PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 3/26/09

wktf
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Wktf’s Reviews

I’ve been up since 4am, flying out and back today on a business trip, so I’m a little frayed around the edges. As a result, these reviews may be a bit more truncated than usual. Here goes nuthin’ (as my favorite idol o’ millions might say).

Daredevil #117
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

If you read the cover, this issue is “Return of the King Part Two.” However, the inside splash page says it’s Part One. Really, last issue was the Introductory tale about the Kingpin’s life in Europe since he agreed to leave the U.S., and the terrible events that brought him back to New York. Well, with this issue, The Kingpin is officially back and he’s out for blood. It’s no secret, if you read last issue, that Lady Bullseye and The Hand tracked Fisk to Spain and killed the woman and her children whom Fisk held dear, and then tried to set him on Daredevil for revenge. But Fisk not only is no fool but he’s also pragmatic and a planner (and realistic, too, by the looks of this issue’s slightly startling final page). And, as Djurdjevic’s absolutely stunning and slightly shocking and beautifully rendered cover implies, The Kingpin is out to make a deal, maybe even a partnership in his need for revenge.

Much of this issue felt to me like a Valentine to Frank Miller. Not only are DD and The Kingpin sizing each other up and renewing their relationship, if that’s what you call it, but we also are treated to Turk and the newly located Josie’s Bar. Sure, Bru continues his storyline with Dakota, Master Izo and Milla, or her parents to be more specific. But this issue feels like it’s all about returning old hornhead to his roots while also moving the current storyline forward. This one has the feeling of a massive, street level, wildly violent war coming up. Just the kind of story on which Daredevil’s title should focus. Recently it was announced that Andy Digle would be replacing Brubaker on DD when the title returns to its original numbering with issue #600. My opinion, Bru and Lark made a fantastic team on Gotham Central and they’ve dialed it up even a notch or two further with DD. I’ll be sorry to see them go but for now, while I’ve got ‘em here, I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this story arc. It’s placed all the right players in place, with the right motivations driving them for what may be the best arc of this team’s already spectacular run on this title.

Captain America #48
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Butch Guice with Luke Ross & Steve Epting
Cover by: Steve Epting

This issue ends what’s billed as a three part, but actually has been a six part, story that’s taken Bucky Barnes back to his roots, in more ways than one. The central villain of this story is a Chinese scientist named Professor Zhang Chin who, back in 1942 when Chin was only 12, Bucky and the rest of The Invaders had helped rescue. However, in 1968 Bucky, this time as the Winter Soldier, tried to assassinate Chin but instead ended but killing Chen’s innocent wife. Now a much older man, Chin is taking the remains of Bucky’s old partner, The Original Human Torch, and turning him into a virus-based weapon. Out of a combination of guilt for having killed Chen’s wife and a desire to “save” the Torch, The new Captain America teamed up with his other WWII ally, The Sub-Mariner, to infiltrate the Republic of China. Unfortunately, last issue saw both Cap and Namor’s being captured with Namor becoming a test subject for Chin’s new virus.

This being the final issue of this arc, even without Steve Epting handling the pencils exclusively, we should expect this to be pretty much an all out, desperate, shield slinging action issue and, indeed, on that count this issue absolutely delivers. Captured and bound, Barnes screams in helpless fury for Chin to release Namor, but it’s not until The Black Widow enters the action that Cap gets his reprieve and save. After which point we see both Cap and Namor tear into their foes with incredible fury, especially Namor whose anger takes his actions against his foes to a pretty shocking level. For a wrap up issue, this one was especially satisfying. The ending gave Cap some of the peace of mind and respect for which he was looking for his fallen friend, and which The Torch certainly deserved, even with the Dark Avengers’ making an unfortunate appearance. But the final page and panel carried the right level of weight and respect. Still, as noted, the whole issue suffers a bit without Steve Epting’s stunning pencil. Regardless, I’m making this issue my pick of the week.

