PDA

View Full Version : Paperback/Hardcover Books

Tony Coca
04-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I was just wondering what the hell is up with Marvel & DC Comics.I was over at comic continuum and I noticed that Marvel is making a Trade Peperback of X-Men/Fantastic Four,has this story even finished yet.Im tired of Marvel making Trade paper backs of books that are just recently finished in story lines.I remember growing up that paperbacks were done of books that were at least a year or two had past.Hell I remember picking up the Dark Phoenix trade because I never got a chance to read the entire story ( I knew she had died)and It was over two years when they made it.Hell It took what a ten year ann. for DC to make the Crisis Hardcover.Marvel & DC have to stop this nonsense.

Nightcrawler777
04-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I was just wondering what the hell is up with Marvel & DC Comics.I was over at comic continuum and I noticed that Marvel is making a Trade Peperback of X-Men/Fantastic Four,has this story even finished yet.Im tired of Marvel making Trade paper backs of books that are just recently finished in story lines.I remember growing up that paperbacks were done of books that were at least a year or two had past.Hell I remember picking up the Dark Phoenix trade because I never got a chance to read the entire story ( I knew she had died)and It was over two years when they made it.Hell It took what a ten year ann. for DC to make the Crisis Hardcover.Marvel & DC have to stop this nonsense.

See i have to disagree...

With how quickly marvel has been putting out TPB it has made it possible that i can stop buying monthly books and only buy trades..
im much happier getting the trades..
i like the whole story all at once...

Garrett
04-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I’m a little peeved too I have bought 3 mini series lastly Loki, Endsong and the X-Men/FF and they all have come out in HB at near or cheaper than the set of the comics. In future I will not be buying any more mine series not unless I cannnot afford to miss it like the End Song. and just wait for the HB.

Tony Coca
04-03-2005, 04:20 PM
what I dont understand is why are they making Hardcover TB of storylines.Like the ultimate X-Men have little sub stories and they make Trades out of it.Crazy.

Jack8022
04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I like the HB format alot better than the trades but the ones I've gotten have been of runs not storylines. For example: the Avengers Assemble HCs just are great since Perez's artwork really pops in the oversized format. But that's a block of 12 issues. I couldn't see buying the HC if they were only the current 5-6 issue storylines.
Just my 2 cents.

bat_collector
04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I buy trades of books I don't regularly buy or are too hard to find if you didn't get it immediately (Loki). I like the covers, individual issues, and variants way too much!

Mr. Mojo
04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
It's my understanding that Marvel is producing more trades because they've been reducing the print sizes of their books. That way if someone doesn't get a copy of any given title they'll be able to pick it up in trade form. It's Marvel's way of increasing the demand for first run issues. Hell, I'm still ticked off that they stopped doing Annuals years back. :mad:

Pietro722
04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I can understand if a consumer prefers one format over an other. I tend to purchase the actual comic book most of the time but also pick up TPB and HC for certain books.

What I do not understand is why anyone would be upset over a company issuing a TPB or HC even if the storyline just ended. What is exactly there to get upset over?
Do you think it devalues the comic book? Face it the days of making a mint on back issues is way over!

It only makes sense to me to release a TPB or HC while the story is still fresh.

Tony Coca
04-06-2005, 08:16 PM
I can understand if a consumer prefers one format over an other. I tend to purchase the actual comic book most of the time but also pick up TPB and HC for certain books.

What I do not understand is why anyone would be upset over a company issuing a TPB or HC even if the storyline just ended. What is exactly there to get upset over?
Do you think it devalues the comic book? Face it the days of making a mint on back issues is way over!

It only makes sense to me to release a TPB or HC while the story is still fresh.
Its not about devaluing the books its the fact that its overcrowding the selves with books that people could just buy the back issues.

Garrett
06-27-2005, 09:16 AM

No peeved that I spend more on flimsy comics then find a more robust HB which is the same price or cheaper with added art or added story.

lord odin
06-27-2005, 09:24 AM
I download any mini series that way I don`t spend any money.
but I still buy the monthly comics and sometimes a TPB of older stuff.