was The Lone Ranger HC Volume 2, especially with that stunning John Cassaday image of The Lone Ranger atop a rearing Silver!

Justice Society of America #22
DC Comics
Story by: Geoff Johns & Alex Ross
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Dale Eaglesham
Painted pages: Alex Ross
Cover by: Alex Ross
Variant cover: Dale Eaglesham
Very special thanks to: Mark Waid

Thus endeth the Kingdom Come Superman story line and the most marketable part of Johns’ run on JSA. Unfortunately this issue seemed incredibly forced and rushed, like Dan Jurgens’ last issue on Thor back before Avengers Disassembled where you could just tell the Marvel editorial board threw up their hands and yelled, “Enough, already!” I don’t think that’s what’s happened here with Johns at DC but, that said, this issue sure feels that way.

The Kingdom Come Superman’s been under the misconception that he was yanked from his world at the very moment of its destruction, the moment of Captain Marvel’s heroic death under a nuclear warhead. However, it’s come to his attention that, while that bomb did go off, there may yet still be an Earth 22 that needs its Superman. But first this Superman must fight alongside the JSA to stop Gog, a being of incredible God-like powers capable of curing ills, reversing famine and raising the dead, from destroying this Earth. And this is where, after all these issues of build up, this ending just feels incredibly abrupt, with Gog’s being so easily (and, I’ll admit, shockingly given Superman and Starman’s tactics) dispatched and this Superman’s final but obvious, considering the moment of his departure from the Kingdom Come story, fate.

A big highlight of this book is Ross’ painted pages, taking us back to the finale of Kingdom Come and a look in to Superman’s both immediate and far distant future, all of which truly are beautiful and even uplifting considering this character’s traumatic life and history. They also help explain is how Superman was able to survive and explosion powerful enough to kill Captain Marvel. Despite Ross’ interiors, coupled with Johns’ and Eaglesham’s really impressive work though this whole storyline, the abruptness of this issue’s final installment was a major disappointment in a series that was so thoughtfully, carefully and meticulously crafted (seriously, check out all the credits above) to this point.

Captain America #45
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Luke Ross & Butch Guice
Cover by: Steve Epting

So, how do you follow up the absolutely incredible nearly 20 issue Death of Captain America story? Just about anything’s bound to be a bit anti-climactic and while this story arc, unfortunately, falls into this category it’s really been picking up steam with every issue. This one, in fact, has been the most exciting of this three issue arc thus far. Probably because this particular issue really forces the new Captain America to confront his dual histories as the Soviet’s cold war Winter Soldier when he was tapped to murder the Chinese scientist he’d rescued as Bucky along with Cap during WWII. That and, despite Ross and Guice’s rather blocky and stiff art, the action’s been dialed up considerably in this installment.

China’s attempt to create their own super soldier had gone disastrously wrong and ended up creating The Man With No Face, a wraith-like creature who could phase in and out of reality, much like Daredevil’s Death Stalker, cloaked in shadows, a swirling dark cape and fedora. He looks truly vampiric in the flash back sequences of his battle with Winter Soldier and is no less impressive today, when he’s teamed up with Batroc the Leaper to steal a mysterious package for Professor Chin, the same man Bucky saved as a child in the 40s and Winter Soldier tried to kill in the 1960s. Batroc gave the new Cap enough trouble earlier in this arc and now that they’ve teamed up against him, James Buchanan Barnes has hands full indeed.

This is more or less an all out action issue with plenty of punches, kicks and explosions to satisfy the action lover in all of us. And, as Cap dishes out and takes in all the punishment he can, his partner and new lover, the beauteous Black Widow, engages in some subterfuge of her own to learn the shocking secret of what Batroc and Professor Chin were after. Most disturbingly, it relates back to the grisly fate of a former friend and ally of Bucky’s and a terrible secret Buck’s withholding even from his closest current friend and ally. For the action packed elements of this story, the interplay between Bucky and Natasha and excellent use of villains and cliffhangers, this issue gets my pick of the week, even though I’d really like to see Steve Epting back on the art chores.