Mighty Avengers #3
Marvel Comics
Written by: Dan Slott
Drawn by: Khoi Pham
Cover by: Khoi Pham

With this issue the extremely fun "Earth's Mightiest" introductory arc comes to an end. For those who haven’t been keeping up, the whole world has gone to hell. More specifically, the chaos god Cthon had taken over Quicksilver’s body and turned the world into his personal hellish playground. Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch, rounded up a motley assortment of heroes to tackle the problem. So, assembled here we have Hank Pym, now calling himself The Wasp out of respect for his murdered wife, Iron Man, Hercules, Amadeus Cho, US Agent, Jocasta, Jarvis, Stature and The Vision, and The Incredible Hulk. Thus far, this story has been laced with lots of action, genuine tension, Dan Slott’s personal brand of humor (very few can do superhero humor like Slott, just check out his She-Hulk run if you need more evidence), and Khoi Pham’s spectacular art. When Khoi was on Incredible Hercules he was rocking on all cylinders and, here, with Mighty Avengers he’s brought his full game, too. And, as an added bonus, we get Khoi’s take on The Mighty Thor!

This book has been great for good old fashion Silver Age Avengers bickering and in fighting. Just when the world crisis reaches its apex, what should happen? Iron Man, of all people, is taking shots at Pym’s credibility. The team becomes divided with the bigger guns trying to attack the problem more directly and the smaller guns, notably Pym and Cho tackling the arcane threat as if it were a problem of science. The end result is a villain in a bit of an unexpected and slightly hilarious bind allowing, of all heroes, Stature to get some serious licks in. This being the final issue we have to expect a resolution to the conflict and Pym to get his moment in the sun. However, there’s also a moment that takes us back to the very original roots of The Avengers that also informs us that not everything is, or may be, as it seems. I’m definitely along for the ride on this book. Slott brings a certain light and fun tone and quality to this title that lends welcome contrast to Bendis’ far heavier Dark and New Avengers, and Khoi Pham’s meticulous line work, detail and attention to facial expressions seems perfectly matched to deliver the action, tension and fun Slott’s story demands. Great, great superhero book.

Dawg’s Reviews

Dark Reign: Elektra #1 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Zeb Wells
Drawn by: Clay Mann

The most baddass, deadly assassin in the Marvel Universe is back. The Skrulls kidnapped her and she was the first casualty in the invasion. The Skrulls did not experiment on anyone else, but they did on Elektra and Norman Osborn wants to know why. Beaten and battered and lying at death’s door, Elektra is taken into SHIELD custody. There is only one problem with being taken into SHIELD custody. SHIELD does not exist and a more militant HAMMER run by Norman Osborn is in its place. They have no problem torturing information out of Elektra to see what she knows about the Skrulls.

Elektra spends most of this issue in captivity, but somehow to me, she seems deadlier than ever and you know that it will not end well for her captors Using their own tech against them, Paladin slides in as a HAMMER member, disables Elektra’s interrogators and tries to carve a piece of Elektra for his employer. In fact many people want Elektra dead for things she might not have done. While in captivity of the Skrulls.

I can tell you that every one always underestimates Elektra and that whole thing I mentioned about her being deadlier than ever, even those she was tied up? I was right. She has an escape scene that is worthy of the escape Hawkeye had from his captors in the Ultimates series using his fingernails as weapons. Yep E. uses a tooth that Paladin knocks out as a weapon and she gets loose and the badassery begins anew…

I love Elektra. I have missed her in comics and I wish she would get her own series that would take hold with Marvel. They can’t seem to get it right with her, or if they do, it is hard to sustain.

I have high hopes for this mini series, and my hope is that we will see Daredevil come calling as well, when Elektra finishes wiping the floor with HAMMER guards. Marvel should embrace Elektra as a character that is tied to Daredevil and not try to ignore that history in the midst of trying to give E. her own presence. This book is my pick of the week.

Messiah War #1 (1-shot prologue)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Craig Kyle/ Chris Yost
Drawn by: Mike Choi

For those of you who have been following X-Force and Cable, you know that Cable has been timesliding through the future and protecting the first mutant birth since M-Day. Cyclops’ wet work squad X-Force has been transported to the future to help him at all cost.

Bishop, the traitorous X-Man, has been hunting Cable with hopes of killing the child and saving his future. He has destroyed many timelines that Cable has slid into so that he may direct Cable into his trap. He has struck up a deal with a villain not seen in years to help him destroy Cable and the baby. Things could not possibly get worse for Cable.

With the help of the Beast, Cyclops has found the exact location that Cable is located almost a thousand years in the future. He has sent them to help Cable at this most dangerous time. What they find is a less than enthusiastic Cable and that the messiah baby is now 8 years old.

Not only do they Cable as not happy to see them, upon first arriving they encounter none other than Deadpool. How can you fight someone that has a healing factor that puts Wolverine’s to shame? You certainly can’t stab him in the brain and expect that this would work right?

Chris Yost and Craig Kyle really penning some awesomeness in the Marvel U. The two work insanely well with Mike Choi and Sonia Oback. I generally prefer Choi’s art to the somewhat muddier Clayton Crain’s on X-Force, so this 1-shot was a definite treat. I enjoyed every page of this book and I am really looking forward to most of the X-Titles these days. I was not able to say this a couple of years ago. This crossover with be worth picking up, and I am guessing we will be seeing quite a few plot turns along the way.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Thunderbolts #130
Marvel Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Bong Dazo
Cover by: Francesco Mattina

The Thunderbolts, once upon a time Marvel’s worst kept secret, are the Marvel U’s premiere team of anti-heroes. Literally, considering they were all villains at one point. Throughout the years they’ve changed their roster with Moonstone and Songbird always managing to hang on (except for the John Arcudi run when Thunderbolts became an underground fight club, yeah, I know…), and most recently Norman Osborne took over as chairperson. In case you have been under a rock, Norman Osborne used this as a stepping-stone to pretty much take over the Marvel Universe (Dark Reign for those who have been preoccupied elsewhere). So the Thunderbolts have changed it up once again, still villains, still ruthless and bad-assed, probably even more so now with Andy Diggle helming things. For those of you who don’t know his work, Andy Diggle is right up there with the biggest bad-asses in comic books (Jason Aaron, Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis would be on that list). He got his start on 2000 AD, giving that book balls once again, and I personally was introduced to him on DC/Vertigo’s retake on “The Losers” (one of the most underrated comics of the last 10 years). He transformed Ollie Queen from !%&!%&!%&!%&!%&-ass to bad-ass in “Green Arrow: Year One”. So how is he doing with Marvel’s #1 team of bad guys?

Last issue Dr. Samson was threatening to out Norman Osborne as a psychotic killer to the president, on Air Force One (for real). Norman Osborne, now the world’s new Tony Stark, has just publicly disbanded the T-bolts and was trying to sell his new world order to the president. The good Dr. didn’t want none of that. Before any of this went down, Norman had already assembled a new team of T-bolts, led by Yelena Belova (aka Black Widow 2), and comprised of Ant Man (the new, creepy one), Ghost, Headsman and Paladin. Anyway, Ant Man plants a gamma-emitter on Samson and before he can clue the president into what Norman really is, he finds himself hulking out. At the same time Air Force One finds itself under assault by the Green Goblin (?). Of course this was all a set up to make Norman Osborne look good, and thus a new team is born. At the end of the last issue, remember we found out that Songbird is still alive and kicking so all is not lost, which brings us to the present. “Magnum Opus” part two, a crossover with Deadpool. Oh yeah, it’s the T-bolts vs. the merc with a mouth, and it’s every bit the back and forth you would expect. The best part? Happens on the last panel. Word…

Andy Diggle, as I’ve stated before, is one of the most underrated guys in comics. Solid story, good dialogue, and enough bad-ass to last you until next month. Him on the Thunderbolts; putting Yelena Belova in charge? Genius. Word…

Justice League of America #31
DC Comics
Written by: Dwayne McDuffie
Drawn by: Shane Davis and Sandra Hope
Cover by: Ed Benes

I’m pretty sure this current issue of Justice League of America is a post-script to recent goings on in “Final Crisis”. Just to clarify, I could give a flying rat sh** about Final Crisis, or any Crisis for that matter (with maybe the exception of the Perez/Wolfman one back in the day). For an event that originally was meant to clear up continuity issues, well, DC has done a great job of fu**ing that up and making me not give a sh**. Anyway, for those of you who have been sleeping, Dwayne McDuffie has been kicking all kinds of a** on JLA (remember, most awesome superhero cartoon ever, Justice League Unlimited, was his brainchild). He brought some new characters to the team (Firestorm), he put Black Canary in charge, and he also found time to bring back most of the old Milestone Comics characters (yay). Now that is all changed, and due to bullshi** a** events only hardcore, virginal fanboys give a sh** about, the big three made their exit (Batman is not dead, fu** you Grant Morrison) and Hal Jordan feels Dinah has been fu**ing things up and decided to form his own splinter JLA group. So where is the team now?

As I stated earlier, things are a little tense with the league. Hal Jordan kinda did a total di** move and reformed a new JLA, with Green Arrow even. Of course that stung a little extra hard with Dinah, and the hits kept coming when Hal told he she hasn’t actually done anything league worthy during her tenure as chairwoman (yo, a**hole. For real, talking to my girl like that). Red Arrow is taking his leave too, and he’s now on the outs with Hawkgirl because she had some drama over in Final Crisis. The good news? Not much, Dr. Light (the Japanese chick), John Stewart and Vixen are all still around, but Dinah, well, Dinah has taken some hard hits and well, just read this issue.

Not sure what’s happening next, what I do know for sure is that Ed Benes is back next month and Dwayne McDuffie is still on board. If you’ve seen the previews, you probably know the future holds some Milestone characters in it, and that’s fine with me. In my opinion, McDuffie’s JLA is THE JLA, and I’m down for it as long as he’s there. Word…

wktf
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow, this is a first. Two full days since posting these reviews and not even a single comment.

Dawg, I loved Dark Reign: Elektra, as well!

JLM
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
My LCS got short shipped a box, so I only got my comics today, and have so far only read DD.

This issue really built on the last issue, and with the final panel, I'm already eager to get the next one.

wktf
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
DD rocked, JLM! :thumbs2:

JLM
03-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Indeed it did, and with Bru's first story dealing with the departure of the Kingpin from the US, it seems things are coming full circle with his final story being about the Kingpin's return.

rilynil
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey Joe, I haven't been able to catch up with my comics or reading the reviews. Work has been insane. We've had a round of buy-outs at work, as well as a round of unpaid furloughs announced this week. All I know is that I need my comics to read to help keep my sanity right now. LOL But things could be worse!

wktf
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds rough, Neil. I hope your comics relieve some of your stress.

protector2814
03-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Things have piled up this week, but don't think for a minute we don't appreciate the reviewer's effort. I've read the reviews, now I need to finish my comics and report back. The "Mighty" still stands. You all are still boss.

wktf
03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Things have piled up this week, but don't think for a minute we don't appreciate the reviewer's effort. I've read the reviews, now I need to finish my comics and report back. The "Mighty" still stands. You all are still boss.

Heh. Thanks, protector! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this past week's comics, too! :)

Bullseye
03-29-2009, 09:46 AM
very nice reviews Joe. DD sounds like a good read. But what is this Elektra the biggest has ass assassin LOL. Surely that's Bullseye;)

wktf
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Robert, you'll have to take that ranking up with the Dawg who wrote it. Is Bullseye more deadly, while Elektra's more of a bad ass? Hmmm...kind of like The Hulk's being stronger but Thor's being more powerful? Where does one end and the other begin...?

True enough, Bullseye took it to Elektra and brought her down hard. However, it looks like, just based on next month's cover and interior previews, they're up for a rematch next month!

Bullseye
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Cool stuff. What's your opinion on this new character Lady Bullseye?

whd
03-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been enjoying Slott's Mighty Avengers, but not quite as much as I hoped. I did think this story ended a lot stronger than it started out. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

wktf
03-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Cool stuff. What's your opinion on this new character Lady Bullseye?

She's a great new character. Powerful origin story and all kinds of deadly, not to mention mad skills. Aside from her name, she has nothing to do with Bullseye so it'll be interesting if those two ever meet.

protector2814
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Great reviews fellas, as always, thanks.
Wktf, I hate disagreeing with you, I'm with you on so much of what you write, but I feel DD is knee-deep into rehash teritory. How many times are we gonna see the fall and rise of Kingpin in a DD book? Instead of writing a Valentines day card to Miller, how's about Bru tackle a story that doesn't borrow heavily from Miller. We saw it with the last arc's Stick and Elektra rip-offs, we've been seeing it from the Bru-Beginings with the rain and dark-tones, we've seen it with the Hand and Matt's love life...I'm just a bit tired of it. He's taken the Miller legacy, painted it blacker and added more soap-opera. Did you also happen to notice that Kingpin now appears to be in his mid-30's. Making him more cut and formadable? Not a darn thing is this issue I haven't seen before... Sorry...I'm tired of Bru's run. 2 issues and $8 into a new arc and all that's really happened is...The Kingpin's back in NYC"

Dawg - Elektra's kick-off kicked a$$. I will point out that the story too borrowed a little from Miller's DD with Elektra's means of escape. I recall Bullseye pulling the almost same stunt with an orange seed found in the bottom of a glass of o-j while shackled. Besides that, it was nice to be reminded how damn deadly she is. I loved this 1st ish.

rilynil
03-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, I've finally caught up! I really enjoyed you guys' reviews. There was some great stuff this week! Elektra was awesome, as was the Messiah War and Mighty Avengers. Man, I love comics!

rilynil
03-31-2009, 02:01 AM
Say, did anybody read this week's Ms. Marvel? I didn't think I would have been so underwhelmed by what should have been a huge, dramatic issue. Bleh.

wktf
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM
...Wktf, I hate disagreeing with you, I'm with you on so much of what you write, but I feel DD is knee-deep into rehash teritory. How many times are we gonna see the fall and rise of Kingpin in a DD book? Instead of writing a Valentines day card to Miller, how's about Bru tackle a story that doesn't borrow heavily from Miller. We saw it with the last arc's Stick and Elektra rip-offs, we've been seeing it from the Bru-Beginings with the rain and dark-tones, we've seen it with the Hand and Matt's love life...I'm just a bit tired of it. He's taken the Miller legacy, painted it blacker and added more soap-opera. Did you also happen to notice that Kingpin now appears to be in his mid-30's. Making him more cut and formadable? Not a darn thing is this issue I haven't seen before... Sorry...I'm tired of Bru's run. 2 issues and $8 into a new arc and all that's really happened is...The Kingpin's back in NYC...

It's all good, Protector. Healthy disagreement and discussion is what makes these reviews fun. I actually don't see this as rehashing old Miller work. We often see legacy villains appear in heroes comics, like the Green Goblin with Spider-Man, but don't think of it as rehashing Lee/Ditko. I actually think this take on The Kingpin is refreshingly different. He's on a singular mission, one from which he doesn't expect to return, and has actually enlisted Daredevil's help. This is a new and darker twist on their relationship. I also don't see Izo and Lady Bullseye as Stick and Elektra wannabes though, certainly, I can see how you and others would see them that way. I think there's a relationship between Izo and Stick, possibly Stick's mentor, but that hasn't been explored. I also think this arc is a cool "full circle" story coming back around to Bru's first Prison arc with DD, Kingpin, Bullseye and Punisher to cap off his run.

Did you read the interview with Andy Diggle, who also said he'd be keeping to many of Miller's themes? It seems, with DD, Miller is just too strong an influence for writers to move away from.

protector2814
04-01-2009, 04:11 PM
"whew" - Glad to read your response 'cause I know we have tons to talk about w/ the Werewolf by Night conclusion. Disagreeing is indeed part of the fun. Thanks. One day, at some con, I plan on buying you a beer and hashing out the Bru run on DD.