PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 2/19/09

wktf
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
The Mighty Dawg is traveling for business today but plans to post up his reviews a little later. Until that time, the two of us will try to represent!

Wktf’s Reviews

Dark Avengers #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Mike Deodato
Cover by: Mike Deodato
Cover variant by: Mike Choi

Last issue, the first of Marvel’s new “Dark Reign” Dark Avengers comics, Norman Osborn’s Avengers made themselves known to the world and, as if to add insult to injury, they co-opted the identities of existing Avengers for his rogues gallery of “heroes.” So, Venom is now The Amazing Spider-Man, Logan’s whacko son Daken is now Wolverine, Moonstone now is Ms. Marvel, Bullseys is Hawkeye, and Marvel Boy is being called Captain Marvel. Worse, Osborn’s stolen Stark’s armor and is calling himself the Iron Patriot. Oh, right, and the two resident psychos of Ares and Sentry are on board as well. The major obvious flaw in this concept is that when these Osborn-approved Avengers go out to tackle the world’s menaces we’re not really sure who to root for. Villains vs. villains with no real heroes doesn’t make for all that interesting a concept. The first issue was a bit of a strain to get through and this issue’s proving no less different.

So, last issue was saw Morgana le Fey come back to our time with some righteous rage against our own Victor Von Doom. She believes Doom used her, broke her heart even, to gain access knowledge of the dark arts. So, as a woman scorned, she comes looking for blood. And hell hath no fury, that’s for sure. Coincidentally, Doom’s being dropped off at the ruins of what once was Latveria by some HAMMER agents when Morgana comes calling. And the Dark Avengers, barely able to stand each others’ company, find themselves looking for something to do. One desperate call from the battle scene and these guys are on their way.

I’ll admit Deodato, whose art usually seems overly exaggerated and sloppy to me, does a great job with the rendering here. And there even are a few shockingly high impact moments, mostly involving Sentry, Morgana and Venom. But I find myself back to looking for a reason why I should care about any of this. Do bad guys battling each other mean anything if there’s not a hero involved? Maybe it can, but it doesn’t in this case, and not with these characters. Sure, Doom is potentially the greatest comic book villain ever created, but he’s barely a factor here. Bullseye also is one of my favorite villains but, I guess, I’m finding out, only when he’s going up against Daredevil. And I’ve always loved The Green Goblin but he’s nowhere to be found even though Osborn’s front and center. By the end of the issue these Avengers are in some serious trouble and my primary impulse was to get to my next comic. Not a good sign.

Ghost Rider #32
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: Tan Eng Huat
Cover by: Arthur Suydam

Okay, for anyone who hasn’t been reading the “Last Stand of the Spirits of Vengeance” you’ve been missing out on some seriously fantastic comic book storytelling. Seriously, DC thinks they had a “Final Crisis” going on with their books? They haven’t seen anything if they haven’t been reading Ghost Rider. What we’re talking is a final crisis of absolutely Biblical proportions. For those who haven’t been tracking this book, first of all, it turns out that Ghost Rider is NOT a pawn of Satan. Jason Aaron has turned this character’s mythos on its head and shown him to be a weapon of Heaven, the embodiment of God’s own spirit of vengeance. Think The Spectre but with a flaming skull head and on a motorcycle and you get a wickedly cool and terrifying concept of divine wrath. And how did this happen? Well, in the same way that Lucifer is a fallen angel, another renegade angel named Zadkiel created Earth’s many Ghost Riders, including Johnny Blaze’s version.

Now, however, Zadkiel has made it his mission to knock down the walls to the kingdom of Heaven and claim the city behind the Pearly Gates as his own. Zadkiel has duped Danny Ketch, Johnny Blaze’s crazed fellow Ghost Rider brother, into absorbing the power of Earth’s Ghost Riders and return that power to Zadkiel under the pretense of protecting Heaven’s Gates against its enemies. The reality though, as we’ve learned over the past few issues, is that Zadkiel wants to use that power to conquer Heaven itself! Add to this mix some Conga Voodoo Ghost Riders, a deranged former cop gunning for Blaze with a shotgun that blasts hellfire, a motorcycle race around the world to decide the fate of Heaven and Earth, and a page full of awesome Marvel guest stars in a throwback tribute to Steve Englehart’s Avengers #118, near the end of the Avengers/Defenders War when existence faced annihilation from Dormammu, and you have one loud, rocking and simply spectacular end to this story arc with one of the biggest questions ever to hit a comic book reader.