Avengers/Invaders #7 of 12
Marvel Comics
Plot by: Alex Ross & Jim Krueger
Written by: Jim Krueger
Drawn by: Steve Sadowski & Patrick Berkenkotter
Cover: Alex Ross
Variant Cover: Pasqual Ferry & Frank D’Armata

Now that we’re more than half way through this series I’ve decided to give up on it altogether. I probably won’t even pick up the inevitable trade once it comes out. The premise is solid enough. In the Winter of 1943 Captain America, Bucky, Namor, The Original Human Torch and Toro step into a strange green mist and are thrown forward into the present world. With the original Captain America’s being dead today, Tony Stark decided the Mighty Avengers must capture the Invaders and send them back so as to avoid worldwide confusion and any changes to the lives of these historical figures could create for the present. Of course, Luke Cage’s New Avengers (still with Dr. Strange among them) are at odds with Stark’s and Ms. Marvel’s Mighty Avengers. And so, three a way conflict ensues among all the heroes which must work to the advantage of whatever evil force set these player in motion in the first place.

Whatever fears Stark has about changing the past may already have been realized, considering Bucky’s met and been warned of Zemo’s aerial bomb by his future self and Toro’s already visited his own grave. In the meantime, The Original Human Torch seems to have left the reservation, grieving over the “deaths” of SHIELD LMD’s from a previous battle and equating their deaths to the Nazi death camps he helped liberate. There was no doubt last issue that The Torch’s mind was being manipulated, the question was by whom and toward what end. With this issue we find some answers to these questions and some more questions, as well. And, having already seen a past/present Sub-Mariner conflict a couple of issues ago, there certainly is at least one similar conflict that was bound to happen. Sure enough, the set up for that meeting is essentially the buildup in this issue.

This story has been winding in long, circuitous directions. The art has been sloppy at best and sub-standard at worst. There’ve been moments of real potential throughout these seven issues but with very little payoff to make the reader (at least this reader) want to come back. Plus, despite the notes that this book takes place in current continuity, the inclusion of Dr. Strange shows that while we’re living in post-Civil War time it’s also pre-World War Hulk. Not exactly current continuity. As a result, this story feels a bit outdated, especially given all the post-Secret Invasion shake ups to The Avengers teams. Regardless, stick a fork in me. Despite my love of both The Invaders and Avengers, I’m done with this one. What a disappointment.

thecallahan
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Did any of the reviewers pick up Brubaker's new book, Incognito?

grandpa
01-03-2009, 05:27 PM
i swear captain america just keeps getting better and better
has always great reviews:)

JLM
01-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Joe, you are a reviewing machine. :thumbs2:

I was wondering about continuing to get Cap (which I've been buying trade) now that the Red Skull story has (apparently) concluded. Is it still worth picking up IYO?

wktf
01-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Joe, you are a reviewing machine. :thumbs2:

I was wondering about continuing to get Cap (which I've been buying trade) now that the Red Skull story has (apparently) concluded. Is it still worth picking up IYO?

Up until this issue I'd have said "no," of course that's only make my opinion based on two issues. I'd like to see where this one goes but it's certainly become interesting again.

wktf
01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Did any of the reviewers pick up Brubaker's new book, Incognito?

Sorry, not me.

JLM
01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Up until this issue I'd have said "no," of course that's only make my opinion based on two issues. I'd like to see where this one goes but it's certainly become interesting again.

Thanks for your input. I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled in this section of the forum. :)

wktf
01-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your input. I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled in this section of the forum. :)

Stay tuned, for sure. No doubt that I'll keep reviewing Cap, one of the best books out there. :thumbs2:

twisterred
01-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I enjoyed Incognito. The Icon line is putting out some really solid stuff. There's an interesting history of The Shadow at the end of the book for some reason. It was great story on the differences between the radio character and the pulp version. I can easily recommend this book to anyone who likes pulp stories.

thecallahan
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Even if the current Cap arc isn't the best, it's still interesting and it's not going to be a 20 issue long arc so it has that going for it. Only 2 or so issues out of 45 not being awesome is rather impressive in my book.

thecallahan
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I enjoyed Incognito. The Icon line is putting out some really solid stuff. There's an interesting history of The Shadow at the end of the book for some reason. It was great story on the differences between the radio character and the pulp version. I can easily recommend this book to anyone who likes pulp stories.

That's why I love Bru's Icon stuff. All those interesting extra's at the end of the issue.

whd
01-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't feel like the latest Justice Society issue was forced. It was definitely packed full, though. I don't feel like they made it too easy to defeat Gog and I like the drastic measure that had to be taken in order to accomplish it. I hope they package the whole storyline as an absolute edition to match the Kingdom Come one.

JLM
01-04-2009, 05:26 AM
Even if the current Cap arc isn't the best, it's still interesting and it's not going to be a 20 issue long arc so it has that going for it. Only 2 or so issues out of 45 not being awesome is rather impressive in my book.

