PDA

View Full Version : Bat-Reviews, 04/08/05

bat_collector
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Great Week for Comics! It seems most of my faves came out this week. Now to spotlight three books.

BOOK OF THE WEEK:
The Walking Dead #17
In a week where long awaited issues of Superman/Batman and GL: Rebirth, Walking Dead easily takes the award for best book of the week, and easily on of the best in a consistently great series already.
The series, which focuses on a group of survivors in a post-zombie apocalpyse world, took a big turn this week. A psycho killer is loose, and when his identity is revealed it divides the group on figuring out the best way to deal with the situation. Should he be killed for his crimes? Who makes that decision? Should Rick, the leader of the group for so long, be allowed to make the decision he feels best in this situation w/o considering the opinions of others? Other issues have popped up as well. How will the group apologize to the black inmate (who is still locked up) they were so ready to accuse of the murder? How will the father of the two massacred children respond when the initial shock is gone? Can the group really rebuild a society where so much distrust lies? Its issues like this that make this series the best on the market.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #4
The best thing about this series is the explanation of Hal Jordan's history. I knew about Green Lantern all my life, but I know nothing about him. The series has done a great job explaining to newbies like myself all about GL and his world. In this series, Hal Jordan faces off against Sinestro, and it recaps their first encounter, when Sinestro was still one of the "good guys."
And it couldn't end any better, w/ Jordan and remaining Green Lanters about to head into a final battle w/ the yellow monster, but beign held back by a distrustful Batman and rest of the Justice league.

Zatanna #1
I must admit, I don't have a clue what happened in this issue. It starts with DC resident magician joining a support group for Super-heroes w/ low self esteen and telling them how she took a short cut and brought into the world great evil. Her friends died after going through some weird dimensional magic thingy. And it ends with the support group saying "hang in there." Huh?
The only thing that tied this in with the rest of Seven Soldiers is one of the other members saying she is heading out west to join a new super hero group. I think we know what happened to her.
I want to like this series, but Moorison sometimes just runs off on a comic expecting his readers to know exactly what is going on when it isn't apparent.
This is a classic example.