If anyone needed evidence as to why Jason Aaron was chosen as Wizard’s 2008 Comic Book Writer of the Year, you need look no further than Ghost Rider. Of course, you also could and should read what Aaron’s been doing with Scalped and Wolverine: Manifest Destiny. And you should most definitely pick up his Secret Invasion: Black Panther issues. The Skrulls simply experienced more hurt in Black Panther than anywhere else in the Marvel Universe. Back to Ghost Rider, add Tan Eng Huat’s wildly frenetic art to Aaron's writing, reminiscent a bit of Lenil Yu’s work, and you have a stunning creative team on this book. So, in closing, is it true? What will the impact of this issue be on the Marvel Universe? How can it not affect the entire Marvel Universe? Secret Invasion and Dark Reign are nothing, nothing I tell you, compared to what’s happened here. And Final Crisis? Compared to Ghost Rider? Feh, I tell you! Yeah, this book is my pick of the week.

Nightwing #153
DC Comics
Written by: Peter J. Tomasi
Drawn by: Don Kramer
Cover by: Don Kramer

Alright, granted, this book came out last week. But my lcs got shorted a bunch of books last week, including this one, and didn’t get them in until this week. So, to me, this is a new comic. I’ve reviewed Nightwing a few times since Tomasi’s started writing it and have found it seriously lacking. It just has not packed any real punch. But this issue is supposed to be this member of the Bat Family’s final issue and it looked to be a retrospective, of sorts, of Dick’s life as a result of Batman. So, against my better judgment, I picked it up.

As usual, I should have listened to myself. Sure, some of the scenes with Alfred and especially Tim were touching. But, all in all, this was a throw away issue. Having just established himself in New York, Dick returns to Gotham in the wake of Batman’s “death.” I put that in quotes because even though everyone seems to talk about Batman’s being dead but Final Crisis #7 sure didn’t make it seem that way. Anyway, he’s taken up residence in Wayne Manor and is working to restore The Batcave following the battle with Hush back a few months ago in Detective Comics. Dick thinks about the obvious parallels between his childhood tragedy and Bruce’s, and realizes how much he loves and owes Bruce for his current life. Kramer does his usual yeoman’s job on the art. After his stint with Dini on Detective I always like to see his work on a Batman title. Except this issue’s art feels uninspired. And it’s not that this is bad writing or art, it’s just that the entire issue feels unnecessary. As if we need to pay another $2.99 to experience Dick’s closure which really isn’t closure at all. I’ve been reading great things about Tomasi’s writing on Green Lantern but, as for Nightwing, I for one am glad this book is coming to an end.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Justice League of America #30
DC Comics
Written by: Dwayne McDuffie
Drawn by: Jose Luis (filling in for Ed Benes)

For those of you who have been around, before his time on the Justice League Dwayne McDuffie was one of the founders of Milestone Media, a coalition of black artists and writers (including Denys Cowan, Chrisscross, Humberto Ramos and Mark Bright) who published comics under the DC Comics banner in the 1990’s. The most popular character to come from this venture was Static Shock (most popular with his cartoon and his guest spots on JLU and Batman Beyond) but he was just one of many. As announced at SDCC this past summer, DC is bringing the Milestone stable of characters back in play and this months issue of JLA helps kick it off with Icon, Hardware and the Shadow Cabinet all making their DCU debut. For a bit of a refresher, Icon aka Augustus Freeman the IV was an alien who crash landed in a cotton field in the American South. Raised as a slave, Augustus posed as his own offspring and eventually became a wealthy lawyer, a wealthy lawyer with superpowers who was quietly biding his time until Earth’s technology would catch up to his and he could eventually leave the planet. Circumstances dictated otherwise and he became the costumed hero Icon. Hardware, aka Curtis Metcalf was a child prodigy who was put through school by Edwin Alva, a prominent businessman. As payment for the tuition Curtis was expected to work for Alva upon graduation which he did making Alva millions. When Curtis wanted a share of the profits Alva shot him down and the nature of their relationship was revealed; Alva considered Curtis his property. A usefull tool, nothing more nothing less. It didn’t help things when Cutis found Alva to be completely corrupt and basically an evil bastard. To get his ironic revenge Curtis used Alva’s technologies to create the Hardware Armor, a battlesuit of advanced technology to bring Alva to justice and put a wrench in his evil ways (well, basically to bi%$ slap the motherfu%$er, brother Curtis was one pissed off cat). This finally brings us to the Shadow Cabinet, a secret organization that proactively sought out societal threats while they were in their infancy and stopped them before they became anything dangerous. Lead by Harry Chawney, aka Dharma (a precog) the group worked in the Shadows to Take down bad guys, hard, before they even did anything wrong. Rounding out the team was Blitzen (super fast), Donner (super strong and invunrable), Iron Butterfly (control over Metal), Starlight (electromagnetic powers), Iota (shrinking powers), and Twighlight (other-dimensional powers). So how does the JLA react to Dakota’s greatest heroes?

