PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a pretty good Zombie Novel

protector2814
03-20-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.zomboscloset.com/.a/6a00d83451d04569e2010536ef12d6970b-800wi

As a huge fan of Zombie fiction, I was pretty sure I'd read the cream of the crop if what's out there and available. The other day at Borders I noticed that they'd set up a zombie fiction endcap and there was a book I'd never heard of. I scooped it and killed it an a few days.

Dying To Live a novel of life among the undead by Kim Paffenroth was a pretty riviting pageturner. It picks up several weeks after the Zombie-Virus has destroyed civilization. Billions of the undead roam the world and a College English Professor wakes up in a kids treehouse to continue his trek accross country. Family munched, the guy is carrying the prerequiste baggage when he is helped by an interesting group of survivors. This book has a main character who has a 'gimmick' I didn't think I'd like nor buy but, by the end, I really did and rather enjoyed. Like several Zombie novels before it and Kirkman's Walking Dead, the old prison cliche' is used again but this time in a reverse angle way. Paffenroth uses Zombie children pretty effictively, I haven't read a lot of that before.
The book is pretty violently shocking at times but more like the Governor was in the Walking Dead. After Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon, Dying to Live is a pretty great Romero-esque zombie novel. Publ. in 2006, it's worth a pick-up if you dig the Zoms like I do. There are a couple of chapters that may offend the uninitiated. I've read a ton of zombie novels but at a few points in this book, even I was like "oh, lord no..he didn't just write that." I won't spoil the ending but the place the survivors occupy was pretty fresh. The book is a little too self-contained, at the end you realize that even though things may have calmed down around them, the world is still crawling with zombies. It sort of had a condenced The Stand feel about it.

Here's a Statue Forum link to an old Zombie-Fiction thread I started a while back. There's some good Zombie Book picks there too, if your so inclined.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=51901&highlight=zombie+fiction

Sinatra VonDoom
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll pick this up.:thumbs2:

bat_collector
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
sounds good