PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a book...

isculpt
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I wanna start picking up books again(too much comics:eplus2: ) And was wondering what you guys would recommend? Just an example of what I like to read: Neil Gaiman's American Gods, any Epics, etc.

k9ziggy
01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
David Eddings wrote a 5 book series called the Belgariad which is outstanding. There is a follow up series called the Mallorean, also 5 books.

First book is titled "Pawn of Prophecy".

The Dragon Lance originals were very good. Dragons of....Autumn Twilight, Winter Night and Spring Dawning.

Tom Clancy's "Without Remorse"

The early R.A. Salvatore books, starting with The Crystal Shard.

nbr3bagshotrow
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
L Ron Hubbard

Battlefield Earth

Mandragora
01-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Clive Barker's "Imajica"

M. John Harrison "Light"

Neal Stephenson "Snow Crash"

TNovak
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Can't go wrong with the late greats Karl Edward Wagner and Philip K Dick.

For Wagner there are nice complilations available for his "Kane" character, my personal favorite.

The Midnight Sun (read this one first)
and
Gods In Darkness

or if you search out his old PB's

Nightwinds
Darkness Weaves
Death Angel's Shadow
Bloodstone
Dark Crusade

Babytoxie
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Based on what you mentioned above...

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

CocoPUFF
01-22-2009, 01:26 AM
If you're into fantasy, I reccomend "The wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan

Cant go wrong with this one

twoferflinchin
01-22-2009, 03:15 AM
If you're into fantasy, I reccomend "The wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan

Cant go wrong with this one

I loved this series to start, but Lordy, it got old fast. Check out George RR Martin's "A Game Of Thrones", best fantasy novel out there.

CocoPUFF
01-23-2009, 02:48 AM
I loved this series to start, but Lordy, it got old fast. Check out George RR Martin's "A Game Of Thrones", best fantasy novel out there.

Actually I was going to check out the song of ice and fire. Someone told me that was a great series. the WOT series never got old for me. I was hooked from eye of the world to the knife of dreams, and i am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the final installment! I'm a huge WOT fan and the depth of that series is part of what keeps me at bay. Every single 'subplot' is a page turner. I'm hoping for a LOOONG final book! I just want all the loose ends tied up. And there were plenty when I left off in the last book! But I'll put a game of thrones on my list of books to check out:)

JLM
01-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Holes by Loius Sachar. :)

DarkKni9hT
01-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Tad Williams' four book series "Otherland". Just a masterful piece of reading. It's epic. Lord of the Rings epic.

twoferflinchin
01-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Actually I was going to check out the song of ice and fire. Someone told me that was a great series. the WOT series never got old for me. I was hooked from eye of the world to the knife of dreams, and i am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the final installment! I'm a huge WOT fan and the depth of that series is part of what keeps me at bay. Every single 'subplot' is a page turner. I'm hoping for a LOOONG final book! I just want all the loose ends tied up. And there were plenty when I left off in the last book! But I'll put a game of thrones on my list of books to check out:)

If you liked Wheel Of Time, you'll love A Game Of Thrones. I Liked WOT, but the story could have done without a lot of the filler. Put a few hours aside if you pick up GOT, because you won't want to put it down.

sellin71
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Fools Die by Mario Puzo