Our story opens with JLA reserve member Dr. Light. No, not the asshole Dr. Light who assaulted the Elongated Man’s wife but the female Dr. Light, Dr. Kimiyo Hoshi, PhD in Astrophysics. Her powers have been on the fritz of late, so she’s been placed on reserve status with the league. Forced to work at STAR Labs to make ends meet, Dr. Hoshi is a little more salty than usual, and is further agitated when Hardware and the Shadow Cabinet show up at her apartment and seemingly kidnap her (gasp!). Meanwhile, the JLA is sorting through some problems. Black Canary feels like the big three are talking down to her, Red Arrow and Hawkgirl are having relationship issues and Firestorm is still the new guy learning the ropes. Things get rolling when the team receives a distress signal from Dr. Hoshi and find themselves face to face with Icon, Hardware and the rest of the Shadow Cabinet the two teams go at it, seemingly, but Icon and Superman seem to have something else going on. The JLA seems to have the upper hand, which brings us to the current issue (after last month’s hiatus from the story). After fighting, our two teams end up united against a common foe (I know, shock), the newly powered up Shadow King (yes, he’s still a di$#). I should also mention this is an Origins and Omens issue (whatever that means, I could care less about “Final Crisis), and next issue is going to have huge changes considering that the big three are going to be out of the DCU (what? Whatever, “Final Crisis” can kiss my a$#) but whatever, this issue also has the Milestone U set up in a major way in the DCU, and that’s a good thing.

Icon, Hardware, The Shadow Cabinet, Ed Benes, Dwayne McDuffie, what more can I say other than oh hell yeah. I always felt Shadow Cabinet didn’t get enough love back in its heyday (then again, no Milestone book did) and its great to see those characters back in action. Even better, the best writer on the JLA in the last 20 years (plus the best artist, Benes, who is taking a break this month), who could ask for anything more?

Moon Knight #27
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Jefte Palo
Cover by: Gabrielle Del ‘Otto

Moon Knight, aka Mark Spector aka Jake Locley aka someone whom you don’t want to **** with if you are a bad guy. Born out of war, mercenary Mark Spector was beaten and left for dead and saved by the Egyptian Moon god to kick ass for him and fight evil. He’s has more than one series for Marvel Comics throughout the years, has been an Avenger (on the west coast anyway) and is now fighting on the side of the registration act. Well, not really. See, in superstar writer Mike Benson’s (HBO’s Entourage) first story arc Tony Stark tried to get him on board but Mark would rather beat the living **** out of drug dealers than have any part of Tony’s nonsense. Well, that and the ghost of the Bushman (an old enemy of his who just happens to be missing his face) is guiding Marks actions, encouraging him to, well, pound the crap out of people and maim them in nasty ways. Tony Stark tried his hardest to get Mark under control, but didn’t do such a good job so the powers that be decided to send in the Registration’s big guns. Well, their psychotic guns anyway with a bunch of sociopaths better known as the Thunderbolts. The T-bolts did their best and managed to kill Mark Spector. The only problem? Jake Lockley survived, and relocated to Mexico, and so it goes…

The new story arc, “Down South”, starts out pretty fu$#king bad-ass. Jake Lockley is alive and well (for those of you who don’t know, Jake Lockley was the NYC Cab Driver identity of Moon Knight, yes, same guy as Mark Spector) and living in Mexico, fighting in underground bouts to pay the bills. His skills earn him a rep, and soon a rich man whose daughter has been kidnapped asks him for help. By asking him I mean he offers him a ton of money to get his daughter back. Meanwhile, a mysterious man has Jake Lockley in his rifle sights, and well, okay he’s not so mysterious. His name is Frank Castle, aka the Punisher. All this and the Bushman is still talking to Jake, even though he takes an even stranger form than before in. Our story continues in issue 27 with Jake learning all is not as it seems and he got played, and he has a guardian angel with a big freakin’ skull on his chest watching his back too. All this and some Lucha Libre’s enter the scene and I’m thinking there is going to be a big fu$#ing brawn next issue…

Hell ****ing yeah. Mike Benson is the man. Mike’s had Moon Knight for awhile now, and every issue has been nothing short of an ass kicking festival of bad assness. With the sharp, modern dialogue Mike Benson is known for from his television work (Entourage) David Mamet could dare write Moon Knight better (and I’m a huge Mamet fan). Moon Knight sort of going back to his mercenary roots, getting raw in Mexico with the Punisher in the mix? Hell yeah. So buy it already. Word. My pick of the week.

Dawg’s Review
Amazing Spider-Man #587
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marc Guggenheim
Drawn by: John Romita Jr.

Everybody’s favorite wall-crawler has seen his share of crap in the past year. He’s had just about everything wrong that can happen to a guy, happen. This issue is no exception to that rule either. With plenty of running plot threads coming to the surface for our hero, something has to give. Last issue Menace (whom we now know as Harry Osborn’s girlfriend Lily) beat the ever-lovin' snot out of Spidey for her own political motivations and left him unconscious for the police. He has been captured by said police and is in custody. He has been hunted down and framed for murders he did not commit by a group of corrupt cops, whom are tired of seeing Spider-Man act outside of the law. Our hero is NOT doing well and everyone else seems to be capitalizing on this for his or her own benefit.

Spider-Man is seconds away from being unmasked during a police interrogation, when his lawyer and friend Matt Murdock (Daredevil) crashes the party and saves Spidey’s secret identity from being discovered. With a fair amount of skill and knowledge of how to work the system, Murdock keeps Peter Parker’s face from being revealed as the one under the webbed mask. You gotta love that Matt Murdock guy for kicking ass legally by day, and ninja-!%&!%&!%&!%&!%& slapping criminals by night.

Meanwhile Pete’s roommate Vin is revealed to be one of the corrupt cops behind Spider-Man’s framing and thus becomes the fall guy. He is taken to jail, the very same jail that Spidey is in and you all know what happens to cops in general population… Spidey whom has been biding his time on Matt Murdock’s say, sees his friend and roommate in trouble and despite Vin hating Spidey, he is Peter’s friend and Pete can’t let him get his cop ass beat by murderers, and general scum of the earth.

Superhero antics then ensue as Spider-Man does what he always does… protect people who hate his guts, because it’s the right thing to do.

What else can you really say about a pairing between Guggenheim, and JR Jr.? These two are badass behind the wheel of Spider-Man. Romita Jr. was born to draw these characters and no one can do it as well. I have always loved Guggenheim’s writing and he is cleverly pulling together many of the plot lines that have been hanging since the status quo changed a year ago. A lot of people left Spider-Man for good when the status quo changed. It’s a fair decision for those who did, but at the same time, the folks telling the stories now, sure are kicking ass too. Spider-Man is always a fun read and this week, it’s my pick of the week.

rilynil
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Great reviews, fellas!
Wow, it sounds like I've definitely been missing out on Ghost Rider, Joe. When did this storyline start? I'm going to pick this up one way or another.

wktf
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Neil, I think it started around #28. Since I'm at my office and don't have my books handy, I'm not sure exactly right now.

bat_collector
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Has anyone said if what happens in Ghost Rider really has an effect on the MU?

I mean if the repurcussions are greater than Secret Invasion or Dark Avengers, shouldn't it have been hyped up a bit?

wktf
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Has anyone said if what happens in Ghost Rider really has an effect on the MU?

I mean if the repurcussions are greater than Secret Invasion or Dark Avengers, shouldn't it have been hyped up a bit?

Yes, it should have. Not to reveal and spoil anything but the potential changes should effect Heaven and Earth, the entire universe of existance.

bat_collector
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
and nobody else is n the marvel u is aware of it?

wktf
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

I don't know what's going on with Marvel's editorial group...

thecallahan
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, Jason Aaron's first arc in GR is out in tpb already and I love it. I'm waiting for this arc to end and pick that up in tpb and I'll also get the individuals after that to keep up with the great read.

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy kicked ass this week and I think I'm going to drop UXM. I just can't bring myself to care.

wktf
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Actually, the ramifications from this issue haven't yet been felt. Even though there was a scene where certain characters (Thor, Spider-Man, Satan, Brother Voodoo, Man-Thing) all perceived "a disturbance in the force." I don't think we know yet how Heaven and Earth will be impacted.

Kdawg59
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Joe... I feel exactly the way you do about Dark Avengers...

I do love what Deodato is laying down here... but it's like... why should I care about these guys again?

rilynil
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm actually enjoying Dark Avengers. I enjoyed Thunderbolts, but this is Thunderbolts taken to a whole new level.

I'm extremely intrigued because it's a given that Osborn is eventually going to have a meltdown of epic proportions, and I can't wait to see what happens. Plus, I'm finding it very entertaining how this "team" struggles to get along. They're clearly not used to working like this, and that's interesting to me. I love that the status quo is all shot to hell.

protector2814
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Joe - I'm happily surprised with the review of Ghost Rider. Thanks so much for including this issue this week. It truly has been, i.m.o., Marvel's best under the radar book right from the get go. While not crazy with the directin Marvel's been taking with multiples of the same hero like they've been doing lately (Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Spidey, etc..) I gotta admit I make an exception for the two Riders. Danny and Johnny's "sibling rivalry" has made for one fantastic read.
It's the little, outside of the box books like Ghost Rider, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy that are really kickin' a$$ in the MU nowadayz. Like Nova, GR has yet to disapoint this entire run.

Sam - This Punisher Moon Knight team-up book has been really, really great and we haven't even seen that much of Frank yet. MK is one of the few characters I feel, can mix with the Punisher. Benson seems to even be bringing Ennis' Punisher into the book. While no longer a regulay MK buyer, I'm likin' this run.

JDH
02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Check out your Facebook page, Mighty Reviewers.:)

Sam Wilson
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I just saw that, nice brother. Nice... :D

wktf
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Whoa!!! Awesome logo, Jess! :thumbs2:

whd
02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm actually enjoying Dark Avengers. I enjoyed Thunderbolts, but this is Thunderbolts taken to a whole new level.

I'm extremely intrigued because it's a given that Osborn is eventually going to have a meltdown of epic proportions, and I can't wait to see what happens. Plus, I'm finding it very entertaining how this "team" struggles to get along. They're clearly not used to working like this, and that's interesting to me. I love that the status quo is all shot to hell.

Same here. I've always been a fan of villain, in spite of their tendency to be short-lived. The bad guys are often more interesting than the heroes and there is bound to be plenty of scheming among the ranks. I imagine the book probably won't last too long before Osborne and crew self destruct.

Doom went down too easily, though. I'm hoping that's just a ploy. Le Fey is a little too powerful and the time travel element is a bit silly. I tend to only like time travel when it's handled well.

wktf
02-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree that the villains can tend to be more interesting, but without the hero who are you rooting for. Frankly, as a reader, I feel a little directionless in this book...

wktf
02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Joe - I'm happily surprised with the review of Ghost Rider. Thanks so much for including this issue this week. It truly has been, i.m.o., Marvel's best under the radar book right from the get go. While not crazy with the directin Marvel's been taking with multiples of the same hero like they've been doing lately (Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Spidey, etc..) I gotta admit I make an exception for the two Riders. Danny and Johnny's "sibling rivalry" has made for one fantastic read.
It's the little, outside of the box books like Ghost Rider, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy that are really kickin' a$$ in the MU nowadayz. Like Nova, GR has yet to disapoint this entire run.

Sam - This Punisher Moon Knight team-up book has been really, really great and we haven't even seen that much of Frank yet. MK is one of the few characters I feel, can mix with the Punisher. Benson seems to even be bringing Ennis' Punisher into the book. While no longer a regulay MK buyer, I'm likin' this run.

You're welcome, Jerry. Yeah, I've been dormant on this book in the reviews up 'til now but, holy smokes, everything up to and including this point with Aaron's run has been just first rate.

And I couldn't agree more about Moon Knight and Sam's assessment. What a great read! Love the art, too!

JDH
02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Whoa!!! Awesome logo, Jess! :thumbs2:

Here it is a touch bigger if you have any need for it elsewhere.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/jdhgoodgrief/mightyreviewers1000.png

wktf
02-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Jess!

whd
02-22-2009, 12:48 AM
I agree that the villains can tend to be more interesting, but without the hero who are you rooting for. Frankly, as a reader, I feel a little directionless in this book...

I'm hoping it will be more about the shades of gray than good vs evil. Kind of a cross between the Sopranos and Super-Villain Team-Up.

I know I'm looking forward to the big showdown that's supposed to happen in New Avengers #50. The Dark Avengers definitely have the edge in the power department, but I'm guessing Cage's Avengers will have a few surprise maneuvers that might help level the playing field.