PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy may be full of alien life, thousands intelligent

Endless Wake
02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
There may be 100 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way, or one for every sun-type star in the galaxy, said Alan Boss, an astronomer with the Carnegie Institution and author of the new book "The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets."
In a paper published recently in the International Journal of Astrobiology, the researchers concluded that based on what they saw, at least 361 intelligent civilizations have emerged in the Milky Way since its creation, and as many as 38,000 may have formed.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/02/25/galaxy.planets.kepler/index.html

MrYac
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
i think it's fairly ignorant to think that in all the near infinite planets out there no others would have intellegent life on it

oddball
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
the discovery of life beyond earth sure would put a hole in the beliefs of all religion.

MrYac
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
the discovery of life beyond earth sure would put a hole in the beliefs of all religion.

nah, God just got bored and made some aliens, sounds fine to me:thumbs2:

lord odin
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Not if God is a member of a race of aliens.:confused2

riderV3
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
i think it's fairly ignorant to think that in all the near infinite planets out there no others would have intellegent life on it

No joke.

Tetragrammaton
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
I've heard these calaculations before.

The math used is flawed as they fail to take into account that among the 100 billion sun-type systems the set of parameters required for life (atmospheric conditions, gravity, distance from the star, water content, planetary rotation and revolution, stage of planetary life cycle, etc).

So, just because it is an Sol type star system with Earth-like planet, the chances for life to develop are extremely small.

The chances for this life to endure long enough to develop into intelligent life is also extremely small.

There are only 42 planets within the Miilky Way galaxy that currently sustain intelligent life.

Underdog07
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
There are only 42 planets within the Miilky Way galaxy that currently sustain intelligent life.

Tet - I assume you mean "could" or do you know something noone else does?

bomen
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM

This logic is flawed, at least based on my own knowledge and fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible. Tho, I don't believe in its' odds of being so (see Tet's argument, he is exactly right re: mathematical misinterpretations (again, at least based on current scientific knowledge for the characteristics needed to sustain life).

Either way, it doesn't conflict with Christianity, at least in the strictest interpretation.

joefixit2
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I am sure there are aliens on other planets. They just never come to earth because they know that Chuck Norris lives here.

Tetragrammaton
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Tet - I assume you mean "could" or do you know something noone else does?

Are you kidding, I barely know what everyone else does. :laugh:

lord odin
03-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I am sure there are aliens on other planets. They just never come to earth because they know that Chuck Norris lives here.
In God we Chuck.:buttrock:

Ink
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM

yep

Ink
03-02-2009, 07:33 AM

that's why it gets swept under the rug

Kirk Durfey
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
When I took astronomy classes in college 30 years ago, this was something Karl Sagan talked about. This is old news.

Vince-Vell
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Ya but we are the only ones with LOLCATS!!!!!!