That's certainly true. :)

wktf
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Totally agree.

wktf
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I didn't feel like the latest Justice Society issue was forced. It was definitely packed full, though. I don't feel like they made it too easy to defeat Gog and I like the drastic measure that had to be taken in order to accomplish it. I hope they package the whole storyline as an absolute edition to match the Kingdom Come one.

Well, for me, he was taken down and out too quickly and too easily. Drastic and kind of surprising as Superman's tactics were.

wktf
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Y'know, damn, I think I missed the latest issue Magneto: Testament at the lcs last week. If so, and if it's there this week, I'll be reviewing it for the next reviews. Talk about taking a comic book "to the next level."

Primal
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
NO WAY would I say that JSA was a "major dissapointment" but I will agree that Gog was dispatched easier than I would've liked. I still enjoyed the book and LOVED Ross' painted pages that showed the future of the Kingdom Come Earth. That was really a nice treat! Although there was a bit of sadness in there as well. :(

SPOILER: HIGHLIGHT BETWEEN THE ASTERISKS BELOW TO READ:

****I'm referring to the panel where they showed Bruce's funeral. :bawling: ****

rilynil
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM

+1. I believe the series has lost a tad of steam lately (athough the series had beaucoup steam to spare for an incredibly long time). That said, I'm still enjoying every issue. To me at least, it's lost a bit of its urgency, which, considering what all happened during the past 20something issues, is not entirely surprising.

I really like Bucky as Cap. :)

bat_collector
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
what do you think is the easiest way to get the entire run of thor, and the daredevil/cap issues I missed out on?

ebay?

rilynil
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I've got to agree with you Joe about the Avengers Invaders series. Although I'm going to stick with it, I'm far from enthralled. I can only assume that this must be taking place before World War Hulk since Dr. Strange is here. Also, I guess that this is the Skrull Spider-Woman. Then there is the presence of the Wasp, who supposed to be very dead. (The Wasp also shows up in the latest Fantastic Four, along with Spider-Woman.). The lack of continuity bugs me, but, as long as I can find a logical timespot in the Marvel Universe, I try not to let it ruin the story.

However, my biggest problem with Avengers Invaders is ... the story. I'm just not hooked. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it's just the truth. Plus, the issues are coming out too slowly, which hinders my excitement even more. :(

rilynil
01-04-2009, 01:16 PM
what do you think is the easiest way to get the entire run of thor, and the daredevil/cap issues I missed out on?

ebay?

As for Thor, issues 1-6 are out in trade paperback. Since there are only 14 issues so far, eBay or you LCS might be the easiest place to get the last eight.

thecallahan
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM

ebay?

Cap has an omnibus for the first 25 issues. Bendis' entire run is available trade hc or omnibus. Bru's DD is out in tpb and the first 20 or so issues will be released sometime in the new year in an omnibus

rilynil
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
The Brubaker Captain America omnibus is awesome. :)

wktf
01-04-2009, 07:22 PM
NO WAY would I say that JSA was a "major dissapointment" but I will agree that Gog was dispatched easier than I would've liked. I still enjoyed the book and LOVED Ross' painted pages that showed the future of the Kingdom Come Earth. That was really a nice treat! Although there was a bit of sadness in there as well. :(

SPOILER: HIGHLIGHT BETWEEN THE ASTERISKS BELOW TO READ:

****I'm referring to the panel where they showed Bruce's funeral. :bawling: ****

I hear you, Omar. But, for me it just ended too suddenly both for Gog and for Earth-22 Superman. It just seemed like too tidy a wrap up.

I agree with your spoiler comment, too, but while sad I felt this was more like a "circle of life" moment as it happened far enough in the future.

moon_knight1971
01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I agree with wktf. The JSA ride was decent until this issue. Gog is disposed of way too easily, in literally 2 pages. Gog had powers beyond Darkseid yet was taken down as eaily as the Riddler. If Black Adam was not going to be in the next and final Johns JSA arc then I would drop it now entirely.

whd
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I hear you, Omar. But, for me it just ended too suddenly both for Gog and for Earth-22 Superman. It just seemed like too tidy a wrap up.

I agree with your spoiler comment, too, but while sad I felt this was more like a "circle of life" moment as it happened far enough in the future.

I'm especially fond of the way they worked in the Legion panel from the first issue of Kingdom Come and made it matter. :thumbs2: